Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > What movie did you not get?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 87 (87 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Aynge (last edited Dec 03, 2010 02:32PM) (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments Me: 2001 A Space Odyssey.

What was that giant Hershey bar thing? Was it supposed to be God?

What the hell happened to Dave? What was going on in that weird room at the end? Did he turn into a baby?

message 2: by Leslie (last edited Dec 02, 2010 06:53PM) (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Aynge wrote: "Me: 2001 A Space Odyssey.

What was that giant Hershey bar thing? Was it supposed to be God?

What the hell happened to Dave? What was going on in that weird room at the end?"

I know! I never understand what the heck is going on. I figure someone was smoking the happy weed when writing that film. Well, for me, it was Napolean Dynamite. I couldn't even bear to finish watching it. Totally lame, but all my coworkers went around quoting it like it was funniest movie ever.

message 3: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24358 comments Mod
Inland Empire.

message 4: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
I'm Still Here

message 5: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) We know you are, Sally. This thread is about movies.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I love Mulholland Drive!

I don't quite get Lost in Translation. I like Bill Murray and Scarlett Johanson okay, but I want there to be more there, somehow.

message 7: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) With Lost in Translation, it was all about the things that were never said. That couldn't be said.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I guess that's just hard for me to relate to, Larry. I'm pretty forthright when I need to be.

And not exactly true - things were being said in that movie, WE just didn't get to hear what they were. Aaaaah! Hate that!

message 9: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I didn't remember that part.

message 10: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments I liked Mulholland Drive too, Jackie. With Syriana, I felt like I needed a scorecard or a user's manual in order to understand what was going on and eventually kind of lost interest. I might give it another try at some point.

message 11: by Sally, la reina (new)

Larry wrote: "We know you are, Sally. This thread is about movies."

No, the movie.it sucked.

message 12: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Oh.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Eh, Syriana. What I got out of it is just about how immense the amount of money and power there is tied up in oil, so much so that governments will kill to get and keep that power.
It wasn't a very entertaining movie, but it was eye-opening to me. I walk and take the bus as much as I can.
I don't tend to like George Clooney movies. They might be smart, but they aren't very much fun.

message 14: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments I liked Oh Brother Where Art Thou, but mostly for the music.

message 15: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I enjoyed Up In the Air.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Sally wrote: "I'm Still Here"

That movie was an interesting exercise, but I didn't like it. And if I hadn't been familiar with Dylan's life, I would have been totally lost. Not good in a movie. Movies should stand on their own.

It was mostly notable for being Heath Ledger's last performance.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I almost turned Napoleon Dynamite off, but then about 20 minutes in, it clicked, and I LOVED it!
Vote for Pedro!

message 18: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart Jackie, I think you're mixing I'm Still Here, the Casey Affleck-directed Joaquin Phoenix mockumentary with I'm Not There, the Dylan biopic.

message 19: by Brittomart (last edited Dec 02, 2010 08:35PM) (new)

Brittomart I don't get Napoleon Dynamite. I like the dance scene at the end, but I don't get why some of it is funny.

I'll admit it, one reason why I loved LIT was because I have a....not fetish, but a thing for May-December relationships, and ugh I just wanted them to....not hook up, but just like, I dunno. But the reason why the movie is so good is that they didn't! That movie is....it leaves me speechless.

message 20: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments I saw "A Clockwork Orange" when I was about 14. I can't say I understood it at all, but I thought it was totally cool.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Britt-Britt wrote: "Jackie, I think you're mixing I'm Still Here, the Casey Affleck-directed Joaquin Phoenix mockumentary with I'm Not There, the Dylan biopic."

You are totally right, Britt!

Completely understandable though, with those titles. :)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Agree with Syriana. I fell asleep during it. I also fell asleep during Master and Commander.

message 23: by Michael (new)

Michael A Serious Man

message 24: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i don't tend to watch films i won't get, but someone had to explain the ending of vanilla sky to me.

message 25: by Sally, la reina (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" wrote: "Sally wrote: "I'm Still Here"

That movie was an interesting exercise, but I didn't like it. And if I hadn't been familiar with Dylan's life, I would have been totally lost. Not good in a movie...."

I think you're talking about something else. ::googles:: that was I'm Not There.

message 26: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I wasn't there, either.

message 27: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments I'm not sure I got "Dead Ringers" at the time I saw it. Interesting movie, though.

message 28: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart DEAD RINGERS IS MY SHIT OMG

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Burn After Reading. Blah. I'm glad I turned it off halfway through, but I was confused and bored.

message 30: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart I didn't get No Country for Old Men

message 31: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Britt-Britt wrote: "I didn't get No Country for Old Men"

Seriously? I thought it was all pretty straight forward.

message 32: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "Burn After Reading. Blah. I'm glad I turned it off halfway through, but I was confused and bored."

I got this movie, I just didn't care for it. It was nice to see Brat Pitt get shot in the face though.

I didn't get Mulholland Dr., either, at first, but after ranting about how dumb it was with my friends, we slowly began to untangle it. The more I thought about it, the more I began to think it was a masterpiece.

Lost in Translation left me feeling gypped at the end. WHAT DID HE SAY TO HER!? If I ever meet Sophia Copolla I will pimp slap her.

I watched about 5 minutes of Napoleon Dynamite. I could not get into that movie.

message 33: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments Britt-Britt wrote: "DEAD RINGERS IS MY SHIT OMG"

That movie was so freakin' creepy. Too awesome.

message 34: by Auntie (new)

Auntie Raye-Raye (fabulousraye) Britt-Britt wrote: "DEAD RINGERS IS MY SHIT OMG"

I love that movie!

I didn't get the hype about "Fargo" or "Usual Suspects".

message 35: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments lurking again. loved "Mulholland Drive",loved "Fargo" and loved "Usual Suspects". did not care for "Lost in Translation". still not sure how I feel about "Inception" but it sure left me wondering and I at least remember it. There are movies I have paid to go see and forgot all about within 24 hrs.

message 36: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments I didn't get "Pulp Fiction" the first time I watched it, but I was sober. I wasn't sober the second time around, and it made so much more sense!

message 37: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (bonfiggi) I thought Pulp Fiction was an over hyped snoozefest.

message 38: by Paul (new)

Paul Bryant Piles of hideous grot inexplicably liked by some maniacs:

The Bourne Identity
I heart Huckabees
Donnie Darko
Crazy Heart
In Bruges
Lust Caution
Pretty Woman
The Royal Tennenbaums

message 39: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments I didn't get "Donnie Darko" at all...when it was over I just sat there looking at the screen thinking...WTF did I just watch?

message 40: by Michael (new)

Michael Joanne wrote: "I thought Pulp Fiction was an over hyped snoozefest."

Same here. Years later I wondered what it was I missed so I rented it and felt the same way.

message 41: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I've never seen Pulp Fiction.

message 42: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (bonfiggi) Thanks for the laugh Paul.

message 43: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart I'm watching American Psycho with friends right now, and they don't even know what's coming...

message 44: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24358 comments Mod
The book was much better.

message 45: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments I've never seen Pulp Fiction.

message 46: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments I've never seen Pulp Fiction either.

message 47: by Carol (new)

Carol | 1679 comments I did not get and no one needs to explain to me:
Syriana
The Royal Tenenbaums

Burn after Reading was meh.

I really liked Usual Suspects

message 48: by Michael (new)

Michael Lobstergirl wrote: "The book was much better."

I never saw the movie because I hated the book so much.

message 49: by Paul (new)

Paul Bryant Pretty Woman was a vile insidious piece of anti-feminist propaganda which most people ate up like it was a tender love story instead of the vicious hooking-as-career-choice-for-non-college-educated-women combined with spray-enough-money-over-something-and-it-smells-like-Chanel Cinders-shall-go-to-the-ball claptrap it was.

message 50: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Not a fan Paul, you seemed a little ambiguous in your review :-)

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.