What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Folklore collection: one story about three witches that steal eyes. [s]

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenn (last edited Nov 22, 2010 07:54AM) (new)

Jenn Smith | 10 comments In elementary school (cir. 1996 at the latest) I read a collection of folklore stories about witches, demons, etc. and it was called something like Witches, Familiars and Ghouls or Witches of the Old World. Something with Witches in the title. It had a bunch of legends and folktales in it, but the two I remember are:

There was a story of a boy and his grandfather (maybe father) that have this farm. Every year they would take their cart to market and sell vegetables (or something like that). The father goes alone and is late returning. Either the boy goes looking for him or he eventually returns home and the boy discovers that both his eyes are missing. He tells the boy that three beautiful maids asked for his help on the road, but it turns out they were witches and they stole his eyes. They boy devises a plan to find the witches and get his father's eyes back. The next day, he packs up the cart and meets the same three women on the road. He uses some trickery to eventually subdue them and ties them up. He searches their cave and finds hundreds of eyeballs in piles. One by one he releases the witches and forces them to return his father's eyes. The first one gives him the wrong eyes and the father cannot see anything but carp so the boy throws the witch in a nearby river and she is swept away/drowns (I think they cannot swim or there is something magical about the river). The same happens with the second witch and finally the third witch finally gives him the right eyes.

The other story in this book I remember is:

These two middle-aged women have to do a series of rituals every night to keep demons from invading their house. One night, they go to a bazaar and don't get back until very late. Because it is so late, they don't clean the hearth, or empty their bathwater or put the broom across the door. Later that night, their house becomes infested with demons and they scramble around to finish all the chores to drive the demons away.

I might be combining two different books, not entirely sure. If so, I'd live to know the title of both books. I've been searching for this collection for years, but have found no one that's heard either of these stories. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated :D

MB (What she read) | 136 comments Sorry, I can't help you with the book! But your first story looks very similar to this Czech folktale. Here's an on-line link: http://notes.booksxyz.com/node/158

Maybe that will give you a little more info in searching to find the book itself?

message 3: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Smith | 10 comments You're amazing! I've been trying to find this story for forever!! This also helped me remember that the first story was from a book about different witches from around the world. It had stories on witches and witch folklore for different cultures from around the world (Baba Yaga was a big on in the book I believe).

I think the other story was from a different book entirely. At least with this now, I think I can do a better search of the web. :D

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1396 comments Jenn, If you find the books, please return & post and let us know which books they are. Thanks!

message 5: by Ruby (new)

Ruby Hollyberry | 30 comments This sounds good. I'd be interested as well. For the true Baba Yaga nut, there is this book which I have but have not yet read: Baba Yaga: The Ambiguous Mother and Witch of the Russian Folktale

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40197 comments Mod
Jenn, are you still searching for this book or books?

message 7: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Smith | 10 comments I'm still looking for the complete book, still no luck finding it unfortunately.

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Jenn, did you move this to "Query Abandoned by Poster?" Because a thread can be left in Unsolved indefinitely. Even if you have given up all hope, there's a chance someone will know the answer and reply.

Maybe a mod can move this back.

message 9: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4070 comments Mod
bump for Jenn

message 10: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Jenn, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 11: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Smith | 10 comments I still looking for the book, but you can move this thread to "Query Abandoned by Poster." Thank you :)

message 12: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36059 comments Mod
If you're still interested in the book, we'd encourage you to leave the thread open. Just bump it every few months.

message 13: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Smith | 10 comments Ahh, oki :)

Thank you!

message 14: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Smith | 10 comments Thanks to the person that mentioned the Czech fairytale The Jezinkahs, I was finally able to locate the book. It's called The Book of Witches by Ruth Manning-Sanders! Someone did a review and mentioned the other story I included in the original post.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5...