Sci-Fi Romance discussion

2011 SFR Reading Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 161 (161 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by CaliGirlRae (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) | 67 comments Hey folks!

I've set up a separate blog this time for the 2011 SFR Reading Challenge and future ones. If anyone is interested in assisting me, let me know. We'll have some time by next year to set up any special events, mini challenges or promo if needed. Even if you don't want to work behind the scenes, ideas are always welcome!

http://sfrreadingchallenge.blogspot.com

message 2: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 336 comments I've subscribed to your feed. I'll keep an eye out.

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore I just subscribed too. I can't wait to get started!

message 4: by CaliGirlRae (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) | 67 comments Good deal! Thanks guys! :-)

message 5: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments I'm not sure how to subscribe but I bookmarked it and will visit. I'll participate too, though I think 25 may be a little much for me next year considering I read about 27 books this entire year (compared to my Mom's 25 in 2 months. LOL.)

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Anna C wrote: "I'm not sure how to subscribe but I bookmarked it and will visit. I'll participate too, though I think 25 may be a little much for me next year considering I read about 27 books this entire year (c..."

I know what you mean. I have so many books that I haven't read yet, and one of my goals for the next year is to try to read more. The problem is trying to make time to get more reading done.

message 7: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments I agree. This year I had so little free time and almost no time to myself. Couldn't even read before bed because being so busy made me too tired. LOL.

Here's hoping we both find extra time to read in 2011.

message 8: by CaliGirlRae (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) | 67 comments I'm with you guys. I think I'm going to tone down my reading goals for next year and then work up from there. I'm even doing the 150 books/yr thing and I'm a bit below where I'd like to be. It's tough to balance reading, writing and plus two other art jobs! Extra time would be lovely for next year. :-)

message 9: by CaliGirlRae (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) | 67 comments Oh! And Anna, I yanked out the nav bar at the top of the blog. Usually there'd be a place to click follow there but I'll add one on the side for anyone who wants to keep track of the blog that way. :-)

message 10: by Jadetyger (new)

Jadetyger Sevea | 56 comments Ah. I fear some of the books I was going to read for this year's SFR will have to go to the 2011 one. I agree. There just isn't enough time. Plenty of books, but not enough time! :)

message 11: by CaliGirlRae (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) | 67 comments Are you all ready for round 2 to begin?? We're starting the clock back to book 1 for the challenge.

http://sfrreadingchallenge.blogspot.c...

Jade, I know what you mean. Some books on my list will have to be shifted for the 2011 challenge. I'm starting small so I can balance all the challenges I'm signing up for!

message 12: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Rae wrote: "Are you all ready for round 2 to begin?? We're starting the clock back to book 1 for the challenge.

http://sfrreadingchallenge.blogspot.c......"

Forgive me, I'm extremely ignorant when it comes to blogs and such, but I plan to work on that this year. I signed up for this challenge at the link listed. Are we keeping track here, as well as a blog site?

message 13: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments Michelle, I have been.

message 14: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore AnnaM wrote: "Michelle, I have been."

Thanks AnnaM. So do I need create my own blog page to keep track of the books I read, then post my link on the sfrreadingchallenge blog? I'm apologizing now, because I may have some more silly follow up questions. =)

message 15: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments You can. That's what I did last year. My blog page isn't fancy or special, mainly a review page of most of the books I've been reading. But it made it easier to keep track of what I'd done. LOL.

I posted some reviews here as I marked off the books as "read" but I don't think you have to. And I think the challenge is really flexible so you having a blog isn't mandatory. Think of it as a way to get the word out about the genre and get more people to read the books. More sites= more google hits= more publicity about the books= more readers= more new books.

I just went to blogspot and created a simple page.

message 16: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments And, Michelle, no questions are silly. :-) Ask away. That's the only way to learn.

message 17: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore AnnaM wrote: "And, Michelle, no questions are silly. :-) Ask away. That's the only way to learn."

Thanks AnnaM! I'll create my page today. I'm happy to do anything I can do that leads to more new books, LOL!

message 18: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments Me, too. LOL. :-) Have fun with it!

message 19: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments I signed up for 15 this year. I'll probably end up reading more of them, but I'm not sure. I have a LOT of non-R SF to read too. LOL.

message 20: by CaliGirlRae (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) | 67 comments Oops! Sorry Michelle! Just saw your q. What Anna said. You can post them anywhere ya like including here. Sometimes folks like it here because they get a good rec. :-)

message 21: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Rae wrote: "Oops! Sorry Michelle! Just saw your q. What Anna said. You can post them anywhere ya like including here. Sometimes folks like it here because they get a good rec. :-)"

No problem Rae. I went and created a very boring blog, and I'm actually looking forward to trying to pretty it up tomorrow. I need to step into "the times" as my mother would say anyway, LOL!

message 22: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Ok, I'm doing the Moon Challenge. I just signed up, and now I need to pick through my books again, what fun!

message 23: by Ella (new)

Ella Drake (elladrake) | 26 comments Finally signed up for the Venus level today since I've already read 4 books this year & have a few more lined up.
It's like an addiction!

message 24: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments Finished my first book and halfway through the second.

message 25: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments Finished book 2. The Stars Blue Yonder. Not for everyone but I thought it was amazing.

I decided to buy another copy of Linnea's Hope's Folly for my ereader. LOL. I have it on Kindle for pc but it won't work with a text to speech program and, really, who wants to sit at a pc to read a 400 page(?) novel? Not me and my old eyes.

So my next two books may be Hope's Folly and, Rebels and Lovers to finish out that series, plus whatever we choose for Feb. But I won't finish them all in one month, lol.

message 26: by Michelle (last edited Jan 19, 2011 06:17AM) (new)

Michelle Gilmore I really need to get started on my SFR reads. I'm thinking that in addition to our monthly group reads that I want to read my Shomi books, and the few S.L. Viehl books that I have. I'm just not sure, so I think I'll post as I go along.

message 27: by Jacqueline J (new)

Jacqueline J | 154 comments Made a trip to the USB today. Scored 2 SFR books. Turns out I think I've read one before Shooting Star by Colby Hodge . I don't remember anything about it so I'm going to read it again. The other is Star Shadows (Love Spell Futuristic Romance) by Colby Hodge . So 2 more for my SFR Challenge count. I'm at 5 so far. I've got reviews on my blog at www.luziadovalongo.wordpress.com.

message 28: by Jadetyger (new)

Jadetyger Sevea | 56 comments Just finished my first book for the 2011 challenge. It was In Enemy Hands. Was anyone else disappointed? I really wanted to like this book, and it just didn't work for me. :(

message 29: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments Oh no! That's not what I want to hear! I was planning to read that soon. :/

message 30: by Jacqueline J (new)

Jacqueline J | 154 comments I liked In Enemy Hands by K.S. Augustin . I checked out your review and I agree in principle with all you said. Especially about the very abrupt ending. That was a WFT? moment for me too. It seemed like we were right in the middle of the story when it ended.

The slowness of the beginning didn't bother me as much as it did you however. I also really liked the scenes told from Srin's POV.

message 31: by Jadetyger (new)

Jadetyger Sevea | 56 comments Oh, I loved the scenes told from Srin's POV! As I think about it, the ending was really my major gripe. Moon was growing on me by that point, but the ending just slapped me in the face. I truly thought we were being set up for a sequel. :(

message 32: by Jacqueline J (new)

Jacqueline J | 154 comments There's not going to be a sequel?

message 33: by Jadetyger (new)

Jadetyger Sevea | 56 comments I didn't see anything on the author's website. Had you heard anything? ::hope::

message 34: by CaliGirlRae (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) | 67 comments Hey guys! I'm finally back with a shiny, new computer so I should be participating more now. Weee! I missed y'all. :-D

Michelle, what's your blog? I'd love to check it out!

I agree about In Enemy Hands. I actually really enjoyed the beginning with all the techy goodness and the slow building relationship with Srin (LOVE him!). The momentum slowed a bit for me though to the ending after they got together. Overall, I liked it but wished I had enjoyed it much more. If it comes out in audio I'll probably check it out there to see if I feel any different.

message 35: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Rae wrote: "Hey guys! I'm finally back with a shiny, new computer so I should be participating more now. Weee! I missed y'all. :-D

Michelle, what's your blog? I'd love to check it out!

I agree about In Enemy..."

Glad your back! My pc crashed one day, and I was sick and ill tempered until I was able to get another one. Does that make me an addict? My blog is http://shellysbookcorner.blogspot.com/. Of course I haven't read one SFR yet, and I'm still trying to give it some "umph", LOL! I think I may start an SFR sometime tomorrow so I can start chipping away at the SFR reading challenge.

message 36: by CaliGirlRae (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) | 67 comments If you're an addict, then that makes me one, too because I was the same way LOL. I was crazy nuts with no comp. Sad how technology can make one so dependent but what can I say! hehe :-D

Thanks for the link! I'm going to follow and add to my blog reads list on my blog. Don't feel bad. I haven't started one either (eep!) but I did buy one today that looks really, really good so I'll be starting out soon. Woo hoo!

message 37: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments Last night I finished Hope's Folly by Linnea Sinclair. It's the third book in the series and if anything, I liked it more than the others. Don't know why. For me, it was great, I think because I really liked the characters.

I read the first few pages of Song of Scarabeus (sp?) last night and decided I have to be wide awake to read the beginning. LOL. It's very full of tech and worldbuilding--as befits the first in a series. My tired mind couldn't handle it last night. I'm waiting on the vote to actually start reading.

message 38: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments Michelle, dumb question. How do insert the book covers into your blog posts? I'm blog-ignorant though I do have one. Thanks!

message 39: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore AnnaM wrote: "Michelle, dumb question. How do insert the book covers into your blog posts? I'm blog-ignorant though I do have one. Thanks!"

Like you told me, there are no dumb questions :) I just saved the bookcover image from here to my "pictures" folder. Then, while in the blog, I clicked on that "add image" icon in that box where you type your review to upload it. When you do that, a window pops up asking where you'd like to place the image. I hope I explained that ok.......

message 40: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore AnnaM wrote: "Last night I finished Hope's Folly by Linnea Sinclair. It's the third book in the series and if anything, I liked it more than the others. Don't know why. For me, it was great, I think because I re..."

I know what you mean, some books although well written, and a great story, have to be read while I'm wide awake so I can wrap my mind around some of the world building.

message 41: by CaliGirlRae (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) | 67 comments Tech, you say? Sounds like it's right up my alley!

Thanks for the heads up though. I usually read before bed but it sounds like I have to be awake and alert for this one!

message 42: by AnnaM (last edited Jan 25, 2011 04:02PM) (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments Rae, probably only for the beginning. I don't know yet. :-) The set-up has a lot of tech and jargon in it. I think once I get a handle on that part of it, I'll be able to read this before bed.

message 43: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments Just bought the anthology Songs of Love and Death with Linnea's story in it. Anyone read it yet?

message 44: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments Not yet. Do you know which char is in Sinclair's story?

message 45: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments Not yet. I ordered a hardcopy from Amazon so it'll take a long time to get here. LOL.

Most of the reviews I've read mentioned only the really big name authors so I don't even know what Linnea's story is about. I'm taking it on faith that hers is as terrific as all her others.

message 46: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments Thanks, Michelle! I'll try that.

Michelle wrote: "AnnaM wrote: "Michelle, dumb question. How do insert the book covers into your blog posts?"

"Like you told me, there are no dumb questions :) I ju..."

message 47: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore I also saw where you can write a review here on goodreads, and then some window pops up after you post your gr review, that lets you can copy and paste your review with all the html stuff. I tried it last night, and the picture was copied over too.

message 48: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore I finally finished my first book SFR read for the year! I read Mind Games (The Disillusionists Trilogy, #1) by Carolyn Crane , which I really enjoyed once I was able to get into the story. I'm not sure what I'll start reading next.

message 49: by AnnaM (last edited Jan 30, 2011 05:33AM) (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments Just finished Song of Scarabeaus. Wonderful book!

Next is Rebels and Lovers, the ...sniff, sniff... last Dock 5 book available. There's something both fulfilling and sad about finishing the last of a series. Hopefully it's not the last.

message 50: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore I finished reading Twist by Colby Hodge . Two down, thirteen to go!

« previous 1 3 4