College Students! discussion

college talk > Winter Break

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
I know it seems like forever away but it will come soon! When are all of you done for the semester? What are you planning on doing over Winter Break?

message 2: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker I'm done for the semester on December 16. My plan is to read a lot over the break. Like, a whole lot. Multiple books to be read. I really don't want to go home for the month, but I know my mom will guilt me into staying at home for most of it, which means missing out on my friends. I've been really down on going home lately because it feels so constricting.

message 3: by Emily (new)

Emily  O (readingwhilefemale) | 487 comments I'm done around the 15th of December. My parents just moved to Santa Fe, so I'll be flying there for the holidays. I plan on baking lots of tasty pies and cookies, spending some time with my little sister and brother, and hanging out with my mom. I'm also hoping to get a lot of reading done while I don't have much else to do.

My holiday reading list looks like this:
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?. It didn't quite win the group read, but I really want to read it, so I'm saving it for when I have time.
Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold. I feel like I should give C.S. Lewis another try.
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian. I won this on a giveaway forever ago and I just haven't had time to read it yet!
The Poisonwood Bible. My mom owns a copy of it, so I'm going to borrow it from her. I can't believe I haven't read this yet!
And of course whatever else I happen to pick up at the library, plus anything I get for Christmas.

I'm really looking forward to the holidays. It will be nice to see my family again. This semester has been pretty crazy, so I feel like I just need some time to relax and get some pleasure reading done.

message 4: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Lori--I hope you get lots of reading time! I know you've been struggling. I have a feeling you are going to make up for your whole semester of not reading much!

Emily--Baking tasty pies and cookies? Want to come hang out at MY house?! :)

message 5: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (amazingact21) I cannot wait until Winter Break gets here. My last final is on December 16th, and once it's done, I'm driving with my boyfriend to Disney World for a week. We're going to be there from Dec 17-21, then we're going to visit his parents until Christmas Eve. We're traveling back home that evening so I can be with my family on Christmas Day.

And for the last week, I plan to lounge around in my pjs and catch up on my reading.

message 6: by Kelly A. (new)

Kelly A. | 499 comments I will be finished with finals on the 13th, hopefully. If our football team keeps on winning, they'll go to some championship game in Tennessee sometime during break (can't you tell I just love football?). My parents and I will probably go up there for the game (it's going to be so cold..) and then most likely head over to Virginia for Christmas with my cousins. Road trips = lots of reading time!

message 7: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Alicia-- That sounds like a great winter break! I love Disney! And lounging in your pj's and reading..that sounds incredible!

Kelly-- Road trips! Can you read in the car? I can sometimes but most of the time I get sick.

message 8: by Kelly A. (new)

Kelly A. | 499 comments Only when it's a flat terrain (which is no problem in Florida). I'll be OK in Georgia, South Carolina and most of Tennessee, but in the mountains of Virginia, I won't be able to. Boo! I didn't even think of that!

message 9: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Kelly--I'm jealous! I wish I could read in the car. I'm good for about 20 minutes lol. I don't even try now because I just feel so miserable!

message 10: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker Jamie, Oh my goodness! I hadn't thought about making up for an entire semester! But I guess that's what I'll be doing. Eek! I've been stashing the books I'm 3/4 of the way through so I can finish those over break rather than give up on them entirely. I hope I can finish them and several others besides. I don't know if I want to make a list or not.

message 11: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen I've been able to do some reading, but not as much as I did in the summer. I can't wait to have some free time without thinking of all the homework I should be doing! It's starting to really get tough with all my assignments, they're all being assigned now and will be due soon. Blech.

message 12: by Adam (new)

Adam | 83 comments My winter break will not be much of a break at all... I'm done around the teens of December officially. My final schedule hasn't been released yet, so I don't know what my real last day will be... but with my usual luck I always end up having ONE on the last day of finals : P.

My plan over break will be working at a Physics lab full time. My school runs it, so I think I get at least the usual week off that a university is closed. I also plan on working on my final Thesis and getting that done as much as possible before the Spring starts and working through an Advanced Calculus book to hopefully hone up my skills even more. I will hopefully get some non-school type reading done as well.

message 13: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 308 comments I only get two weeks off for break the 16th- jan 3rd. I plan on finally finishing two books I started awhile ago The Countess and the King: A Novel of the Countess of Dorchester and King James II and Clockwork Angel. That's my goal, I haven't read for 2 weeks now (ever since school started) and it's making me sad!

message 14: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments Take Dramamine! It works every time for me, I get carsick otherwise.

Finals week for me begins the week of the 6th of December, I'm not sure when my last final will be.

I plan on reading a lot, I have so many books I want to read! Family parties, including our annual Lefsa cooking party. :) And spending time with friends. A group of us from high school have kind of started a tradition of having a party every Christmas break so we can all spend time together. Most of us were in Theatre together so it's a fun group, and then we get the random people who show up that only knows one person and half of us spend the night trying to figure out who they are, lol. It's great!

message 15: by Shwetika (new)

Shwetika | 72 comments hey all, you all are so luck that you are still in your college. I'm done with my graduation and now is preparing for MBA entrance exam.. and i miss my college time :(

message 16: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Kimberly Have you tried Bonine? I don't get as sleepy with it.

Since I am not in school right now, I don't have a real "Winter Break" but the plans are the same as if I had. September through December is crazy busy with our family. We have birthdays, holidays, and the neicese and nephews have performances everywhere. We go to certain festivals each year (Festival of the Trees, Dickens Festival, etc) and we have the crazy candy making weekend. So just busy stuff.

Also this year, I had the brilliant idea to make Christmas gifts, so I have 5 afgans to finish plus 12 Christmas stockings. :) I am already too busy to have a break.

message 17: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen Wow, Tami! You certainly are keeping busy. 5 afghans? I don't know how you're doing it.

Yay for candy making!

message 18: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (samhanson) | 179 comments My last day is December 16th. I can't wait for break. I mostly like my classes this semester but I need a break and I'm ready for something new. I don't have huge plans but I did get tickets to see Prince with my friends the day after I get back from school. I also have tickets to go to a taping of the Colbert Report in January. Also my birthday is in January so hopefully I'll be having some sort of get together for that!

message 19: by Arphaxad (new)

Arphaxad I finish on December 1st, and like most I cannot wait; this term has almost killed me! Looks like the holidays will be spent frantically reading- mainly academic stuff, but I'm sure some of the books I've been anticipating on my to-read list will slip in there too :)
Christmas should be awesome though, family madness as usual!

Do you guys all have exams at the end of every term, then? I take it that's what all the references to 'finals' are about?

message 20: by Adam (new)

Adam | 83 comments yeah, i think most of us have final exams at the end of a semester. I certainly do.

message 21: by Spencer (new)

Spencer (spencerafreeman) I graduate from grad school on DEC 15 and I can't wait! After graduation I'll be packing up my apt. and driving from NYC to GA to move back home. The moving part will be a pain, but once that's out of the way, I'll be FREE to relax and not worry about going back to school! (I'll worry about getting a job after the New Year, haha).

Also, my bday is Jan. 1 (yep, New Year's Day), so I'll be celebrating that, along with Christmas. The boyfriend & I plan to go see The Nutcracker when I return home, and there will be lots of holiday window shopping and hot chocolate drinking! Oh, and of course, LOADS of reading :)

... I just got REALLY excited about the holidays! Going to find some Christmas music to listen to...

message 22: by Jen (new)

Jen (wishesandwanderlust) | 696 comments Congrats Anastasia! :)

message 23: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen Anastasia, that sounds awesome. Congrats on graduating! Sounds like you'll have a great month. :)

message 24: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker I think I'm going to wind up making a list of books to read over the break, so I can kind of visualize things. The hardest part will be picking what books to bring home with me. I don't know how soon I'll be back to my apartment, but I think I might get to split my time and see my friends a bit. I have been on a major book buying spree lately, but it's mostly been non-fiction. I'd like to focus on fiction over the break though.

message 25: by Diana (new)

Diana (smiffyblues) I probably won't be doing much, but I'm excited to see friends who went far away for college!! I cannot wait for their return! :-)

Probably play a lot of SC2 .. Re-watch Harry Potter 7..
I want to read Snow Angels and Songs for the Missing (-:

And maybe I'll start reading my textbooks for next quarter :-(

message 26: by Natanya (new)

Natanya (vraisemble) | 255 comments My boyfriend just got tickets to come visit me at home for a few days in the middle of January! I'm super excited. I can't wait to drag him around Seattle (he's a farm boy from upstate NY).

Before that, though, my family's going to FL to visit my grandparents, like we do every year. It'll mostly be a pretty boring trip, except for the two days we'll be in Orlando (Harry Potter Land!!). I also want to go up to Vancouver, Canada for a few days in January (yay for lower drinking ages!), and I'm going to go to visit my friend who goes to school a couple hours north of Seattle.

And, of course, LOTS of reading. I have such a back log of books.

message 27: by Madge (new)

Madge (madge_the_bibliomaniac) My last day is either the 13th, 15th, or 17th but I have no idea which, yet. I am so ready for this semester to end. I haven't put much thought into plans for break, because I'm broke lol, but I do intend to read a LOT. I'm not sure which books I'll be taking on, though.

message 28: by ♥Xeni♥ (new)

♥Xeni♥ (xeni) Wow, most of you have really fun plans. My plans include actually moving to college. *gulp* It's really far from home, and I have no idea yet how I am going to do any of the moving. I think it'll be me, my laptop, a change of clothes and a bank card for the first few weeks or something!

Anyway, my semester starts on Jan 4th, so I want to be there by the end of December, just to get settled in!

message 29: by Ashley (last edited Dec 01, 2010 02:13PM) (new)

Ashley Lauren (ashleyllauren) Gosh - I apparently have the latest semester of all! I don't finish with finals until December 23rd. But I graduate from my bachelors on December 19th :-) Clearly, it's backwards, but I go to a big school (University of Wisconsin - Madison) and we need a full week for finals.

Easily my most exciting winter break (or for me, just winter!) plan is that I'm going to Pasadena, California for the ROSE BOWL!!! I am so pumped to watch the Badgers play at such an important bowl game for us: it's going to be amazing.

After that, then I just start work and so-called real life!

message 30: by Ariel (new)

Ariel (amdesigned) | 6 comments I'm taking a winter-mester class and working.

message 31: by Madge (new)

Madge (madge_the_bibliomaniac) ♥Xeni♥ wrote: "Wow, most of you have really fun plans. My plans include actually moving to college. *gulp* It's really far from home, and I have no idea yet how I am going to do any of the moving. I think it'll b..."
That sounds exciting and terrifying! I'm still at a community college (and may end up finishing out a degree here, thanks to distance education programs from other schools that are offered at our campus), so I haven't gone through that. Good luck!

message 32: by Arianna (new)

Arianna (theycallmena) Well, I'm working, but I'm making the goal to finish all of the books that I haven't finished yet: I have like, 5! Currently, the major effort is Perfect Girls, Starving Daughters: The Frightening New Normalcy of Hating Your Body, which I am almost done with. I NEVER get to read things that aren't for class while I'm in school, so that's exciting.

Even more exciting? I have a capstone class next quarter, in which I have to read seven books in 10 weeks--it's a lot, but they're mostly novels like The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Beloved. I'm overwhelmed (I have 3 more books to read for another class, and that's not even counting the other two classes I have), but I think It'll benefit to be optimistic.

message 33: by Natanya (new)

Natanya (vraisemble) | 255 comments You get to read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo for class?? THAT'S AWESOME! I'm reading it right now. Wish I was reading it for class because then I'd actually have time to get through it (read the first half over thanksgiving...probably won't get to finish it until I'm done with finals in 2.5 weeks).

message 34: by Arianna (new)

Arianna (theycallmena) Natanya wrote: "You get to read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo for class?? THAT'S AWESOME! I'm reading it right now. Wish I was reading it for class because then I'd actually have time to get through it (read the..."

Yeah, it's a women's and gender studies class, and the theme is "women who respond to violence with violence." We have to write a 20+ page paper for the class too, but I'm still kind of excited!

message 35: by Natanya (new)

Natanya (vraisemble) | 255 comments Ohh that sounds so interesting! 20 page paper is a bit crazy, though! Is that instead of having like 4 papers?

message 36: by Arianna (new)

Arianna (theycallmena) It's more like a thesis sort of class. I don't know if we have any other work for the class yet, but it's supposed to be like this humongous culminating research paper. Yeah, next quarter is going to be JAMMED. I'm enjoying this peace while it lasts :)

message 37: by Natanya (last edited Dec 01, 2010 10:43PM) (new)

Natanya (vraisemble) | 255 comments Ohhh wow. Haha I could use some peace...currently in the process of pulling a most-of-the-nighter (yeah, being on here isn't helping much). I'm hoping next semester will be a little less crazy than this one has been because I'm going to be taking 2 fewer credits, but I also just took on more responsibilities both at one of my jobs and in one of my clubs, so I have a feeling I'll be just as busy. Hopefully I'll like my classes more, though.

message 38: by Jessie (new)

Jessie (Jessie08) | 128 comments Because I'm an RA at my school I have to stick around here until the 23rd, which I'm not too happy about. But I'm super excited for break because I'm going to visit my cousin in Ontario for a week over New Years. I'm especially excited because I'm going to Ontario via train. I think it should be pretty relaxing. I plan on getting caught up on my reading over the train rides!

message 39: by Jessie (new)

Jessie (Jessie08) | 128 comments Ashley wrote: "Gosh - I apparently have the latest semester of all! I don't finish with finals until December 23rd. But I graduate from my bachelors on December 19th :-) Clearly, it's backwards, but I go to a ..."

Ashley! I just saw that you go to Madison. I go to UW Milwaukee. That's awesome! And I am extremely jealous that you are going to the Rose Bowl. Cheer on the Badgers for me!! :)

message 40: by Kelly A. (new)

Kelly A. | 499 comments So, if you read my last post, my school's football team did win the C-USA Championship and will be going to the Liberty Bowl in Memphis on December 31. Since my parents love college football (I don't..), we'll be going there over break. Nevertheless, it should be fun! Hopefully it won't be too cold...

message 41: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberlandrews) | 2 comments My last final is on December 16th, and I cannot wait for this semester to be over! I'm going on a holiday with my family to Disney World for two weeks. I also hope to fit in a lot of reading... I need to find time to go to the library before the end of the break, but the library that I have a card to is over an hour away, which is why I haven't been in months.

Sounds like everyone is going to have a wonderful Winter Break!

message 42: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Lauren (ashleyllauren) Jessie wrote: "Ashley! I just saw that you go to Madison. I go to UW Milwaukee. That's awesome! And I am extremely jealous that you are going to the Rose Bowl. Cheer on the Badgers for me!! :)" i>

Woo-hoo! Wisconsinites unite! :-) And as far as the cheering goes - I hope I can be loud enough that you hear me back in the midwest ;-)