Terminalcoffee discussion

Books / Writing > What do you reread?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 166 (166 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments In answering the Vonnegut question it struck me that I re-read far fewer books than I used to. I think I can blame it squarely on goodreads, actually. The next book is always dangling in front of me, like a prize.

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I've never reread the Three Investigators - that would be fun - but childhood reads are high on the list.

message 3: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i reread favorites and every time i buy a book i've already read i reread it.

message 4: by Carol (new)

Carol | 1679 comments I think - life's too short, and there's so many things I want to read for the first time - as I sit, mouth agape, in front of Seinfeld/Friends/Cheers, etc.

message 5: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i have reread a couple of haven kimmel books and every year i reread a james michener book but most generally i read new book titles now.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Kevin "El Liso Grande" wrote: "... but most generally i read new book titles now."

...and sometimes even the whole books?

message 7: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments :)

sometimes. if they have a lot of pictures

message 8: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman I rarely re-read a book. If I do, it's by Stephen King. There are too many other interesting books I have yet to read for me to spend much time re-reading, especially when I don't have a lot of time to read in the first place.

message 9: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments I seldom re read a book either. "A Christmas Carol" every christmas season, and "The Hobbit" a couple times, but I usually move on to new reads.

message 10: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 04, 2010 03:17PM) (new)

Sarah Pi wrote: "I re-read far fewer books than I used to. I think I can blame it squarely on goodreads, actually. The next book is always dangling in front of me, like a prize."

Exactly. I'm now like a kid in a candy store filling up my GR TBR basket, I have become gluttonous. Before GR I would reread my favourites LOTR, anything Jane Austen etc. Occasionally I would go to a book store wander aimlessly...head for the old favourites. Now the fav's are starting to gather dust.

message 11: by Jan (new)

Jan | 241 comments Someday, I plan on rereading Stephen King's The Long Walk. For now though, I have a TBR list a mile long.

message 12: by Micheal (new)

Micheal | 38 comments I reread series, especially if a prequel comes out. I have this thing where I'll reread all the books and then read the new book, then I'll reread them all in chronological order. LOL. When the prequel to The Wrinkle In Time series came out when I was younger was when it started. LOL

message 13: by Mona (new)

Mona Garg (k1721m) | 350 comments Gatorman wrote: "I rarely re-read a book. If I do, it's by Stephen King. There are too many other interesting books I have yet to read for me to spend much time re-reading, especially when I don't have a lot of t..."

I never reread. But, otherwise, I couldn't agree more.

message 14: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments I reread everything and anything, just to see if it's just good after a few rereads. Some are, like Marley and Me (I still cry), and some are not, like Time Stops for No Mouse. :)

message 15: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) if a book is being made into a movie, I usually read/reread it. Not really smart on my part because it ruins the movie in most cases. The book is 99% of the time better than the movie. Because I can listen to books while I work, I have gone back and listened to classics like Hemingway, Ayn Rand, Dostoyevsky, Dickens, Orwell. Also when my daughter had books to read for high school English, I listened to them and we were able to discuss. That was really nice.

message 16: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments ms.petra wrote: "if a book is being made into a movie, I usually read/reread it. Not really smart on my part because it ruins the movie in most cases. The book is 99% of the time better than the movie. Because I ca..."

Hey, I do that too! Like all the Narnia movies? I reread the book just so I know what SHOULD happen. LOL

message 17: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Creech | 100 comments I rarely reread, but lately I have been loaning old favorites to new friends and when they want to discuss, I realize how much I have forgotten about most of my old favorites. So, I have been rereading much more often to remind myself why some books are my favorites.

message 18: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments Almost never re-read. Recently I've started reading some books to my daughter that I've already read, though. Like Harry Potter or Bunnicula.

message 19: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (bonfiggi) I read A Christmas Carol every year. I read Letters Of A Woman Homesteader every few years.

message 20: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jez476) | 664 comments Smetchie, I loooove Bunnicula! I reread it a couple of years ago while I was waiting for a bookstore to open to be first in line for a Clive Barker book signing. It still holds up.

I'm like Sarah and Gail. I used to reread a lot more but now there's too much else to read. I finally read A Christmas Carol for the first time last year (I am obsessed with watching as many movie versions every year at Christmas) and I think I want to read it again this year. I was also planning on rereading the last Harry Potter before the 19th but I'm just not in the mood. That book pissed me off too much.

message 21: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I re-read Alice in Wonderland about once a year. I also re-read some lighter material, like Spaulding Grey or Klosterman, if I'm between books and need something easy. I usually re-read one of the big classics about once a year.

message 22: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Nov 05, 2010 02:29PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Sarah Pi wrote: "In answering the Vonnegut question it struck me that I re-read far fewer books than I used to. I think I can blame it squarely on goodreads, actually. The next book is always dangling in front of m..."

That's where I'm at right now. I used to re-read a lot (especially childhood favorites), but it's so hard to now when I have a list that's a mile long of other things I want to get to.

I'll put in another yay vote for Bunnicula. My inner child loved that one.

message 23: by smetchie (last edited Nov 05, 2010 04:25PM) (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments I said it in that other thread because I didn't realize Sarah Pi had already created this thread but clearly this is the right place for it: There are a couple parts of Outlander I'd like to re-read. (wink wink)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Ahh...Outlander. I still need to finish the series before I tackle a re-read. I've only made it through book 3.

AFAIK Outlander book 1 is still free on B&N and Amazon in ebook form.

message 25: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Did you guys know there's an Outlander graphic novel?

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/75...

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I did know, but I'm not a rabid enough fan to care about getting the graphic novel version if I already own the book in print form.

Thanks for the tip though. There are a few people I know that really enjoyed the graphic novel, so it might interest someone else on here.

message 27: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
I'm going to reread Anna Karenina for the fifth time this Christmas break. Or try to.

message 28: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jez476) | 664 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "Did you guys know there's an Outlander graphic novel?

Hopefully not too graphic! I'd rather not see how she gets him out of his catatonic state. Why are so many women still into that series after reading that? I was disgusted!

message 29: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jez476) | 664 comments Sally wrote: "I'm going to reread Anna Karenina for the fifth time this Christmas break. Or try to."

I couldn't even get through that book once. :-(

message 30: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments my rereads list (off the top of my head):

anna karenina x2
crime and punishement x4
disgrace x5
waiting for godot x5
dorian gray x4
du perron - het land van herkomst x5
lars saabye christensen - the half brother x3
hamsun - hunger x4
jaroslav hasek - svejk x2
turgenev - fathers and sons x2
jorge luis borges - all short stories x3

and there's plenty more.

message 31: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments Things that move me, either emotionally or intellectually. When I was younger, that was Madeleine L'Engle and C.S. Lewis. Now it's Somerset Maugham and J.D. Salinger. And non-fiction, especially books on Buddhism these days, especially Alan Watts!

Those are books with particularly heavy traffic, but in general I pretty much choose to read books that I think will be worth rereading, so I do it a lot. If I had one of those phenomenal memories, it would be a different story, but even C.S. Lewis, who did have a photographic memory for books, made a rule of every other book being a re-read. There's always more I find out.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I reread all the time, although not lately. Why own books, if you're not going to reread them? Usually, I only buy books I've already read.

I've reread A Wrinkle in Time and Dragonsong so many times, they're part of me.

I've read Dune several times, and still feel like I'm not really getting it.

I reread Jane Eyre every few years, and Jane Austen novels when I want something familiar and comforting. Same with Mary Stewart's thrillers.

message 33: by Jan (new)

Jan | 241 comments Although I'm not much of a re-reader, I plan on someday reading "One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich" by Alexander Solzhenitsyn again. But I have so many books on my TBR list, I don't know when I'll get to it. I need to take a speed-reading course.

message 34: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
I took one in high school. It was smacking fantastic.

message 35: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jez476) | 664 comments My husband is the king of speed-reading. He was chosen in elementary school to take a class. I've tried to time him by watching his eye movements and I think he can read a full page is 30-45 seconds. That bastard!

message 36: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24357 comments Mod
I rarely reread. I reread Jane Austen. I will be rereading Jane Eyre, House of Mirth, Madame Bovary, The Raj Quartet, C.S. Lewis's Space Trilogy.

message 37: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments I reread every book I buy. If I don't like it enough to reread it, I won't buy it.

message 38: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateharper) | 206 comments I reread Johnny Got His Gun every few years as I think it's amazing that Trumbo can do a first person narrative of someone who has basically lost all of his physical senses.

I reread Dickens, especially A Christmas Carol and I reread Serlock Holmes.

The other time I'll reread a book is if it comes up in a discussion and my memory doesn't match what I'm hearing. I did this recently with Wuthering Heights.

message 39: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) this topic just reinforces my love of audio books. tomorrow while I am raking leaves I will be listening to George Washington's biography. I often listen while doing mundane household chores. :)

message 40: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

BunWat wrote: "LG I reread CS Lewis's space trilogy from time to time too."

It's where I learned the word bole.

message 41: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Alecia wrote: "I reread every book I buy. If I don't like it enough to reread it, I won't buy it."

This would not work for me. I own probably 700-800 books I still haven't read yet (but intend to....hopefully....)

message 42: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) That's a lot of books.

message 43: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I'm making progress, though. I'm getting rid of two books for every 40 I bring home. That's up from last year.

message 44: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) So at that rate, by the end of 2012, every door and window will be blocked by a stack of books.

message 45: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments I wanna come to your house and scout for some new reading material LG. WOW...that's a lot of books!

message 46: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (bonfiggi) Kate, I think Johnny Got His Gun is an incredibly good book, and heartbreaking. I wish I had the nerve to read it again.

message 47: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateharper) | 206 comments Joanne, it's almost a compulsion for me being, let's just say, left of center and opposed to war.

There is one other book I reread that I forgot to mention and that is Nigger by Dick Gregory. Needless to say, given the totally un-PC title, I get lots of stares if I have it out of the house, but his honesty is so raw that I'm drawn to it again and again.

message 48: by Jan (new)

Jan | 241 comments I own probably 700-800 books I still haven't read yet (but intend to....hopefully....)

That depends. How many reading years do you figure you have left? (still trying)

message 49: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (bonfiggi) Kate, I'm pretty far left of center too. I come by it honestly. My grandmother used to run for governor on the Communist Party ticket in her state. I bought the book "Red Diapers," and one of the stories was about her. What McCarthy did to my relatives, I can't even go into.

message 50: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jez476) | 664 comments Some of the books I've read more than once are:

The first three Anne Rice vampire chronicles (3x each), Harry Potter #s 3-6 (2x each), The Phantom of the Opera (2x), The Last Unicorn (2x), Bunnicula (2x), Phantom (2-1/2x), Good Omens (2x), and The Shadow of the Wind (2x).

« previous 1 3 4