Start by marking “The Exile: An Outlander Graphic Novel” as Want to Read:
The Exile: An Outlander Graphic Novel

The Exile: An Outlander Graphic Novel

3.53  ·  Rating details ·  10,810 ratings  ·  1,325 reviews
Diana Gabaldon’s brilliant storytelling has captivated millions of readers in her bestselling and award-winning Outlander saga. Now, in her first-ever graphic novel, Gabaldon gives readers a fresh look at the events of the original Outlander: Jamie Fraser’s side of the story, gorgeously rendered by artist Hoang Nguyen.

After too long an absence, Jamie Fraser is coming home
Published September 21st 2010 by Del Rey

To ask other readers questions about The Exile, please sign up.
Elyse He's not in the books. But it doesn't really matter who he is, if you've read the graphic novel... Apparently just someone Diana wanted to throw in.
Paula Binder This is an excellent follow up to Outlander, as it gives another dimension to the story, told from a different perspective. As it's a graphic novel, f…moreThis is an excellent follow up to Outlander, as it gives another dimension to the story, told from a different perspective. As it's a graphic novel, formatting of the storyline is very different, but gives some different details that in my mind adds depth to the first. This will stand alone very well if you haven't read any others in the series, but why wouldn't you?(less)

·  10,810 ratings  ·  1,325 reviews

Start your review of The Exile: An Outlander Graphic Novel
Sasha Alsberg
Mar 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Eh this was an OKAY graphic novel. I was hoping for a bit more of an understandable plot. I read outlander and this graphic novel sometimes got me confused, especially at the beginning. Also, WHERE WAS JAMIES CURLY HAIR!? Also Claire's breasts kept on getting bigger and bigger - "the mysterious case of the growing breasts" (sounds like a rated PG-13 Nancy Drew Novel lol)
This didn't really convey the exact plot line of Outlander which is understandable but it seemed quite off a points. Although I
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
I like graphic novels and I loved the Outlander book. (Don't judge me because I've only read the first two books-those suckers are big!)
This book really misses both marks.
I think it's called Outlander 1.5 but I never really figured out the story.
I advise skipping this one if you are an Outlander fan because it will make you mad. I advise skipping this one if you hate Outlander because it will make you even madder. With the stupid.
The artwork did not bring Jamie and Claire to life for me. It co
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Oct 11, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2016
ummmmmmm wtf even was this
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Exile: An Outlander Graphic Novel, Diana Gabaldon
The Exile: An Outlander Graphic Novel is a 2010 graphic novel based on Diana Gabaldon's 1991 novel Outlander. Retelling the first third of Outlander, the graphic novel follows married World War II nurse Claire Beauchamp Randall, who finds herself transported back in time to Scotland in 1743. There she encounters civil war and the dashing Highland warrior Jamie Fraser. Unlike the source novel, this work is presented from the point of view of Mu
Kim
Aug 29, 2010 rated it did not like it
You’ve done us a great disservice, Ms. Gabaldon.

What? Did you think we would enjoy a graphic novel version of Outlander from Jamie’s point of view? Really? We are not Twilight fans, Diana (okay, some of us are, but for exasperated outrage sake, let’s not quibble.) We are a different breed.

We’ve forsaken our literary street cred, we’ve risked justified divorce proceedings, we’ve let precious family moments pass us by. We’ve poured through 6,850 pages, 7,458 if you count the Outlandish Companion
Jackie
Jun 30, 2010 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No One
As a longtime Outlander fan it kills me a little inside to give this graphic novel one star, but it must be done. This was horribly disappointing.

It’s been years since I read the first Outlander and while I remember the basics I don’t remember the details. I thought perhaps the gn would help fill in the blanks, but no. This version of the story is good if you just finished Outlander and want to relive it in a slightly different way. There are many plot points in the story that are simply not ex
Tatiana
Jan 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: dedicated Outlander fans
As a free library rental, The Exile: An Outlander Graphic Novel is a satisfying enough addition to the Outlander series. If I had to pay $24.00 for it, I am not sure I'd be pleased.

In the introduction to The Exile: An Outlander Graphic Novel Diana Gabaldon describes this work as a version of Outlander events told from the POV of Murtagh with a completely new storyline woven through them. I find this description a little misleading. Murtagh witnesses and participates in only a fraction of the eve
Misfit
Nov 18, 2010 rated it liked it
☆☽Erica☾☆
Dec 29, 2015 rated it did not like it
#disappointed

This read as a very boring summary of the original.

The art, and I feel bad about saying this because the illustrator put a lot of work in, wasn't all that good... The faces were not consistent and it just wasn't working for me.

Sorry everyone that cares. :(
Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance

You may need a toothpick for this one. It’s Outlander bite-sized.

Unlike my 20th anniversary edition of 627 pages of the first novel, this graphic novel comes micro sized, fast paced, only highlighting the most important events in the briefest of ways. From the time Jamie finds Claire you will follow the abbreviated version of the book till it renders to its end where Claire tells Jamie the truth and tries to return to her time. And we all know what happens….

“The hardest thing I ever did
Megan
Feb 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People obsessed with Outlander, lol
will review tonight..........

ok, sorry it took me so long, had to wait til my daughter started to wind down for the night.

Time for the review! (Note:automatic 5 star rating because I think Diana Gabaldon is wonderful and becuase of my love(obsession?) for Jamie ;) so basically I am saying I am biased, oh well.)

I will discuss the story and artwork seperately:

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS (if you are still reading after this warning you obviously want to be spoiled, you have been warned, b
SheriC (PM)
I’m really not familiar enough with the graphic novel format to judge it on its merits as such, so I’m only going to remark on how well I enjoyed it, or more accurately, did not enjoy it.

Although the story is told primarily from Murtaugh’s POV rather than Claire’s, it seems very much like the story I remember from reading Outlander many years ago. Of course, we get how much Murtaugh distrusts her and disapproves of Jamie’s relationship with her, but we already knew that. There’s also a new char
Marianne
Jul 12, 2016 rated it liked it
The Exile is a graphic novel in the popular Outlander series by American author, Diana Gabaldon. The text is by Gabaldon; the artwork by Vietnam-born Hoang Nguyen. Gabaldon states that it covers approximately the first third of the first book, Outlander, but in reality, it covers the first two thirds. The story is mostly told from the perspective of Jamie’s godfather, Murtagh Fitzgibbons Fraser, and begins where he meets Jamie returning from France.

While the novel contains some new information,
MoodyJess
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Super fabulous! Only wish it was the whole first book of the series. At least it ended at a good part in the story. I was given a wee bit of closure. Beautifully crafted. Lovely artwork.
Bookphenomena (Micky)
I simply adored this graphic novel of outlander. Firstly, it is told from Jamie’s POV and starts a little before outlander. With this element, you get more about Jamie’s other relationships, his inner thoughts and his thoughts are pretty damn funny. Secondly, there is new material and elements to the grand first instalment of these two and I just adored anything extra.

Jamie and Claire were dipicted in a way that worked for me. Different to the series casting in some ways, but I read these books
Bonnie
A shortened and condensed graphic novel version of Diana Gabaldon's Outlander novel told from the perspective of Jamie. I've been having some Outlander withdrawals lately and the book has been on my mind a lot. Before I resorted to going back and simply re-reading the series again (which I'm seriously contemplating doing now, especially after this little refresher) I decided to pick this up. I was left satisfied but wasn't completely blown away by this. Considering the fact that Outlander is ove ...more
Mishelle LaBrash
Jul 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
BIASED OUTLANDER-ER HERE...

This book had 5 stars before I even cracked the spine..

However, even though my love for all things Jamie and Claire pre ranked this book for me, I do have a few bones to pick.. which, in truth is a foreign concept for me, when it comes to 'Goddess Gabaldon'..

1; Way too short.. It needed to be ATLEAST quadruple the size to do the story true justice..

2; Not enough focus on the love between Jamie and Claire.. (Part and partial with the 'way to short' comment'

3; Some art
Carol
This highly condensed version of OUTLANDER written from Jamie's perspective (with an added new character from the past) has some great illustrations that are really, really cool.......a few, however, fell short of my expectations altogether.....

Most importantly, I did not particularly care for the likeness of Jamie, darn it.....and Claire was okay, except for her obviously major "boob job", but Colum.......poor Colum......he turned out to be waaaaay too short......like a child. Anyway.......

As a

Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
I'm sort of torn on this. If this is aimed at people who are Outlander fans then I am the target audience but I found it just way too similar to the original for it to be particularly interesting. I also struggled with the illustrations themselves. Some pages were just so overwhelming and cluttered. A lot of the characters with dialogue also looked VERY similar so I had a hard time telling them apart.
The good: thank you for keeping those iconic lines from the book in here!
Sarah-Lambert Cook
Sep 23, 2010 rated it did not like it
I first picked up the Outlander series a couple of years ago through my mother, who has been reading them since they began in '91, and am now a big fan myself. While I have loved each of this series' installations (if a bit bored with TFC), 'The Exile' does not rank as a "winner" in my book.

Yes, Diana Gabaldon has dabbled in comic writing (Having written Scrooge McDuck comics some time ago), but I would say she really needs to hone her skills at graphic novel writing before adding another to th
Melissa **Just Really Loves Musicals**
*3.5 stars*

Interesting but a little confusing at times, especially with working out who some of the characters were when it wasn't explicitly mentioned. Definitely a fun read and something I would recommend to any Outlander fan.
Holly
Feb 21, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Look at me - going from zero graphic novels to two! Very exciting.

What's not exciting however is this horrid rendition of Outlander. These novels are MASSIVE and and apparently are just not conducive to being condensed down. At least not if you want it to be coherent in any way, shape, or form. I mean, I read these books and even I was confused while reading this. Large and very necessary parts were left out, the character of Kenneth was added, Claire's boobs got bigger and bigger as the story
Sue Smith
I know that graphic novels are supposed to be concise and visual - that's the point of them isn't it!? But concise with hard hitting points - the visual impact of the situation and characters - that's what makes the graphic line of novels stand alone - a picture can say a thousand words.

So to say this book has the same impact as the original would be laughable. Truthfully, it doesn't even come close to the depth and emotion and the adventure of the book. Why it has even been produced in this for
Lori Anderson
Sep 30, 2010 rated it it was ok
OK. The "Outlander" series is my all-time favorite series. So I was quite interested to see how a graphic novel would play out. I knew it wouldn't cover new material, but merely show a different view point of already written material.

I was apprehensive for one reason -- the drawing and depiction of Jamie. All fans have a very strong image in their mind of what Jamie looks like. This, I think, is why we both anticipate and dread a movie of "Outlander". That being said, the drawing of Jamie wasn't
Jennifer Lane
Jun 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Finally a Diana Gabaldon book I could read in less than two hours!

This was the first graphic novel I've read, and I found the experience rather strange. It was like Outlander yet not like Outlander. I loved Outlander so much I kind of wish Ms. Gabaldon didn't mess with it, but I also enjoyed the opportunity to gobble up more Jamie (or at least the artist Hoang Nguyen's representation of Jamie). It's hard waiting for book #8 of the series!

What I liked:
1) The inclusion of the scene where Claire de
Kathy
Maybe, if you hadn't read all of the Outlander series, or even the first one, this graphic version might appeal to you. However, coming to this version after being a fan of the series and having images of Jamie and Claire dance through my head, I was very disappointed. A 3 rating is me being kind in this instance.
Mauoijenn
Good, but I know the books are SO MUCH BETTER! I've got to read them in order.
Debra Petersen (Queen of Historical Fiction)
Not one of the best of works by Diana. There were a lot of inconsistencies with this and the original novel. It also felt disjointed and it was a bit confusing to understand during multiple points of view what the heck was going on. Some of the discrepancies include Murtagh being in love with Jamie’s mother which doesn’t happen in the books though it does happen in the TV show. There were also multiple times where the overall story was rearranged to fit the purpose of it being a graphic novel. A ...more
Ashley DiNorcia
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
This was just sort of weird and unnecessary. The plot was all wonky, the art was attractive but didn't really fit the feel of it and I'm just all around just not impressed.
Ivy
Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 stars

Nice to see how Jamie and Claire met. The families were very interesting too. The old days seemed very different from times now. Hope to see Murtagh again.

Still have to finish the first Outlander novel.

Has anyone seen the TV show? If so, is it good?
Outlander Series: The Exile - Graphic Novel 132 391 Jul 25, 2019 10:10AM
Books & Coffee Bo...: The Exile: An Outlander Graphic Novel 4 2 Jul 19, 2019 05:05AM
Caroline Library ...: The Exile 1 5 Jun 02, 2016 09:38AM
Outlander Series ...: Outlander graphic novel 12 25 Sep 02, 2015 08:12PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #36 - The Exile 1 2 Jun 08, 2015 04:09PM
Vaginal Fantasy B...: The Exile 12 249 Jan 27, 2013 06:35PM

• The Making of Outlander: The Official Guide to Seasons 1 & 2
  • Dragonfly In Amber: by Diana Gabaldon (Outlander, Book 2) | Summary & Analysis
  • Outlander Kitchen: The Official Outlander Companion Cookbook
  • Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Graphic Novel
  • Finding Fraser
  • The Mousse Wonderful Time of Year (Oxford Tearoom Mysteries, #10)
  • Chains` Redemption (Infernal Sons MC #2)
  • Under One Sky (Time Travel Guardian Romance #1)
  • When Love Collides (Time Travel Guardian Romance Series, Book 2): Sweet Time Travel Romance
  • In The Clearing
  • Caravaggio. La tavolozza e la spada
  • The Luck of Roaring Camp and Other Writings
  • The Time Bandit Solution: Recovering Stolen Time You Never Knew You Had
  • Red Hats
  • Majestic Mountain Romance (Majestic Mountain Ranch #1-7)
  • A Heart Reconsidered (Peacock Hill Romance Book 6)
  • Dog Shaming 2020 Wall Calendar
Diana Jean Gabaldon Watkins grew up in Flagstaff, Arizona and is of Mexican-American and English descent. She has earned three degrees: a B.S. in Zoology, a M.S. in Marine Biology, and a Ph.D in Ecology.

She currently lives in Scottsdale, Arizona .