Reading the Chunksters discussion

General Archive > What is distracting you from your Chunkster right now? (a.k.a. what else are you reading?)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 393 (393 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

message 1: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) I thought it might be an interesting/fun idea for us to have a place to talk about all the non-Chunkster books we're reading.

Right now, I'm being distracted by:

-The Sookie Stackhouse series (starts with Dead Until Dark), which is kind of cheesy, kind of trashy, but still totally fun... I've read 6 (!!!) of them in under a month.

- Friday Night Lights: A Town, a Team, and a Dream, which is really amazing. I've had a lot of trouble putting it down.

- Never Let Me Go, which I'm really enjoying, but I'm reading much more slowly than the other books I mentioned. I tend to pick it up, read a chapter (only 10-15 pages), then put it down again.

So now you all know why I'm still in the middle of the Week 7 Stand assignment. :)

message 2: by Amy (last edited Oct 14, 2010 07:05PM) (new)

Amy (bibliocrates) I read Dead Until Dark, and I agree that it's good, trashy fun! I've also read Never Let Me Go at a slow pace as well. It's the sort of book you can't really zip through isn't it. I've been reading The Stand since I bought it a couple days ago, trying to catch up. I've got The Others by James Herbert in the car. I read it when I'm waiting to pick up the kids at school or sitting in offices for appointments, etc. That one will take me a while.

Of course, I can't forget the many chunksters I'm reading in Nursing School...

message 3: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Loretta, this was a great thread idea, I'm so glad you stared it!

I always have an absurd amount of books going so it can be embarrassing to tell people what I'm reading.

I have the Stand going which I usually read on Sunday.

I have a stupid Barbara Delinsky book I read at work.

In bed I'm reading The Surrendered by Chang-Rae Lee. he is an amazing author that writes amazing stories but they can be labor intensive to read.

I'm reading Tales of a Female Nomad for a women's book group on good reads that focus on health.

I'm listening to The Secret Life of Bees in the car driving back and forth to work.

I'm reading a book of short stories called a Taste of Honey which has been a very nice break when I only have a little reading time.

I also have another short story book going called Gold Boy, Emerald Girl. This I snatched from the New stack at the library because I keep seeing reviews for it and I knew if I didn't grab it then it would be gone.

Lastly, I have Very Valentina going by Adriana Trigiani, she's one of my favs but I think I'm going to have to return this and check it out another time.

Like I said, embarrassing....

message 4: by Yassemin (new)

Yassemin (yas666) Wow andrea thats a load of books! :)

message 5: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) lol..Andrea, I was going to say my stack was embarrassing, but now I feel better, we are both book addicts who multi-task!

Lets See, Here's My list:

I started Seal of Honor: Operation Red Wings and the Life of LT. Michael P. Murphy, USN by Gary Williams when I left on my trip, it's amazing. I read it when I have any free time.

I have Where Men Win Glory: The Odyssey of Pat Tillman by Jon Krakauer going too. I am listening tho this one at work while I draw or do other things that don't involve reading text.

I have The Winds of War by Herman Wouk going, this one is long, and it's taking me a long time to read, mostly because I'm reading it when I am slow at work...I love eBooks!

I am also reading The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain, this one is fun for me...I'm reading it to my son (8 years old) and we try to read a chapter per night, although we have been slacking the last 2 weeks.

I've also decided that I want to have finished 90 books this year (I'm at 74) so I have a list of books that are on my TBR...very distracting, and if I finish all the onel on the list I will actually have read 95 books! Can't wait to see where I land.

Loretta, thanks for posting this thread! Great Idea!

message 6: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie (natjen29) The Stand is my Friday or Saturday read.
Other than that I usually have one other book, which is at the moment The Divine Comedy and it's taking up a lot of time :)

And Loretta.. I read the Sookie Stackhouse series quite quickly too. Took me only 2 days a book. They are good fun, a whole lot better than that sleazy show on television.

message 7: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Kristi, your list made me feel a tab bit better...lol

message 8: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) @ Kristi: Where Men Win Glory: The Odyssey of Pat Tillman looks so very good. I definitely plan on reading that soon. I'd love to hear what you think of it when you're done.

message 9: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) Loretta, it's great so far! I 'm liking the mix of biography and History.

message 10: by Lyn (Readinghearts) (last edited Oct 19, 2010 11:46AM) (new)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I am also reading the Sookie Stackhouse series, and am just beginning the second one.

In addition I am reading:

Samurai William: The Englishman Who Opened Japan by Giles Miltonm which is a book about the real person that the book Shogun is based on. I am a history buff!

The Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich

My current classic is Dracula by Bram Stoker

Lastly, my current contemporary book is The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Loretta wrote: "I thought it might be an interesting/fun idea for us to have a place to talk about all the non-Chunkster books we're reading.

-The Sookie Stackhouse series..."

Loretta - I loved Friday Night Lights. It was a great book. AND Never Let Me Go is one of my favorites of all time. I am shameless in my recommendations of that book!

message 12: by Loretta (last edited Oct 19, 2010 05:19PM) (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) @ Lyn: I'm loving both of them as well. Never Let Me Go is written so simply and so beautifully. I'm about halfway done now, and my reading speed on it has picked up considerably as the mysteries unfold.

And Friday Night Lights is just masterful. I think of it as a series of concentric circles--you start with the team, then you get the town, then the state, then the entire United States.

I read The Gargoyle earlier this year. I really enjoyed it, but didn't find it worth the huge amount of buzz.

message 13: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Lyn and Loretta, I love Janet Evanovich! That is my mindless reading, I need to laugh, go to reading. I keep trying to stretch out the books. I'm looking forward to the movie versions and the new series staring Diesel!

I have Never Let e Go to read and I'm going to try and fit it in this year. I promised my hairdresser it was going to go to her by my next appointment....lol

I think I also either have the Gargoyle or I want it...lol

So much good book talk, so little time!

message 14: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) are we talking Vin Disesl?? now I may have to jump on the Janet Evanovich bandwagon!

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) If we are, he would be great in at least one of the rolls I can think of.

message 16: by Andrea (new)

Andrea No Kristi, but the men in JE's books are hunky, unless they are comicical in nature and then she usually describes them as pot bellied, short, and balding. She is really funny though and great if your just looking for light reading that can be read in one to two seatings.

message 17: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) @ Lyn: OMG, were you right about Never Let Me Go, or what? I LOVED it. It's such a small book, but filled to the brim with so many things that I now have to sit and think about--I'm sure I'll be rereading this multiple times over the years.

I've also started reading The Walking Dead Compendium Volume 1--it's over 1000 pages, but it's a graphic novel, so it goes VERY quickly.

With The Stand, Never Let Me Go, and The Walking Dead, it seems that I'm on a major postapocalyptic/dystopian kick. LOL.

message 18: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) Never Let Me Go looks really good, after all the good reviews I think I'll have to read it! Thanks Lyn and Loretta!

message 19: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannah-banana) Loretta wrote: "I thought it might be an interesting/fun idea for us to have a place to talk about all the non-Chunkster books we're reading.

-The Sookie Stackhouse series..."

I'm going to be starting Never Let Me Go this week for a class, lol!! I'm glad that it looks like a decent read : )

Right now I'm finishing up Latte Trouble by Cleo Coyle which is the third CoffeeHouse Mystery series. This is a cozy mystery series which are light reads, but really entertaining lol!!

message 20: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) Hannah, out of curiosity, what's the topic of the class?

message 21: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) I'm Reading:

That Others May Live: The True Story of a PJ, a Member of America's Most Daring Rescue Force by Jack Brehm

The Warrior Elite: The Forging of SEAL Class 228 by Dick Couch

and I have to start Cleopatra: A Life this week so I can get it back to the Library by the due date!

Also picked up Unbearable Lightness: A Story of Loss and Gain by Portia de Rossi because some good friends gave it a great review...it's looking good so far.

I have absolutly no idea why I feel so thinly spread...lol. I need to buckle down and get these read so I can put a little more focus into my chunkster! I really only want to have 1 print book, 1 Audiobook, and my chunkster going at a time.

message 22: by Tasha (new)

Tasha @Kristi, I put both of those first books you mentioned on my tbr list. Lately I've been interested in military stories so I'd love to hear what you think about them.

Right now I'm reading The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje . This is a reread for me.

message 23: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) I started Room by Emma Donoghue last night and got 2/3 of the way through. I'm sure I'll finish it tonight. It's pretty amazing.

message 24: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Loretta, so many people have told me that this book was 5 star all the way!

message 25: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) ... and I just finished. Definitely five stars, with tears at several points along the way.

It's funny, because I'd read two of Donoghue's novels before (Slammerkin and Life Mask), and, though I enjoyed them, they were basically just good, solid reads, but perhaps not something I'd ever reread, and not something that would be remembered in 15 or 20 years.

But having read Room, I feel like I've just witness an artist fully maturing into her gift.

WOW, but it was good.

I wonder what awards we'll be seeing it win this year.

message 26: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannah-banana) @Loretta, it's called a Pathway class. My college is the only school anywhere that has it lol. Basically you choose from 16 different classes by interest level, not based on major at all (though technically if you are interested in it it probably does link to your major somehow! Lol...). You take Part 1 of the class fall of your freshman year and Part 2 spring of your sophmore year. In between you need to take "Stepping Stone" classes that link to your pathway class. In Part 2 we will not only return to themes from Part one but connect our stepping stones to the class.
So my class specifically is called Desire. We're studying why humans desire, what is the ultimate desire., etc. The closest subject to relate it to is a World Lit. class basically. It's pretty interesting! Lol....sorry to ramble!

Also, I've heard that Rooms is phenomenal! I'm so jealous that you have a copy to read lol! I think it's going on my Christmas list because being a poor college student I don't have the money ; ) Can't wait to read it though!!

@Sabrina I can't wait to hear how you enjoy the book! I've heard that ones amazing too....let us know!!

I just finished Latte Trouble tonight.
Latte Trouble (Coffeehouse Mystery, #3) by Cleo Coyle
Amazing! Seriously, she threw in a twist at the end like an expert no clue it was coming at all! Another one I'll admit I figured out, but it was a really great addition to the series, can't wait to read the next one!
Tonight I started The Eyes of Darkness by Dean Koontz. Should be interesting ; )
The Eyes of Darkness by Dean Koontz

Now I just need to attempt to get my hands on a copy of The Lady in White....hmmmm not sure how or when yet ; ) Talk soon!

message 27: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Sabrina, I really enjoyed Saving CeeCee Honeycutt! It is very sweet and she is an adorable character that you want to wrap your arms around.

Loretta, I read Slammerkin and felt pretty much like you did. I also have Life Mask here to be read. I was at BJ's and Room was only $13 so I think I'll go back and grab it since it seems like something that I could pass onto friends.

Hannah, your school sounds very interesting. Being an online student I can really appreciate how different approaches to learning can really help some people become learners.

message 28: by AM10000 (last edited Nov 15, 2010 10:36PM) (new)

AM10000 Right now my main read is: Ladykiller by Lawrence Light ..Really enjoying it so far. :)

message 29: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (kristina3880) I am reading The Passage and Room. I also am listening to an audio of City of Glass.

message 30: by Amy (new)

Amy (bibliocrates) I really enjoyed The Passage Kristina!

message 31: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Kristina, I have heard that both of these books are great! What do you think so far? Also, it's nice to have another member to the muti-reading/listening to at the same time club!...lol

message 33: by Andrea (new)

Andrea I have about a dozen books going right now...hahah Not sure where it got so out of hand, but I'm thinking that these will take me through the end of 2010 so I'm cramming in everything I can to reach my extended goal of 100 books.

message 34: by AM10000 (new)

AM10000 I'm reading Definitely Dead now. :) I also have a few others going, but not really reading those currently, haven't given up on them yet.

message 35: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) I just started Cleopatra: A Life by Stacy Schiff...man, I am LOVING this book so far. Really great history lesson plus it is uncovering the actual woman that Cleopatra was, instead of the sensationalized person she is portrayed as.

message 36: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (kristina3880) Andrea, Room is soooo good. I will have this book finished tonight. The Passage is starting to get a little slow for me. I really liked the first half! I love audio books although the narrator for the City of Glassis not that great.

message 37: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) In addition to The Woman in White and The Stand, I'm also currently reading:

Game Change Obama and the Clintons, McCain and Palin, and the Race of a Lifetime by John Heilemann - if you're even the slightest bit interested in politics, or if you were just drawn in by the 2008 election, I'd highly recommend this. It's not particularly "deep," but it's entertaining as hell.

The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters - I was languishing at the 50 page mark for a while, but now it's starting to get good. I'm hoping to finish this during the holiday weekend.

message 38: by Amy (new)

Amy (bibliocrates) I'm reading Snow by Ronald Malfi.

I've been wanting to read The Little Stranger for a long time, glad you're starting to like it Loretta.

message 39: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (kristina3880) I am reading Russian Winter by Daphne Kalotay and I am really liking this one. I am about half way through. I will keep ya'll posted.

message 40: by AM10000 (new)

AM10000 I'm reading Shoot the Moon by Billie Letts ... almost halfway through..easy read, pretty good, but not my favorite by her.

message 41: by Andrea (new)

Andrea I'm reading her new one right now and it is pretty good. Of course I can't remember the title and it is in the car...lol

message 42: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) Ok, hoping to start LOTR soon, but I'm also working on The Dark Tower series by Stephen King....currently almost done w/ Book 2: The Drawing of the Three, and Les Miserables by Victor Hugo....which is a chunkster, itself!

message 43: by Loretta (last edited Jan 11, 2011 11:51AM) (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) Les Misérables is one of my favorite books ever. LOVE it.

I'm finishing up The Hobbit: Or There and Back Again--should be done today. I should be able to read the first LOTR assignment in time to keep with the schedule, which is good.

I'm also reading The Muse of Edouard Manet, which is a self-published novel one of my other groups selected. I'm really enjoying it so far, though there have been a few typos here and there--the result of self-publishing I suppose. :)

message 44: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) So far I'm loving Les Miserables. I pretty much knew I would cause I love the musical and have seen it 5 times or so. My only complaint....if it is one....is that it is so dense. I could do w/out the politics and history, but thats just me and I know that would take out alot of what makes it special. I've been working on it for well over a year. I keep having to take breaks...vacations, sorta. I'm looking forward to finishing that shortly, though. :)

It's definitely worth the time and effort!

message 45: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) Oh, and I almost forgot. I promised my son, who is a huge fan of The Hobbit, that we would reread The Hobbit (hopefully starting today) together and then move into LOTR together. So, I'm excited about that.

message 46: by Loretta (last edited Jan 11, 2011 11:57AM) (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) Kathy, I'll admit the history and politics was a large part of what made me fall in love with the book. I felt completely transported back in time, immersed in 19th century French culture.

I'd never seen the musical, so I went into it unspoiled, which was great I think. I still haven't seen it, but have listened to parts of the soundtrack (easy enough to do since I know the story).

I've been meaning to read The Hunchback of Notre-Dame as well. I've had a copy for a while, just haven't gotten to it yet.

message 47: by Samantha (last edited Jan 11, 2011 11:59AM) (new)

message 48: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalucia) Leighanne: Bone Woman looks really interesting. I just added it to my TBR. Thanks for bringing my attention to it. :)

message 49: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) Loretta wrote: "Kathy, I'll admit the history and politics was a large part of what made me fall in love with the book. I felt completely transported back in time, immersed in 19th century French culture.

I've been meaning to read The Hunchback of Notre-Dame as well. I've had a copy for a while, just haven't gotten to it yet.

..."

Maybe The Hunchback of Notre-Dame would make a group or side read? :)

message 50: by Tasha (new)

Tasha My current distractions are:

The House at Riverton and Generation Kill. But, I am definitely keeping up with our side read of Crime & Punishment.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8