Dementia - Reading Challenges discussion

Past Group Reads > The Edge - I. Andrews

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (last edited Sep 25, 2010 01:21PM) (new)

Heather T (horrorvacui000) | 532 comments Mod
On the Edge (The Edge, #1) by Ilona Andrews Bayou Moon (The Edge, #2) by Ilona Andrews

Just be sure to specify which book you're referring to.

message 2: by Heather (new)

So, when I started The Edge I read the first chapter and put it down. I didn't understand the world she was talking about kind of gave up on it. Then, I got pestered into reading Ilona Andrews' Kate Daniels series. The first book was rough because of all the world building, but each book in the series got progressively better. Now I'm a huge fan. So, I went back and gave The Edge a try. It was much easier to understand after having given the other stories a chance. It wasn't because the world's are the same, it's just because I had a hard time understanding what the concept of magic in the world for some reason. Outside of Harry Potter, I hadn't read anything in which there was a different, or hidden, realm. Once I got over the road blocks in my own head I enjoyed it. I like Kate Daniels better, but that's because it's more UF than PNR. I'm hoping, since it's Andrews habit, that Bayou Moon will be better than book 1. I'll let you know since I'm starting it today.

message 3: by Heather (new)

Hehe. Andrews site says she calls these "rustic fantasy" because it sounds better than "hillbilly romance." I think hillbilly romance describes them aptly, especially with a quote like:

"Yes, I'm too mad to punish you right now. We'll talk about it when we get home. Go brush your teeth,comb your hair, put on dry clothes, and get the guns. We're going to Wal-Mart."

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) That's an awesome quote though.

message 5: by Heather (new)

You almost need the guns to brave the crowds.

message 6: by Heather (last edited Oct 02, 2010 09:07PM) (new)

I'm liking Bayou Moon. It's much easier to get into it knowing a little bit about the world and what's going on. I like William a lot. Andrews is good at writing kick-butt girls and guys that are are willing to stand beside them as oppose to lock them up for their protection.
It's on that line between UF and PNR. It's got aspects of both.
100 pages more to go...

message 7: by Heather (new)

So many odd things. I think you'll like Andrews Stacia. I saw you read book 1 of Kate. They get better and this series is easier once you've trudge through Kate 1. Although, the hardest thing is not to read the exert for Kate 5 at the end. If I read it I'll be tortured, but knowing it's there is it's own torture.