Fantasy Aficionados discussion

Fun and Games > Interview the Person Below You

Comments Showing 1-50 of 121 (121 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) | 49 comments Here you ask 3 questions, someone comes by and answers them. Then the person who answered gets to make 3 more questions. Sound easy enough?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1) If you could be any Dragon you wanted, which would you be and why?
2) Who's your favorite Fantasy writer?
3) What's your favorite Fantasy book?

message 2: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 940 comments 1. Puff, the magic dragon, because he's sweet.
2. Frank Herbert
3. Dune, what else? I compare all fantasy books to Dune. I'm doomed.

-------------------

1. Would you rather have horror or romance in your fantasy?
2. Do you prefer fantasy or sci-fi?
3. What fantasy world would you like to live in?

message 3: by Weenie (last edited Sep 16, 2010 05:00PM) (new)

Weenie 1. Horror
2. Fantasy
3. In a world where I'm not a muggle

Do questions have to be fantasy/sci-fi related? I'll stick an odd one in then:

1. Might or Magic and why?
2. If you could travel backwards in time, what would you change?
3. What's your favourite pizza?

message 4: by Laurel (new)

Laurel 1. Magic - it would allow me to try out anything my silly imagination could come up with. Plus, I've always preferred brain over brawn.
2. I would find out if King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table truly existed.
3. Favorite pizza is pepperoni and pineapple. Try it!

---------------------------------

1. Are the chracter traits of your favorite fantasy protagonists similar to the traits you look for in friends?
2. Han Solo or Luke Skywalker?
3. Best item checked off on your Bucket List.

message 5: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 940 comments 1. Yes. I look for loyalty, sincerity and bravery.
2. Han Solo! Man over boy any day. Yummy.
3. Got my MFA in fine arts/painting. Best life decision, although I'm not a painter now. It's more for my soul.

-------------------

1. How do you mainly communicate with people?
2. Do you write in short spurts, or long paragraphs?
3. Do you like the short texting style popular nowadays, or prefer the long flowing paragraphs?

message 6: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) | 49 comments 1) Though this computer.
2) Just depends on who & what i'm writing about.
3) Long flowing paragraphs.

1) In a fantasy world would you rather take a voyage on a ship, or cross country on horse back?
2) If you did magic what kind would it be?
3) If you were a fighter what weapon would you use?

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 5387 comments (1)Horse back
(2) clerical
(3) long sword

1. Fighter, Wizard, or Rogue?
2. Urban Fantasy, Sword and Sorcery, or Epic Fantasy?
3. If in an adventure would you prefer a forest adventure, an urban adventure, or a sea adventure?

message 8: by Weenie (new)

Weenie 1. Fighter
2. Epic Fantasy
3. Forest adventure

========================

1. Fight for the dark side or the forces of good?
2. Batman or Spiderman?
3. Are you a gamer and if so, what's your game?

message 9: by Nancy (new)

Nancy 1. eternal life
2. keep it
3. my friend

1. Would you rather date a vampire or a werewolf?
2. Which shapeshifter would you most like to be - a kitsune or a selkie?
3. Series or standalone?

message 10: by Brainycat (new)

Brainycat | 70 comments 1) Vampire, definitely. The urbane sociopath is a much more appealing meme to me than the overt instictualist.

2) [runs off to google for a moment] I guess selkie, as that would allow me to experience a world totally alien to the one I experience as a hominid.

3) What's better than a great book? A whole series of great books!

1) Have you ever read a story where you identified with the antagonist more than the protagonist?

2) What's your "tragic flaw"?

3) You've overcome the obstacles and reached the holy room with the magic weapon you need to destroy the monster. What kind of weapon is it?

message 11: by Jason (last edited Nov 10, 2010 02:59AM) (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3204 comments 1) Yes. I identify with the antagonist a lot, actually. Not all, of course. Just a lot of them.

2) Probably that I identify with antagonists...

3) What kind of weapon? Hmmm... I'm stuck between a big broadsword or an AK/47.

1) If you were to disappear from this world and enter the universe of a book, what book would that be?

2) Of the classics, who do you prefer to read: Edgar Allan Poe, Jane Eyre, or Charles Dickens?

3) Who or what is the most evil villian you've ever read?

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 5387 comments 1. I'm a little stuck here, let me hedge a little and say either....the world of The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon or Roger Zelazny's The Great Book of Amber.

2. Edgar Allen Poe.

3.This is a bit difficult as it delves into the nature of evil. Restricting myself to fiction I'm going to say Bob Ewell from To Kill a Mockingbird rates way up there. He doesn't have a lot of power, but he blights all around him. In a Fantasy novel I'd have to say Melkor/Morgoth or Sauron.

1. Are you a Bright Hero or a Dark Overlord? Why?

2. Who is your favorite fantasy protagonist male or female, good or evil? Why?

3.You are trapped and fighting the last and most desperate battle of a your own fantasy world. You can call one hero to aid you (any fictional source, novel, graphic novel/comic book, movie, TV, etc., your choice). Who do you call?

message 13: by Brainycat (new)

Brainycat | 70 comments "Ghostbusters" heh ;)

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 5387 comments I didn't say "who ya gonna' call"....LOL

1. Are you a Bright Hero or a Dark Overlord? Why?

2. Who is your favorite fantasy protagonist male or female, good or evil? Why?

3.You are trapped and fighting the last and most desperate battle of a your own fantasy world. You can call one hero to aid you (any fictional source, novel, graphic novel/comic book, movie, TV, etc., your choice). Who do you call?

message 15: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (sullypython) | 1 comments 1. I would say Bright Hero, but a Bright Hero in a Joe Abercrombie novel meaning I would certainly fight the bad guys on their own terms (I.e., maybe a "dark" Bright Hero.

2. Locke Lamora (by a wide margin)

3. No contest. Hari "Caine" Michelson from Heroes Die because the man does not know how to lose.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. What is your favorite fantasy magic system? Why?

2. What fantasy supporting character is most in need of his/her own series?

3. Name a fantasy character that you would most like to see written by a different author. Why?

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 5387 comments I was unaware of Heroes Die, I'll have to order it I suppose. Amazon has it.

Another for my "to be read" stack...as I've said, I have no will power.

message 17: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 11, 2011 04:45PM) (new)

1. Allomancy from Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn Series. It's unique and I think rather awesome.

2. Hmm...although it could be argued that he's not truly solely a supporting character I think Tyrion Lannister is strongly in need of his own series or at the very least a standalone.

3. I'd like to see Harry Dresden written by Glen Cook. He's one of my favorite characters, as I strongly relate to his personality, but I really feel that Jim Butcher drew greatly on Glen Cook's The Garrett Files for his inspiration. So! I'm curious as to the type of man Harry Dresden would be under the "inspirational author's" tutelage. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. Was there a defining moment in your life where you fell in love with the fantasy genre? If so, please explain.

2. To which fantasy character do you feel that you most closely relate? How and why?

3. If you could have a fantasy author write another novel in an already complete fantasy series, which author/series would you choose? Why?

message 18: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (last edited Jan 13, 2011 10:51AM) (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments 1. Was there a defining moment in your life where you fell in love with the fantasy genre? If so, please explain.
Reading Mercedes Lackey's Mage Winds Winds of Fate series. I read the entire 1st book in one night (and missed school the next day, lol).

2. To which fantasy character do you feel that you most closely relate? How and why?

Let me think about this one. In my daydreams I’m an action heroine but in reality I hate to be without my creature comforts, lol

3. If you could have a fantasy author write another novel in an already complete fantasy series, which author/series would you choose? Why?

I think I would either have Andre Norton do a Valdemar novel or LA Banks write a Witch World novel. I love Andre Norton. I feel that almost anything she touches turns to gold, so I can only salivate at the idea of her writing in my favorite “world.”

My choice of LA Banks is a little different. I loved (most of) her Vampire Huntress series Minion (Vampire Huntress Legend, #1) by L.A. Banks and some short stories I’ve read but I feel that a system like Witch World would require her to put some polish on her work. A lot of LA Banks starts to feel the same after a few books.

1. Which fantasy book/author would you consider your “comfort read?”
2. Which villain do you feel is the most “fleshed out” and human?
3. What book/author did you buy that you wish you could get a refund for?

message 19: by Mach (last edited Jan 13, 2011 11:40AM) (new)

Mach | 572 comments 1. Harry Potter books by JK Rowling

2. Cersei Lannister by George RR Martin (but i'm not sure if she qualifies as a villain).

3. Eragon by Christopher Paolini. I thought it was so predictable it was painful to read it.

1. Hero with flaws or the nice pure hero, wich one do you prefer?

2. Have you ever read books were you wish some evil character would go to over to the good guys side, if so which one?

3. Is there a character on the good guys side that you want the author to get rid of?

message 20: by Brad (new)

Brad (bradjessup) | 22 comments 1. Comfort read? I guess for something simple, cozy and warm I would have to say Weis & Hickman's Dragonlance series and Brook's Shannara series.

I think The Wishsong of Shannara is my most comforting read. I have re-read it a number of times. And, risking the wrath of the rules police, that book also contains the defining moment I fell in love with fantasy (Grant's question 1). I remember it like it was yesterday (but it was 25 years ago). Page 82, when Slanter says, "Looks like you've got the luck this day, boy," he growled. "You've just been rescued by Garet Jax!"

2. Fleshed out villain. At the risk of looking like a copycat, I would have to say Tyrion Lannister (or maybe Jaime Lannister). Although I am not sure either of them is really a villain. That's what makes Ice and Fire series so great. Everyone is gray, neither black nor white.

3. Refund? All the Clive Barker books I bought. Fortunately their weren't many. I might say Jordan's Wheel of Time series because that would amount to some serious coin but in the end I am glad I read them.

---

1. Which fantasy character do you think would win in a cage match?

2. Which book/author did you love that most others thought otherwise and you are somewhat embarrassed to admit?

3. What power/superpower/magical power would you most like to have?

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

1. Hmm...a cage match. Barring some lameass all powerful sorcerer and sticking to characters without any superpowers I would choose Logen Ninefingers hands down. I think he would literally eat his opponent. With a nice red wine.

2. I hate to cop out here but I don't really think I have one. I'm kind of a fantasy snob so I tend to be very picky about which authors I like and very hard on the ones that I don't. But since I don't have an embarrassing book/author to admit I'll give you an embarrassing song instead. Katrina and the Waves - Walking on Sunshine. *sigh* it's so lame but the song just makes me grin everytime I hear it.

3. The power to grant or take away immortality. In my mind's eye immortality would in itself bestow invulnerability and perfect health on top of long life so it's a three for one at minimum. I would naturally bestow it one myself and those with whom I wish to share eternity.

1. What was your favorite moment in a fantasy novel? Give details.

2. If you could meet any fantasy author living or dead who would it be and what would you ask?

3. If a movie were being made about your favorite fantasy character, who would you cast to play him/her? Why?

message 22: by Mike (the Paladin) (last edited Jan 13, 2011 02:11PM) (new)

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 5387 comments Brad, you and Machavelli posted almost the at the same time...so let me drop back and answer his questions:

1. Hero with flaws or the nice pure hero, wich one do you prefer?

I love a hero who tries for purity... They often fail but then "hopefully" overcome the flaw. So, I like a hero with true idealism who manages "in the end" to deal with their flaws, not denying they were there, but overcoming them, with help, with faith etc.

2. If you could meet any fantasy author living or dead who would it be and what would you ask?

C.S.Lewis... The questions would be theological as to his understanding of God's grace and it's application as to all people. (I know that's not a fantasy question, so you may want another. Lewis would be my first choice).

3. If a movie were being made about your favorite fantasy character, who would you cast to play him/her? Why? First I'd have to name the character. On that score I'd go with Paksenarrion. Who to play her. That's a hard one. I suppose the hair color could be changed but you'd need a tall statuesque woman, she'd need to be athletic but also a good actress. Charlize Theron comes to mind, but I'm not sure. She can act and she did some action in a couple of pictures...but I'd want an exceptional job done of this character. That's a hard one.

I could go on at this point and answer Grant's questions, but instead I will copy them and put them below and give someone else a chance to answer and provide questions.

Grant's Questions:

3. If a movie were being made about your favorite fantasy character, who would you cast to play him/her? Why?

so which one?

message 23: by Mike (the Paladin) (last edited Jan 13, 2011 02:12PM) (new)

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 5387 comments Just noticed the last 2 are the same....duh, I'm a little slow.

So, Grant's first question:

There's a moment in Oath of Gold when Paksenarrion comes over a hill to the Duke's stronghold. I love that moment. After all she's been through and all that's to come it's the moment when she's acted on her newly found paladinhood and a return to old friends. It always moves me.

---------------------------------------------------

1. To fall back on my roll playing background, what alignment? What profession?

2. What's your favorite High or epic fantasy character? Why (if you can explain it)?

3. Who's your favorite Urban Fantasy character? Why (same caveat)?

Here are Machaelli's questions I still missed..oops

2. Have you ever read books were you wish some evil character would go to over to the good guys side, if so which one?

3. Is there a character on the good guys side that you want the author to get rid of?

I tried to help and made a worse mess...sorry.

message 24: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments 1. Which fantasy character do you think would win in a cage match?
Druss the Legend, hands down

2. Which book/author did you love that most others thought otherwise and you are somewhat embarrassed to admit?
The Dark Is Rising Sequence – I know it’s a kids series but I really enjoy it. Other than my mother, I really don’t know of anyone else who’s read them over the age of 12. I also enjoyed The Da Vinci Code.

3. What power/superpower/magical power would you most like to have?
Umm, that’s hard. I’d say some type of offensive magic.

message 25: by Brad (new)

Brad (bradjessup) | 22 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "I also enjoyed The Da Vinci Code. ..."

Me too. I had already read Holy Blood, Holy Grail so I knew a fair bit about the Holy Grail = Jesus bloodline theory going into it. Interesting concepts and fast-paced thriller. A fun read.

message 26: by Katie (new)

Katie | 50 comments (So, I guess I'll answer all 5 to make it less of a mess haha)
1. To fall back on my roll playing background, what alignment? What profession?
Okay, so the only role playing I know anything about comes from Star Wars. I would have to say Light Side, Jedi Knight ;)

2. What's your favorite High or epic fantasy character? Why (if you can explain it)?
My favorite character would probably be Jaenelle Angelline from the Black Jewels trilogy. I love that she's so incredibly powerful and intelligent but emotionally fragile. I really enjoyed her characters progression throughout the novels.

3. Who's your favorite Urban Fantasy character? Why (same caveat)?
I'm not sure I really read urban fantasy? I'll have to go with my own definition haha. I love Gemma Doyle from A Great and Terrible Beauty. She's loyal, stubborn, and constantly searching for the truth. She's a wonderful depiction of a teenager with a little magic thrown in.

4. Have you ever read books were you wish some evil character would go to over to the good guys side, if so which one?
Definitely Glenin Ambrai from the Exiles trilogy by Melanie Rawn. I always want her to be with her sisters. They'd be so much stronger together and her being on the evil side isn't because of who she is intrinsically. Maybe the third book in the trilogy will do something about it (if it ever comes out lol)

5. Is there a character on the good guys side that you want the author to get rid of?
Everyone from Twilight? Haha jk. Umm, probably Tonks from Harry Potter. I liked her character when she was introduced but then she got together with Lupin and it made me mad. (LOL I guess I kind of fished my wish with that one)

1) What fantasy character would you want to be in a romantic relationship with? Why?

2)Which fantasy world would you *never* want to visit? Why?

3)What book that you read as a child changed the most when you read it again as an adult?

message 27: by Tina (new)

Tina | 177 comments 1) What fantasy character would you want to be in a romantic relationship with? Why?

Tayse from Sharon Shinn's Twelve houses series. He's tall, dark, brooding, handsome, strong, a killer, and honorable to his toenails. And, actually, if I played for the other team, I'd go for Senneth his wife. i had such a girl crush on her reading those books!

2)Which fantasy world would you *never* want to visit? Why?

As much as I love reading about it, I'd probably not want to be a denizen of Ankh Morporkh. It just seems dirty.

3)What book that you read as a child changed the most when you read it again as an adult?

To Kill A Mockingbird. I loved this book when I read it when I was 13. When I read it as an adult, though, it didn't resonate as much. It seemed a little, I dunno, gee-gosh-darn, in it's earnestness? It is still written beautifully, but I didn't feel that little thrilling clunch in my chest that I expected to upon re-read.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Fantasy book you always recommend as a first read for a wet-behind-the ears fantasy newbie?

2) Favorite religious or theological system in a fantasy world?

3) I always think fantasy writers must have the best time coming up with names. Name your favorite fantasy name, doesn't matter if you like the character or not.

message 28: by Mach (last edited Jan 24, 2011 11:49AM) (new)

Mach | 572 comments 1. I started out with the Hobbit, so that's what i would recommend for someone that hasn't read much fantasy.

2. Lies of Locke Lamora, You get to see characters exploiting religion to make money (which they do in the real world too).

3. Kvothe from Name Of the Wind, it just sounds so powerful and elegant in the same time.

1) If you could choose 2 characters to save the world against Sauron. Characters from different books but not from LOTR. Who would you choose?

2) Would you be a time traveller, Telepathic or fly like Superman, which power would you pick?

3) If you could live in a fantasy world which one would you choose?

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 5387 comments 1) If you could choose 2 characters to save the world against Sauron. Characters from different books but not from LOTR. Who would you choose?

Paksenarrion and Harry Dresden :)

2) Would you be a time traveller, Telepathic or fly like Superman, which power would you pick?

Time travel

3) If you could live in a fantasy world which one would you choose?

Dresden, it's a contemporary world with the wonder we all think about.

---------------------------------------------------

1. Sword swinger, spell slingger, Spell singer (Bard, minstrel), Clerical magic (couldn't come up with a rhyme here, sorry.), Expert treasure hunter (Rogue type), Holy Warrior (paladin type), Ranger... which would you be? Do you see yourself in a fantasy setting as a harry Dresden or a Conan the Barbarian, maybe a Gray Mouser?

2. There are actually I suppose NO new stories, but in the fantasy realms which do you think is the most original world, character and story idea (from your own reading of course)?

3. Which traditional or Epic fantasy character would you like to see suddenly find him or herself in an urban fantasy setting? (We'll leave how they found themselves there for the writer...or possibly a later question :))

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Lol...Mike I totally could have called you picking Paksenarrion and Harry Dresden ;) Pleasantly predictable ;)

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 5387 comments Ahh, but did I ever claim not to be?????

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Lol...no sir

message 33: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 29, 2011 11:59PM) (new)

1)" Sword swinger, spell slingger, Spell singer (Bard, minstrel), Clerical magic (couldn't come up with a rhyme here, sorry.), Expert treasure hunter (Rogue type), Holy Warrior (paladin type), Ranger... which would you be? Do you see yourself in a fantasy setting as a harry Dresden or a Conan the Barbarian, maybe a Gray Mouser?

Sword Swinger hands down. I always found the idea of being a blademaster appealing. I'd definitely be in a dark fantasy setting. Something gritty. I'd want to be nobility tho...none of this starting off as a kitchen boy or farmer for me ;)

2)There are actually I suppose NO new stories, but in the fantasy realms which do you think is the most original world, character and story idea (from your own reading of course)?

Hmm, that's a tough one. I'd have to go with The War of the Flowers by Tad Williams. The main character is a washed up rocker that's pulled into a Fairyland where the ruling houses are based on types of freaking flowers. I suppose in the grand sense the storyline isn't all that original but I still thought it a nice turn from the typical hero turned badass with all the right answers (when it came out at least)

3)Which traditional or Epic fantasy character would you like to see suddenly find him or herself in an urban fantasy setting?

Hmm...I'd like to see Fool from The Tawny Man series in an Urban Fantasy novel. I think he would adjust in about 2.3 seconds and end up a rock star. Lady Gaga comes to mind.

Hmm...I think I'll actually try to interview people instead of sticking to the fantasy questions :)

1) What is the absolute funniest thing that you have ever personally witnessed or done?

2) What was your greatest moment in life outside of marriage, graduation or the birth of a child?

3) What's the meanest thing you ever did?(that you'll actually admit to)

message 34: by Katie (new)

Katie | 50 comments 1) What is the absolute funniest thing that you have ever personally witnessed or done?
When I was 18 I decided that I wanted to be baptized at my church. They specifically told us to wear bathing suits under the robes (which were white). Apparently the kid in front of me didn't remember that bit. My friend and I were going after him, waiting at the other end of the pool where the congregation couldn't see us. After his baptism, he stepped out of the pool and the robe just clung to his entire body. You could see *everything*. Fortunately for him he was hidden from the rest of the church, but my friend and I got an eyeful. We were in absolute hysterics and we had to go out and give our testimonies! I honestly don't even remember what I said bc I was concentrating so hard on not laughing. What made it even worse was that my pastor was trying not to laugh. I don't know how we all made it through without cracking up.

2) What was your greatest moment in life outside of marriage, graduation or the birth of a child?
Getting the lead in my school musical my senior year. I was Martha in The Secret Garden and I worked so hard to get that part. Performing in front of everyone was amazing.

3) What's the meanest thing you ever did?(that you'll actually admit to)
When I was 16 I was stuck on a train for three hours with my youth group. I'm slightly claustrophobic, the train was *packed* with people, so I lost my grip on the judgement portion of my brain. I slapped my best friend (he's a guy) across the face bc he kept really pushing my buttons and I told a relatively unpopular girl in youth group that no one liked her and that's why she was never invited to things. Not my proudest moment.
1) If you could have a first edition of any book what would it be and why?

2) If you had to move to another country which one would you pick and why?

3) What's the best restaurant you've ever been to?

message 35: by Mach (new)

Mach | 572 comments 1) If you could have a first edition of any book what would it be and why?

The Hobbit because it's just a great story.

2) If you had to move to another country which one would you pick and why?

Brasil because i love everything about it, the people, the culture and of course the weather.

3) What's the best restaurant you've ever been to?

I once were on a holiday to the island Kos in Greece and i went to an indian resturant there, i have never eaten so good food as i did on that resturant. I was in Kos for one week and ate at that resturant the last 4 days. Too bad i didn't discover it any sooner.
I know it's kind of weird that i ate Indian food in Greece, but i don't like greek food.

What's your favorite movie of all time?

If you could meet one actor (alive or dead) who would you meet?

Where have you had your best vacation?

message 36: by [deleted user] (last edited May 04, 2011 04:52PM) (new)

1) My favorite movie of all time is Forrest Gump. I have tons that tie for second (Braveheart, Boondock Saints, Shenandoah, Shawshank Redemption etc) but Forrest Gump has always topped my list.

2) Jimmy Stewart. Hands down my fav actor.

3) I spent a week in St Lucia a couple of years back. Stunning.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1) Whats the most frightened you've ever been? (as in scary movie scared as opposed to just worried about someone/ something)

2) What's your most prized personal possession?

3) What's one of your guilty pleasures?

message 37: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 940 comments 1. Walking across a plank bridge high in the Hawaiian mountain. Legs barely moved.
2. My computer
3. Rated G? Good chocolate.

-------------------------

1. What celebrity best describes you?
2. Are you a night owl or an early bird?
3. Would you trust yourself to be in charge of the button that discharges the nuclear bomb?

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 5387 comments 1. What celebrity best describes you?

I've never heard a celebrity describe me. Do you think I'm being searched for by one...or more?

How about an older heavier Nick Cage...with a gray beard and mustache?

2. Are you a night owl or an early bird?

Night owl...all my life.

3. Would you trust yourself to be in charge of the button that discharges the nuclear bomb?

Only in that I wouldn't trust anybody else!

----------------------------------------------------

1. What genres and/or subjects do you prefer to read about?

2. Do you have a favorite historical figure? One you identify with?

3. What's your best childhood memory?

message 39: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 31, 2011 05:56PM) (new)

1) I prefer to read about Fantasy of course! Actually 90% of all the novels I read these days are fantasy. I've read all the classics and pretty much focus solely on fantasy though I do branch out on occasion to Horror, Detective and anything historical in nature whether fiction or nonfiction. As far as subject matter I'm a huge WWII buff.

2) I strongly identify with Gen George S. Patton. He was no nonsense and despised the political system that held him in check. He wasn't politically correct like you find all too often these days. He even believed that he'd been reincarnated and had been present for every major battle throughout history. I dig him :)

3) Happiest memory is easy. This is actually from an old journal where I'm basically remembering my dad who died of lung and throat cancer back in 01.

"Towards the end of his life when disease had worn him down to a shell of his former self I'd wake up in the mornings and carry him to his recliner. I'd wash the flecks of blood out of his pillowcase as though his not seeing them would make us both believe they weren't really there. I remember when I went to my senior prom...I brought my date to the hospital so he could see us in all our splendor...he was on a respirator but he still managed to smile and give me a thumbs up. He didn't get to watch me graduate...he missed me walking and getting my diploma and throwing my cap in the air...but everyone loved my dad...a group of us went to the hospital so he could see us..so he could be a part. He gathered strength and lived for another year after that. A couple of months before he died, I remember waking up in bed to my dad's arm around me. He told me he loved me and he always would and how proud of me he was...to never, never forget that. The man could't walk from his bedroom down a thirty foot hall to make it his chair but somehow he'd managed to get himself to my room and crawl in bed with me." Hard to have a more visceral example that my dad loved me. Not everyone's that lucky. It's bittersweet but definitely my happiest childhood memory.

1. What is the most embarrassing thing you've ever done?

2. If you could have any member of Fantasy Aficianados be your personal slave for a day, who would it be and what would you have them do?
(Rated G folks...or at least no worse than PG13 :P)

3. What's your favorite scene in a fantasy novel and why? Be specific.

message 40: by Aloha (last edited Feb 01, 2011 03:41AM) (new)

Aloha | 940 comments 1. I had a sheer colorful gypsy skirt with a skirt lining. Once, the lining was tucked up in the waist, and I was not aware of it. I walked down the street in the bright sunshine, not aware that my skirt was completely see-through. I received a lot of whistles.

2. I would have Grant draw for me on the IPad one of his fantasy characters. I want to see how he managed it on the IPad. And singing while he's drawing.

3. I like the scene in the beginning of Dune that describes the Bene Gesserit sisterhood. The Bene Gesserits are intriguing to me because they are highly trained in mental conditioning and superior in cunning, but used it within the limiting role as wives and concubines to attain power. I'm fascinated by the multiple feminine roles in society, and how it has changed over time, in particular how as a woman, we incorporate societal expectations in the complexity of modern life.

----------------------

1. What is your favorite quote in a novel?
2. What is your favorite fantasy creature?
3. Who is the most intriguing character in a book and why?

message 41: by Tina (new)

Tina | 177 comments 1. What is your favorite quote in a novel?

"Some prices are just too high, no matter how much you may want the prize. The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart." Memory by Lois McMaster Bujold

2. What is your favorite fantasy creature?

Pernese dragon. First time I read Dragonflight, I wanted one. I could understand why the rejected nominees were upset.

3. Who is the most intriguing character in a book and why?

Miles Vorkosigan. Brilliant. Hyperactive. Funny. Neurotic. Brim full of honor. Lovelorn. Somehow he gleefully manages to suck people into his delusions. Great character.

---------------------------------------

1. Name the last truly indulgent, totally unnecessary thing you bought?

2. The first time I ___________ it made me ____________

3. least favorite book you read this last year and why?

message 42: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 940 comments 1. A lawyer...kidding, really needed that one. The lawyer sucked all my money so I can't remember what I bought that was indulgent. Oh, a beautiful shirt from a boutique that the guy I had a date with thought it would look great on me. He picked it out, so I didn't want to hurt his feelings and bought it, especially after raving about what great taste he has.

2. The first time I hiked in Yosemite, it made me happy for days.

3. The Passage. It was the most long-winded overly hyped book on vampires I have ever read.

-----------------------

1. In a Survivor food challenge, would you pick balut (formed chick egg), sweetmeat (brain part), or chicken feet?

2. In choices of how you're going to be tortured, would you rather have water constantly drip on your forehead, sit in a tank with insects, or be forced to stay awake for days?

3. Which Survivor challenge would you be most successful at, puzzle challenge, food challenge, or staying on the pole for the longest time challenge?

message 43: by Mach (new)

Mach | 572 comments 1. In a Survivor food challenge, would you pick balut (formed chick egg), sweetmeat (brain part), or chicken feet?

I would have picked balut because it doesn't sound as disgusting as sweetmeat or chicken feet.

2. In choices of how you're going to be tortured, would you rather have water constantly drip on your forehead, sit in a tank with insects, or be forced to stay awake for days?

Water on my forehead. I can't stand insects and i like sleeping :)

3. Which Survivor challenge would you be most successful at, puzzle challenge, food challenge, or staying on the pole for the longest time challenge?

Puzzle challenge, because im good at puzzles.

1. Favorite movie director (dead or alive)?

2. Favorite scifi book?

3. Best tv show?

message 44: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 940 comments 1. Akira Kurosawa
2. Dune
3. True Blood

----------------------

1. Grossest thing you've ever seen.
2. What is the grossest thing you're capable of?
3. What do you consider gross that most people probably would tolerate?

message 45: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 03, 2011 07:38PM) (new)

1. A man very blatantly taking a dump on a busy sidewalk in Paris. Disgusting city. Everyone just walked right past like it was an everyday thing.

2. Umm...eating insects? Well eating anything really. I have an iron stomach and I'm not the least bit squeamish.

3. I think popping pimples is disgusting. I know some very well put together people that seriously are fascinated by acne but I think that actually enjoying popping pimples is rather loathsome.

1. What's the most noble thing you've ever personally witnessed or been party to?

2. What do you think is the best quality in a person in general and why?

3. Someone makes it a point to personally insult you. Moreso, they blatantly and pointedly physically antagonize you, saying something demeaning while poking your forcefully in the chest. What do you do?

message 46: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 940 comments 1. Being part of a group of kids that hung out with the elderly in an old folks home.

2. Generosity. To be perceptive enough to give something of yourself that fits what the other person needs or wants, as opposed to foisting something on another person that you think they should need.

3. Depending on whether that person would be dangerous to my person. It's best to respond in a way that would defuse the situation and avoids a fight. Or to call the authority. But if that is unavoidable, then look that person right in the eye, whack that hand away, and tell that person firmly to lay off.

=================

1. What would you like to do on your birthday?
2. Who would be the attendees of your birthday party?
3. Where would you like to celebrate it?

message 47: by Katie (new)

Katie | 50 comments 1. What would you like to do on your birthday?
For my birthday this year I want to go to a Phillies game. They're my favorite sports team and I love the atmosphere at the ballpark. If there's no limits to this birthday, I would love to have seats right behind the dugout and to meet Chase Utley :)

2. Who would be the attendees of your birthday party?
I'd take my mom, dad, and my sister, who are huge Phillies fans. Plus, a few of my best friends who love the Phillies too

3. Where would you like to celebrate it?
Well, it would obviously be at Citizen's Bank Park :)

1) Do you have a fiery temper or a long fuse? What do you think made you that way?

2) What was your favorite television show when you were growing up and why?

3) If you could only have one type of pet for the rest of your life what would it be and why?

message 48: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 940 comments 1. A long fuse. My mom has a very short fuse, so it is best that I have a long fuse. I don't want to cross my mom. She is one mean woman. I tend to hold it in for a long time, and can explode if pushed just right, or during PMS.

2. Gilligan's Island. I love the idea of being a primitive on a tropical island. I especially love Gilligan's all purpose bicycle, or when the professor helps to come up with weird usable gadgets.

3. A couple of wolves since they need to be in a pack. I love big, loyal, hugable animals. Sounds like my taste in guys, too. LOL

====================

1. When do you feel most low-spirited?

2. When are you happiest?

3. Would your mood most likely change or remain the same throughout the day?

message 49: by Bill (new)

Bill (billymac) | 20 comments 1. When I have to go to a social function that I have no desire to attend. I'm grumpy for days leading up to it (even though 9 times out of 10 I end up having an okay time).

2. Either while playing hockey or jamming.

3. My mood swings during the day.

-----------------------------------------------------

1) Have you had a cold yet this winter?

2) How much water do you drink per day?

3) What are your plans for tonight?

message 50: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 940 comments 1. Nope. I would feel a slight something then it would go away. My body must have encountered it before and beat it before it could turn into anything. Good immune system.

2. Not sure, but not the recommended 8 glasses. I haven't sweated much this winter since my workout's changed. Walking and yoga doesn't make me break out in a sweat.

3. Printing out more statements for the lawyer and working on a newsletter. Daughter going to have dinner with her daddy. She gets wined and dined more than I do. I get her left overs.

--------------------

1. Which forum is your favorite one to lurk in?
2. Which forum do you contribute to the most?
3. Which forum are you still a member of that you never look at or contribute to?

« previous 1 3