We Love Lisa Kleypas discussion

Archives - Challenges > October's Build Your Own Challenge - PNR Edition

Comments Showing 1-50 of 174 (174 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (last edited Sep 29, 2010 09:31PM) (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments October’s Build Your Own Challenge – Paranormal edition.

For this challenge, you can choose what you want to read, but the books must be from the paranormal genre and do not have to be romantic. You decide how to make it challenging – this is your baby, make it work for you!

Examples:

Read 1 book from each of the following subgenres: Vampire, Werewolf/Shifter, Ghost, Demon, Witch, etc.
Begin a new paranormal series and read x number of books.
Finish or catch up on a series you’ve already started.
Spell Paranormal or Vampire, Witch, Ghost, etc.
Or whatever you can come up with!

The duration of this challenge is October 1st-31st. You can post your choices early and make changes to the list but changes cannot be made after October 1st.

We’d love to have you join us and, as always, if you have any questions – just holler. But not too loudly. **says in spookiest voice** You wouldn’t want to wake the dead now, would you? Muahahhahhaha

Alright, alright - you can stop groaning now!!!

message 2: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (last edited Nov 01, 2010 02:59PM) (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Participant's Thread

Alycia----------4/4 - - - Completed!!!!!!!!
Dhestiny----------7/7 - - - Completed!!!!
Suzanne----------10/10 - - Completed!!!
Christine S.-----------------9/9 - - - Completed!!!
Miss Kate-------------5/5 - - - Completed!!!
Miss Kate Bonus Round-----------2/2 - - - Completed!!!
Danielle--------- 10/10 - - - Completed!!!
Carolyn---------------16/16 - - - Completed!!!!
Becky---------3/5
Nissie------------------3/6
Mandy-----------1/5
Lori--------------------1/3
Meme

Mollie *scoutrmom* (scoutrmom) | 170 comments This might fit in well with a horror self-designed challenge I'm participating in on another site. I'll wait until its rules are revealed before deciding whether or not to commit to this one. I don't usually like challenges where I can't make changes during the course of the challenge.

message 4: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments I understand how you feel, trust me. I'm struggling to make it through MY OWN Build Your Own for September. **sigh**

message 5: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (last edited Sep 13, 2010 05:39PM) (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Oh, and the October's other Build Your Own - No Restrictions - can still be PNR if you choose, and it can be changed right up til the last day of the challenge.

message 6: by Alycia (new)

Alycia | 1478 comments I'm in Dhes. Question, if they are HR but have witches etc, will those still count? For example, The Marriage Spell: A Novel or Uncertain Magic

message 7: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Yes, time period doesn't matter!

Glad to have you with us :)

message 8: by Alycia (new)

Alycia | 1478 comments UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Yes, time period doesn't matter!

Glad to have you with us :)"

Thanks! I have books I need to clear off my shelf.

message 9: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Alycia wrote: "Thanks! I have books I need to clear off my shelf. "

Don't we all? LOL

message 10: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (last edited Sep 13, 2010 06:46PM) (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments I'll be reading 1 book from my Already Own shelves in each of the following categories:

1. Demons - Pleasure Unbound
2. Vampires - Dark Slayer
3. Ghosts - Unholy Ghosts
4. Shifters - Pride Mates
5. Dragons - Dragon Actually
6. Witches - A Witch's Beauty

And if I have time I'll also read:

7. Monsters - Frankenstein
8. Zombies - Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

I'll be reading these same books for the Build Your Own Challenge No-Restrictions Edition

Pleasure Unbound (Demonica, #1) by Larissa Ione Dark Slayer (Carpathians, #20) by Christine Feehan Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #1) by Stacia Kane Pride Mates (Shifters Unbound, #1) by Jennifer Ashley Dragon Actually (Dragon Kin, #1) by G.A. Aiken A Witch's Beauty (Daughters of Arianne, #2) by Joey W. Hill Frankenstein by Mary Shelley Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith

message 11: by Kate (new)

Kate (literarykate) | 95 comments October's Build Your Own Challenge- Paranormal Edition

Duration: October 1st-31st

Read the first book in five new series

1. Soulless
2. Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs
3. Kiss of the Rose: The Tudor Vampire Chronicles
4. Dark Lover
5. How To Marry a Millionaire Vampire

Soulless (The Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail Carriger Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs (Jane Jameson, #1) by Molly Harper Kiss of the Rose The Tudor Vampire Chronicles by Kate Pearce Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward How To Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1) by Kerrelyn Sparks

message 12: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (last edited Sep 13, 2010 07:38PM) (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Great lists, Alycia and Kate!!!

Kate I read and really liked Kiss of the Rose, though not everyone did.

And WOOOOHOOOO for starting The Black Dagger Brotherhood!!! Wow! I LOVE that series!

message 13: by Kate (new)

Kate (literarykate) | 95 comments Thanks! I think I'm going to have to order Kiss of the Rose. I can't find it anywhere. I've been meaning to try the BDB series and figured this would be the perfect time.

message 14: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Many people think book 1 is the weakest of the series, and I would have to agree, but I still found it to be amazing. My husband, who takes a solid month to read 1 book has devoured these. He's on the most recent book, Lover Mine #8, and it's only been a couple of months. And they are long books.

message 15: by Alycia (new)

Alycia | 1478 comments UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Great lists, Alycia and Kate!!!

Kate I read and really liked Kiss of the Rose, though not everyone did.

And WOOOOHOOOO for starting The Black Dagger BrotherhooWow! I LOVE that series!"

thanks! You have a wide variety as well. Can't wait to hear what you think of pleasure unbound.

message 16: by Alycia (new)

Alycia | 1478 comments Kate wrote: "October's Build Your Own Challenge- Paranormal Edition

Read the first book in five new se
2. Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs
..."

Kate, I loved Souless and the entire Jane Jameson series by Molly Harper

message 17: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Alycia, I read it like... 2 or 3 years ago and I don't remember much about it. So this is a re-read that will seem like a first read.

message 18: by Kate (new)

Kate (literarykate) | 95 comments Alycia, I'm so excited to read Soulless. I bought it last month but hadn't gotten the chance to read it.

message 19: by Alycia (new)

Alycia | 1478 comments UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Alycia, I read it like... 2 or 3 years ago and I don't remember much about it. So this is a re-read that will seem like a first read."

I understand. When I read a lot I forget thing about books I just read.

message 20: by Alycia (new)

Alycia | 1478 comments Kate wrote: "Alycia, I'm so excited to read Soulless. I bought it last month but hadn't gotten the chance to read it."

You are in for a treat. It's a nice change from your average paranormal story. Let me know what you think if it and the Molly Harper book

message 21: by Kate (new)

Kate (literarykate) | 95 comments I definitely will. I just recently got into the paranormal books starting with the Sookie Stackhouse series.

message 22: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Alycia, what's the heat index of the Parasol Protectorate?

♡Meme♡Reads love♡ | 6 comments I'm going to read Jeaniene Frosts series for my October challenge
I've already read book 1 of the Night Huntress just got 3 to catch up

One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2) by Jeaniene Frost At Grave's End (Night Huntress, #3) by Jeaniene Frost Destined for an Early Grave (Night Huntress, #4) by Jeaniene Frost

message 24: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Hi Meme! Thanks for joining us!

message 25: by Alycia (new)

Alycia | 1478 comments UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Alycia, what's the heat index of the Parasol Protectorate?"

It's urban fantasy with steam punk and a bit of romance. I believe there is only one maybe two love scenes, so not very hot but an entertaining story set in the Victorian period.

message 26: by Alycia (new)

Alycia | 1478 comments Kate wrote: "I definitely will. I just recently got into the paranormal books starting with the Sookie Stackhouse series."

That was my first series after twilight. Then I jumped to the BDB series and the rest is history. I don't read as much pnr/uf but I still love to read it for a change of pace and am a loyal reader to some authors.

message 27: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Thanks!!!

message 28: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments For my October PNR Build Your Own Challenge, I'm going to do my October Scare Fest.

Danielle's 3rd Annual October Scare Fest
Duration: October 1-October 31st
Reading Selections

Unnatural Selection by Tim Lebbon
The Nightmare and Other Tales of Dark Fantasy by Francis Stevens
Tales from a Gaslit Graveyard by Hugh Lamb
Bone Song by John Meaney
Bonechiller by Graham McNamee
The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson
The Canterville Ghost by Oscar Wilde
Hex and the City by Simon R. Green

message 29: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 338 comments I'm in - I'll post later.

message 30: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Looks like a great list, Danielle! Thanks for joining in :)

Carolyn, you're in! Glad to have you with us :)

message 31: by Christine (Cagnes) (last edited Oct 31, 2010 09:28AM) (new)

Christine (Cagnes) (cagnes) | 223 comments October's Build Your Own Challenge- Paranormal Edition

8 Complete

Begin a new paranormal series by a new author

Soulless by Gail Carriger (10/9)
Changeless by Gail Carriger (10/12)
Blameless by Gail Carriger (10/13)

The Stone Prince by Gena Showalter (10/22)

Finish or catch up on a series you’ve already started.
(I'm already working through Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark-Hunter series, so I'll try to read as many as I can & add as I go.)

Night Play by Sherrilyn Kenyon (10/5)
Phantom Lover by Sherrilyn Kenyon (10/7)
Seize the Nightby Sherrilyn Kenyon (10/19)
Winter Bornby Sherrilyn Kenyon (10/19)

Soulless (The Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail Carriger Changeless (The Parasol Protectorate, #2) by Gail Carriger Blameless (The Parasol Protectorate, #3) by Gail Carriger The Stone Prince  by Gena Showalter Night Play (Dark-Hunter, #5) (Were-Hunter, #2) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Phantom Lover (Dark-Hunter Novella, #2.1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Seize the Night (Dark-Hunter, #6) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Winter Born (Dark-Hunter Novella, #5.1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon

message 32: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Christine, My daughter LOVES the PP series.

message 33: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Glover | 576 comments Okay, I'll do this one too!

I've really been wanting to try out the Stacia Kane series. Now's as good a time as any!!

1. Begin a new paranormal series by a new author
Stacia Kane
Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #1) by Stacia Kane
Unholy Magic (Downside Ghosts, #2) by Stacia Kane
City of Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #3) by Stacia Kane

2. Begin a new paranormal series by an already read author.
Sherrilyn Kenyon
Blood Trinity (Belador, #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon
Infinity (Chronicles of Nick, #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon (this one is sorta iffy as a "new" series bc it ties in with the DH series) but it's my challenge right?? LOL!

3. Read any paranormals from my TBR pile.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) | 630 comments I am in, just need to come up with something and search to see what I have!

Christine (Cagnes) (cagnes) | 223 comments UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Christine, My daughter LOVES the PP series."

Good to hear! Have you read them?

message 36: by Becky (last edited Sep 27, 2010 11:55AM) (new)

Becky (beckysbusyreading) | 320 comments I am posting a rough list and will edit before October 1st.

Read the next book of a series I am currently reading:
Veil of Midnight by Lara Adrian
Demon from the Dark by Kresley Cole

New Series I want to try:
How To Marry a Millionaire Vampire by Kerrelyn Sparks
Undead and Unwed by MaryJanice Davidson
The Darkest Night by Gena Showalter

Veil of Midnight (Midnight Breed, #5) by Lara Adrian Demon from the Dark (Immortals After Dark, #10) by Kresley Cole How To Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1) by Kerrelyn Sparks Undead and Unwed (Undead, #1) by MaryJanice Davidson The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld, #1) by Gena Showalter

Completed 0/5

message 37: by Alycia (last edited Sep 28, 2010 02:27PM) (new)

Alycia | 1478 comments I already read one of my books, and ordered some more that will work.

New List- read at least 4 of any of the following
Penelope & Prince Charming (Nvengaria, #1) by Jennifer Ashley The Marriage Spell A Novel by Mary Jo Putney Friday Night Bites (Chicagoland Vampires, #2) by Chloe Neill A Mermaid's Kiss (Daughters of Arianne, #1) by Joey W. Hill A Witch's Beauty (Daughters of Arianne, #2) by Joey W. Hill A Mermaid's Ransom (Daughters of Arianne, #3) by Joey W. Hill Velvet Haven (Annwyn Chronicles, #1) by Sophie Renwick Wild by Maya Banks Uncertain Magic by Laura Kinsale

message 38: by Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) (last edited Sep 23, 2010 08:23AM) (new)

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) | 630 comments I am going to simplify this one for myself, so my challenge is to:

October Build Your Own Challange PNR Edition

Read 10 Paranormal Romances:

0/10 Complete

1:
2:
3:
4:
5:
6:
7:
8:
9:
10:

message 39: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments October Build Your Own Challenge - PNR Edition. I'm making this a genre challenge and I’ll read 5 or more of the following books:

Demons - Pleasure Unbound
Zombies - Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
Vampires - Dark Slayer
Witches- A Witch's Beauty
Ghosts - Unholy Ghosts
Dragons – Dragon Actually
Shifters - Pride Mates
Monsters - Frankenstein

Dragon Actually (Dragon Kin, #1) by G.A. Aiken Pleasure Unbound (Demonica, #1) by Larissa Ione Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith Dark Slayer (Carpathians, #20) by Christine Feehan A Witch's Beauty (Daughters of Arianne, #2) by Joey W. Hill Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #1) by Stacia Kane Pride Mates (Shifters Unbound, #1) by Jennifer Ashley Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

message 40: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (last edited Sep 27, 2010 01:46PM) (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Ladies, if you want to make your October Build Your Own Challenge - PNR Edition challenge a Spell October challenge, please do it in this thread. Starting in November there will be a separate thread for the Spell the Month challenges. I'm sorry for any confusion

message 41: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Christine, I haven't read the Parasol Protectorate... yet :)

message 42: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Alycia wrote: "I already read one of my books, and ordered some more that will work.

Penelope & Prince Charming (Nvengaria, #1) by Jennifer Ashley[bookcover:The Marriage Spell:..."

I have the Penelope and Prince Charming book. How is it PNR? I might switch out one of my other choices.

message 43: by Alycia (new)

Alycia | 1478 comments UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Alycia wrote: "I already read one of my books, and ordered some more that will work.

Penelope & Prince Charming (Nvengaria, #1) by Jennifer Ashley[bookcover:The ..."

There's magic and rituals. I can't recall if there was anything else.

message 44: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Ah, ok. So it is like witchcraft then or magicians? I think I'll add it, just in case.

message 45: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (last edited Sep 27, 2010 02:02PM) (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Ladies, please check out the Coming Soon to a Challenge Near You! thread :)

message 46: by Alycia (new)

Alycia | 1478 comments UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Ah, ok. So it is like witchcraft then or magicians? I think I'll add it, just in case."

I haven't read it. But definitely magic. So I am thinking maybe witches.

message 47: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Ok, thank you!

message 48: by Alycia (new)

Alycia | 1478 comments You are welcome.

message 49: by Kate (new)

Kate Reads (misskatereads) I'm thinkin' this in conjunction with my five for the other for the other "October" challenge. Some can overlap but I do want to read at least 7 books. This month will be busy so I probably can't do more than that.

These will more than likely be on my list

1. Mind Game
2. Torment
3. Witch Dreams
4. The Lost Hero

message 50: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments I really like the Ghostwalker series.

« previous 1 3 4