This is not The Haters Club You're Looking For discussion

I think I'm annoyed...how can I tell?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments I got this email and I'm sort of annoyed. But I'm not sure why. So maybe I'm more conflicted than annoyed.

"Dear CES parents:
As you may know President Obama is addressing the nation’s school children tomorrow. We will be showing his address school wide beginning at 3:00 tomorrow afternoon. If you would prefer your child to not take part in this, another alternative learning environment will be provided. Please call the main office at 703-502-3500 to let us know that you prefer your child not to take part. Please give us your child’s full name, teacher and grade level. Otherwise they will be included and will listen to the President’s message.
Thank you and we appreciate your support of our children and our school."

Why do we have to provide and alternate learning environment? Couldn't we just be aware of what our children are hearing in school and then discuss it with them? Maybe you think Obama is a shitty president. Does that mean your children shouldn't hear him speak to them? But on the other hand choice is good and public school should be there for everyone from all walks of life, religions, political views, ect. So I don't know. Help me out haters.

(I get annoyed when I get the choice to opt my kid out of sex ed, too.)

message 2: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Don't ask me, if I had kids I'd home school them...

message 3: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) I'm a moderate Republican Christian who went through the public school system and voted for Obama...I'd still home school them.

message 4: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments Gretchen, the reason you feel annoyed is because it shouldn't be a choice. We don't get to choose other aspects of the curriculum. So why is there a choice given in this case? I didn't get a note saying the teacher is going to be reading Junie B. Jones aloud to my child. Personally, I think Junie B. Jones is an insolent brat* and I can't stand to read those books because they make me want to send her to her room. But that doesn't mean I should opt my child out. I'm not going to send an email to the principal saying "I want to opt my child out of classroom activities involving Junie B. Jones. Please provide her an alternate learning experience during that time." In fact, it's worse. Because this is the President of the US speaking directly to American school children with a message just for them. I have no idea what the idea of Junie B. Jones is. For all I know those books were written purely to irritate me. Or perhaps to make the author some money. I don't know. But either way I'd rather my daughter read it and then we can discuss why I think Junie B. Jones is impudent. In fact, my daughter disagrees with me. She thinks she's hilarious. That's OK. I don't love Justin Bieber either.

Oh the other hand, it's hard to say no to choices. So that's probably why you're feeling conflicted.

*I should admit that I've actually only read a couple pages of one chapter of a Junie B. Jones book.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

You'll have to blame all the parents who FREAKED THE F*CK OUT, making national news, when schools (including mine) showed his first address/acceptance speech to the nation after his election. The parents claimed that we were pushing our political agenda on their kids and mindwashing them. They got hella pissed, Gretchen. One parent at our school said, "HOW DARE YOU?" to one of our teachers.

They obviously voted for McCain.

message 6: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments Sometimes people make me want to puke.

message 7: by Rusty (last edited Aug 02, 2013 05:54AM) (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 2198 comments I think it's pretty silly to allow kids to opt out of an address directed to them.

message 8: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments I'm talking to myself because this thread had 1 post and 14 views so I figured everyone read it and had nothing to say. So I answered myself. But Amelia was posting at the same time so really someone did have something to say.

message 9: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments I can't get what people wouldn't want their kids to hear. Its not as if he said "pssst. Go tell your parents to vote Democrat."

message 10: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 2198 comments BunWat wrote: "I thought Bush II was an awful awful, fall down and cry at how awful I thought he was President. But he was still the damn President, of my country, elected and sworn in.* I wasn't going to ignor..."

I think it's important to respect the office. Attending school in MD, my son developed a healthy respect for Obama, by osmosis. I haven't told him how unimpressed I am, because I don't think he knows how to differentiate between man and office.

message 11: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 2198 comments If you ask me this practice also ingrains the partisan, "us and them" mentality. Which we really don't need to perpetuate any more than we already have.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Word.

message 13: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments Rusty! Agree! Like! More us. I agree with you. Are they gonna pull your card? Jk.

message 14: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments Me: Did you watch the President on TV today at school?
Daughter: Yeah.
Me: What did he say?
Daughter: ummm. I forget.
Me: Really? You can't remember one thing he said?
Daughter: ummmmm. Oh! He said respect others.

message 15: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Smetch, I'm pretty sure that's as much as most kids would get out of it.

Bun, I am a registered Republican. I was less than impressed with Bush II. I voted for Obama. I am less than impressed with him too. I think Hillary would have done a better job. I tend to vote for the person, not the party. So far, since I was old enough to care, there hasn't been a person in that office that was terribly impressive. I do agree that you respect the office, even if you're not crazy about the person though.

message 16: by smetchie (last edited Sep 15, 2010 08:45AM) (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments So would you have opted your kids out of seeing the address, Amelia? (assuming you didn't home school them)

message 17: by Meels (last edited Sep 15, 2010 09:36AM) (new)

Meels (amelia) No. Nor would I opt them out of any learning experience. I wouldn't opt them out of studying evolution in science or other religions. (In England they have Religious Education / R.E. classes right up through middle school, same as Math and English. They study all sorts of religions, the holocaust, creation and evolution. I think that's great!)

message 18: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Knowledge does not corrupt.

Ever thinking that you know all there is to know and you are 100% right...does.