Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Let's Talk About: Characters > The Most annoying Character

Comments Showing 1-50 of 96 (96 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sashana (last edited Sep 11, 2010 04:31PM) (new)

Sashana Who is the most annoying character you have ever read about? It could be the leading protagonist or just some random person with a one-liner.

I’m sure I have quite a few annoying characters but the one that stands out the most at the moment is Libby Mason from Mr. Maybe . She definitely had her likeable moments but for the most part I wish I could just jump into the book and slap her. She kept on complaining about not having a rich boyfriend or husband on EVERY SINGLE PAGE of the book. I know the author wanted women to relate to her and I’m sure that many women did-but she just came off as a gold digger to me.

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather | 504 comments Oh this is a good thread. I will go put on my thinking cap and get back to ya..

message 3: by Sans (new)

Sans I'm going to nominate Lydia Bennett from Pride & Prejudice. I have several more but I'm going to have to wait for the tequila to wear off to actually be able to type them out.

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather | 504 comments OK, yep, that's a good one! She pissed me off so much! I'm still thinking..

message 5: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Rachel from Something Borrowed really irks me. I know a lot of people like this book and it’s being made into a movie but I think people are over looking something major.

Rachel has a perfect best friend: she’s prettier, has a better career, stole her grade school crushes and is an all around bad friend-that's what she complains about throughout the book. Erm, hello! You’re sleeping with your BEST friend’s fiancé! I don’t care if you BFF is the biggest [insert B word here] you’re sleeping with your best friends fiancé! Who’s the bad friend now?

message 6: by Samantha (last edited Sep 12, 2010 11:26AM) (new)

Samantha | 106 comments I've lots of but the first character that I think easily is Zoey from HON because I hate her ok the main character is her but come on! she acting like a innocent pretty little girl who loves her grandma and hates her step dad at first but then she started to acting like a well I dont wanna write it but you can understand.... she was famous with her virginity then she gave it a man who is not her boyfriend and that time she had two boyfriend already! god I wanna burned the book then she keep going to date with boyfriends then she got one other then she falling love with the Kalona aaaaaaaa where is the innocent pretty little girl? and everyone think Afrodit is a the word I dont wanna write but I think she is not, Zoey is... and Heath dead just because of her cause she is a stupid!!!!I wanna write lots of thing but its ok I think....and if I keep going to write I cant stop myself!

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) Okay I think Bella from Twilight is probably the most annoying character I have ever read *ducks* Sorry, she was just too whinney for me!

Also Rhapsody from Rhapsody: Child of Blood, but then I think that might just be that I hated the whol series, but her annoying cgaracter definately helped!

And then lastly Anita Blake from the Anita Blake series, she is just so irritating!

Phew okay moaning over, I think I am quite tolerant in general but those characters just really managed to annoy me!

message 8: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 106 comments well if I didnt read HON and meet Zoey I can write Bella's name so I can understand you Suzanne I was full of hatred when I was reading especially eclipse...I hate when the female character is stupid and weak and ı hate love triangles!

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) It was New Moon that did me in, I just got so annoyed, and as for the love triangle well that was just pathetic, it wasn't much of a love triangle as you knew exactly who she was going to go with, I was actually reading Eclipse shouting for Jacob to get some pride and maybe a back bone! As for Bella, well I can rant on and on for ages lol (For all the Twilight fans out there, please don't hurt me!)

message 10: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Samantha, I agree with you about Zoey. She had way too many guys in her life. I mean ,2 guys fighting over you are enough but she had like 4 or 5. Innocent little girl she is not.

message 11: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 106 comments Lol! Suzanne my friends love (except my bestfriend my big sis.) Twilight with a huge passion I dont understand them I didnt wacth Eclipse yet because I hate Eclipse ok! and they always trying to hurt me with her words lol! I dont care we didnt like it but they like it so what?!:) I'm thinking just like you:)

Sashana, omg this series looking like undone:) lol! I was thinking it can be 6/7 books but 12 books! lol I think PC Cast should write a lot because of Zoey and her boyfriends....

message 12: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I lost all love for PC Cast just for writing that book. Not sure that I would like or read anything that he/she wrote.

I really wanted to slap Bella in Eclipse because she was being so selfish. One minute she was running to Jacob and the next to Edward.

message 13: by Sans (new)

Sans My writing partner keeps holding Zoey up as a prime example of What Not To Do With Your Female Lead. I read the first few chapters of the first book and that was enough for me.

message 14: by Sashana (new)

Sashana She was likeable in the first book to me, but as the series continued her character got worse.

message 15: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 106 comments yes Sashan I liked Zoey at first book but then mmm.. well I didnt like it anymore and started to hating her much more and more....:/ and at first I hate Afrodit but at the last book I've read(7th) I really liked it and woaw I'm keep reading just because of her and Stevie Rae:/

message 16: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I didn't get that far and I don't plan to. What time is it over there, Samantha?

message 17: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 106 comments wel lol' I was tuoght series will end at the 7 or 8 but the truth is 12!!!!!!!!!!ahhh!!! I've to read 5 more book ughhh!!!!:( 5 more book and Zoey I wish she dead in 7th book but no she is alive of course :/

message 18: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Haha good luck reading it, I hope it gets better.

message 19: by ~~*Julie (new)

~~*Julie Kawalec-pearson (jewl) | 43 comments so in the movie-- Bella Swan is the most irritating person ever! I could stand her in the books okay.

I agree Zoey is super irritating. The las book would have been okay if the authors werent trying so hard to sound "hip and Teenishh" I don't know why I keep reading the series. I guess I would feel like I failed ifI don't finish the series---

message 20: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Julie, don't even get me started on the Twilight movies! I can act waaayyyy better than everyone in that movie.

How many books did you read in the series, Julie?

message 21: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 106 comments yes Julie I'm agree wit you completely because I cant leave when I'm startind a serie ughh I wanna coul leave it but I cant...
and Sashana, well tahnks but the last book was really good except Zoey and the book formed by parts so it becasem easy to read:)and I read a different book when I'm readins HON because it became easy to read HON too and mostly the other book is HR:)lol!

message 22: by Sashana (new)

Sashana 99% the time I try to finish the series that I start. Doesn't always happen though. If the HON series only had 4 or 5 books then I would have finished it but I can't read 12 books that I hate.

message 23: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 106 comments yes but it's just like a responsibility for me IDK but when I started a series I cant leave it like or not...

message 24: by Heather (new)

Heather | 504 comments OK, OK, I agree, Zoey was very annoying. And at times, Bella and Jacob! His annoying way of talking down to Bella, but then again, OK, I see why..

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) I am glad I am not the only one who thinks Bella (for in fact the whole cast of characters in Twilight) is annoying!

I haven't read the PC Cast books, I think I might have to avoid them!

message 26: by Heather (new)

Heather | 504 comments Suzanne, I will forgive you for dissing Edward cause we all have to be nice on the list..

I do recommend the PC Cast books but I would go to the library and don't spend your hard earned $$ on it.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) I am not a big lover of YA romance, so I am bias against them already, I think I will probably give them a miss, the last one I tried to read was Wicked Lovely which everyone raves about, I just couldn't get past the first 100 pages.

Lol, I will try not to bully Edward : )

message 28: by Heather (new)

Heather | 504 comments OK, I totally appreciate the favor Suzanne not to bully Edward, heh-heh..

I understand about YA, now have you tried The Hunger Games??

message 29: by ~~*Julie (new)

~~*Julie Kawalec-pearson (jewl) | 43 comments Sashana wrote: "Julie, don't even get me started on the Twilight movies! I can act waaayyyy better than everyone in that movie.

How many books did you read in the series, Julie?"
I did love all the twilight books but they were not the most wonderful books ever but they were good. I have read all of the hon books but dontbask me why because they really are not good.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) Yep, I LOVED The Hunger Game! I pretty much sobbed my way through them!

message 31: by ~~*Julie (new)

~~*Julie Kawalec-pearson (jewl) | 43 comments I love the huger games... that is one you really need to pick up also the mortal instruments were good.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) Were you for Peeta or Gale?

message 33: by Leah (new)

Leah (leahkarge) I agree about Zoey from HON. She kept getting more annoying as I read the books. I thought Burned was extraordinarily horrible, and by the end of the book I only liked two characters. But I'm like you guys, once I start a series, I have to finish it. Suzanne, definitely avoid them.

Suzanne, you already know how I feel about Bella, but I definitely agree that she was annoying, too. And Edward. And Jacob after a while, although I definitely prefer him to Edward.

message 34: by Leah (new)

Leah (leahkarge) I agree about Zoey from HON. She kept getting more annoying as I read the books. I thought Burned was extraordinarily horrible, and by the end of the book I only liked two characters. But I'm like you guys, once I start a series, I have to finish it. Suzanne, definitely avoid them.

Suzanne, you already know how I feel about Bella, but I definitely agree that she was annoying, too. And Edward. And Jacob after a while, although I definitely prefer him to Edward. (Suzanne, I totally support you in your Edward bullying! LOL ;P)

PEETA! I loved the first two Hunger Games book and I have Mockingjay and I have to read it soon! :D

message 35: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I'm team Gabe and if Katniss picks Peeta (which I have a gut feeling she will) I will throw a temper tantrum even though I'm way too old to be doing that.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) I won't saying anything as I have read Mockingjay, but *does excited dance* t was sooooooo good, you should start reading it straight away!

LOL, I am so with you Leah, hehe you know exactly how I feel about Twilight and Bella and Edward and Jacob as you have to listen to me rant : )

message 37: by Sashana (new)

Sashana And the whole thing with Jacob and Bella's daughter is just weird. I don't care how Stephanie Meyers puts it: How would you feel if your mom dated (and made out with) your boyfriend?

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) LOL, exactly! Can you imagine them sat down comparing notes lol And does the name Renesmee bug anyone else?

message 39: by Sashana (new)

Sashana It doesn't bother me, but I sure can't pronounce it.

Have you read anything else by Stephenie Meyer besides the Twilight series, Suzanne?

message 40: by ~~*Julie (new)

~~*Julie Kawalec-pearson (jewl) | 43 comments Sashana wrote: "And the whole thing with Jacob and Bella's daughter is just weird. I don't care how Stephanie Meyers puts it: How would you feel if your mom dated (and made out with) your boyfriend

Haha. Lol

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) No, has she written anything unrelated to Twilight?

message 42: by ~~*Julie (new)

~~*Julie Kawalec-pearson (jewl) | 43 comments Suzanne wrote: "LOL, exactly! Can you imagine them sat down comparing notes lol And does the name Renesmee bug anyone else?"

Yes the name bugged me...very teengae pregnant mom though so I guess It fits! By the way I can say that cause I was a teen mom... my kids have regular names though

message 43: by Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) (last edited Sep 13, 2010 02:34PM) (new)

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) Oh yeah The Host! I tried reading that but I didn't like it, I found them all rather annoying, especially Wanda

I sound so miserable! I am not normally I think that I just don't enjoy her style, it is too I dunno too something which I find annoying!

message 44: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Lol, no everyone has an author that puts them off, yours is Stephenie Meyer, mine happens to be PC Cast.

I asked because I have some of her other books on my TBR list.

message 45: by Leah (new)

Leah (leahkarge) Yes, Suzanne, I know how much you dislike all of them because I have to listen to you rant, but you know I thoroughly enjoy the ranting, LOL.

Sashana, I agree about the imprinting thing with Renesmee. That was weird. One minute he was "in love" with Bella, the next he's imprinting on her daughter. Who was like two minutes old! Eww! And that image of Bella and Renesmee comparing notes made me giggle. LOL

The Host was bad, Suzanne? I own it but I haven't read it yet...

message 46: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I enjoy the ranting too :)

message 47: by ~~*Julie (new)

~~*Julie Kawalec-pearson (jewl) | 43 comments Suzanne wrote: "Were you for Peeta or Gale?"

Gale.....

message 48: by Leah (new)

Leah (leahkarge) Sashana wrote: "I enjoy the ranting too :)"

Who doesn't? LOL ;P

Another annoying character for me was Jennifer Merrick in A Kingdom of Dreams. She was just horrible and I wanted her taken out until the very end of the book! I hate when that happens.

message 49: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Why was she annoying?

message 50: by Leah (new)

Leah (leahkarge) I'm not exactly sure why she was annoying. It was just everything about her. And the fact that she made everything, and I mean everything, the hero's fault. I mean, it took me until page 330 to start liking her a bit and then she went and ruined it for me by making me hate her again. So I didn't actually like her until about the last 50ish pages.

« previous 1