Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Archive (general & ongoing) > Game: Find that sentence!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Sep 11, 2010 05:46AM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Except for the title, this is similar to a game(The Book Excerpt Game) I found in a group called Gigi's company.

The idea is to post a sentence that fits the instructions of the previous poster from a book that you are currently reading.

Be sure to share the name of the book where you got the sentence from.

Then be sure to leave instructions for the next person.

EX:
First post: Turn to page 100, post the last sentence on the page.

message 2: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments "What they don't take well, I'm afraid, is callousness."

From Lisa Kleypas'
Mine Till Midnight (Hathaway Series #1) by Lisa Kleypas

Next post: Turn to page 45, post the 10th sentence from the top.

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (jim_formerly_photojim) | 5294 comments "Balancing on the porcelain lip of the claw-footed tub, she peeped out the window, which offered a partial view of the pool." Star Island by Carl Hiaasen.

Post the first sentence uttered by the hero after he see's the heroine for the first time. (if that is too difficult or your book has no strictly defined hero/heroine then post the first sentence of the second paragraph on page one hundred and nine.)

message 4: by KimKirt (new)

KimKirt | 1638 comments "What do you want?" he rasped, his voice low and husky as if from disuse or strain. His accent was cultured, but the tone was far from welcoming.

To Beguile a Beast by Elizabeth Hoyt

Turn to the last page of the book you just finished and post the last sentence.

message 5: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments "Catch me if you can, boys."

Texas Tangle by Leah Braemel

Next post: Turn to page 147 and post the 1st sentence from the top that includes a character's name.

message 6: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 366 comments Gwen usually hated being around crowds of canines, but maybe it was the wolves she didn't favor as much because the wild dogs weren't that bad.

The Mane Squeeze by Shelly Laurenston

Next post:Turn to page 237 and post the last sentence in the fourth paragraph from the top.

message 7: by Melinda (new)

Melinda (craftymommy) | 766 comments Whoever's in charge of maintenance is doing a shitty job.

Doubleblind (Sirantha Jax, #3) by Ann Aguirre

Turn to page 88 and post the next to last sentence on the page.

message 8: by Denise (new)

Denise | 318 comments "He tilted his neck to the left, then the right, then circled his shoulders." from Her Best Friend Her Best Friend (Harlequin Superromance, #1626) by Sarah Mayberry by Sarah Mayberry

Pick up the book you are currently reading and post the last sentence you read (wherever it is).

message 9: by LibraryLass (last edited Sep 11, 2010 03:57PM) (new)

LibraryLass | 772 comments "He wouldn't show her what he bought, but he was grinning."

Whiplashby Catherine Coulter.

Whiplash (FBI Thriller, #14) by Catherine Coulter

Go to page 150, first dialogue sentence on the page.

message 10: by Melinda (new)

Melinda (craftymommy) | 766 comments "I can't believe she knew. I can't believe she knew! She probably knew the minute she laid eyes on you, since you apparently look like her dead alcoholic mother. And she just. . .just let us come over and baby-sit! All those times! And you were at the baby shower! You brought her a f*cking present from Tiffany!"

Undead and Unreturnable (Undead, #4) by MaryJanice Davidson

Closest romance novel to you. The first thing the main male or female character says after they kiss for the first time.

message 11: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments "Don't" she whispered against his mouth. "Don't get mixed up with me, Jack."

from: Virgin River (Virgin River, #1) by Robyn Carr Virgin River by Robyn Carr

Next post: Turn to page 106 and post the first spoken dialogue.

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (jim_formerly_photojim) | 5294 comments "What do you know of her?" Moira shot back. "You were a baby."

Moira O'Bannion to Roarke in Portrait in Death Portrait in Death (In Death, #16) by J.D. Robb

The first sentence of Chapter Six of the book you are currently reading please.

message 13: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 366 comments Of course we had to go the long way round.

From The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag (Flavia de Luce, #2) by Alan Bradley

The first sentence of the sixth paragraph on page 144 of the book you are reading now.

message 14: by Someoneyouknow (new)

Someoneyouknow | 562 comments "Service is over," I announced.

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë

The tenth sentence on page 200 of a book whose title starts with "A".

message 15: by Melinda (last edited Sep 15, 2010 11:24PM) (new)

Melinda (craftymommy) | 766 comments Giving the one-eyed monster a scowl, he shook his head.

Almost a Goddess by Judi McCoy

Page 175, the third paragraph from a book by your favorite author.

message 16: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 1448 comments "You can hang it back up on the wall.", he had told her without much interest, "or throw it over a cliff. Hell, I don't care what you do with it. I won't be spending another night here, so it doesn't matter where the rapier winds up."

Gift of Gold (Gift, #1) by Jayne Ann Krentz

The 15th sentence on page 99 of a book written by an author whose name (first or last) starts with T

message 17: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments "He hasn't." Sophia fitted another arrow to her bow, her eyebrow arching to match her bowstring.

Goddess of the Hunt by Tessa Dare Goddess of the Hunt (Goddess Trilogy, #1) by Tessa Dare

Next Post: Turn to page 76 of a book you are currently reading. First sentence of the third paragraph.

message 18: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 366 comments If you are familiar with peyote stitch, netting might feel like peyote stitch with additional beads before and after each bead.

Mastering Beadwork A Comprehensive Guide to Off-loom Techniques by Carol Huber Cypher

The first sentence in the fifth paragraph on page 200 of the book you are currently reading.

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (jim_formerly_photojim) | 5294 comments Pia braced herself for a warm, enveloping hug.

actually page 201 as page 200 was the end of a chapter and only had two sentences on it.

Finding Perfect by Susan Mallery Finding Perfect (Fool's Gold, #3) by Susan Mallery

The last sentence from the book you just finished.

message 20: by Melinda (new)

Melinda (craftymommy) | 766 comments Rather appropriate that now it was theirs.

Marriage Most Scandalous by Johanna Lindsey

First sentence of dialogue in the book in your library you hate the most.

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (jim_formerly_photojim) | 5294 comments "Well, Bettina, this will not take long," Andre Verlaine finally said brusquely.

I still have the book from the library A Pirate's Love by Johanna Lindsey.

the first line of dialog from the closest SF book.

message 22: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 1448 comments "Interplanetary call for Mr. Fisk Centers," the cute operator said.

Hard Sell by Piers Anthony

Pg 66, line 6 of the book you are currently reading.

message 23: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments "What's that?" said Charlie.

From The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

Next post: Nearest book beside you. Turn to page 200. First sentence of the third paragraph from the top.

message 24: by ~Megan~ (new)

~Megan~ (megadee) "Soldiers!" Valerie said between gulps.

From To Wed in Texas by Jodi Thomas To Wed in Texas (Texas Brothers, #3) by Jodi Thomas

Chapter 7, 7th sentence from the book you are currently reading.

message 25: by Melinda (new)

Melinda (craftymommy) | 766 comments "What the fuck
are you doing
here?"

Me, Myself, and Why? (Cadence Jones, #1) by MaryJanice Davidson

Book in your library you've read at least twice - page 88, 8th sentence from the top.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

"Winter, year before last, I was livin' rough-ye know, in the woods-with the...with a group of the lads, raidin' over the Border.
Outlander (Outlander, #1) by Diana Gabaldon

Book you last gave a 5 star rating, 8th chapter, 4th sentence down.

message 27: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Clouds sulked across the humid sky, while torchlight sent a brisk dance of light across the ground.

Mine Till Midnight by Lisa Kleypas

Next Post: First spoken dialogue in the book you are currently reading.

message 28: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 366 comments "What does Christmas taste like?"

Holiday Grind (Coffeehouse Mystery, #8) by Cleo Coyle

First sentence in the fifth chapter in the book you're reading.

message 29: by ~Megan~ (new)

~Megan~ (megadee) Rule slid behind the wheel of his Mercedes.

From Mortal Sins (World of the Lupi, #5) by Eileen Wilks by Eileen Wilks

Third sentence in the last chapter of the book you just finished.

message 30: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 19, 2010 07:41AM) (new)

Not missing, he corrected, planted like a seed deep in the heart of his enemy, ready to take root when the time had come.
The Hawk by Monica McCarty
First sentence of the fourth chapter of the book you just finished.

message 31: by Someoneyouknow (new)

Someoneyouknow | 562 comments "What vain weathercocks we are!"

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë

Third sentence of the thirteenth chapter of the book you last gave 1 star rating.

message 32: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 79 comments Sophie glanced worriedly at the well-dressed, chattering crowd.
House of Many Ways (Castle, #3) by Diana Wynne Jones by Diana Wynne Jones

The last sentence you read from a book you're currently reading before you had to put it down. (let me know if that's confusing)

message 33: by LibraryLass (new)

LibraryLass | 772 comments Then again, Duncan thought, there were times when it was more interesting, and certainly more rewarding, just to be dumb.

High Noon by Nora Roberts

Seventh sentence of the seventh chapter of the last 5 star read you read.

message 34: by Danyelle (new)

Danyelle (danisbooks) | 635 comments Many of his questions over the last half hour were making her feel stupid, and for some reson she felt it vital that he didn't think that.

A Hunger Like No Other (Immortals After Dark, #2) by Kresley Cole

open to pg 75-100 of the most resont vampire book you read and pick a qoute

message 35: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments "After I'd awakened, I discovered being a vampire freed some wild thing in me."

All Together Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #7) by Charlaine Harris

Fifth sentence of the fifth chapter of the book you are currently reading.

message 36: by Danna (new)

Danna Sounds like a cool name, let me see if I got it right...
I will quote the sentence not from the book I am currently reading, because it is in Hebrew - but from the last book I have read in English.

"She had posters of them on her walls, and her computer screen saver ws one, a dolphim with warm eyes and a sweet grin gleaming out at you."

Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott

Last sentence of the 16th chpater of the nearest book to you.

message 37: by LibraryLass (new)

LibraryLass | 772 comments ooooh hadn't got to it yet but...

"I've found that imitations can sometimes become damned attractive, when one can't afford the real thing."

Again The Magic (Wallflowers, #0.5) by Lisa Kleypas

First sentence, third paragraph of page 200 of your current read.

message 38: by Danyelle (new)

Danyelle (danisbooks) | 635 comments Bowe drained his glass,then contemplated the bottom of it.

A Hunger Like No Other (Immortals After Dark, #2) by Kresley Cole

the book you last read and pick you fav line.

message 39: by Someoneyouknow (new)

Someoneyouknow | 562 comments "But you know you mustn't allow yourself to be awed, that among them there extend for acres and acres the Books You Needn't Read, the Books Made For Purposes Other Than Reading, Books Read Even Before You Open Them Since They Belong To The Category Of Books Read Before Being Written."

If on a Winter's Night a Traveller by Italo Calvino If on a Winter's Night a Traveller (Picador Books) by Italo Calvino

Second sentence of the 10th chapter of a book you've read that is set in the 19th century

message 40: by Karen K. (new)

Karen K. Miller (karenkm) | 33 comments "We shall t-t-talk and learn to know each other better," she said primly.

Love Be Mine by Shirlee Busbee

Love Be Mine by Shirlee Busbee

Last sentence of the seventh chapter of a book you gave 5 stars

message 41: by Someoneyouknow (new)

Someoneyouknow | 562 comments "Uh - would you pass the sugar, please."

Love Story by Erich Segal Love Story by Erich Segal

Tenth sentence of the 2nd chapter of a novel by your favorite author

message 42: by Charlotte (last edited Sep 05, 2011 03:51PM) (new)

Charlotte | 79 comments "My housekeeper informs me that you have called to discuss a matter that you seem to believe is of grave importance to both of us."

Wait Until Midnight by Amanda Quick Wait Until Midnight by Amanda Quick

Seventh sentence from the top of page 77 of the last book you read and loved.

message 43: by Someoneyouknow (new)

Someoneyouknow | 562 comments "The pain was like the end of the world."

Misery by Stephen King Misery by Stephen King

Eleventh sentence of the 11th chapter of a suspense/mystery book.

message 44: by RedEye_Witch (last edited Dec 17, 2011 05:57AM) (new)

RedEye_Witch | 246 comments 'As the blast stripped away everything that he'd thought of as me'
From The Amazing Maurice And His Educated Rodents by Terry Pratchett Terry Pratchett's The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents (A & C Black Musicals) by Terry Pratchett

Next post: the 8th sentence of the 11th chapter of your current read.

message 45: by Someoneyouknow (new)

Someoneyouknow | 562 comments "And if I didn't listen to her, she said my ear would bend too easily to other people, all saying words that had no lasting meaning, because they came from the bottom of their hearts, where their own desires lived, a place where I could not belong."

The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan

Next post: 3rd sentence of the 2nd chapter of a book you finished last week

message 46: by Macwolf01 [Elise] (last edited Dec 21, 2011 12:17PM) (new)

Macwolf01 [Elise] (macwolf01) | 1012 comments I was starving after nearly two days of grabbing whatever was available, whatever was cheap, at whatever bus stop we rolled into along the lengthy, diverse and winding roads between San Diego and Bent Tree Creek.

I'll Be Home for Christmas by Linda Lael Miller, Catherine Mulvany, Julie Leto and Roxanne St. Claire
I'll Be Home for Christmas (Includes Bullet Catcher, #4) by Linda Lael Miller

Next post: 12th sentence of the 133rd page of a Christmas book you're reading or have read.

message 47: by Tegan (new)

Tegan (tiggy25) | 30 comments Who's conveniently disappeared - Unraveling by Elizabeth Norris (I don't read Christmas themed books and it's practically August now :)just a book that I'm reading at the mo)

Next Post: 16th quote by the main character in the fourth chapter (male or female)

message 48: by PepperP0t (new)

PepperP0t I've got your back! Night Reigns (Immortal Guardians, #2) by Dianne Duvall

5th sentence, page 144

message 49: by Chloe (new)

Chloe West (chloewest28) | 76 comments I thought this was awesome because I opened the book right to page 144. :)

"We flew back toward Manhattan, staying low to the water in case any other dado pilots came looking for us."

Second to last sentence of the page you're on in the book you're currently reading.

message 50: by Maritza (new)

Maritza (maricari90) | 200 comments "But in the back of his mind he still hadn't forgotten that punch from yesterday." Love Letters From a Duke (Bachelor Chronicles, #3) by Elizabeth Boyle

The 7th sentence of the 7th chapter of the current book you are reading.

« previous 1