College Students! discussion

books, books, and more books! > Please suggest me some good books to read....

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shwetika (new)

Shwetika | 72 comments Hi Everyone , please suggest me some bood books to read that are not YA book. I am done with my grad and I love to read any type of book. But uptill now imost of the books i read are YA and i am getting Funnylooks from all ny friends and family . they are like you know these book are ment for school kids of 14-15 year a graduate of 20-21 year old is not suppose to read them. so i figure out i need to start reading book other than YA books, But i don't have much idea what to read so please suggest book to me.

message 2: by Kaion (new)

Kaion (kaionvin) That's so ridiculously general, Shwetika! What genres or themes do you like?

message 3: by Gina (new)

Gina (ginajellybean) My favourite book of all time, ever, is Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. It's hard to put it into a genre as it's six stories spanning hundreds of years and all connecting subtly - it reaches from 19th Century gold-rush America to England in the 90s to a post-apocalyptic future. It's amazing!

message 4: by Shwetika (new)

Shwetika | 72 comments Um.... WEll, I can read all kind of books. I mean i do read criminal novels, murder mystery, love story, and spy novels and classics to. so any book will do.

message 5: by Jen (last edited Sep 06, 2010 06:12AM) (new)

Jen (wishesandwanderlust) | 696 comments Look through the different threads in this group and you can find tons of book recommendations. The group reads/past group reads might be a good place to start. Or the what are you currently reading thread could be helpful.

We also have All-time favorite books.

message 6: by Shwetika (last edited Sep 06, 2010 09:28AM) (new)

Shwetika | 72 comments Jen wrote: "Look through the different threads in this group and you can find tons of book recommendations. The group reads/past group reads might be a good place to start. Or the what are you currently read..."

k .thanks a lot. And are you sure they are not YA book. I really don't want more YA to read.

message 8: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments We read lots of YA, so a lot on that list probably are. Just look up the book and see if it's YA.

message 9: by Shwetika (new)

Shwetika | 72 comments Sashana wrote: "A Thousand Splendid Suns, The Kite Runner, Water for Elephants."

Thanks. I will defiantly go for Water for Elephants and for other two I am done with them .I mean i have read them. and they are no doubt very good books.

message 10: by Shwetika (new)

Shwetika | 72 comments Kimberly wrote: "We read lots of YA, so a lot on that list probably are. Just look up the book and see if it's YA."

Okay.

message 11: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
I don't think there is any age appropriate for reading ya books, so don't let them discourage you. There are a bunch of great books out there that are ya.

For some that aren't, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (the whole trilogy in fact), Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson, and really any of the classics. I also like most books by Mary Higgins Clark, and so far, the ones I have read by Dean Koontz.

message 12: by Shwetika (new)

Shwetika | 72 comments ^ Thanks for support lol.

message 13: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Shwetika , I thought you just didn’t like reading YA books. If you don’t like YA books then that’s okay. But if you DO like them but others make you feel inferior for doing so then just ignore them because reading is for pleasure and it makes no sense reading something that you don’t enjoy. I’ve met people in their 60’s that love reading YA and they are very well read people.

I love YA but I try to balance it with something ‘serious’ every now and then. But like I said, reading is fun and people definitely shouldn’t put age limits on books. (Can you tell that I love to rant?)

message 14: by Shwetika (new)

Shwetika | 72 comments Amanda wrote: "I am 22, and 95% of the books I read are YA. I don't think there is anything wrong with it. If that's what you like to read, then you should definatlely read that genre! It doesn't really matter wh..."
Yeah i guess you are rite. Thanks lol.

message 15: by Shwetika (new)

Shwetika | 72 comments Sashana wrote: "Shwetika , I thought you just didn’t like reading YA books. If you don’t like YA books then that’s okay. But if you DO like them but others make you feel inferior for doing so then just ignore them..."

I totally love YA books. But I love other books to I mean I love Books by Oscar wild , Charles Dickens, Jane Austen, Sidney Sheldon and i want to go for some Serious book also. I mean i did read "A Thousand Splendid Suns"and "The Kite Runner" N LOVED these books but MOST OF THE BOOKS I read are YA and even the shopkeeper and Liberian gives me that look when i ask for YA books that just make me a little bit ashame for reading YA books.

message 16: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Wilkerson (misslaurenwilk) | 425 comments I recommend anything by Michelle Moran, like Cleopatra's Daughter or Nefertiti. Also there are two really good books by Alan Brennert called Honolulu and Moloka'i.

message 17: by Shwetika (new)

Shwetika | 72 comments k Lauren and thanks a lot.

message 18: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Shwetika wrote: "Sashana wrote: "Shwetika , I thought you just didn’t like reading YA books. If you don’t like YA books then that’s okay. But if you DO like them but others make you feel inferior for doing so then ..."

I loved the Kite Runner, haven't read A Thousand Splendid Suns yet. You should just ignore you shopkeeper and librarian, they shouldn't make you feel bad because you're a customer. I make my librarian smile sometimes because I check out so many books at once.

message 19: by Chantal (new)

Chantal (chantalrouette) | 6 comments I thought "The Solitude of Prime Numbers" by Paolo Giordano was incredible, and you can age with the characters. I think that as you get older, you'll find you relate more to the characters towards the end of the novel, whereas the younger you are, the more you relate to the characters near the beginning of the novel. It's beautifully written and definitely one of my favourites at the moment.

message 20: by Andrea (new)

Andrea P. | 1 comments May I suggest "The books map"? It contains reviews of the most amazing books I've ever read. Visit thebooksmap.blogspot.co.uk/

message 21: by Agatha (new)

Agatha | 1 comments Shwetika, if you want something both breath-taking and offering food for thought, then it's definitely 'Bewitched Water' by Sevirina. This book blew my mind.

message 22: by Gina (new)

Gina (bookishgina) | 28 comments since you said you're into criminal/mystery/thriller type of novels check out any of James Patterson's solo books. My personal favorite is Postcard Killers but all of the stand alone books I've read by him I breeze through cause they are so attention grabbing!

You could also venture into one of his series as well if you like him enough, I'm wanting to read his Alex Cross series but there are a LOT of books in that series so I'm waiting until I feel more committed to it LOL. But my cousin highly recommended his Murder Mystery series (1st to Die is the first one) and there are 13 of those.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Loved this book! Fast paced and hot!

It's free today.

http://amzn.to/1Sxds6U

message 24: by Levi (new)

Levi Underhill | 8 comments I purchased the Glass Sword (Red Queen) It is an absolutely amazing book. Love the wording the authors uses. Here is a direct link I found. http://amzn.to/1YXz6Wl

I hope you enjoy :)