College Students! discussion

books, books, and more books! > all time favorite books?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 73 (73 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
what books do you love?

I'm going with On the Road & Franny and Zooey.

message 2: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 252 comments My favorite is the Lovely Bones.

message 3: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

i really enjoyed that books as well.

message 4: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 252 comments I could never really get into Franny and Zooey really. Maybe that's because I read Catcher in the Rye in high school and hated it. I think i might try it again.

message 5: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

understandable.
you should try again. :)
hahaha..i can't help it..i will convert the haters one at a time. :)
kiddding.

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 143 comments my guilty pleasures are the Harry Potter books! :) I also really love Jane Eyre & Little Women.

message 7: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

i read the first harry potter book a long time ago..and i LOVED it..but then i never read any of the others for some reason. Jane Eyre is a book i feel like i should read but havent yet.

message 8: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 143 comments you should start reading them again!!

message 9: by Spencer (new)

Spencer (spencerafreeman) My favorites :
The Things They Carried
Things Fall Apart
Skinny Dip
Walk Two Moons- read it as a girl and it was so good I cried! (during the appropriate parts, of course)

I'm with you, Jamie- I feel like I should read Jane Eyre but I have a hard time getting into books written in 19th century english. Then I always feel stupid that I don't understand.
If I start it, maybe someone could explain it to me in steps as I go along?? I am determined to read classics! (Jane Austen, Charlotte Bronte) Somebody help me!

message 10: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments I'm in the middle of Jane Eyre right now. I put it off for so long, because I thought it was going to be one of those old stuffy classics. It's actually very good, and the writing isn't hard to understand either.
Anywho, my favorite books of all time have been the Harry Potter books (I read the first one when I was 12, and I was hooked ever since then!) Other than that, I recently discovered that Markus Zusak is an amazing author (he wrote The Book Thief and I am the Messenger). I loved Catcher in the Rye, Flowers in the Attic, Perks of Being a Wallflower, The Time Traveler's Wife...and there are also millions more than I can't think of right now.

message 11: by Janet (new)

Janet I have a lot of favorite books. A couple though are Catcher in the Rye. I read it in high school and loved it. Useless knowledge...it's also the book that the man started to read outloud after he shot John Lennon. Sad, I know, but I still love the book! P.S. I love The Beatles!
I also love the Jessica Darling series. Sloppy Firts, Second Helpings, Charmed Thirds, and coming soon, Fourth Comings. They're just fun, simple reads but I got very into the characters and can't wait to read the 4th one!

message 12: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Janet,

Did you ever see Across the Universe??

message 13: by Spencer (new)

Spencer (spencerafreeman) Janet, I read Sloppy Firsts and Second Helpings... I thought they were great! I never got to the Third book, but ever since I saw there was a Fourth one out I've been itching to read the Third and Fourth!
Hm... Maybe I'll read the 1 and 2 all over again just to get to 3 and 4 :)

message 14: by Janet (new)

Janet Anastasia,
I love Jessica Darling! She is just the greatest character! The third book is probably my favorite. It takes a little bit to get into it, I thought, but it's just great. I am so glad you read them!! My friend and I passed them around this summer and we're so excited for the 4th one! Haha.

Jamie,
I didn't ever see Across the Universe! I heard it's really great but I just always forget about it when I am renting movies. I'll have to remember it!

message 15: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

you really have to see it!! :)
i loved it! :)

message 16: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

I just re-read The Bell Jar again recently..and remembered how much it really is one of my favorites. :)

message 17: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (kelseynicole) awl i loved Lovely Bones, that was a good one. Honestly i cant pick a favorite book!! (sighs) That puts stress on my shoulders that i cant bear! haha. I would feel like im turning a cold shoulder on all the other books ive read. =0 am i the only one like that?

message 18: by Molly (new)

Molly (slinkyxo) | 153 comments I loved The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Frankenstein, The Poisonwood Bible, and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close..which i'm sooo excited to see that was a group read here!!

message 19: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments You've got great taste in books Molly!

message 20: by Michael (new)

Michael Minter (mothore) I still enjoy reading, "Invisible Monsters".

message 21: by Annie (new)

Annie Hartman (anniebananie) | 242 comments 5 people you meet in heaven.
and i still love Secret Garden! :)

message 22: by Sofistixatedlady (new)

Sofistixatedlady | 65 comments The sisterhood of the traveling pants series
What my mother doesn't know
What my girlfriend doesn't know
The book thief
Kissed by an Angel trilogy
The historian
The thirteenth tale
Harry Potter saga
The echo falls mystery trilogy by Peter Abrahams
Water for Elephants

message 24: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) so hard to choose favorites because they change all the time, however the books which I have loved for several years are:
Jitterbug Perfume
The Pillars ofg the Earth
Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight An African Childhood
Power of One
East of Eden
The Cider House Rules

message 25: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 04, 2009 12:06PM) (new)

Loads!

1.Evasion This book changed my life.
2.His Dark Materials Trilogy
3.Cunt A Declaration of Independence Expanded and Updated Second Edition by Inga Muscio
4. Harry Potter Boxset Books 1-7
5. Days of War, Nights of Love Crimethink
For Beginners
Crimethinc is amazing, it really opened my mind to so much stuff.
6. The Lucifer Effect Understanding How Good People Turn Evil by Philip Zimbardo
7. Juno & Juliet A Novel by Julian Gough.
8. Is Anybody Listening? by Larry O' Loughlin
9. Media Control The Spectacular Achievements of Propaganda by Noam Chomsky. What a legend!
10. Full Frontal Feminism A Young Woman's Guide to Why Feminism Matters by Jessica Valentini. Excellent book, and it made me realize that I am a feminist!
11. Death Without Weeping The Violence of Everyday Life in Brazil by Nancy Scheper- Hughes.

message 26: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 14 comments Favorite book of all time for me is Catch-22.

message 27: by Liz (new)

Liz I have to pick ONE favorite? But I love so many, including:
Everything Is Illuminated
Matilda
The Lord of the Rings
The Lovely Bones
Jane Austen's novels
To the Lighthouse
The Hours
Cold Mountain
Middlemarch
there's more listed on my profile. SO MANY BOOKS!

message 28: by Allison (new)

Allison i love so many different books, for so many different reasons, but at the moment, my top 5:
1. extremely loud and incredibly close
2. to kill a mockingbird
3. the boy who loved words
4. the book of lost things
5. the secret of lost things

message 29: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

i LOVED Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close..definitely one of my all time favorites..I will have to check out the others you have listed!

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

My favorite books of all would have to be:

Perks of Being A Wallflower
Veronika Decides to Die
The Alchemist (I really love Paulo Coelho!)
Burned Alive
Pride & Prejudice
All of the Dr. Seuss's
& plenty of more.

message 31: by Anna (new)

Anna (heyannahey) | 67 comments Oh, gosh, I have so many favorites.
Rebecca, Ella Enchanted, The Anansi Boys, and The Phantom Tollbooth, just to name a few.
I don't know if I could possibly list all of the books I've fallen in love with over the years.

message 32: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Anna wrote: "Oh, gosh, I have so many favorites.
Rebecca, Ella Enchanted, The Anansi Boys, and The Phantom Tollbooth, just to name a few.
I don't know if I could possibly list all of the books I've fallen in lo..."

The Phantom Tollbooth is on my tbr list. I LOVED Rebecca. Have you ever heard the song "Rebecca" by Meg & Dia? It's the perfect song based on that book.

message 33: by Anna (new)

Anna (heyannahey) | 67 comments The Phantom Tollbooth is so great... I hope you like it. :)

I haven't heard the song. I'll have to check it out.

message 34: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

What are your all time favorite books?

message 35: by Drew (new)

Drew Hamilton (drewhamilton) Gotta go with (in no order):
The Giver / Gathering Blue / Messenger
Looking for Alaska
Paper Towns
An Abundance of Katherines
The Secret of Lost Things
The Lovely Bones
Water for Elephants
The Magicians

message 36: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 604 comments Wow, so many people seem to have fairly recent books as their favorites. I haven't added a book to my list of "all time favorites" in a while.

My (long-standing) favorites:
The Bell Jar
Ella Enchanted
the Abarat series
The Brothers Karamazov
The Crimson Petal and the White
The Fountainhead
My Heart is a Lonely Hunter

I'm reading Moon Palace by Paul Auster and I'm loving it! Maybe this one will become the newest addition to my list...

message 37: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

I just have to add a new book to my favorites list: Blindness. Amazing book. Wow.

message 38: by Monica (new)

Monica (monbon211) | 89 comments My all time favorite - thus far -is Water for Elephants. I don't think I'll ever forget this story's ending.

And The Glass Castle. Although it took me a couple of chapters to really get into it (I think that's normal, right?), it's an amazing journey.

message 40: by jessi (new)

jessi (infinitevantage) | 157 comments The Harry Potter series. Hands down.

message 41: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker I haven't read several of my favorite books in a few years. I'd like to reread them this summer/in the near future to see whether they're still my favorites.

message 42: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Another good one to bring back up. Our blog just did a Top Ten Tuesday about all time favorite books. What are yours?

http://brokeandbookish.blogspot.com/2...

message 43: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (ravencat) Probably Pride and Prejudice.. I could re-read it forever I think. I even like all the spin-offs of the story from other authors.

message 44: by Anika (new)

Anika (anlynn) | 106 comments My top ten would have to be:

The Fountainhead
The Harry Potter Series
Persuasion
Pride and Prejudice
Chasing Redbird
The Pillars of the Earth
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Little Women
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
The Truth About Forever

message 45: by Richard (new)

Richard (nemzep95) | 448 comments My favorites would be:

Harry Potter - if I had to choose one, it'd probably be Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
City of Ashes (although once I read City of Glass it will probably become my favorite in the series)
Island of the Blue Dolphins because it was the first book I ever read (and I loved it!)

Sadly I can never seem to get into Jane Austen books. I'm determined to read at least one of her books!

message 46: by Anika (new)

Anika (anlynn) | 106 comments Richard, if you can make yourself get into an Austen book, its worth it! She is one of my favorite authors. My favorite books of hers are Pride and Prejudice, and Persuasion.

Oh, and good choice on Harry Potter :)

message 47: by Richard (new)

Richard (nemzep95) | 448 comments Anika wrote: "Richard, if you can make yourself get into an Austen book, its worth it! She is one of my favorite authors. My favorite books of hers are Pride and Prejudice, and Persuasion.

Oh, and good choice..."

Haha thanks. Barnes and Noble has the free e-book for Pride and Prejudice, so I'll probably read it. I always freak out cause I feel I need to focus on every word or else I'll miss/forget something. And I don't like reading too fast because it feels like you're rushing through it. But sometimes I get caught up in what's going on and next thing I know I've mowed through 50 pages without looking up haha.

message 48: by Anika (new)

Anika (anlynn) | 106 comments I'm the same way. If I am even the tiniest bit distracted while reading, I always feel like I have to reread to make sure I've picked up on every detail. With Austen, I find that its hard to get into her style at first, but once I'm about 25 or so pages in, I am completely used to it.

message 49: by Richard (new)

Richard (nemzep95) | 448 comments Anika wrote: "I'm the same way. If I am even the tiniest bit distracted while reading, I always feel like I have to reread to make sure I've picked up on every detail. With Austen, I find that its hard to get ..."

Yeah! I hate it when there's a tv or conversation going on that you can barely hear, yet it still manages to keep you on the same page for 10-20 minutes. I hate it. A lot of times if I'm too distracted I just put the book down and try again later.

That's good to hear about Jane Austen's books. I never really put much effort into her books, so I read the first page or two and couldn't manage to be successful in reading it. Now that I'm getting used to reading again I'll have to try reading Pride and Prejudice.

Also, I'm ashamed to say I've never read a Nicholas Sparks novel (never tried either). I've been wanting to but haven't gotten around to it. Do y'all know any good books by him that you'd recommend for me to read?

message 50: by Anika (last edited Jul 29, 2010 10:54PM) (new)

Anika (anlynn) | 106 comments Haha, Richard I am exactly the same way when it comes to distractions while I'm trying to read!! And I can't believe you've never read a Nicholas Sparks novel! He is wonderful if you want a quick, romantic read! I haven't read all of his; I mostly go for the ones about the younger couples, since those are more relatable. I've read A Walk to Remember (my favorite), The Notebook (which is also really good), The Wedding, Dear John, The Last Song, and True Believer. All of them were pretty good.

« previous 1