The Sword and Laser discussion

What Else Are You Reading? > What Else Are You Reading? September 2010 Edition

Comments Showing 1-50 of 110 (110 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4117 comments New month, new "What are you reading" thread. :)

I have officially given up on Girl Missing and will in short order create a new category for my books here on Goodreads, "Abandoned." This book was terrible.

I'm also about 1/5 through Assassin's Quest and am enjoying it very much, just not having a lot of time to read print books since getting back from vacation (silly work!). On audio, I think I'm going to start listening to Down to the Wire (I try to listen to a different genre than I'm reading in print). I like Rosenfelt's Andy Carpenter books, so I'm giving one of his non-Andy Carpenter books a go.

message 2: by Cameron (new)

Cameron (cm_cameron) | 50 comments I finished His Majesty's Dragon last month and thought it was great. It had a few slow parts, but the conclusion made up for it, I think. That final battle was epic! Currently, I'm reading a few pages here and there of The Janson Directive while I wait for my friend to let me borrow Throne of Jade. Looking forward to it.

message 3: by John (new)

John | 43 comments I finally slogged my way to the finish of Consider Phlebas. The second half of the book was much better but, ugh, that was tedious. Is there a better book in the Culture series? I feel like I started in the wrong spot.

Also finished Glory Road which was okay. Not my favorite Heinlein.

After two "meh" books I think I need to treat myself to something fun. Perhaps another Dresden novel.

message 4: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments I'm still working on The Stand by Stephen King and have gone back to finish Un Lun Dun by China Mieville. I had bogged down on the latter early on, but it's picking up now.

As soon as I'm done with one or the other, I'm going to read Shape of Illusion by William E. Barrett. I read it when I was in junior high and I had remembered bits and pieces of it after 30+ years. I was talking to my mom about a book I had read way back and a bit of what I remembered, and she went through her bookshelf and found it.

In audio, I'm listening to The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements and I Am Legend.

message 5: by Tamahome (last edited Sep 01, 2010 08:33PM) (new)

Tamahome | 6098 comments I just pulled the trigger on Endymion the audio edition, but I've already read half. Wow this guy phrases just like the Airborn narrator.

message 6: by Tom (new)

Tom (fermionace) | 39 comments I'm still reading The Unincorporated Man.

message 7: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 10 comments I'm looking forward to a long weekend reading (provided I don't get distracted by Netflix streaming episodes of Pillars of the Earth). I hope to finish Song of the Beast by Saturday so I can start reading The Way of Kings, which I received yesterday, signed and numbered by Brandon.

Otherwise, I've got some GoodReads group book-of-the-month selections to read and a couple of non-fiction selections for my church. You can visit my current-month shelf for my dynamic list of September reads.

message 8: by Patrick (new)

Patrick | 93 comments I finished The Evolutionary Void and just started Cyberabad Days.

message 9: by Leighann (new)

Leighann (zhelenstilo) I'm working on Bloodsucking Fiends: A Love Story at the moment. I'll probably start in on The Black Prism after that. Or maybe The Way of Kings, which is sitting on the hold shelf at the library, if that ends up being a short loan.

message 10: by Danny (new)

Danny Richardson (dannyrichardson) | 16 comments Currently reading Elric: The Stealer of Souls. After finishing this I plan to catch up on some recent editions of Asimov & Analog.

message 11: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6098 comments Patrick wrote: "I finished The Evolutionary Void and just started Cyberabad Days."

How did you like it? Where the heck is the audio version?

message 12: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelbetts) | 256 comments After Heinlein, I'm heading to finish up Herbert's The White Plague and then Martin's A Clash of Kings. Would also like to get through Stranger in a Strange Land for this month's issue of SciFiNow.

message 13: by Jordy (new)

Jordy I just started The Way of Kings yesterday it's great so far

message 14: by Patrick (new)

Patrick | 93 comments Tamahome wrote: "Patrick wrote: "I finished The Evolutionary Void and just started Cyberabad Days."

How did you like it? Where the heck is the audio version?"

I don't think the ending is quite as over the top as some of his other stories. Overall I was entertained but I liked the Night's Dawn trilogy better.

message 15: by Amy (new)

Amy Pilkington | 104 comments I'll be finishing up Julian Comstock: A Story of 22nd-Century America tonight and then plan to start on The Hunger Games, then probably Warbreaker.

After that it's up in the air, but I've picked up The Pillars of the Earth (after enjoying the TV series) and The Passage, plus I have the hugo-nonimated novellas and still haven't read Wake and The City & The City

And since the final movie(s) are coming out soon, I'm picking my way through a full Harry Potter reread as well.

message 16: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4117 comments Amy wrote: "After that it's up in the air, but I've picked up The Pillars of the Earth (after enjoying the TV series) and The Passage, plus I have the hugo-nonimated novellas and still haven't read Wake and The City & The City"

Can't speak to the Hugo novellas but I definitely recommend The Pillars of the Earth. The Passage was OK. It wasn't anything I'd call great, and it did drag on a bit.

I'm still having no time to read, especially in print. Hopefully this weekend I'll get a chance to get back to Assassin's Quest.

message 17: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments YIKES! I'm downloading The Way of Kings from Audible right now. It's 46 hours and a 7-part download! If anyone is interested, it's only one credit between now and Oct. 31. I think you'll get your credit's worth.

message 18: by Caitrin (new)

Caitrin (literarydependent) At the moment I'm reading The Way of Kings. I have about 25 or so books from the library and I've never really planned what I'm going to read...maybe I should do that for next month. I'd love to get all of my books back and read so I can do a Sanderson re-read.

message 19: by Otto (new)

Otto (andrewlinke) | 110 comments I've just started Quicksilver in Audiobook. Only a couple hours in, but I'm enjoying it a lot more than I had expected, considering some of the reviews I saw.

message 20: by Joyce (new)

Joyce (eternity21) | 171 comments I'm currently reading Death Masks

message 21: by Jason (new)

Jason | 14 comments I finished The Lifecycle of Software Objects last week. It's a really interesting angle on A.I. Wish it were longer and look forward to more things from him. For a novella, it's a must read.

I finished Harmony today. Although portrayed as utopia, I certainly felt as if this was a dystopia. It really hits some anti-establishment nerves. I liked it.

Currently reading Moxyland

message 22: by Kyanni (last edited Sep 05, 2010 03:28PM) (new)

Kyanni | 18 comments Just finished Last Argument of Kings, the final book of the First Law trilogy (The Blade Itself and Before They Are Hanged). It is amazing how Joe Abercrombie can make you root for some of the reprehensible characters in the trilogy. Glotka and Logan have few redeeming qualities you would normally find as heroes in most books, yet you find yourself hoping everything would come out well for them. Overall, I did enjoy the series, even though the beginning and ending reminded me of the Jason Bourne movies. While we await the next Sword and Laser book, I have started reading The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.

message 23: by Jason (new)

Jason | 14 comments Kyanni wrote: "Just finished Last Argument of Kings, the final book of the First Law trilogy (The Blade Itself and Before They Are Hanged). It is amazing how Joe Aberc..."

I agree, Glokta is my favorite character in that series by far.

message 24: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments To test out my new Kindle 3, I downloaded A Fire Upon The Deep: Special Edition, which contains all of Vinge's notes as a sort of commentary track.

message 25: by Tamahome (last edited Sep 06, 2010 02:25PM) (new)

Tamahome | 6098 comments I'm watching the Robert Altman version of The Long Goodbye. Screenplay by Leigh Brackett. Phillip is just trying to feed his cat right now.

Edit:
Wow, unpleasant ending.

message 26: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Tom Merritt (tommerritt) | 1147 comments Mod
I had meant to on to The Stand or Dark Tower after I finished The blade itself, but I couldn't resist getting Before They Are Hanged, so now Im off on that. I'm also enjoying the graphic Novel The Unwritten Part Two, The Inside Man.

message 27: by Kris (new)

Kris (kvolk) John wrote: "I finally slogged my way to the finish of Consider Phlebas. The second half of the book was much better but, ugh, that was tedious. Is there a better book in the Culture series? I..."

John i would say that Player of Games or Use of Weapons is a better start point.

message 28: by Kris (new)

Kris (kvolk) I an reading the finale to Peter Hamilton Void series..almost done and it is really good...

message 29: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6098 comments Kris wrote: "I an reading the finale to Peter Hamilton Void series..almost done and it is really good..."

I have it on ebook. Now I can look up those funny British words like 'marque'.

message 30: by Kris (new)

Kris (kvolk) Lol...i actually forget he is English reading his stuff....

message 31: by Richard (new)

Richard Guion (giantsizegeek) | 158 comments Jason wrote: "I finished The Lifecycle of Software Objects last week. It's a really interesting angle on A.I. Wish it were longer and look forward to more things from him. For a novella, it's a..."

I read that as well! Did you buy the book that was just published by Subterranean Press?

message 32: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6098 comments Kris wrote: "Lol...i actually forget he is English reading his stuff...."

Peter F. Hamilton is kind of the Led Zeppelin of science fiction. I could see that.

message 33: by Kris (new)

Kris (kvolk) Nice comparision! I wonder if he writes any Tolkien references into his work as well....

message 34: by Cameron (new)

Cameron (cm_cameron) | 50 comments Tamahome wrote: "Peter F. Hamilton is kind of the Led Zeppelin of science fiction. I could see that."

And with that comparison, Pandora's Star has jumped up a dozen places on my to-read list.

message 35: by Jason (new)

Jason | 14 comments Richard wrote: "Jason wrote: "I finished The Lifecycle of Software Objects last week ... I read that as well! Did you buy the book that was just published by Subterranean Press? "

Yes, and the illustrations were a nice addition.

message 36: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (last edited Sep 06, 2010 07:59PM) (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1665 comments Mod
Finally on The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest via Audible! On the last hour, woo! I also started reading Divine Misfortune, but I'm not loving it so far.

message 37: by Ben (new)

Ben | 116 comments I just finished Into the Wild, and I am just now starting Anatomy of a Dictatorship: Inside the GDR, 1949-1989.

message 38: by Ricky (new)

Ricky Bates | 14 comments I finished Darkly Dreaming Dexter. Now I'm reading To Kill a Mockingbird and Foundation.

message 39: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Laberge (Matthew_LaBerge) | 16 comments Joyce wrote: "I'm currently reading Death Masks"

I too am reading Death Masks... just over half way through. I will also be reading Darkly Dreaming Dexter.

message 40: by Brian (new)

Brian (maeglin73) | 20 comments I just finished Infected, and am now reading His Majesty's Dragon.

message 41: by Curt (last edited Sep 07, 2010 11:00AM) (new)

Curt Taylor (meegeek) | 107 comments While the group was reading 'Harsh Mistress' I read The Good Soldiers and now am on to The Year of the Flood. I cannot believe how much of a Atwood junky I am. This book is especially good and a good prelude to Oryx and Crake.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2833 comments I finally finished The Gesualdo Hex: Music, Myth, and Memory, which was dense but totally worth the effort.

I borrowed Room from a friend, and started reading it today after finding out it made the Booker Shortlist. It isn't available in the states yet but she ordered it from Amazon.uk - about a mother and son who are captives and all they know is Room... kind of interesting so far.

message 43: by Paul (last edited Sep 08, 2010 07:47AM) (new)

Paul Cassidy | 9 comments Just finished The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks. I loved this book and can't wait to read the next 2 but in the mean time I am reading Vicous Circle by Mike Carey. I love sword and laser podcast it has turned me on to a lot of great reads.

message 45: by Michael (new)

Michael Minutillo (wolfbyte) I just finished Worlds Enough & Time: Five Tales of Speculative Fiction which I found distinctly meh (my first Dan Simmons, the K2 story was good but the rest...meh). I then read God Is an Iron and Other Stories which was more to my liking. Next up is probably The City & The City or Pushing Ice. Both are by authors whose work I have already enjoyed and The City won a Hugo this week!

message 46: by Skip (new)

Skip | 517 comments So far this month I've read Mistborn: The Final Empire (paperback), The Well of Ascension (ebook), and The Hero of Ages (ebook). I plan on picking up Zero History in hardback next and getting it signed when William Gibson comes through on his book tour later this month.

message 47: by Tom (new)

Tom Hansen (scarhoof) I just finished up The Way of Kings. Amazing book. If you like Brandon Sanderson, Robert Jordan, or any epic fantasy, I highly recommend getting this.

message 48: by Curt (new)

Curt Taylor (meegeek) | 107 comments Was up until 4 am last night finishing The Year of the Flood. Picked up my Kindle (last 2 books were hard copies my daughter brought home with her) and immediately downloaded Best Served Cold and will most likely burn through that one too. Thinking of going back to my childhood and rereading some of the Lensmen series (E.E. Smith). Curious if these books will hold up after so much time.

message 49: by Mark (new)

Mark Miller (mercutiom) | 28 comments I just finished Artemis Fowl: Atlantis Syndrome, so check. I'm working my way through Bitter Seeds, and The Blade Itself on my Audible playlist, and I got The High King on Montival in the mail yesterday and plan on burning through most of that on a cross-country flight on Sunday. We'll see if I get through all those before moving onto other selections I have set out.

message 50: by Jlawrence, S&L Moderator (new)

Jlawrence | 960 comments Mod
Just finished Macroscope by Piers Anthony, which was flawed but interesting and ambitious science fiction - I mostly knew him from his light-hearted Xanth series before.

About to dive into either The Name of the Wind or House of Suns.

« previous 1 3