SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Archive: Past Book-of-the-Month > [Oct 2010] "Clockwork Angel" by Cassandra Clare

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28410 comments Thank you to all who voted in this month's poll. The winner is: Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare. Join us in October to discuss it.

Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1) by Cassandra Clare

Release Date: 31 August
Synopsis:
"Magic is dangerous—but love is more dangerous still.
When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray crosses the ocean to find her brother, her destination is England, the time is the reign of Queen Victoria, and something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets. Only the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons, keep order amidst the chaos.
Kidnapped by the mysterious Dark Sisters, members of a secret organization called The Pandemonium Club, Tessa soon learns that she herself is a Downworlder with a rare ability: the power to transform, at will, into another person. What's more, the Magister, the shadowy figure who runs the Club, will stop at nothing to claim Tessa's power for his own.
Friendless and hunted, Tessa takes refuge with the Shadowhunters of the London Institute, who swear to find her brother if she will use her power to help them. She soon finds herself fascinated by—and torn between—two best friends: Jem, whose fragile beauty hides a deadly secret, and blue-eyed Will, whose caustic wit and volatile moods keep everyone in his life at arm's length...everyone, that is, but Tessa.
As their search draws them deep into the heart of an arcane plot that threatens to destroy the Shadowhunters, Tessa realizes that she may need to choose between saving her brother and helping her new friends save the world...and that love may be the most dangerous magic of all.

Discussion Threads:
SPOILER-FREE comments and questions should be posted below in this thread.
To discuss the book with SPOILERS, please go here.

message 2: by Angi (new)

Angi | 485 comments Finished with this one. Very interesting! :)

message 3: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28410 comments Cool. I'm anxious to get started. Making my way to it, slowly, but surely.

message 4: by Angi (new)

Angi | 485 comments Well Mrs. Million Books.. I know why it takes you a little bit ;-) lol

message 5: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28410 comments And I don't even have them all listed here at GR. :)

message 6: by Angi (new)

Angi | 485 comments Lol I so readily believe that :)) how do you get so many??

message 7: by Patty (new)

Patty (catnaping) I finished this book earlier tonight.I really liked it.There was a couple spots that were slow for me but definitley looking forward to the next book in the series.

message 8: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28410 comments Angi wrote: "Lol I so readily believe that :)) how do you get so many??"

A few from here, a few from there ... LOL :)

message 9: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28410 comments I'm glad you liked it, Patty. Have you read "Mortal Instruments"?

message 10: by Angi (new)

Angi | 485 comments You know, I really liked this one a lot more than "Mortal Instruments". I like "Mortal Instruments" (and I still have one more to go so far), but sometimes it's really hard for me to get into it. I think it's Clare's writing in general for me... not sure, but this one was more interesting in my opinion.

message 11: by Miss (new)

Miss | 259 comments I totally agree with you Angi, I liked this one much better then her other series. I felt it was much better written and structured and much less chaotic. Can't wait for the sequel!