SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Archive: Past Book-of-the-Month > [Oct 2010] "Clockwork Angel" Discussion **Spoilers**

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (last edited Sep 01, 2010 02:54AM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments This is the discussion thread for Oct's BOM: Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare.

Spoilers Welcome Here
If you are would like to discuss the book SPOILER-FREE, please go here.
Please include in your discussion:
* Did you like the main character? (If not, why?)
* Would you recommend the book to others?
* Do you plan on reading the rest of the series?

message 2: by Angi (new)

Angi | 485 comments I liked this one a lot. Cassandra Clare's writing is a bit harder for me to get into at first, as with "The Mortal Instruments Series", but once I got going, I was very intrigued.

The main character I liked okay. I didn't really feel a connection with her, but I certainly didn't dislike her either. I think I liked Jem and Charlotte more and I like how there is a familiar character from the previous series - (i.e. Magnus :)- we get a glimpse of just how old he could be.

Another element I like is that there are a lot of things pulled in from her other series, so you can understand those things better and gain a sense of familiarity with them.

I would definitely recommend the book to others, very intriguing! :)

I do plan to read the rest of the series. There are a lot of unanswered questions and I'm looking forward to having them answered.

message 3: by Barb (last edited Oct 12, 2010 01:04PM) (new)

Barb | 28 comments I really enjoyed this. I agree with Angi in that it was slow going for me in the beginning, but this happens to me a lot with the first book in a series, I think because of all the setup that's required in the first one.

I was kind of bleh on Tessa, while there are definitely times she shows bravery and courage, you also really see the Victorian period coming out in her comments and acceptance about women's roles and how they're submissive as opposed to men's. I absolutely understand that this is only reflecting the times and that that's how it was back then, but seeing it voiced still makes me cringe :-) Maybe that will be an aspect of her personality that grows as she matures and has different experiences, we'll see.

I would definitely recommend that others read this and I do plan to finish the series. It's actually made me want to go back and read the Mortal Instruments series again, I wasn't that fired up about it when I originally read it, but maybe I would enjoy it more now that I liked this one so much.

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (chattymandy21) | 19 comments I loved this book. Tessa is a sweet innocent little creature who I believe has this small fire burning inside of her egging her on. She knows she shouldn't have such intimate thoughts of Will, however that fire is stoked and why not try it. Her timid actions are appropriate for the time era (which hurts feminine pride), but once you keep that in mind her character fits. Like Barb, I too hope that we will watch her personality grow and perhaps we will witness her embracing her "Female Warrior" within.

I will definitely recommend this book to others!

I do plan on reading the entire series so that all of my questions can be answered...like what is the purpose of her little Clockwork Angel. It attacked once and then disappeared for like 4 days after the attack, where did it go? And Will, which problem is he going to address with Magnus (by the way love seeing Magnus Bane in this book!)? I feel like an addict and I need my 2nd book fix!

message 5: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (cattymccat) At first I thought that it was pretty much a copy of City Of Bone, but as I got further & further into it, I loved it. The characters are amazing & I love the setting.

message 6: by Amanda A (last edited Oct 19, 2010 06:36AM) (new)

Amanda A (carolinabookworm) | 812 comments I really enjoyed Clockwork Angel. I have only read City of Bones from the Mortal Instruments series and I'm thinking about re-reading it before catching up with that series since this is a prequel. It was a little slow in the beginning, but once the action picked up it was very entertaining. I liked Tessa and Will ok. It will be interesting to see how their relationship develops in future books. One of my favorite characters was Jem. The author has said that the next book will be more Jem's book and I'm looking forward to seeing where that goes. I really hope he can be cured. I loved the setting and time period as well as the steampunk vibe in this book. I haven't read much in the steampunk genre, but I have really liked the couple of books that I have read so far.

I would recommend this book and plan to read the rest of this series. I'm interested to see how the questions left unanswered by the first book are resolved.

message 7: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments not looking up...... LOL! I need to read this book so I can chat with ya'll. Hope everyone liked it. :)

message 8: by Josie (last edited Oct 20, 2010 04:11AM) (new)

Josie | 1967 comments Well, I did like it but I expected to LOVE it, like Mortal Instruments.
I think my problem was that I didn't connect with the characters. For example, I didn't really like Will that much. I know everyone keeps comparing him to Jace and I tried not to but I couldn't help it. He had all of Jace's 'bad' qualities but none of the good!
I didn't really care that much for any of the characters. *spoiler just in case* When some of the characters died near the end, I didn't really care and when a certain character (whose name I've forgotten) died-but-was-really-knocked-out-or-something, I wasn't worried either way that she survived.
Ok, I'm kind of ranting about a book that I rated 4stars. It is good, just not brilliant.

Also, really need to add this, I know that England is known for its rain and we do have some miserable weather sometimes but it is not as bad as the book made out! London has about the warmest weather in England, the rain is mainly in the west country, up north and Scotland. My word, why on earth set your book in a place you obviously don't like. Not one positive thing about the country. I understand it's set in a time when London was probably all dirty and smoggy etc, but she travelled to London, meaning she must have seen other parts of England. Anyway, I'm going to stop now.

message 9: by Lara (new)

Lara (elbe) | 14 comments Josie - I totally agree....it was good, but not brilliant. I loved Mortal Instruments (even though I had to put the 1st one down for like an hour or so when the "brother/sister" issue arose :). I had a hard time getting into Will - he was definitely no Jace and his cruel moods were just such a turn-off. Still not sure on Tessa either. I liked her a bit more by the end of the book. Overall though it did intrigue me - I have a feeling this one has potential for becoming a truly excellent series.....and maybe a little tantalizing love triangle development???? Yeeeeeaaaah!!

message 10: by Shelleyrae (new)

Shelleyrae at Book'd Out | 346 comments I thought the first quarter was pretty ordinary as well, and I couldn't really relate to Tessa. But I really like the world and its creatures so I think I will pick up the next eventually.

message 11: by Miss (new)

Miss | 259 comments I loved the love triangle between Tessa, Will and Jem(he is my favourite character and I am so happy to read on this forum that the next book will be more about him). Will selfishness didn't bother me that much because the author hinted at some dark things in his past and I am sure he has his reasons, though I am really curious what those are and if they are valid enough to justify everything. I really did feel for Tessa towards the end, I feel she has grown and was a genuinely nice person although I'm still not sure why she was so special, but I guess that's why there are sequels, to clarify all those mysteries.
Did anyone else think the secret of the Magister was pathetic, it was really very easy to guess who he was. It's never the obvious choice in these books!
Needless to say I can't wait to see what happens next.:)

message 12: by Dru (new)

Dru (steensgirl) | 2 comments I sooo wanted to love Will. But he just kept making me angry!!!! Ah. But I still love him, of course. I was also upset that like the whole book talks about his "past" and we get nothing. nada. rien pas. I hope it's explained in the next book. I actually did like Tessa, I thought she had a good progression and wasn't like "No! Vampires and warlocks aren't real!!! I shall run away to prove it and get myself almost killed! OR Nooo! My life is a lie!!! Oh, dangrous mission. Yeah I totally know everything supernatural now." So I liked that. Will/Jem/Tessa triangle....did anyone get the sense that Tessa didn't really like Jem as more than a friend and just kinda turned to him when Will be being a jerk? I kept wanting (as stupid as it sounds) to think she just fell in love with both of them instantly (i don't know why). I also was driving myself crazy trying to think who in CA was related to people in MI, I'm getting there. I hope they expand Charlotte and Henrey's characters more, I liked them. I completly forgot about the Magister until after he was brought up again, but I wasn't really surprised who it really was. Nathaniel turning to the dark side was a good twist, but I wanted Tessa to get angry and all she said was "he's my brother," but then it kind of reminded me of Maia and her beautiful yet evil brother, and how Will was beautiful but dark and had things to hide like Magnus said. I am wating impatiently for the next book, grrr me and series have a love/hate relationship.