Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

General Discussion > Character names for baby names

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 225 comments My husband and I are having the hardest time coming up with a baby boy's name. I was wondering if you have read any books that you thought the characters name would be a good name in real life?

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Kolodziej (ejkolodziej) | 107 comments actually most names of characters in books come from baby name books. :0)

message 3: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 225 comments Yea but some of them are more unusual then others. Like Blaylock and Valek.

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 429 comments What are you having? I really like Katniss from the Hunger Games.

Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos) | 280 comments I always liked Cian (key + in)

message 6: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 225 comments A boy.

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 429 comments Ok, then forgye Katniss. What about Jericho from the fever series.

message 8: by Brenna (new)

Brenna Lyons (BrennaLyons) | 177 comments Kyler, Aidan, Talon, Ash, Tinne, Galon...uh...maybe not... Other little boys will make fun of that last one.

Brenna

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 737 comments I quite like Ash, Qhuinn, Tegan and Lucas

message 10: by Deanne (new)

Deanne | 209 comments I love Quinn,and Doyle!

message 11: by Gyn (new)

Gyn  (gynh) | 32 comments I like Drustan and Circenn from Karen Monongs Highlander books as well as Crispin from the night huntrews books.

message 12: by Catherine (new)

Catherine I agree that Aidan, Ash, Quinn, and Crispin are nice. I also like Connor.

message 13: by Desperado (new)

Desperado (lethallovely) | 453 comments Caelen! *bats lashes* Or Cadeon from the IAD series. Actually, I like alot of the guy names from that series. Very scottish.

message 14: by ஐAndreaஐ (new)

ஐAndreaஐ (rosesrrblue) | 707 comments Doyle?

I like Jerico, Jace, Dimetri. . .

message 15: by Deanne (new)

Deanne | 209 comments Doyle is from The Merry Gentry series by Laurell Hamilton

message 16: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 225 comments I like Crispin, but the fact that I seriously want to sleep with him would be disturbing to name my son that. lol My oldest sons name is Caden so some of those names are too close.

message 17: by Kristian (new)

Kristian Johnston | 11 comments I love Kaiden! =)

message 18: by Mhollie (new)

Mhollie | 176 comments How about Marshall.

message 19: by Abrown (new)

Abrown Brown (airportgirl1) | 50 comments How about Liam (Pride's Mate Jennifer Ashley). I have always loved that named!

message 20: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kellymcgrath) I always liked Caleb. A friend of my partner called her son that, well Caleb-George but just Caleb for short and I really liked it.

message 21: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 225 comments Abrown wrote: "How about Liam (Pride's Mate Jennifer Ashley). I have always loved that named!"

I like Liam, but my other son's name is Leland.

message 22: by Leigh (new)

Leigh (llogan24) I like Jasper.

message 23: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 225 comments I really like Adrian from the VA series, but my husband says no!

message 24: by Christine (new)

Christine Schulze | 8 comments Brenna wrote: "Kyler, Aidan, Talon, Ash, Tinne, Galon...uh...maybe not... Other little boys will make fun of that last one.

Brenna"

Lol, yes, too close to a gallon of milk. Although my first thought was "Ganon" from The Legend of Zelda. Wouldn't want that to get confused either... ^_^

message 25: by Christine (new)

Christine Schulze | 8 comments Rebecca wrote: "I really like Adrian from the VA series, but my husband says no!"

I LOVE Adrian. Perhaps because it is my boyfriend's middle name...

Also, Crispin, a name I used in a book once that means "Curly-haired". But I guess that could depend on how the kid looks.

Some other names I like include Aaron (or Aaryn), Eric. I like the Cian suggestion too. Also, Andrew, Dristann, Phillip, and Jewett come from books and are nice names.

message 26: by ஐAndreaஐ (new)

ஐAndreaஐ (rosesrrblue) | 707 comments I like Adrian too :)

message 27: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 2659 comments Mod
Ok, both of my grandkids names came from books. Joram and Caramon. But I'll warn you--they have major probs with people misspronouncing their names.

Having said that--how about Emerson? (From the Ameilia Peabody books Crocodile on the Sandbank) That's the younger one's middle name. The older one is Alexander (way too many books to pick out which one that came from.)

The funny thing is--one of my daughter's best friends from high school named her boys Alexander (called Xander for short) and Emerson too.

message 28: by Christine (new)

Christine Schulze | 8 comments The best vote so far is Adrian. You may need to re-persuade your husband... ^_^

message 29: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

No. They are 23 months apart. Which pleases the younger one a great deal. He was a preemie--but his DUE date was his big brother's birthday. But they look so much alike. In the last year or so, the younger one is starting to get taller than the older one by a couple of inches (enough that its obvious) but until that happened people always asked if they were identical twins.

The older one is always going to be shorter than the younger one. Caramon (oldest) was diagnosed with Wilms (kidney cancer) when 1.5 months before his 5th birthday. As a result, the dr's told us he'd be very short--they thought he might make it to 5'4 at the max. But he'll be 14 in Oct. and has been cancer free for years and is now considered "cured."

message 30: by twinfish2 (new)

twinfish2 | 84 comments I only had a daughter so the names I picked for boys never got used. They are Kelby and Grayson. I still love them but my child bearing years are over. Oh Kelby means concieved by the pond on the farm. I never looked up Grayson.

message 31: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 225 comments twinfish2 wrote: "I only had a daughter so the names I picked for boys never got used. They are Kelby and Grayson. I still love them but my child bearing years are over. Oh Kelby means concieved by the pond on the f..."

Grayson was one of the other names I liked and he said no. lol I need some way of letting him think he came up with the name.

message 32: by Sandra J (last edited Aug 29, 2010 06:24AM) (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 451 comments I was an elementary school teacher for 38 years. Be careful of choosing really "exotic" names, especially any that could be perceived to be feminine. The oddball spellings (not to mention the pronunciations) can make it hard on a child since he'll feel he has to explain/correct constantly. The kids in the classroom don't really care (usually-there's always one who's a pill about it), and the teacher quickly adapts. We used to make sure that the incoming teacher knew how to pronounce the unusual name before the first day of school. But don't be surprised if a nickname evolves that has little to do with the actual name.

message 33: by Irene (new)

Irene Hollimon | 182 comments mmm male characters in series I've liked: Eric, Ethan, Jace...

message 34: by twinfish2 (new)

twinfish2 | 84 comments Does he have any hobbies? Like fishing, hunting, Nascar, baseball, football etc. Maybe he is a fan of a certain driver in nascar like Kayne, or payton manning for football or many others. Also my niece and her husband are going back into their family trees and finding their mothers,grandmothers,great grandmothers maiden last names and using one of those for a first name. Like Tucker, James, Davis, Fisher, Beck etc. Good luck

message 35: by Yayanime (new)

Yayanime | 2 comments Quinn, Colton (nickname cole), Aiden, Liam, Uriah, Urik, Jace, Gale, Peeta, Christophe (Nick named chris), Giddeon, Lance, Dexter Nickname Dex, Gannon, Oliver (nick name ollie), im having a lot of trouble thinking of names of pnr characters on the spot.

message 36: by Carri (new)

Carri (carrifedor) I am very partial to the simpleness of Sam right now.

message 37: by MsBeaglely (last edited Sep 02, 2010 08:43AM) (new)

MsBeaglely | 118 comments While it was a character from a tv series & not a book, one of my brothers was actually named after Robbie from My Three Sons.

I agree you have to be careful of odd names, but you also don't want to choose a name that is extremely popular, which is what happened to me. My mother has an odd name & when she was a kid she could never find any of those silly personalized items with her name on it, so she named me Jennifer. It's just too bad that she choose such a popular name, that I wasn't able to get any of those personalized items either because they were always sold out. Plus, when I was in school, it always seemed that were no fewer than 3 Jennifers in my classes. To this day I HATE being called Jenny O.

message 38: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Jennifer--try being named ANN. That's a pernially popular name. ALWAYS a bunch of those, and in every age range.

message 39: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 451 comments I remember the year early on in my teaching career when I had five Susans in my room. That was interesting.

message 40: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

lol, my daughter had a sleep-over for her birthday one year back when she was in 3rd or 4th grade. It was 3 Jennifers, her (Jacalyn) and a Stephanie. The NEXT year, it was 3 Stephanies and a Jennifer. Sometimes having an "unusual" name is good, since you don't have to worry about catching the flack for someone else with your name.

message 41: by MsBeaglely (new)

MsBeaglely | 118 comments My mother's name is Bessie, she was named after her grandmother who had died at an early age in the 1920's. When she was in junior high one of her teachers was telling the students what their names were in Spanish. When she got to my mom, she told the class that the only Bessie she's ever heard of was Bessie the Cow. Needless to say neither my mom or my grandmother were not happy. I think that also played a part in my mother's decision to name me & my brothers popular names.

message 42: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 451 comments Bess is a nickname for Elizabeth. I'm surprised that teacher didn't know that. And she should never have told the class that. I'm sure your mother was mortified!

message 43: by MsBeaglely (new)

MsBeaglely | 118 comments My grandmother was furious & ended up calling the school. The school had the teacher apoligize, but it should never had happened in the first place.

message 44: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Hey, Bessie the Cow was VERY popular once upon a time. She was on lots of advertising, had her own commercials, the whole works. She was nicely dressed, even wore a pearl necklace. Um, ok, clearly I remember WAY too much trivia.

message 45: by Celine (new)

Celine | 82 comments I think Aiden is a great name, and I kind of like Kisten too.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Hey, Bessie the Cow was VERY popular once upon a time. She was on lots of advertising, had her own commercials, the whole works. She was nicely dressed, even wore a pearl necklace. Um, ok, clear..."

So she was a high dollar cow. Interesting.

message 47: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

yeah. I mean, for about 6 or 7 years when I was a kid you saw her EVERYWHERE. She stood on her back feet, had a figure that made Marilyn Monroe jealous, wore her pearls and dresses. The whole 9 yards.