Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Reading Challenges > Reading Challenges: What's the appeal?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 101 (101 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Alycia (new)

Alycia They are addicting and I love a challenge. I am guilty about constantly switching books for challenges, but that's half the fun and I love seeing what everyone else is reading. I like longer (time duration) challenges the best, so I don't stress so much about completing them.

message 2: by Jasmin (new)

Jasmin (princ3ssjasmin) I ♥ challenges because the categories give me variety on what to read. :)

message 3: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne I like challenges but not ones where I'm required to read alot of books in a short amount of time....I panic too much. At the moment I'm reading the Taboo Challenge which has a duration of 6 monthes and about 10 books. They can take you away from the books you normally read, I've read quite a few books I wouldn't have, Like 'Peyton Place'

Carol Cork *Young at Heart Oldie* (httpsrakesandrascalswordpresscom) Jasmin wrote: "I ♥ challenges because the categories give me variety on what to read. :)"

I agree with Jasmin and it also enables me to sample new authors.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Helps to organize my TBR list. I usually pick from books I have and am surprised when something comes up that I bought years ago and still haven't read! Challenges def. keep you motivated to finish, but I dont stress over not finishing. I like having goals.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) I just started doing challenges this year. They are a double-edged sword for me. I don't like preplanning my reading, and so there's pressure on me to read according to my challenge deadlines. But, at the same time, challenges have really helped me to adhere to my first in, first read priority, and read some books that have been sitting on my shelves way too long.

Ang -PNR Book Lover Reviews (pnrbookloverreviews) Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I just started doing challenges this year. They are a double-edged sword for me. I don't like preplanning my reading, and so there's pressure on me to read according to my challenge deadlines. But..."

I am with you on this 100%
i am the same way :D

message 8: by Mahyar (last edited Jul 09, 2010 06:34AM) (new)

Mahyar (themaninthegrayflannelsuit) | 14 comments I love challenges. Not only do they motivate me to read more, but also introduce me to new authors, genres or series. I do sometimes get obsessive, though. And honestly, I like to "jump into as many challenges as I can handle."

message 9: by Alycia (new)

Alycia Mahyar, I do the same thing, take on too many challenges :)

Kenjii, I have thought about organizing a shelf for challenge books, my shelves are getting hard to manage again.

Adrienne, I panic too on challenges, I like longer duration ones.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) Alycia, I started making challenge shelves. It seems to help.

message 11: by Alycia (new)

Alycia Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Alycia, I started making challenge shelves. It seems to help."

Do you make a different shelf for each challenge, or just 1 shelf where all challenge books go? I haven't started one yet because I don't know what would be the most helpful.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) I made different shelves for different challenges.

For example:

slightly more challenging-july

all things summer challenge

urban fantasy summer challenge

Does that make sense?

message 13: by Alycia (new)

Alycia Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I made different shelves for different challenges.

For example:

slightly more challenging-july

all things summer challenge

urban fantasy summer challenge

Does that make sense?"

Yes, that does and thanks.

message 14: by Katherine (new)

Katherine I enjoy challenges because it makes read books in different genres. I've been obsessed with Historical romance lately. I also learn about authors I have never read before. I like to throw in a classic ever so often as well. Challenges with longer duration are sometimes better for me also. I'm reading Atlas Shrugged right now for a bookclub and having a difficult time getting through. It's such a long book and it takes away from the things I really like to read.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) You're welcome, Alycia. I think challenges do help to get you out of your reading comfort zone sooner and more often.

message 16: by Alycia (new)

Alycia I agree, Danielle and Katherine. I do find new authors as well or get recommendations, or like you said Danielle, am pushed to try something new.

message 17: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 253 comments I enjoy the challenges for many reasons:
I like the challenge of finding a book for each task;
I like seeing what other people are reading, which gives me ideas for books for a task, and gets me encouraged to try an author new to me;
I'm goal-oriented but not single-minded, so I enjoy multiple challenges;
Left to myself, I tend to stick to a couple of favorite genres, so the challenges prod me into expanding my reading choices;
I enjoy the thrill of completing a challenge, and it's even more of a thrill when it's a not-so-easy challenge;
I love the conversations with other readers about books, authors, themes, characters in books, etc.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) I have to say I am turning into a bit of a Challenge junkie! I love them, I think that it makes me feel like I have acheieved somethign when I have finished a book lol.

I like that they make me look at normally the ridculously large TBR pile I have so that I can find books that I have been meaning to read and have forgotten about, and also a chance to see what other people are reading. I do plan out the books I am going to read for the challenge but they always seems to change depending on what I can actually get my hands on!

message 19: by Alycia (new)

Alycia Suzanne, I am a bit of a challenge junkie too. I always have my list ready to go at the beginning of a challenge but change depending on my mood

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) Yeah, that sounds familiar!

I have a spreadsheet on my computer so i can keep track, otherwise I would forget where I am! I know it is a little obsessive but I can't it, I am a junkie! lol

message 21: by Kim (new)

Kim (catmommie) I'm using challenges to go through my bins of books. Also, I'm too indecisive and challenges help me...sometimes. lol

I'm currently doing three challenges during 2010, and so far, I've got eight more books to go. Monthly challenges that pop up are too good to pass up, especially when they're fulfilled out of my stacks (um, 170ish?).

message 22: by Nancy (new)

Nancy  Hart (nancyhart) I'm new to this group but am always up for a challenge. I love to read all kinds of books and will always give any book a try. I'm currently reading The Girl Who Played with Fire but before I read the third of the trilogy I'll need to jump to a new genre. I think I'll really enjoy this group.

message 23: by Heather (new)

Heather T (horrorvacui000) Do I start with books from the beginning of this year for the level challenges? Or from the day I signed up?

message 24: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Hey Heather, for the level challenges you start listing the books that you read this year.

message 25: by Heather (new)

Heather T (horrorvacui000) Can do. Thank you.

message 26: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Your Welcome

message 27: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5147 comments I just think they're fun. Plus they usually inspire me to get out books I've had for a logn time and finally read them.

message 28: by Avigail (new)

Avigail (avigailr) Well I like challanges as well because all of the reasons that are messioned here.

message 29: by CaliGirlRae (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) | 2 comments I agree with everyone. Book challenges help me tackle reads in an organized manner so I can cut down on things I want to check out. Usually I go by mood but sometimes the challenges help. :-)

message 30: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5147 comments If anyone does paperbackswap-a challenge just started in the games forum called Serial Readers III. It's too late to join but I thought I'd mention it incase some people have been afraid to jump into any of the games there. So you can check it out and see how one of the challenge hostess' does them there.

message 31: by Angela (last edited Oct 03, 2010 06:27AM) (new)

Angela (angieerickson) | 338 comments Why do challenges appeal to me?

I love to create and organize lists and I love the feeling of completing a goal. With each book I read, I get a feeling of satisfaction. I guess I'm competitive by nature...which sometimes means I stay up for insane hours and read until I finish the book.

message 32: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 931 comments Angie, it is very satisfing! It's an accomplishment... especially if you had difficulties getting interested in the book.

message 33: by Storm (new)

Storm (stormgerlock) | 1 comments I love challenges, it gives me a reason to take some time everyday to read. It also gives me a break from my sometimes crazy college schedule. It's nice to have a goal.

message 34: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 4 comments I've only recently started doing these challenges, but I am enjoying them because it helps me decide what to read next. I have tons of books on my shelves, plus books on my nook, and this way I have a list for the challenges of what I need to read first. It has helped me get some books off the shelves that have been overlooked for awhile.

message 35: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 931 comments That's awesome Rachel!

message 36: by Robin (new)

Robin (ladybirdrobi) Hi everyone,
I think I stumbled upon this group by being interested in a contest. So I have never participated in a reading challenge that I am aware of, would someone like to explain what one is and what variety of challenges are up for someone like me to tryout.
I know that from my Loraleighchattersyahoogroup I have learned to write down what I have read, date and how I felt about it. I know that because of bad memory for me that that means alot of note keeping.
I like to have small challenges or goals to reach for because I am so limited in what I can do physically, emotionally and financially. But reading I can do and I try to do lots of it, It's just that this year started out bad and continues to get worse so I hope and pray that next year goes much better.

message 37: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. I sign up for way too many challenges, but I love them. I get most of my books from the library and I love that I can order books online and then pick them up when they come in. Saves me a lot of driving.

message 38: by Chelly (new)

Chelly (teamderek13) | 62 comments fantasy world is way better that the real one

message 39: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Chelsea wrote: "fantasy world is way better that the real one"

Sad, but it's true.

message 40: by Sashana (new)

Sashana niquae wrote: "I only started Reading Challenges this year, one at a forum I frequent (250 Books in One Year: July 31, 2010 to July 31, 2011) and now here at this group.

The former helped me start keeping track..."

Hopefully you'll like one of the challenges we have.We had a TBR challenge that you can still do if you like.

message 41: by Jex (new)

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments I like reading challenges mostly just to help me keep track of books I've read and see what others are reading in a new and fun way. I don't read nearly as much as a lot of people (in this group especially) but I still like to attempt the challenges. It makes me want to read more then I already do.

message 42: by AH (new)

AH | 68 comments Take a look at this link - Goodreads has a reading challenge as well. You can set your own target and it will keep track for you --

http://www.goodreads.com/challenges/2...

message 43: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Thanks for the link, AH.

message 44: by Sandysconnected (new)

Sandysconnected | 10 comments Challenges motivate me to do what I need to do, like find time for myself, reading a great book!

message 45: by Sashana (new)

Sashana A bonus to doing reading challenges is it forces you to go into your TBR list and read books that have been on there forever. For example, I'm doing the A Sign of Time Reading Challenge and I've read at least 3 books on my TBR list that I would've probably ignored.

message 46: by Jex (new)

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments Challenges push me to read more then I have been. With going to school I kind of fell out of reading unless it was boring text books. Since I started doing challenges I've read a ton more. I think I read more last month then I did most of last year (sad but true). I'm also addicted. I love lists and planning out things so planning for a challenge and being able to cross things off is incredibly fun for me.

message 47: by Jessica-Robyn (new)

Jessica-Robyn | 69 comments Over the past few years I've done yearly book lists challenging myself to read books from recommendation lists so I don't just pick up off the shelf. From there however with groups here on Good Reads I've been trying (and sometimes failing) to participate in more discussions. Reading challenges take me out of just reading book after book and gives me something to well, challenge myself with and keep from getting bored.

message 48: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (kristinalawhead) I agree with what a lot of people on here have said! It's really fun to plan out the lists, thats probably my favorite part. I also like discussing the books with other people and getting suggestions from them based off of similar books that they may have read for a challenge. I also like that doing these challenges makes me go through my to-read list and weeding some of them out. It also keeps me from being bored and also forces me to read outside my comfort zone, which is a really good thing! :)

message 49: by Lily (last edited Aug 30, 2011 05:31PM) (new)

Lily (lilithesque) I do not think challenges help me wittle down by tbr list. rather I keep adding to it based on others challenges. But challenges are a fun way to think about my books I have on my tbr pile, catagorize them, sort them, pile them, relish them and discuss them.

I am unsure why I am so attracted. One thing I have learned however is that I dont enjoy reading books that are not already attractive to me. Challenges that proscribe books I end up getting frustrated with or starting books I really am not that interested in and then I just dont read.

Anyway I have now been doing them fairly obsessively for a year plus and I still enjoy it as much as ever. I just am not in the rush I was at first and If I cant get into a book, I just set it aside and move on.

message 50: by Lisa Kay (last edited Aug 31, 2011 01:43AM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments I find I do use some books I have been meaning to get to. So, in that way it wittles down my tbr list. But then, I see all the pretty books other people put in their challenges and I want to buy those and add them to my tbr tower.

« previous 1 3