Start by marking “Brisingr (The Inheritance Cycle, #3)” as Want to Read:
Brisingr (The Inheritance Cycle, #3)

Brisingr

(The Inheritance Cycle #3)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  284,708 ratings  ·  8,933 reviews
Oaths sworn... loyalties tested... forces collide.

It's been only months since Eragon first uttered "brisingr", an ancient language term for fire. Since then, he's not only learned to create magic with words — he's been challenged to his very core. Following the colossal battle against the Empires warriors on the Burning Plains, Eragon and his dragon, Saphira, have narrowly
Hardcover, First Edition, 748 pages
Published September 20th 2008 by Alfred A. Knopf

To ask other readers questions about Brisingr, please sign up.
David This question is ridiculous. Goodreads averages ratings together for books this book that is the total average is a four.

As to why the front page is f…more

As to why the front page is full negative reviews is because people have clicked the liked button on those reviews the most. I think the reason why people do that is because these negative reviews of this book are generally better at supporting their opinion than the positive ones do. Most of the time, people who leave five or four stars really don't give compelling reasons as to why they thought that way. Other times, people who don't bother probably don't want to write a whole review.

Reviewing someone's book negatively doesn't make someone a bad person. It just simply means they didn't like the book and wanted to discuss why they didn't like it. (less)
Jenna At the beginning of Brisingr, there is a summary review of books 1 and 2. I think that would definitely have all the reviewed information you would ne…moreAt the beginning of Brisingr, there is a summary review of books 1 and 2. I think that would definitely have all the reviewed information you would need in order to continue on! It helped me a lot. :D(less)

·  284,708 ratings  ·  8,933 reviews

Start your review of Brisingr (The Inheritance Cycle, #3)
Miranda Reads
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
description
Absolutely brilliant!

There's something special about a series that you can read time and time again, and always come away with a new interpretation and sense of wonder.

One thing that hasn't changed (despite how many times I've read this series) is my complete and utter love for the world of Alegaesia.

We follow Eragon, once a simple farm boy, now a Dragon Rider and Alegaesia's only hope for freedom, as he fights for his country and against the evil emperor, Galbatorix.

Through Eragon's de
Alena
Oct 05, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: someone needing kindling to start a fire
For the love of all that is good and decent in the world, MAKE THE EXPOSITION STOP!!!

I didn't think it was possible for this series to get worse after Eldest. I was wrong. This book is nearly 800 pages of pointless adjectives, with perhaps six pages' worth of plot... most of which is just review (described in *excruciating* detail) from the previous books.

Don't waste your time or money... unless you really need a cure for insomnia.
Jedidiah
Mar 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. I wish it was longer. Amazing!
Swankivy
Oct 02, 2008 rated it did not like it
Ahmad Sharabiani
Brisingr (The Inheritance Cycle, #3), Christopher Paolini

Brisingr or, The seven promises of Eragon Shadeslayer and Saphira Bjartskular, c 2008.

Brisingr is the third novel in the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini. It was released on September 20, 2008.

Brisingr focuses on the story of Eragon and his dragon Saphira as they continue their quest to overthrow the corrupt ruler of the Empire, Galbatorix.

Eragon is one of the last remaining Dragon Riders, a group that governed the fictional nati
✨ A ✨
“If you wish to be happy,Eragon, Think not of what is to come nor of that which you have no control over but rather of the now and that which you are able to change”

Re-read

SPOILERS FOR ERAGON (book 1) and ELDEST (book 2) BELOW ⤵

The war against Galbatorix and his empire has begun. The Varden, the elves, the dwarves, the people of Surda and all those fighting for their freedom are counting on Eragon and Saphira to defeat the evil king. They have brought hope to all those who dare defy Galbatorix
Lauren
Feb 08, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fantasy lovers, Star Wars fans, Lord of the Rings fans, Tamora Pierce fans
So, I was a little disappointed with this third installment of Paolini's Inheritance "Cycle" now - since he changed the game and made this a 4 book series instead of 3, as it was originally intended.

The story was good and what I have come to expect from this series. But honestly, it did not have to be 748 pages long. I understand the author's desire to flesh out his characters, but the way that he kept going back and forth between the different characters I found annoying. The descriptions of th
Trina (Between Chapters)
If you want a story with awesome dragons and magic, this is a series to check out! I listened to this on audio and it was SO engaging. This book had a lot of action sequences, as well as many moments that were packed with emotion. What a great blend! Uhnnn, I just love it.
Bibiana
Sep 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
I just completed reading Brisingr, and I must say that I was very impressed with the plot!

To compress all of my thoughts and the plot in to only one word, this has to be it - Unpredictable.

Certain events that happened in the book really took me by surprise and I have to applaud Christopher Paolini to even think about such a complex plot. I could hardly guess what might happen in the next few pages, and the only way for me to find out was to keep my head buried deep within its depth.

Seriously, an
Rebecca Honeycutt
Is it just me, or is this series on a serious downward spiral? Eragon was uninventive but entertaining; Eldest was a bit of slog, but pulled through in the end; Brisingr, however, just left me exhausted and annoyed. At least half of this novel could have be edited out, and as with the previous two books, Paolini seems more interested in showing off his vocabulary (both English and invented) and in delivering lengthy, detailed battle scenes than in telling a compelling story.
Min
May 27, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, fiction, ya
I'm sure I'll get hate comments for this rating. But I just was bogged down by Paolini's formal and dry descriptive text. Maybe I'm just too far removed from the other books these years later. I really liked the first two, I just couldn't get into this one. I feel like the story just sort of meanders around.

(SPOILER ALERT) The wedding scene was particularly terrible. It was so long and drawn out. I don't like to go to long drawn out weddings in real life. Reading one was that much worse. (END S
Charlotte May
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Whilst I've been going through the Inheritance Series I must admit I've struggled and have thought about putting them down on more than one occasion.
However as I've pushed myself through i'm so glad that I did - the world that Paolini has created is absolutely incredible, I feel transported to a world of dragons, magic and ancient lore, its astounding to think that Paolini wrote Eragon when he was only 15!
I have been blown away by the depth of the storylines, descriptions of the scenery and the
Hasham Rasool
I really like this book a lot. Alhamdulillah.

I thought 'Brisingr' is a lot better than 'Eldest'.

Paolini is a good author.

Oromis, Glaedr and Angela are one of my favourite characters.
Kenchiin
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
By far my favorite of the tetralogy. Paolini allows his characters to grow within the story in a very crafted yet natural way.
There is still plenty of irrelevant verbiage, but at this point I already got used to it.
Mel
Jul 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
This series keeps getting better and better! i think what makes this series so enjoyable for me is the fact that I love the narrator in the audiobooks. I feel like if I didn't have that like for him I might not enjoy the books as much but I love them dearly.

The world this author has created is so intricate and detailed and every character is so well written and developed that I applaud his writing.

I think Eldest is still my favourite so far of the 3 I've read, but I really enjoyed Brisingr.

(vi
Leona  Petrovic
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous ♥
Kassandra
Nov 24, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people who come up with names for prescription drugs,collectors of little glass dragons
This book should be called Blahsingr because all it is is 800 pages of Blah Eragon, blah Roran, blah Arya, blah Orik, blah Galbatorix (which I'm certain is a new prescription drug for indigestion), blah, blah, blah.

We all know Paolini killed his trilogy by turning it into a "cycle" but making us read through another 784 pages after his horrific second book, Eldest, was grounds for banishment to the Empire's dungeons.

The book basically had no plot, just a bunch of diversions to keep you reading
Sep 26, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
I give up. I've spent two weeks trying to get through this 700-page snoozefest and I'm still completely uninterested in what happens next. I can muster more enthusiasm for the third season of 'Rock of Love.'

To be fair, I've never been ecstatic about the Inheritance trilogy (although I think there's going to be one more book because 700 pages just wasn't long enough). Eragon was a pleasant enough, if unoriginal, story, made more impressive because of Paolini's young age. (Heck, when I was 15, I w
Colleen Houck
I was glad that Chris Paolini ended up spliting this book in two because I didn't want Eragon's adventure to finish. I felt like all the characters moved forward in their development and that Eragon finally came into his own as a dragon rider. Fantastic. I highly recommend this book.
Exina
Feb 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars
Zachhg
Oct 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Aaron
Dec 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Finally, this series has given me a novel that I have enjoyed every part of. I consider it the darkest of the three novels, as Eragon realizes what a dire situation he has placed himself in, and the slim chance that he might succeed in his mission to free the citizens from the tyrannical rule of King Galbatorix. This book finally brings its characters and its plot back down to Earth, and although the novel still thrives off fantasy, and now possesses a sense of reality to it.
This book has give
Leia
Sep 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this, the penultimate installment of the Inheritance Cycle, though it does sadden me to remember the end is near. Eragon's slow transformation from simple yet inquisitive farmboy to the last free Dragon Rider is a joy to read, and I relished every insignificant detail. Roran, who shocked me with his strength and fortitude in Eldest, continues on his path to becoming a brilliant military strategist and leader, all the while leaving his heart with his beloved Katrina. Murtagh. ...more
Adam
Sep 21, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy, ya
No offense to those of you who liked this book. I had a really, really hard time getting through this one. I thought the first book of the series was neat cause it was written by a kid, but sadly, Paolini's story telling ability hasn't grown an iota.

Why did Paolini have to make this a four book series. He easily could have taken the 35 pages of actual plot from this book and prepended it to the beginning of the next book. The pace of this book was excruciating.

Does there really have to be thre
Cindy
Nov 24, 2008 rated it did not like it
Wow. Before anyone comments, I was a HUGE fan of the first book. Second book I thought was alright. This book sucked so bad. Between the terrible writing and the grammar and the fact that it was 800 pages of how long Paolini can babble about nothing and still keep an following.

The reason for the 4th book was this was for character development? What character development, the characters are more one sided then ever. You can almost predict what they will do before they do it because they are just
Amber J
I try to express only my most honest opinion in a spoiler-free way. If you feel anything in my review is a spoiler and is not already hidden in spoiler brackets please let me know. Thank you.

So I have been listening to the audio of this book on and off for a long time now. I use to love this series, but it's just not holding up to my expectations anymore. It just feels like nothing but politics, never-ending talking and speeches, and long almost pointless battles. I am hoping the fourth book is
Courtney ♡ librarycutie
Mar 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, audiobooks, fantasy
this was better than eldest, but still had some parts that had me bored + wanting it to get on with the interesting parts. i also found out a lot of important information in this book as well as we had a lot more fights and battles! i might be on the unpopular opinion side but i’m not a fan of roran, is that how you spell it (listening to the audiobooks). i’ve just had this feel about him since we were first introduced to his character and he has a “i’m better than you” vibe about him and i get ...more
Laura Baugh
Oct 08, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommended to Laura by: Markdc
Shelves: fiction, not-finished
Really, how much phenomenal cosmic power, gleaming musculature, purring voice, and natural musk that drives women wild are we supposed to take? And our Strong Female Leader can have her decision swayed by a eyebrow twitch from our Sexy Magically Powered Hero....

I will probably never know how this book ends.
amber
Mar 01, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ya
Wow. This one was really bad. As he's aged, Paolini;s writing has gotten worse. It's almost 800 pages of drivel. I feel like Paolini recently studied for the GRE and he's showing off the new words he learned. It was just really bad.
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by The Compulsive Reader for TeensReadToo.com

Eragon and Saphira have just barely survived the latest battle between the Empire and Varden, and learned the truth about Eragon's parentage. Their encounter with Murtagh and Thorn has made them realize that they desperately need to revisit their teachers in Ellesmera, but their multitudes of promises keep them from returning. They must help Roran recover Katrina from the Ra'zac, rally forces for the Varden, and find a way to thwart Murtagh.

• Eragon
  • The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2)
  • The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings, #3)
  • The Chronicles of Narnia (Chronicles of Narnia, #1-7)
  • The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #5)
  • Inkheart (Inkworld, #1)
  • Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6)
  • The Ruins of Gorlan (Ranger's Apprentice, #1)
  • The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2)
  • Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4)
  • Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter, #5)
  • Artemis Fowl (Artemis Fowl, #1)
  • The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #3)
  • The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #4)
  • Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3)
  • Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2)
  • Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3)
  • Prince Caspian (Chronicles of Narnia, #2)
Christopher Paolini was born on November 17, 1983 in Southern California. He has lived most of his life in Paradise Valley, Montana with his parents and younger sister, Angela. The tall, jagged Beartooth Mountains rise on one side of Paradise Valley. Snowcapped most of the year, they inspired the fantastic scenery in the Inheritance Cycle.

Christopher is grateful to all his readers. He is especiall

The Inheritance Cycle (4 books)
  • Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle, #1)
  • Eldest (The Inheritance Cycle, #2)
  • Inheritance (The Inheritance Cycle, #4)