Comfort Reads discussion

Chick Lit > ... with a Brit Wit twist?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 102 (102 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Maria (last edited Aug 02, 2010 07:51PM) (new)

Maria | 117 comments Hi everyone - This is my first post! I'm seeking recommendations for an easy read, but still with substance. I like Chick Lit and, what I've termed, Brit Wit (British writers who are gifted with a humorous turn of phrase). For example, I have liked Anna Maxted's books -- she's a Brit, her books are witty, and although easy to read they usually pull in one serious subject and are "smart." I also love old-fashioned Brit writing, like Nancy Mitford (I highly recommend "The Pursuit of Love" and "Love in a Cold Climate"). Cheers!Anna MaxtedNancy Mitford

message 2: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks What about Bridget Jones's Diary and Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason? They are both chick-lit and witty (I usually don't go for chick lit, but found these excellent).

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I just read Hasty Death and the 3 in the series after it. They were a lot of fun.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I also recommend Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Hi Maria. Welcome to the group! I hope that you get some interesting book recommendations from our members.

message 6: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

Lee (leekat) | 3959 comments Mod
Hi Maria, welcome to the group! What a great way to introduce yourself, I love the name of the thread.

message 7: by Mary (new)

Mary | 245 comments Hi Maria. I recommend Major Pettigrew's Last Stand (no relation to Miss Pettigrew!!)

message 8: by Gabriele (new)

Gabriele Wills (muskoka) | 178 comments I'm enjoying Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella.

I like Nancy Mitford's books as well, Maria, and find it interesting how much she used her family and friends as the basis for her characters.

message 9: by Maria (new)

Maria | 117 comments Gundula wrote: "What about Bridget Jones's Diary and Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason? They are both chick-lit and witty (I usually don't go for chick lit, but found these excellent)."

Read those, and others by Helen Fielding. Liked them lots.

message 10: by Maria (last edited Aug 02, 2010 07:52PM) (new)

Maria | 117 comments Gabriele wrote: "I'm enjoying Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella.

I like Nancy Mitford's books as well, Maria, and find it interesting how much she used her family and friends as the bas..."

Gabrielle, have you read the biography "The Sisters: The Saga of the Mitford Family" by Mary S. Lovell? If you are interested in the family, you'll like this. Very interesting.The Sisters: The Saga of the Mitford Family

message 11: by Maria (new)

Maria | 117 comments Jeannette wrote: "I also recommend Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day."

owwww, that's looks promising!

message 12: by Gabriele (new)

Gabriele Wills (muskoka) | 178 comments Maria wrote: "Gabriele wrote: "I'm enjoying Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella.

I like Nancy Mitford's books as well, Maria, and find it interesting how much she used her family and..."

Yes, Maria, I have. Fascinating! What a family!!!!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Maria wrote: "Jeannette wrote: "I also recommend Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day."

owwww, that's looks promising!"

The movie is a lot of fun, too, even if it is a bit different.

message 14: by Maria (new)

Maria | 117 comments I love all the recommendations! Here's another of my own -- If you like Elizabeth Barrett Browning, you may find Lady's Maid: A Novel interesting. The author imagined what it would be like to be Browning's lady's maid.

message 15: by Lance (last edited Aug 31, 2010 02:12AM) (new)

Lance Greenfield (lancegreenfieldmitchell) | 697 comments Hi Maria.

These are not Chick Lit, but they are Brit Wit, and I am certain that you will enjoy them.

Barcelona Plates by Alexei Sayle
Walter Minion's Therapy by Pat O'Connor
Walter Minion's Secret Life by Pat O'Connor

Out of these three, "Therapy" is my favourite. The whole concept is just so appealing. It is almost worth going crazy for!

Have fun!

Lance

message 16: by Maria (new)

Maria | 117 comments Thanks very much, Lance!

message 17: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (eclecticreading) Jeannette wrote: "I also recommend Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day."

I read this book this past summer and absolutely loved it! Left a smile on my face when I finished it xD

Gundula wrote: "What about Bridget Jones's Diary and Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason? They are both chick-lit and witty (I usually don't go for chick lit, but found these excellent)."

I have to say that both Bridget Jones novels are my favourite in the chick lit genre; I love the way she explains certain instances and some scenes had me laughing out loud (which is rare; I have a very quirky/strange/dry sense of humour)

message 18: by Maria (new)

Maria | 117 comments Li wrote: "Jeannette wrote: "I also recommend Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day."

I read this book this past summer and absolutely loved it! Left a smile on my face when I finished it xD

Gundula ..."

Yes, Li, Bridget Jones is laugh-out-loud funny!

message 19: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Maria wrote: "Li wrote: "Jeannette wrote: "I also recommend Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day."

I read this book this past summer and absolutely loved it! Left a smile on my face when I finished it..."

I found the books better than the movies, although I did enjoy the first one (the sequel, though, was really disappointing).

message 20: by Maria (new)

Maria | 117 comments Gundula wrote: "Maria wrote: "Li wrote: "Jeannette wrote: "I also recommend Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day."

I read this book this past summer and absolutely loved it! Left a smile on my face when I..."

Gundula, I agree the books were better, simply because the movie could not cover all the subplots with Bridget and her friends. When her guy friend "goes missing," that is the funniest part of the book, I thought. But, the movie was very good. I was surprised that Renee Zellweger could pull it off. But, who doesn't love a movie with Colin Firth???

message 21: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Maria wrote: "Gundula wrote: "Maria wrote: "Li wrote: "Jeannette wrote: "I also recommend Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day."

I read this book this past summer and absolutely loved it! Left a smile..."

Unfortunately, because Colin Firth the actor is an actual character in the second book, that amazingly funny interview Bridget Jones had with him could simply not have been put in the movie (that just would not have worked, it would have been too, too strange). I love Colin Firth as an actor (I have seen the BBC Pride and Prejudice mini-series more than I care to admit), but I did miss that interview, it was just so weirdly funny, so Bridget Jones.

message 22: by Maria (new)

Maria | 117 comments Gabriele wrote: "Maria wrote: "Gabriele wrote: "I'm enjoying Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella.

I like Nancy Mitford's books as well, Maria, and find it interesting how much she used he..."

I just bought 2 more Nancy Mitford books at the bookstore! The Blessing and Wigs on the Green! I am so excited to find them, and look forward to reading and chuckling .....

message 23: by Maria (new)

Maria | 117 comments Well, Mitford's Wigs on the Green (her first novel) does not get the high marks I gave The Pursuit of Love and Love in a Cold Climate. Where TPOL and LIACC were subtle and nuanced in their humor, Wigs on the Green was like a hammer on the head .... no subtlety at all, very heavy-handed with its messages. While there were funny bits, it really wasn't WITTY, which is what I so admired about TPOL and LIACC.

message 24: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

That's too bad you were disappointed in Wigs on the Green Maria but I guess it's a good thing that she progressed as a writer.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I like Norah Lofts. Some of her books are very relaxing for me but others are very scary.

Afternoon of an Autocrat
Norah Lofts

message 26: by Lee, Mod Mama (last edited Feb 25, 2011 09:08AM) (new)

I don't often read chick lit but I picked this book up at the library on a whim because I like vintage clothing. It was actually pretty good and I read it in all one sitting. The focus of the story is not on romance but forgiveness and healing. I found it a moving and not too heavy read. I think quite a few of our members would like this one!

A Vintage Affair

message 27: by Kathryn (last edited Feb 25, 2011 10:01AM) (new)

Kathryn | 375 comments Great thread! I, too, love these sorts of books :-)

For modern stuff, check out a few of Katie Fforde's earlier books like Second Thyme Around and, my favorite, Stately Pursuits. They are a bit more "cozy" than "witty" but still interesting and fun.

I also love Hester Browne and her The Little Lady Agency was one of my favorite books last year.

I second the Sophie Kinsella recommendation, too.

For older books, have you tried Mapp and Lucia books? The one I read was fun/witty. Miss Mapp

And, well, I love Agatha Christie; some of her books (like the first books in the Tommy and Tuppence series) aren't dark/heavy but are more fun/witty with some romance but also with the mystery to keep you on your toes ;-) The Secret Adversary

I'll see what else I can think of and will be back to this thread to see what others suggest and get some new ideas for my own reading stack!

message 28: by Maria (new)

Maria | 117 comments Kathryn wrote: "Great thread! I, too, love these sorts of books :-)

For modern stuff, check out a few of Katie Fforde's earlier books like Second Thyme Around and, my favorite, Stately Pursui..."</i>

Thank you, Kathryn, for such a thoughtful post. I will be looking into the Lucia and Mapp series, for sure! I just added the first in the series to my "to read" list. [book:Queen Lucia

message 29: by Maria (new)

Maria | 117 comments Lady Lavender wrote: "I like Norah Lofts. Some of her books are very relaxing for me but others are very scary."

Lady - which ones are the relaxing ones? I want to avoid the scary! ;-)

message 30: by Maria (new)

Maria | 117 comments Picked up this one up at the local library book sale. Has anyone read it? The Little Girls

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Maria wrote: "Lady Lavender wrote: "I like Norah Lofts. Some of her books are very relaxing for me but others are very scary."

Lady - which ones are the relaxing ones? I want to avoid the scary! ;-)"

I just posted this request on Fans of Norah Lofts to get them to help me as my brain suddenly went blank. I know you will want to avoid Gad's Hall and The Haunting of Gad's Hall, also Afternoon of an Autocrat. You might like The Concubine about Anne Boleyn altho it is so sad. The Lost Queen is also sad. I would say the Suffolk trilogy might be good. Its adventure but not too scary. There is a slight edge of the supernatural in many Norah Lofts books. Start out with The Longest Furrow or is it The Homecoming. Please join Fans of Norah Lofts and you can read over the list to get a better idea. I often get the trilogy out of order.
I also think The Town House is a relaxing read. Its also part of a trilogy.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Maria wrote: "Picked up this one up at the local library book sale. Has anyone read it? The Little Girls"

I read some of the reviews and someone posted that it is very sad? Did you find it to be so?

message 33: by Maria (new)

Maria | 117 comments Finally, a book to add here! I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith "I Capture the Castle" by Dodie Smith. Entertaining story of a young girl's "coming of age" while living with her nutty English family in a decrepit castle. Not Wodehouse or Mitford witty, but some witty moments. Definitely qualifies as a comfort read.
Aside: Before I picked this book up, I did not know that Dodie Smith is the author of The Hundred and One Dalmations.

message 34: by Maria (new)

Maria | 117 comments Lady Alice wrote: "Maria wrote: "Picked up this one up at the local library book sale. Has anyone read it? The Little Girls"

I read some of the reviews and someone posted that it is very sad? Did ..."

Lady Alice - Did you see my review? I couldn't get through the book, try as I might. The language was just sooooooooo muuuuuucccchh. I finally didn't care what the big mystery was at the end. So, sorry, I can't tell you if is sad or not. .... Wait a minute, I CAN say it made ME pretty sad! LOL!

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Maria wrote: "Finally, a book to add here! I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith "I Capture the Castle" by Dodie Smith. Entertaining story of a young girl's "coming of age" while living with her nutty English..."

Wonderful book, Maria! The movie is good, too.

message 36: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Jeannette wrote: "Maria wrote: "Finally, a book to add here! I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith "I Capture the Castle" by Dodie Smith. Entertaining story of a young girl's "coming of age" while living with her..."

I have not seen the movie, nor have I read the book (something I definitely need to do, I do have a copy of the book somewhere, I think).

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

You definitely should read the book. I think you might enjoy it.

message 38: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Jeannette wrote: "You definitely should read the book. I think you might enjoy it."

I think I will, once I have cleared some of my currently reading list, ha, ha, ha.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

There's always next year! lol

message 40: by Catherine (last edited Sep 15, 2011 04:19PM) (new)

Catherine | 23 comments Maria wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "Great thread! I, too, love these sorts of books :-)

For modern stuff, check out a few of Katie Fforde's earlier books like Second Thyme Around and, my favorite, [b..."

Maria,
I am new here..but I saw you like British humour...how about Jill Mansell...she has several books I have read..also..Hugh Laurie "The Gunseller", and Holly Denham "Holly's Inbox"..

also...if you ever read James Herriot, you might like Patrick Taylor...he writes in exactly the same style..."Irish Country Doctor"

message 41: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 23 comments Lance Greenfield wrote: "Hi Maria.

These are not Chick Lit, but they are Brit Wit, and I am certain that you will enjoy them.

Barcelona Plates by Alexei Sayle
Walter Minion's Therapy by Pat O'Connor
Walter Minion's..."

Lance,

are the 2 by Pat O'Connor a series? I might check them out!

message 42: by Maria (new)

Maria | 117 comments Catherine wrote: "Maria wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "Great thread! I, too, love these sorts of books :-)

For modern stuff, check out a few of Katie Fforde's earlier books like Second Thyme Around and, my ..."

Hi Catherine. Thanks for the suggestions! I will look up those authors. As for James Herriot, I cannot read his animal books because I cry when animals are hurt or die!! My husband loves the books, and says they are heartwarming.... but for me, I can't do it. :-)

message 43: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 23 comments Maria wrote: "Catherine wrote: "Maria wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "Great thread! I, too, love these sorts of books :-)

For modern stuff, check out a few of Katie Fforde's earlier books like [book:Second Thyme Aro..."

but they are very heartwarming, and funny. I don't remember anything really sad happening in them, just day to day stuff...try the first one...see what you think... I know...I am a tech at an animal hospital..I see the heart-breaking stuff all the time...like today. but James Herriot doesn't really put alot of sad stuff about the animals in..if I remember correctly.

Patrick Taylor..he is a human doctor, not a vet,..but the wruiting style is very similar

message 44: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 23 comments Maria wrote: "Thanks very much, Lance!"

Hi Maria..
Matt Dunn...just read The Ex-Boyfriend's Handbook...hysterical
how about the Gemma Doyle series...it's more children's lit/young adult, but it takes palce in Victorian times.

message 45: by Maria (new)

Maria | 117 comments Catherine wrote: Hi Maria..
Matt Dunn...just read The Ex-Boyfriend's Handbook...hysterical
how about the Gemma Doyle series...it's more children's lit/young adult, but it ta..."

Anything with the name Gemma is for me! My 6-month-old daughter is named Gemma. :-)
I'll also look up "Ex" -- thanks!!

message 46: by Maria (new)

Maria | 117 comments Lee wrote: "I don't often read chick lit but I picked this book up at the library on a whim because I like vintage clothing. It was actually pretty good and I read it in all one sitting. The focus of the sto..."

I finally read this one (Vintage Affair). I really liked it. I describe it overall as a "lovely" book. It was not "witty" as in humorous (and, indeed, has serious storylines), but it was a lovely English setting. I loved the main character and the circle of secondary characters were all believable. The descriptions of the clothes were great ... I want to go vintage shopping now! Oh, I like the romance which was truly "romantic" rather than "wham bam thank you sir."

message 47: by Maria (new)

Maria | 117 comments Catherine wrote: "Maria wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "Great thread! I, too, love these sorts of books :-)

For modern stuff, check out a few of Katie Fforde's earlier books like Second Thyme Around and, my ..."

Holly's Inbox is on my to-read list!!!

message 48: by K, (new)

K, Nz | 7 comments I like Katie Fforde's books as well, a light, amusing read. The later ones in the 'Charlie Fox' series I find have clever one-liners, though they are mystery/thriller so perhaps not what you are looking for - though definitely Brit Wit in my opinion...
http://www.goodreads.com/series/50734...

message 49: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

Maria, I'm glad you enjoyed A Vintage Affair! It was lovely.

message 50: by Maria (new)

Maria | 117 comments I am starting Nancy Mitford's The Blessing. She wrote this one after Love In A Cold Climate, which I loved. So far, two chapters in, it has the WIT that I enjoyed .... fingers crossed!

« previous 1 3