Start by marking “Mad About the Boy (Bridget Jones, #3)” as Want to Read:
Mad About the Boy (Bridget Jones, #3)

Mad About the Boy

(Bridget Jones #3)

3.35  ·  Rating details ·  46,243 ratings  ·  5,898 reviews
Bridget Jones is back!

Great comic writers are as rare as hen's teeth. And Helen is one of a very select band who have created a character of whom the very thought makes you smile. Bridget Jones' Diary, charting the life of a 30-something singleton in London in the 1990s was a huge international bestseller, published in 40 countries and selling over 15 million copies worldw
Published October 15th 2013 by Knopf Canada

To ask other readers questions about Mad About the Boy, please sign up.
J.C. Starling
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  46,243 ratings  ·  5,898 reviews

Start your review of Mad About the Boy (Bridget Jones, #3)
Heddus Blackwell
Nov 13, 2013 rated it did not like it
Number of days expected to take to read this book: 1, number of days actually took to read this book: 9, number of times expected to be able to put down this book: 0, number of times actually put down this book: 100+
I loved Bridget Jones; I avidly read the weekly column before the books came out and excitedly awaited the release of the third book. As all fans are aware, Bridget's appeal was that women, whatever their background, could identify with her. Sadly, this is no longer the case: she is
Mimi
Nov 01, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: trying-to-forget
Dear Ms. Fielding,

I want to erase this book from my memory. I read it, and, despite the plot, the scenes are good, the writing is fine, funny, and sometimes sad. But, the premise that (view spoiler)

I don't think you understand the app
Kay
After hearing what the book is supposed to be about and the direction it's supposed to go in,

description
Joanna
Oct 16, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: austenalia, 2013
Time spent looking forward to new Bridget Jones book: Months!
Time spent reading new Bridget Jones book: 2 days
Time spent being disappointed in new Bridget Jones book: rest of life, approx.

(view spoiler)
Diane
Jun 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
When I heard that Helen Fielding had written a third book about Bridget Jones, I was a bit perplexed because I wasn't sure whether the quirky antics of the scattered, 30-something Bridget would still be amusing in a 50-something mother. But it was surprisingly fun to read about her adventures in dating and parenthood. The book made me laugh out loud several times, and I often found myself smiling while I read.

The novel opens with Bridget excited about dating a younger man and writing a screenpla
Ahmad Sharabiani
Mad About the Boy (Bridget Jones #3), Helen Fielding

Bridget Jones, a thirty-something single working woman living in London. She writes about her career, self-image, vices, family, friends, and romantic relationships.

Mad About the Boy (2013), is a different phase in Bridget's life, with an entirely new scenario. As Helen Fielding has said: "If people laugh as much reading it as I am while writing it then we'll all be very happy."

تاریخ نخستین خوانش: روز بیست و دوم ماه سپتامبر سال 2015 میلادی

عنوان
Cath
Jul 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
I preordered it! So excited. It's ridiculous how people judge the book without reading it... The ratings should be blocked until the release...

I just read it! I love that Bridget still is the same beloved and funny Bridget we met before. I enjoyed her toy boy adventure, I really love the character of Billy and I think the ending didnt disappoint!

Its funny, exciting and so easy to read. Really enjoyable.
Fabian
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
No, not as disappointing as celebrity writer Stephen King's newer sequel, "Dr. Sleep." But boy does the minutiae build up quickly to a bunch of nothingness-- not even contemporary British stuff is of any interest here. No, but Fielding SHOULD be commended for killing off a perennial favorite, vaulting our cute Brit into the world of dating once more. Why, oh why is Jonesey such a fan of Twitter & texting? Could you make her any less... generic? Even her likability factor suffers considerably.

Th
Dina
Oct 05, 2013 marked it as to-avoid
Shelves: chick-lit
You've got to be kidding me! (view spoiler) Even though I'm not a fan of the previous BJ books - the movies are much better, which is an anomaly -, they were certainly a must-read in the late 90s, I'll give you that. But this one... WTF?!? ...more
Kate Hilton
Nov 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
**Spoiler Alert

Rarely have a seen a set of reviews as inconsistent as those for Helen Fielding's latest installment in the Bridget Jones saga, Mad About the Boy. I assume that much of the hostility derives from Fielding's decision to do away with the beloved Mark Darcy in a horrible accident, and to set the novel at a point in time five years later, when Bridget is beginning to recover from the shock of her grief. This is not classic chick lit in the manner of the original two Bridget Jones nove
Karen Chadwick
Oct 17, 2013 rated it did not like it
I found the endless text speak, twittering etc very, very annoying and incredibly difficult to read, quite frankly I felt it was a lazy way of writing, and a means of padding.
Bridget's character (in this book) is completely unbelievable, very immature and totally one dimensional.
Extremely poor characterisation, and with an underdeveloped paper thin plot.
Maybe this is a minor niggle, but I found the name "Roxter" to be the literary equivalent of nails down a blackboard.
Helen Fielding now says tha
Charlie Darcy
Oct 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: those who are not too emotionally involved with Mark Darcy
I wasn't going to read this book. (view spoiler) However, as release date neared, I found myself (view spoiler)

I'm sad to say that I didn't enjoy it as a book. I admit I'd gone into it with the above reservations, however, I did at
Sharon
Dec 05, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
Diabolical.

Lovable, cuddly, foot-in-mouth, just-the-way-you-are Bridget is long gone. In her place is a 51 year old widow obsessed with finding a man (yes, still,- and while we're on the subject, what kind of a name is Roxster?!), losing weight (yes, still, - a referral to an obesity clinic at a size 14? Really Helen? Way to relate to a huge chunk of your original fans there...) and booze (mouthful of wine in the middle of a children's diarrhea/vomit incident? Really?)

As for "hilarious" - if you
D
Nov 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: fans of the Bridget series who are feeling forgiving
high 2s

a moderate disappointment. at times fielding really brings it (exploring grief and loss), and seeing the adult incarnations of bridget's pack of besties makes me smile. but mostly i was fatigued by our hapless heroine: the neuroses that used to seem charming just come off as ridiculous in a woman of her age. her self-sabotage, narcissism, and failure to launch were cringingly Rorschachian as i read her in my twenties. but she's fifty-one now, and she simply comes off as sad and unhinged.
Rache
Oct 16, 2013 rated it did not like it
Gahhhhh, Gahhhhh and more damn Gahhhhhhhhhh

Let me preface my thoughts by saying that I'm going to pretend this book was never written, swiftly returning to a sweeter time when I believed that our gentle heroine received the happy ending she deserved from the end of book 2.

I would like to start every sentence with 'the very cheek' and 'how dare you' whilst making sweeping arm gestures but I don't want to continually repeat a theme, unlike a certain English Novelist that we all know.

Sooo then, let
Kate
Oct 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
No. of times cried: 2.5 (the 0.5 was tears welling, not spilling)
No. of chocolate bars consumed: 2
No. of times laughed out loud: eleventy bazillion
No. of Twitter followers: 518
No. of times I thought “I love Bridget”: eleventy bazillion
No. of perfectly fitting endings for Bridget: 1
No. of scenes where I thought Bridget and I would be best mates IRL: eleventy bazillion (especially the nits bits)

4.5/5 Yes, shortest most useless review ever but to all the haters*, too bad, Fielding rules. The third
christa
Nov 13, 2013 rated it did not like it
Here is the least surprising sentence that I will write today: The new Bridget Jones book really, really sucks. But we all knew that, right? It all came together for series author Helen Fielding just once, admittedly more than it does for some people, but she’s never again been able to find that same balance of characters, plot, truths and one-liners as she had in our introduction to this once-lovable, relatable and bumbling character.

Pity.

“Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy” finds our foot-in-m
Mara
Oct 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fun-reads, chicklit
Helen Fielding and her iconic character, Bridget Jones are the grande dames of Chick Lit, and Mad About the Boy doesn't disappoint. In most ways, that is. As usual, I won't spoiler the plot or tell anything that you can't read for yourself online. Suffice to say, this book will make you laugh and cry at the same time. For us 'women of a certain age', it's easy to relate to the fact that Bridget's voice, and that of her partners in crime, doesn't change, that people don't change, just their life ...more
Erin
Oct 15, 2016 rated it did not like it
GAH!I'm so glad that the movie(Bridget Jones and Baby) and this book are distant relations. Thank goodness that movie making people know what will make a woman feel scorned! Mark+Bridget= forever! I had to stop at page 137 because I couldn't take it anymore. But I did skip to the end to read the last 50 or so pages to find out what happens. Also, Bridget J was often blunt and crude, but when did she get down right vulgar? I wish I had never read it!
Deborah Markus
Feb 01, 2014 rated it liked it
A lot of reviewers think this book doesn't work because the premise is unrealistic. Because there are plenty of women Bridget Jones' age who are single mothers due to divorce, but very few who are widows.

Yeah, you know what I've noticed about the other two Bridget Jones books? They're one hundred percent realistic. The stuff that happens to Bridget is stuff all women of a certain age can relate to.

Like, remember that time Bridget's mom got involved with that sexy con artist wanted by Interpol?
Melissa
Oct 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Helen Fielding, what have you done?

Aside from the very controversial plot twist that has shaken the Darcy Nation to its foundation, there are two huge problems with this story: (1) It's really slow (2) Bridget Jones is still, well, the same Bridget Jones, and it doesn't fully work anymore.

Back in the '90s, Bridget Jones was my homegirl. Fun, carefree, totally neurotic, and extremely funny, she was so relatable. What living breathing member of Gen X didn't have their Jones moments back then? But
Lian Dolan
Nov 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Flashes of the Bridget we love and the Helen Fielding we love, but not enough. Dang. I wanted to see what Bridget had made of herself and I was rooting for Helen Fielding to find some new obstacles for Bridget to tackle in her own endearing way. But a lot of this book felt recycled from other books- particularly I Don't Know How She Does It- about crazed moms, internet dating, and other middle- aged crises from weight gain ( still?) to how to manage trendy fashion. And the fact that so much of t ...more
Manybooks
Although I actually did end up at least somewhat enjoying this third instalment of the Bridget Jones's Diary series, I simply cannot in any manner forgive Helen Fielding for the premise of Mad About the Boy, for having killed off Mark Darcy. I did get used to Bridget as a single parent, and many of her antics in Mad About the Boy are as endearing and as outrageous as in the first two books. But no Mark Darcy and the fact that Fielding had made him die in such terrible, such horrible circumstance ...more
Helle
May 20, 2015 rated it liked it
I needed a pick-me-up after a workweek that sent me to bed for a couple of days; something which would demand little cerebral power but keep me afloat and steer me away from the fever-induced risk of self-pity.

Well, this book served its purpose. After much eye-rolling during the first half of the book, I did manage a few giggles toward the end (that ended in coughing, but never mind). But though the element of Bridget’s quirky recording of her daily intake of calories, weight, etc. has now bran
Tatiana
Nov 07, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
(view spoiler) and Bridget is 51! and still clueless. I don't care to read about that ...more
Kate
Bridget is back! But this time around I found myself, much to my surprise, wanting to staple things to her forehead. Whence such blasphemy? Well...

Mark Darcy is dead now, which I understand as an artistic decision--as Chekhov, or was it Ibsen, once said, "All happy families are [boring]." A novel about Mark and Bridget being happy in love and raising their children would have been colossally dull and treacly. But Darcy's untimely extinction means that Bridget is a wealthy widow with no need to w
Assia
Sep 19, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Paul E. Morph
Apr 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The final (chronologically, if not in publication order) book in the Bridget Jones series skips forward a fair few years, with Bridget bringing up her two children as a single mother. As such, this book has a markedly different tone to the previous entries, particularly as Fielding has had the guts to leave the 'Mark vs. Daniel' rivalry behind, in a rather decisive manner.

A lot of reviewers seem to hate this book because of this decision on Fielding's part; apparently it was a step too far for m
Bamba
Sep 30, 2013 rated it did not like it
I have always hated the idea of anyone rating a book before they have read it but in this case I had to make an exception!!!
After the revelations by author Helen Fielding this weekend, I won't be reading this or any other new HF book ever again.
I have been so excited about hearing what Bridget has been up too (even tho I did not believe it was necessary) and to hear that HF has destroyed the story of BJ's and shown such a lack of respect to fans is just unbelievable!!
Yes, I know its fiction and
Lisa Novelli
Oct 31, 2013 rated it it was ok
Mr Wallaker *Spoiler* 4 170 Sep 24, 2014 07:13PM
Bridget Jones age 38 314 May 22, 2014 01:06PM
2005 Independent Columns 4 52 Dec 26, 2013 01:03PM
Jane Eyre nod? 2 75 Dec 17, 2013 12:53AM

• Shopaholic Takes Manhattan (Shopaholic, #2)
  • Shopaholic to the Stars (Shopaholic, #7)
  • Shopaholic Ties the Knot (Shopaholic, #3)
  • Mini Shopaholic (Shopaholic, #6)
  • Tracy Beaker's Thumping Heart (Tracy Beaker, #4)
  • Shopaholic to the Rescue (Shopaholic, #8)
  • Shopaholic and Sister (Shopaholic, #4)
  • Sex and the City
  • Струни
  • Always Smiling: The World According to Toff
  • 1942: O Brasil e sua guerra quase desconhecida
  • Love You Bye: My Story
  • Trials of Tiffany Trott
  • The Age of Revolution
  • Shopaholic & Baby (Shopaholic, #5)
  • Kava su meile
  • Vėl žemės ilgesy
  • Nukarūnuoti karaliai
Helen Fielding was born in Yorkshire. She worked for many years in London as a newspaper and TV journalist, travelling as wildly and as often as possibly to Africa, India and Central America. She is the author of four novels: Cause Celeb, Bridget Jones’ s Diary, Bridget Jones:The Edge of Reason and Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination, and co-wrote the screenplays for the movie of Bridget ...more

Bridget Jones (4 books)
  • Bridget Jones's Diary (Bridget Jones, #1)
  • Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason (Bridget Jones, #2)
  • Bridget Jones's Baby: The Diaries (Bridget Jones, #4)