Start by marking “Mad About the Boy (Bridget Jones, #3)” as Want to Read:
Mad About the Boy (Bridget Jones, #3)

Mad About the Boy

(Bridget Jones #3)

3.34  ·  Rating details ·  43,500 ratings  ·  5,776 reviews
Bridget Jones is back!

Great comic writers are as rare as hen's teeth. And Helen is one of a very select band who have created a character of whom the very thought makes you smile. Bridget Jones' Diary, charting the life of a 30-something singleton in London in the 1990s was a huge international bestseller, published in 40 countries and selling over 15 million copies worldw
Published October 15th 2013 by Knopf Canada

To ask other readers questions about Mad About the Boy, please sign up.
J.C. Starling
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  43,500 ratings  ·  5,776 reviews

Heddus Blackwell
Nov 13, 2013 rated it did not like it
Number of days expected to take to read this book: 1, number of days actually took to read this book: 9, number of times expected to be able to put down this book: 0, number of times actually put down this book: 100+
I loved Bridget Jones; I avidly read the weekly column before the books came out and excitedly awaited the release of the third book. As all fans are aware, Bridget's appeal was that women, whatever their background, could identify with her. Sadly, this is no longer the case: she is
Mimi
Nov 01, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: trying-to-forget
Dear Ms. Fielding,

I want to erase this book from my memory. I read it, and, despite the plot, the scenes are good, the writing is fine, funny, and sometimes sad. But, the premise that (view spoiler)

I don't think you understand the appe
Kay
After hearing what the book is supposed to be about and the direction it's supposed to go in,

description
Joanna
Shelves: 2013, austenalia
Time spent looking forward to new Bridget Jones book: Months!
Time spent reading new Bridget Jones book: 2 days
Time spent being disappointed in new Bridget Jones book: rest of life, approx.

(view spoiler)
Diane
Jun 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
When I heard that Helen Fielding had written a third book about Bridget Jones, I was a bit perplexed because I wasn't sure whether the quirky antics of the scattered, 30-something Bridget would still be amusing in a 50-something mother. But it was surprisingly fun to read about her adventures in dating and parenthood. The book made me laugh out loud several times, and I often found myself smiling while I read.

The novel opens with Bridget excited about dating a younger man and writing a screenpla
Hannah
The whole appeal of Helen Fielding's novels have been based on my absolute love for anything Jane Austen, and considering that Mr Darcy is "my guy", Pride and Prejudice retellings or modern remakes have always had a special place in my heart.

Granted, I enjoy the movie more so than the book, but at least I can still picture Colin Firth as Mark Darcy. That's not to say that the book isn't great - it is infinitely times greater than any other piece of chick lit out there, and that's the appeal of B
Cath
Jul 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
I preordered it! So excited. It's ridiculous how people judge the book without reading it... The ratings should be blocked until the release...

I just read it! I love that Bridget still is the same beloved and funny Bridget we met before. I enjoyed her toy boy adventure, I really love the character of Billy and I think the ending didnt disappoint!

Its funny, exciting and so easy to read. Really enjoyable.
Fabian
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
No, not as disappointing as Stephen King's newer sequel, "Dr. Sleep." But boy does the minutiae build up quickly to a bunch of nothingness-- not even contemporary British stuff is of any interest here. No, but Fielding SHOULD be commended for killing off a perennial favorite, vaulting our cute Brit into the world of dating once more. Why, oh why is Jonesey such a fan of Twitter & texting? Could you make her any less... generic? Even her likability factor suffers considerably.

This is simply
Dina
Oct 05, 2013 marked it as to-avoid
Shelves: chick-lit
You've got to be kidding me! (view spoiler) Even though I'm not a fan of the previous BJ books - the movies are much better, which is an anomaly -, they were certainly a must-read in the late 90s, I'll give you that. But this one... WTF?!?
Kate Hilton
Nov 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
**Spoiler Alert

Rarely have a seen a set of reviews as inconsistent as those for Helen Fielding's latest installment in the Bridget Jones saga, Mad About the Boy. I assume that much of the hostility derives from Fielding's decision to do away with the beloved Mark Darcy in a horrible accident, and to set the novel at a point in time five years later, when Bridget is beginning to recover from the shock of her grief. This is not classic chick lit in the manner of the original two Bridget Jones nove
Karen Chadwick
Oct 17, 2013 rated it did not like it
I found the endless text speak, twittering etc very, very annoying and incredibly difficult to read, quite frankly I felt it was a lazy way of writing, and a means of padding.
Bridget's character (in this book) is completely unbelievable, very immature and totally one dimensional.
Extremely poor characterisation, and with an underdeveloped paper thin plot.
Maybe this is a minor niggle, but I found the name "Roxter" to be the literary equivalent of nails down a blackboard.
Helen Fielding now says tha
Charlie Darcy
Oct 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: those who are not too emotionally involved with Mark Darcy
I wasn't going to read this book. (view spoiler) However, as release date neared, I found myself (view spoiler)

I'm sad to say that I didn't enjoy it as a book. I admit I'd gone into it with the above reservations, however, I did at
Sharon
Dec 05, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
Diabolical.

Lovable, cuddly, foot-in-mouth, just-the-way-you-are Bridget is long gone. In her place is a 51 year old widow obsessed with finding a man (yes, still,- and while we're on the subject, what kind of a name is Roxster?!), losing weight (yes, still, - a referral to an obesity clinic at a size 14? Really Helen? Way to relate to a huge chunk of your original fans there...) and booze (mouthful of wine in the middle of a children's diarrhea/vomit incident? Really?)

As for "hilarious" - if you
D
Nov 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: fans of the Bridget series who are feeling forgiving
high 2s

a moderate disappointment. at times fielding really brings it (exploring grief and loss), and seeing the adult incarnations of bridget's pack of besties makes me smile. but mostly i was fatigued by our hapless heroine: the neuroses that used to seem charming just come off as ridiculous in a woman of her age. her self-sabotage, narcissism, and failure to launch were cringingly Rorschachian as i read her in my twenties. but she's fifty-one now, and she simply comes off as sad and unhinged.
Rache
Gahhhhh, Gahhhhh and more damn Gahhhhhhhhhh

Let me preface my thoughts by saying that I'm going to pretend this book was never written, swiftly returning to a sweeter time when I believed that our gentle heroine received the happy ending she deserved from the end of book 2.

I would like to start every sentence with 'the very cheek' and 'how dare you' whilst making sweeping arm gestures but I don't want to continually repeat a theme, unlike a certain English Novelist that we all know.

Sooo then, let
Kate
Oct 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
No. of times cried: 2.5 (the 0.5 was tears welling, not spilling)
No. of chocolate bars consumed: 2
No. of times laughed out loud: eleventy bazillion
No. of Twitter followers: 518
No. of times I thought “I love Bridget”: eleventy bazillion
No. of perfectly fitting endings for Bridget: 1
No. of scenes where I thought Bridget and I would be best mates IRL: eleventy bazillion (especially the nits bits)

4.5/5 Yes, shortest most useless review ever but to all the haters*, too bad, Fielding rules. The third
christa
Nov 13, 2013 rated it did not like it
Here is the least surprising sentence that I will write today: The new Bridget Jones book really, really sucks. But we all knew that, right? It all came together for series author Helen Fielding just once, admittedly more than it does for some people, but she’s never again been able to find that same balance of characters, plot, truths and one-liners as she had in our introduction to this once-lovable, relatable and bumbling character.

Pity.

“Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy” finds our foot-in-m
Mara
Oct 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chicklit, fun-reads
Helen Fielding and her iconic character, Bridget Jones are the grande dames of Chick Lit, and Mad About the Boy doesn't disappoint. In most ways, that is. As usual, I won't spoiler the plot or tell anything that you can't read for yourself online. Suffice to say, this book will make you laugh and cry at the same time. For us 'women of a certain age', it's easy to relate to the fact that Bridget's voice, and that of her partners in crime, doesn't change, that people don't change, just their life ...more
Erin
Oct 15, 2016 rated it did not like it
GAH!I'm so glad that the movie(Bridget Jones and Baby) and this book are distant relations. Thank goodness that movie making people know what will make a woman feel scorned! Mark+Bridget= forever! I had to stop at page 137 because I couldn't take it anymore. But I did skip to the end to read the last 50 or so pages to find out what happens. Also, Bridget J was often blunt and crude, but when did she get down right vulgar? I wish I had never read it!
Deborah Markus
Feb 01, 2014 rated it liked it
A lot of reviewers think this book doesn't work because the premise is unrealistic. Because there are plenty of women Bridget Jones' age who are single mothers due to divorce, but very few who are widows.

Yeah, you know what I've noticed about the other two Bridget Jones books? They're one hundred percent realistic. The stuff that happens to Bridget is stuff all women of a certain age can relate to.

Like, remember that time Bridget's mom got involved with that sexy con artist wanted by Interpol?
Melissa
Oct 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Helen Fielding, what have you done?

Aside from the very controversial plot twist that has shaken the Darcy Nation to its foundation, there are two huge problems with this story: (1) It's really slow (2) Bridget Jones is still, well, the same Bridget Jones, and it doesn't fully work anymore.

Back in the '90s, Bridget Jones was my homegirl. Fun, carefree, totally neurotic, and extremely funny, she was so relatable. What living breathing member of Gen X didn't have their Jones moments back then? But
Lian Dolan
Nov 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Flashes of the Bridget we love and the Helen Fielding we love, but not enough. Dang. I wanted to see what Bridget had made of herself and I was rooting for Helen Fielding to find some new obstacles for Bridget to tackle in her own endearing way. But a lot of this book felt recycled from other books- particularly I Don't Know How She Does It- about crazed moms, internet dating, and other middle- aged crises from weight gain ( still?) to how to manage trendy fashion. And the fact that so much of t ...more
Helle
May 20, 2015 rated it liked it
I needed a pick-me-up after a workweek that sent me to bed for a couple of days; something which would demand little cerebral power but keep me afloat and steer me away from the fever-induced risk of self-pity.

Well, this book served its purpose. After much eye-rolling during the first half of the book, I did manage a few giggles toward the end (that ended in coughing, but never mind). But though the element of Bridget’s quirky recording of her daily intake of calories, weight, etc. has now bran
Tatiana
Nov 07, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
(view spoiler) and Bridget is 51! and still clueless. I don't care to read about that
Kate
Bridget is back! But this time around I found myself, much to my surprise, wanting to staple things to her forehead. Whence such blasphemy? Well...

Mark Darcy is dead now, which I understand as an artistic decision--as Chekhov, or was it Ibsen, once said, "All happy families are [boring]." A novel about Mark and Bridget being happy in love and raising their children would have been colossally dull and treacly. But Darcy's untimely extinction means that Bridget is a wealthy widow with no need to w
Manybooks
Although I actually did end up at least somewhat enjoying this third instalment of the Bridget Jones's Diary series, I simply cannot totally forgive Helen Fielding for the premise of this book, for having killed off Mark Darcy. I did get used to Bridget as a single parent, and many of her antics are as endearing and as outrageous as in the first two books. But no Mark Darcy and the fact that Fielding had made him die in such terrible circumstances really did do a number on me and my emotions.

Th
Assia
Sep 19, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Bamba
Sep 30, 2013 rated it did not like it
I have always hated the idea of anyone rating a book before they have read it but in this case I had to make an exception!!!
After the revelations by author Helen Fielding this weekend, I won't be reading this or any other new HF book ever again.
I have been so excited about hearing what Bridget has been up too (even tho I did not believe it was necessary) and to hear that HF has destroyed the story of BJ's and shown such a lack of respect to fans is just unbelievable!!
Yes, I know its fiction and
Lisa Novelli
Oct 31, 2013 rated it it was ok
Jo
Mr Wallaker *Spoiler* 4 166 Sep 25, 2014 11:13AM
Bridget Jones age 38 311 May 23, 2014 05:06AM
2005 Independent Columns 4 52 Dec 27, 2013 06:03AM
Jane Eyre nod? 2 74 Dec 17, 2013 05:53PM
  • Where'd You Go, Bernadette
  • Mammy Walsh's A-Z of the Walsh Family (Walsh Family, #6)
  • Christmas at Carrington's
  • Holly Would Dream
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Christmas at Claridge's
  • I'll Take New York
  • Wing Girl
  • Turning Forty
  • Nynnes Dagbog
  • The Mysterious Miss Mayhew
  • From Notting Hill with Four Weddings . . . Actually (Actually, #3)
  • Love and Other Subjects
  • Staying Away at Christmas
  • Simply Divine
  • Me and Mr Jones
  • Christmas at Rosie Hopkins’ Sweetshop (Rosie Hopkins' Sweet Shop, #2)
  • Winter Wonderland (LoveTravel #10)
Helen Fielding was born in Yorkshire. She worked for many years in London as a newspaper and TV journalist, travelling as wildly and as often as possibly to Africa, India and Central America. She is the author of four novels: Cause Celeb, Bridget Jones’ s Diary, Bridget Jones:The Edge of Reason and Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination, and co-wrote the screenplays for the movie of Bridget ...more

Bridget Jones (4 books)
  • Bridget Jones's Diary (Bridget Jones, #1)
  • Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason (Bridget Jones, #2)
  • Bridget Jones's Baby: The Diaries (Bridget Jones, #4)
“You see, things being good has nothing to do with how you feel outside, it is all to do with how you are inside.” 20 likes
“I made my excuses and left, thinking, really, after a certain age, people are just going to do what they're going to do and you're either going to accept them as they are or you're not.” 17 likes