Cover to Cover Challenge discussion

Read-A-Thon Progress and Discussion -- June

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Athira (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) Talk to your heart's content!

Let us know how your reading experience is going.. What is distracting you? What is your family doing while you read?

And if you are not doing the read-a-thon, talk away anyways and drop us some cheer! :)

Unapologetic_Bookaholic I'm planning on digging out those unfinished books and spending a limited amt of time doing anything else but reading until I go to work at 2 pm. I post before then.

message 3: by Roseann (last edited Jun 23, 2010 11:09PM) (new)

Roseann | 185 comments Off to bed with an alarm at 4:45am!!!! Got lots to read and ready to go!

message 4: by Debbie (new)

Debbie  (db_debber) | 137 comments if I am not mistaking, it is almost time, isn't it?????

message 5: by Shay (new)

Shay | 330 comments Yes, I got one minute until start.

message 6: by Debbie (new)

Debbie  (db_debber) | 137 comments and GO ! :)

message 7: by Debbie (new)

Debbie  (db_debber) | 137 comments be back later to check in!

message 8: by Athira (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) Good luck, everyone!!

message 9: by Shay (new)

Shay | 330 comments Start time was 5am where I am. So, I'm reading and drinking my first cup of coffee. Peaceful. All the children, including my husband, are sleeping.

message 10: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 56 comments just joined this.. and am going to start with.... Sleeping Over (Red Dress Ink) by Stacey Ballis

message 11: by Shay (new)

Shay | 330 comments Baby is up. Going to cook breakfast. Got through about 160 pages this morning.

message 12: by Joanie (new)

Joanie (joaniemaloney) Only about 60 pages in The Boy in the Moon: A Father's Search for the Value of His Handicapped Son's Life, it's a lovely read! Right now I'm getting temporarily distracted by the Italy/Slovakia game for the next hour. I'm so glad this wasn't held tomorrow, crazy day for the World Cup.

message 13: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 776 comments Mod
I did read some while waiting at the vet this am, but i'm not participating fully...

started Very Valentine and Sweet Surrender

message 14: by Shay (new)

Shay | 330 comments Finished my first book of the day. (Started it yesterday.) Read pages 58-340 today. Scandal on Rincon Hill (A Sarah Woolson Mystery, #4) by Shirley Tallman by Shirley Tallman.

message 15: by Jennifer C (new)

Jennifer C Awesome job Shay! I am so jealous, I wish I could be reading today instead of working. :)

Dee - I just finished Very Valentine. I enjoyed it. Hope you do too.

Keep up the reading, I am doing it with you in spirit.

message 16: by Kristin (new)

Kristin (hockeygirl66) I'm getting a very late start since I got out of work late-but I'm excited to get started. I've got 2 books that just came out on Tuesday and I've been dying to start reading them !

message 17: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 93 comments Finished Bed of Roses (Bride Quartet, #2) by Nora Roberts at 335 pp. Now reading The Edge of Desire (Bastion Club, #7) by Stephanie Laurens to finish Read-the-Month for June.

message 18: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (beantime) Ahhhhh! I'm distracted by the release of a DS game! I've been waiting for this game to come out for ages and I finally got it last night. I can't stop playing it. I've only read 19 pages :[

message 19: by Susan (new)

Susan (superbookfreak) | 115 comments I just got the message and forgot about it, but I'm going to sit and read some, I've got a magazine I need to read and than I have a book called The Woods by: Harlan Coben

message 20: by Shay (new)

Shay | 330 comments Just finished Short Change (Tucker Sinclair, #3) by Patricia Smiley , 266 pages. Started it today.

message 21: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wldinnis) I just finished Moloka'i of which I read 332 pages today. On to The Girl Who Chased the Moon.

message 22: by Shay (new)

Shay | 330 comments @Wendy. Was Molokai any good? Never read it, although I'm originally from Hawaii. I noticed the author wasn't born there and sometimes when I read stuff written in that circumstance the dialogue seems awkward to me.

message 23: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wldinnis) I read both Honolulu and Moloka'i by the same author. They both dealt with historical Hawaii and the author seemed to do a good job of it. Of the two, I enjoyed Moloka'i much more.

message 24: by Lisa S (new)

Lisa S (kasey_k_fan) Sorry I couldn't join this time. I had to work. but I'll be thinking of you all.

message 25: by Kristin (new)

Kristin (hockeygirl66) I finished Sizzling Sixteen by Janet Evanovich (started it today). Now I'm off to read Broken by Karin Slaughter! I've been very excited about this one :)

message 26: by Roseann (new)

Roseann | 185 comments Well it's the half-way mark and already I am a bit behind. I got up on time, but after finishing my first book I thought I 'rest' for just a few minutes and...about three hours later...I woke up. Anyhow, so far my totals are:

Books read:2

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) by Rick Riordan by Rick Riordan

and

Saved Rescued Animals and the Lives They Transform by Karin Winegar by Karin Winegar

Total pages: 579

Total reading time: 9 hours

message 27: by Athira (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) Rest is good, Roseann! You'll probably read more now!

message 28: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 776 comments Mod
ohhh, let me know how broken is - I won an ARC of it, but haven't read it yet - using it for a TSRC challenge (two books with the same titles - that and Broken by Megan Hart)

Kristin wrote: "I finished Sizzling Sixteen by Janet Evanovich (started it today). Now I'm off to read Broken by Karin Slaughter! I've been very excited..."

message 29: by Shay (new)

Shay | 330 comments Just finished my third book, A House to Die For (Darby Farr, #1) by Vicki Doudera . Started it yesterday, read pages 51-319 today.

Total Pages read today: 816 (from the books finished)

message 30: by Shay (new)

Shay | 330 comments @Wendy. I requested Molokai from the library. Looks interesting. Thanks, great to hear about new books.

message 31: by Susan (new)

Susan (superbookfreak) | 115 comments I've finished Worst Case by James Patterson by: James Pattersonand right now I'm on page 131 of The Woods by Harlan Coben by: Harlan Coben

message 32: by Roseann (new)

Roseann | 185 comments One more done-

Enthusiasm by Polly Shulman by Polly Shulman

So that's--

3 books
777 pages
almost 12 hours

message 33: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 93 comments 335 pp.: Bed of Roses (Bride Quartet, #2) by Nora Roberts
315 pp (so far) in The Edge of Desire (Bastion Club, #7) by Stephanie Laurens so I know I'll finish it tonight, but that might be all -

message 34: by Roseann (new)

Roseann | 185 comments I finished two more--

Slow Man by J.M. Coetzee by J.M. Coetzee

and

The Ruby in the Smoke (Sally Lockhart Trilogy, #1) by Philip Pullman by Philip Pullman

I also started The Razor's Edge by W. Somerset Maugham by W. Somerset Maugham and got to page 76, but I am getting blurry-eyed and since I have to get up to go to work in the morning I think I will go to bed.

So, my final tally--

5 books read (+ one started)
1,270 pages
15 1/2 hours reading.

Good luck to everyone else and I will see you at the next read-a-thon!!!

message 35: by Kristin (new)

Kristin (hockeygirl66) Delicious Dee the book slut wrote: "ohhh, let me know how broken is - I won an ARC of it, but haven't read it yet - using it for a TSRC challenge (two books with the same titles - that and Broken by Megan Hart)

I just finished Broken by Karin Slaughter. It in an intense book (like most of Karin Slaughter's books). I loved the book-I hope you do too! I was hoping to keep reading, but I think my brain needs to process the book before I can pick up something else. I guess we'll see.
Good luck to everyone still reading!

message 36: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wldinnis) During the read-a-thon, I read 12 hours and 2 1/3 books:
Moloka'i by Alan Brennert (338 pages of it)
The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen (269 pages)
A Rogue of My Own by Johanna Lindsey (127 pages of it)

Total 734 pages

message 37: by Athira (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) You guys did pretty well!! I wish I had taken part too, but I ended up having some unexpected stuff come up. Congrats to all who participated!

message 38: by Debbie (last edited Jun 25, 2010 06:13AM) (new)

Debbie  (db_debber) | 137 comments Had to do the mom thing at 7, but this is basically what I ended up with
didn't quite make it the whole time, but I did get 21 hours in.....

(57 pgs.) - Projected Pleasure ★★★☆☆
(100 pgs.) - Summer Sanctuary ★★★★☆
(402 pgs.) - Whiplash ★★★★☆

(3:31 hrs.) - Undead and Unemployed ★★★☆☆

total pages 587 and 3 hrs 31 min audio

message 39: by Athira (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) 21 is good, Debbie! Also, nice presentation for your summary! I like the rating star effect.

message 40: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 93 comments I didn't write down my breaks, which got longer as the eyes got tired
I'm guess-timating that I read for approximately 14 hours and completed 2 books:
335 pp.: Bed of Roses (Bride Quartet, #2) by Nora Roberts 433 pp.: The Edge of Desire (Bastion Club, #7) by Stephanie Laurens

My totals: 768 pp. read in 14 hours no audio for me this time

message 41: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (beantime) Man, I probably shouldn't even bother posting what I read. I got distracted by the release of a new DS game, and when my boyfriend got home, he kept talking and asking me questions about this coming weekend.

I managed to read only 480 pages. Wintergirls (288) and Charlotte's Web (192). I'm not sure how many hours I read because this was my first readathon and I didn't think to pay attention :[

Not very good, but I'm happy because I've been meaning to read Charlotte's Web for a very long time. I'll definitely do better next time!

message 42: by Susan (new)

Susan (superbookfreak) | 115 comments I got started late, but I did get a book and half read. I posted what I read earlier in the post and I made it to page 204 of 324 in The Woods by Harlan Coben

So total I read about 7 hours give or take an hour. I think I did pretty well with having 5 kids and wanting to pull my hair out. LOL.

message 43: by Debbie (new)

Debbie  (db_debber) | 137 comments Aths wrote: "21 is good, Debbie! Also, nice presentation for your summary! I like the rating star effect."

I just had to make dinner, take a nap and drive my kids around, otherwise it was good - thanks, I was able to finish a couple of challenge books that I wasn't sure I would get to.... great excuse to read all day =)