SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

General Discussion > All Good Things Must Come to an End ... but why?!

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steph, Serious series addict (last edited Feb 18, 2017 09:02AM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29050 comments I recently binged and read the entire “Gardella Vampire” Series by Colleen Gleason. As much as I wanted it to keep going, I think she did a good job of wrapping things up. There were still a few things I’d like to have had more of, but over all it was a good series for me. She is going to be starting a new historical vampire series, the first book The Vampire Voss to be released April 2011.

A nice benny to starting a series a little late in the game is that you have a chance to buy or borrow (sometimes beg ... ok, no stealing allowed) the rest of the series right away, if you find you like it.

On Rachel Vincent’s blog, she mentions how hard it was to end the “Shifters/Werecats” series, which will end with the next installment, Alpha. On 5/21/10, she posted this on her blog:

“Things I've learned by ending the Shifters series:

1. Most people don't want a series to end. I understand. I'm gonna miss the Shifters too. :)

2. There's no way to remember every single detail from the previous five books. I've had to do a lot of searching in the previous manuscripts.

3. Finding a good last line is hard! I've gone through several so far, and my editor and I agree that I haven't found the right one yet. Sigh. It needs to be perfect, because it's not just the last line in the book; it's the last line in the series!. And it will be perfect. But I only have one more chance to get it right: page proofs.

4. I'm really nervous about the reception of this book. The last in the series needs to be riveting, and fast-paced, and it has to satisfactorily wrap up all the threads. But there's no way everyone's going to be happy with the way it ends, so I'm trying to come to terms with that now, to save myself the stress later.”

I didn’t know the series would be ending so soon. Well, soon for me b/c I didn’t read book #1 until mid-2009. This series became a favorite of mine, even after the first book (or rather Faythe’s whining) bugged me a bit. At least she grew throughout the series and I was quickly drawn into the story and fell in love with the other characters. Book # 4 Prey had me boo-hooin’.

Another one I don’t want to see end is the “Fever” series by Karen Marie Moning! The audiobooks for that series are awesome! The series started kinda ok for me, but boy did it pick pick up speed fast. Moning’s cliffhangers are major doozies! I have a lot of questions, same as Mac, and I’m very interested to see how this one will end.

Keri Arthur has ended her “Riley Jenson, Guardian” series with book #9 Moon Sworn. I have been reading that series since book one was released and have really enjoyed it. Riley has grown and changed so much over the years, it’s been a joy to have been part of her adventures and hot romances. I love Quinn best! I am sad to see the series end, especially since I didn’t realize it was ending until I got the last book. :( But, Arthur did a great job wrapping things up for Riley and those in her life. She’s going to have an offshoot series, set in the same world and featuring Risa, Dia’s little girl that will focus more on the Aedh and demons rather than vamps and werewolves. So that’s something to look forward to.

Trilogies are always hard for me. You know, going in, that they are only going to last for three books. Sometimes that’s a good thing, sometimes (as with Rhiannon Frater’s “As The World Dies” ) it’s just sad.

Speaking of amazing trilogies I don’t want to end ... We’ll finally find out what’s going to happen in the "Hunger Games" big finale with the August 24th (can’t get here quick enough) release of Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins. I don’t think a YA release has been more anticipated by both YA and adults alike (excluding HP). Thank you to FlibBityFLooB for recommending this awesome series to me!

Have you recent read the final installment in a favorite series? Was it so good that you wished it wouldn't have ended? Do share! :)

message 2: by Angi (last edited Jun 04, 2010 06:07AM) (new)

Angi | 485 comments For me, it was one my dear friend Jen suggested to me. This was an awesome trilogy:)

Poison Study (Study, #1) by Maria V. Snyder Magic Study (Study, #2) by Maria V. Snyder Fire Study (Study, #3) by Maria V. Snyder

There are a few others that I'm so looking forward to reading BUT of course, not wanting to end like the "Shift" series and the "Darkfever" series :( Shift (Shifters, #5) by Rachel Vincent Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning

message 3: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29050 comments Angi, I still haven't read her "Study" series. I bought Poison Study before leaving AU thinking I'd read it on the plane to JP, but got distracted by the latest "Shifter/Werecats" book instead. It's still sitting on my shelf. I'll have to move it up and read it soon b/c I keep forgetting about it.

message 4: by Angi (new)

Angi | 485 comments Yes you definitely should read these soon! I liked them all a lot! :)

message 5: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29050 comments Angi wrote: "Yes you definitely should read these soon! I liked them all a lot! :)"

Will do (or at least I'll try to). :)

message 6: by Steph, Serious series addict (last edited Jul 29, 2010 07:51PM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29050 comments Later this year and 2011 will bring us to the end of these great series:

Mockingjay (Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins Alpha (Shifters, #6) by Rachel Vincent Shadowfever (Fever, #5) by Karen Marie Moning Last Sacrifice (Vampire Academy, #6) by Richelle Mead

Also: Succubus Revealed (Georgina Kincaid - final book in 2011)

We'll miss the "next book is out" rush we get from them, for sure!

What will you remember most about them when it's all said & done?
Or do you even know yet? Waiting for the big finale?

[ETA: VA's last book] & [ETA: GK's last book]

message 7: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 36 comments Funny you should ask. I'm waiting for all 3 before i start the series. There's just too much cliffhangers and unanswered decisions for me to start before.

message 8: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29050 comments Rossy wrote: "Funny you should ask. I'm waiting for all 3 before i start the series. There's just too much cliffhangers and unanswered decisions for me to start before."

Before you start all 3 series?

That's a good way to do it, Rossy. All 3 have had left many of us a'hangin'! :)

message 9: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 36 comments Yeah. I have too many series that i already started that i need to finish, so i figure that should help keep me in order somewhat.LOL

message 10: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) | 2883 comments I am still sad that Harry Potter is over. :( Years later!

message 11: by ஐAndreaஐ (new)

ஐAndreaஐ (rosesrrblue) OK so Faithe stops whining? I just started Stray last night and she's killing me with her damn pitty party. I'm interested, but I don't think I can handle it if she stays this way.

I'm so sad VA is ending :( and at the same time can't wait to see how it ends. I feel the same about the Fever Series.

message 12: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 1854 comments Andrea, Stray is the weakest of the series. Faythe gets better, she grows up but experiences many bumps along the way.

message 13: by ஐAndreaஐ (new)

ஐAndreaஐ (rosesrrblue) oh good, I really liked the rest of the book so far but her whining seemed very consuming

message 14: by FlibBityFLooB (new)

FlibBityFLooB | 169 comments Eek! I didnt' see this thread sooner. I'm glad I caught it now. No idea that the new Colleen Gleason series was listed. Thanks Steph for posting the link :) :) :)

message 15: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29050 comments FlibBityFLooB wrote: "Eek! I didnt' see this thread sooner. I'm glad I caught it now. No idea that the new Colleen Gleason series was listed. Thanks Steph for posting the link :) :) :)"

You're welcome, Flib. :)

ஐAndreaஐ wrote: "OK so Faithe stops whining? I just started Stray last night and she's killing me with her damn pitty party. I'm interested, but I don't think I can handle it if she stays this way.

I'm so sad..."

Ames' is right, Andrea. Faythe grows throughout the series, that's part of what I like about it. So, try to stick with it, it DEFINITELY gets better.

RE: VA - Me too (on both accounts)!

message 16: by Laura Lulu (last edited Jul 27, 2010 10:54AM) (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments Steph wrote: "Ames' is right, Andrea. Faythe grows throughout the series, that's part of what I like about it. So, try to stick with it, it DEFINITELY gets better."

I'm glad to hear this, I've heard people complaining about her around GR. But that's how I felt about Mac in the Fever series--if people around GR didn't tell me to continue on with the series, I would have dropped it like a bad habit after how much Mac bugged me in the 1st book. And now it's one of my fave series. :)

I am a big straight fantasy reader also, so I am used to the trilogy, and I'm a fan. As much as I'm sad to see the character go, it's also nice going into it knowing it won't drag on forever.

With that being said, is it August 24th yet? Can't WAIT for Mockingjay.

message 17: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29050 comments I got the same push on both series as well. And, so glad I did!

I just mentioned Mockingjay too! Can't wait! So close ........

message 18: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 2489 comments I actually tend to think that some series go on way too long. So I like it when an author ends a series on a high note while it's still good. I feel the same way about TV shows and movie series.

message 19: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29050 comments True, Mary. Some do tend to drag passed their "kill me now" date. I get so into some of the characters though, that when some do end, I miss looking forward to their next adventure.

message 20: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (needsun) | 60 comments Is anyone aware of any other popular series that are ended? I have so many books that I want to read, I would like to start on the ones that have ended. So far, I need to read all the ones listed here.

message 21: by ஐAndreaஐ (new)

ஐAndreaஐ (rosesrrblue) The last book will be coming out for the Succubus series next year.

message 22: by Joanne (last edited Jul 29, 2010 09:04AM) (new)

Joanne (needsun) | 60 comments That is another one I want to read! Both the series by Nina Harper and by Richelle Mead. Which one is ending?

message 23: by ஐAndreaஐ (new)

ஐAndreaஐ (rosesrrblue) 2 of Richelle Mead's series will be ending in the next year. Both VA and Succubus, both really good.

message 24: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (needsun) | 60 comments Thanks, Andrea

message 25: by ஐAndreaஐ (new)

ஐAndreaஐ (rosesrrblue) happy to help Richelle Mead is one of my favorite author's

message 26: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29050 comments I hadn't realized that one was ending too. I'm still stuck at the beginning of that one. Thanks, Andrea. I've added it to the short list above.

message 27: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 2489 comments Charlaine Harris has ended Lily Bard & Harper Connelly series and most likely Aurora Teagarden.

message 28: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (needsun) | 60 comments I was hoping it wasn't true about the Harper Connelly series. I read on another thread that she was doing a graphic novel with these characters. Another book would have been better.

message 29: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 02, 2010 08:49AM) (new)

I know that Midnight breed will be ending in the next year or two. As much as I cannot WAIT to have Lara Adrian turn Chase into a character I can stomach rather than want to beat within an inch of his life, I will be sad if his story is "the end" - On the upshot with how caotic and crazy he is it will end the seris with an incredible...

BANG!

message 30: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29050 comments LOL!

message 31: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (needsun) | 60 comments Please remind me...who is Chase? This is series that I buy as soon as a book comes out but darn if I remember all the character's names.

message 32: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29050 comments E'll have to answer that one for ya, Joanne. I've only read 1-2 in that series so far. And so far, no Chase, at least that I remember.

message 33: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6408 comments A series I read this year that has ended (and the ending and story arc worked well, but I didn't want to say goodbye to the characters...) is the Weather Warden series by Rachel Caine; starting with Ill Wind.

Ill Wind (Weather Warden, #1) by Rachel Caine

message 34: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29050 comments I didn't realize that one had ended. I still haven't started it, but good to know so I can mark it as complete.

message 35: by Josie (new)

Josie | 1967 comments Kind of related but not, did anyone see Kelly Meding's post An Announcement of the Worst Kind?

"There will be no more Dreg City books."

I've never read them but they were definitely on my list to read. I was going to start them but I don't know if I can invest in a story that's not going to be fully told. Has anyone read these books? What do you think?

message 36: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29050 comments I hadn't heard that, Josie. Thanks for the update. I've read book #1, back in 2010 or so and remember enjoying it enough to continue. But, I never did. So many books, yah? Anyway, that's sad to hear. I can't imagine an author being told they cannot continue publishing stories they love writing and their fans enjoy reading. Must be hard for her. Well, I won't rush to the read the rest, even though I have #2-4 on-hand, because it will all be left dangling. (LOL! Made me think of hanging chad, for some reason ... I'm odd, ignore me) Maybe she'll luck out like Carolyn Crane did with her final Disillusionists book or maybe self-publish? Never know.

message 37: by Josie (new)

Josie | 1967 comments I was thinking that but she says that MetaWars is still going. It makes me think maybe either her contract says that the publisher has control of all books written or maybe still has rights over the series or something. Maybe she would have to give up MetaWars being published if she wants Dreg City to be self-published? As you can see, I'm clueless about publishing contracts but I hope she considers self-publishing. More and more recently, it can and is being done, successes like Carolyn Crane hopefully inspiring the nervous. I read an article from Samantha Young showing how successful an author can be from pauaper to... less so.

It's funny but I was speaking to Grace Draven yesterday, asking when her books are going to be available in the UK (she was the nicest person!) and she was saying how she's trying to get her rights back on her books and is going to self-publish in the future. It's all happening in the self-publishing world!

message 38: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29050 comments Ah, yeah, I hadn't thought about that, but makes sense. Bummer. Guess there are always + & - to selling your story to a big publishing house.