What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Whichaway
This topic is about Whichaway
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Boy gets stuck on a platform in the desert. [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Madison (new)

Madison | 1 comments A book I read in fifth grade or so. This one was about a boy, probably a teen or preteen, that lived in the West (with cowboys and ranches and such). He went out with his horse and got a rabbit. Then he encountered a big dust storm and landed on a small platform on those windmill like things you see in the west. Both of his legs were broken, and he stayed up there for a few days. Some people he knew came to help him, and he made a rope of his clothing to climb down from the platform.

message 2: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2420 comments Google Books search:
"dust storm" windmill legs broken

Swarthout, Glendon Fred, and Kathryn Swarthout. Whichaway. Flagstaff, AZ: Rising Moon, 1997. Set in Arizona in 1920, this novel follows a young boy who is stranded on top of a windmill with two broken legs after a dust storm. Left to die, he ponders his mortality and searches for a way to save his life.

Whichaway by Glendon Fred Swarthout - 1997
Fifteen-year-old Whichaway, son of a stone-faced Arizona rancher, legs broken in an accident atop a windmill, struggles to survive after cattle rustlers have left him to die.

Stranded atop a windmill, far from civilization, with both legs broken, a young ranch boy must struggle for survival. Left behind by cattle rustlers to die, two days pass as the boy contemplates his mortality.

Solved.

message 3: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
The last time the OP was active was in 2011. I did send her a PM telling her that a possible title has been suggested. If she doesn't respond in a day or two, I vote for moving this down to possibly solved.

message 4: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) Done.

message 5: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) Btw, thanks bkl. It feels good to tidy up at least some of these old queries.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39865 comments Mod
I think we can move this to Solved.