The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 25.8 - Sandy's Task - Once Upon A Time…

Comments Showing 1-50 of 96 (96 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments 25.8 - Sandy's Task - Once Upon A Time…
There was a time in nearly every child's life where they believed in the tooth fairy...and so to celebrate this childhood icon August 22 has been named National Tooth Fairy Day.

In honor of the tooth fairy, read one or more books (totaling at least 400 pages) of fairy tales, books based on traditional fairy tales (EXAMPLE: Snow White And Rose Red by Patricia C. Wrede), or adult or YA books specifically about the tooth fairy (EXAMPLE: The Tooth Fairy: A Novel by Graham Joyce).

For interesting information about the elements of a “fairy tale,” see...Fairy Tales Defined
For a more exhaustive discussion, see...Wikipedia Entry For Fairy Tales

If you need suggestions OR have suggestions for books to read for this task post them here.

message 2: by Felina (new)

Felina I assume What-the-Dickens: The Story of a Rogue Tooth Fairy would fit the bill for this one.

message 3: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16280 comments Mod
Felina wrote: "I assume What-the-Dickens: The Story of a Rogue Tooth Fairy would fit the bill for this one."

Looks fine to me!

message 4: by Ruby (new)

Ruby (rubina310) I've read the Book of Lost Things by John Connolly and I think it would work for this task.

How about Briar Rose by Jane Yolen which I think is related Sleeping Beauty?
Briar Rose by Jane Yolen

Would Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine work?
Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine

Ingo by Helen Dunmore is about mermaids so would that fit?
Ingo (Ingo, #1) by Helen Dunmore

message 5: by Felina (new)

Felina Sandy - What the Dickens is only 304 pages. Can I read The Tales of Beetle the Bard that clocks in at 105? Not sure if you would count these for fairy tales although they are in the HP books. Please say yes, please say yes, please say yes.

message 6: by Sandy (new)

Felina wrote: "Sandy - What the Dickens is only 304 pages. Can I read The Tales of Beetle the Bard that clocks in at 105? Not sure if you would count these for fairy tales although they are in the HP books. Pleas..."

It's described in the HP books as a collection of wizard children's fairy tales, so that seems fine to me.

message 7: by Felina (new)

Felina Yessssssss

message 8: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments As of now I will be reading The Stolen Child and The Bloody Chamber.

message 9: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments Here is the Fairy Tales and Retellings list

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/96...

message 10: by Sandy (new)

Cindy wrote: "Here is the Fairy Tales and Retellings list

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/96..."

Thanks for posting that, Cindy.

message 11: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments I am having such a hard time deciding!!! I am probably going to go with The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales

and one of these:

A Kiss in Time (read her book Beastly for the current challenge and LOVED it)

Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister

message 12: by Katy (new)

Katy | 672 comments I'll put in a plug for Ash by Malinda Lo which is a retelling of Cinderella. I enjoyed it. Also someone mentioned Briar Rose - definitely based on Sleeping Beauty and I really, really liked that one.

message 13: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments I also have to say that I loved The Book of Lost Things.

I own Once Upon a Marigold, so I can use that as a backup.

message 14: by Cait (last edited May 16, 2010 10:03AM) (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Sandy wrote: "Cindy wrote: "Here is the Fairy Tales and Retellings list

Thanks for posting that, Cindy."

Oh oh! The Boy Detective Fails was on that list, can I use it? That would be awesome.

Also, both The Big Over Easy and Neverwhere were on the list as well, do they count?

ETA: Also listed is The Robber Bride. That would work, right?

message 15: by Sandy (new)

Cait wrote: "Sandy wrote: "Cindy wrote: "Here is the Fairy Tales and Retellings list

Oh oh! [book:T..."

To keep life simple, if it's on this list, it's okay to use it. This list is a great help to find books that fit, so go for it.

message 16: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Awesome Sandy, thanks so much!

message 17: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments Would this book fit - In the Night Garden. In this book a girl begins telling a little runaway prince fairy tales in the palace garden. The book has been compared to the story of Scherezade, but the stories are more like western fairy tales than the Arabian Nights.

message 18: by Louise (new)

Louise (louiserogers) | 24 comments My choices are...

The Goose Girl, Shannon Hale
The Book of Lost Things, John Connelly
The Big Over Easy, Jasper Fforde

message 19: by Sandy (new)

Cindy wrote: "Would this book fit - In the Night Garden. In this book a girl begins telling a little runaway prince fairy tales in the palace garden. The book has been compared to the story of Sche..."

that works.

message 20: by Nicole (new)

Nicole  | 117 comments Sandy, are you okay with Enchantment?

message 21: by Sandy (new)

Nicole NC wrote: "Sandy, are you okay with Enchantment?"

Sure. It sounds good!

message 22: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (randhrshipper1) | 68 comments YAY! I LOVE fairy tales!! It's the romantic in me I guess! I can't wait to look at the recommendations above (and more!) and pick my books! I'm so glad Enchantment works-- I was going to ask about it.

I do want to ask: Sandy, would Cinderella: A Casebook work? It contains various versions of "Cinderella" and scholarly articles about it. Or do the books need to be all fiction? Just wondering!

message 23: by Sandy (new)

I do want to ask: Sandy, would Cinderella: A Casebook work? It contains various versions of "Cinderella" and scholarly articles about it. Or do the books need to be all fiction? Just wondering!

Let's stick to fairy tales themselves.

message 24: by Erin (NY) (new)

Erin (NY) (erin_p) | 629 comments Please recommend some Tooth Fairy books! I don't know oh any!

message 25: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (randhrshipper1) | 68 comments Sandy wrote: " I do want to ask: Sandy, would Cinderella: A Casebook work? It contains various versions of "Cinderella" and scholarly articles about it. Or do the books need to be all fiction? Just wondering!
..."

Ok, that's cool. :) Anything fairy tale is fine by me! Thanks for the quick reply!

message 26: by Sandy (new)

Erin wrote: "Please recommend some Tooth Fairy books! I don't know oh any!"

The only two adult or YA ones I know of are What-the-Dickens: The Story of a Rogue Tooth Fairy and The Tooth Fairy: A Novel (which doesn't mean there aren't any!). You'll have lots more choices if you go with fairy tales in general.

message 27: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Sleep Tight is another one

message 28: by Manday (new)

Manday | 311 comments I am planning to read The Fairy-Tale Detectives (this is the first of the series, I plan to read two)

message 29: by Liz (last edited May 17, 2010 07:47PM) (new)

Liz I'm planning on reading The True Story of Hansel and Gretel (320 pgs) as one of my books.

message 30: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10973 comments I think I'm going to try Phoenix and Ashes by Mercedes Lackey. I read The Fire Rose (a Beauty and the Beast re-telling) by her several years ago and really liked it. But, not being my usual genre (I only picked up The Fire Rose because of a book club), I haven't gotten back to reading any more of her books. That's why I love these challenges (and book clubs) -- they force me out of my little genre rut ;o).

message 31: by Sandy (new)

Kristi (Passion for the Page) wrote: "I think I'm going to try Phoenix and Ashes by Mercedes Lackey. I read The Fire Rose (a Beauty and the Beast re-telling) by her several years ago and really ..."

I enjoyed both of those.

message 32: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 2125 comments Terribly Twisted Tales has new twists on old fairy tales;
The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse : "In Robert Rankin’s latest warped fantasy, a serial killer is murdering notable nursery rhyme characters and leaving chocolate calling cards." Funny; also funny was Jasper Fforde's pair of "Nursery Crime" novels, The Big Over Easy and The Fourth Bear

message 33: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Kristi - I've read all the Elementals and enjoyed them. Each one in the series is based upon a fairy tale. So if you want to read the 2nd book in the series, The Serpent's Shadow is based on Snow White.

message 34: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments I agree Tanja--The Elementals books are good. Lackey's series Tales of the Five Hundred Kingdoms also has some good ones--the first is a Cinderella story The Fairy Godmother. They are lighter in tone than the Elemental series.

message 35: by Sandy (new)

Donna Jo wrote: "I agree Tanja--The Elementals books are good. Lackey's series Tales of the Five Hundred Kingdoms also has some good ones--the first is a Cinderella story The Fairy Godmother. They ar..."

All of the Five Hundred Kingdom books work as fairy tales, regardless of whether they're based on traditional tales - they all have the basic fairy tale elements. I've enjoyed all of them.

message 36: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10973 comments And the TBR pile grows and grows and grows... (it's like Jack's beanstalk hehehe).

Thanks, everyone. These all sound great!

message 37: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments *giggles*
The Five Hundred Kingdoms series is more amusing than The Elementals. Just imagine your favorite tale gone wrong :P

message 38: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3008 comments I have the Five Kingdoms books and some of the Elementals and they been sitting on my shelf forever.

message 39: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Jayme, get to reading them! I can go through an Elemental or Five Kingdoms within a day or two. Or maybe that's because I love Lackey so much.

message 40: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ Dust Me Baby One More Time by Michelle Hauf is about a tooth faery. It is in the anthology:

Faeries Gone Wild by MaryJanice Davidson

message 41: by Jennifer N. (new)

Jennifer N. | 423 comments Would The Princess Bride work?

message 42: by Sandy (new)

Jennifer N. wrote: "Would The Princess Bride work?"

sure will

message 43: by JenniferD (last edited May 21, 2010 01:22PM) (new)

JenniferD (jooniperd) Hello! On the Goodreads list Cindy linked to (post #9), Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal is listed. Would you accept this book? :D

message 44: by Liz M (new)

Liz M How about The Hobbit: Or There and Back Again?

I somehow have managed to avoid reading it, even though I have read & reread LoTR many times.

message 45: by Petra (new)

Petra Cindy, thanks for the link!

Sandy, is Stardust be acceptable? The reviews mention "adult fairy tale" but nowhere does it seay which fairy tale its retelling.
If so, I'll read Stardust and Bound.

message 46: by Sandy (new)

Jennifer wrote: "Hello! On the Goodreads list Cindy linked to (post #9), Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal is listed. Would you accept this book? :D"

I looked at the description again, and even though it's on that list, I just don't see it as a fairy tale - more of a religious/mythology parody. It doesn't seem to have any of the elements of a fairy tale.

message 47: by Sandy (new)

Liz wrote: "How about The Hobbit: Or There and Back Again?

I somehow have managed to avoid reading it, even though I have read & reread LoTR many times."

That works. It has the basic fairy tale elements.

message 48: by Sandy (new)

Petra wrote: "Cindy, thanks for the link!

Sandy, is Stardust be acceptable? The reviews mention "adult fairy tale" but nowhere does it seay which fairy tale its retelling.
If so, I'll read St..."

the fairy tale doesn't have to be a retelling - it can be its own new story, as long as it meets the general characteristics of a fairy tale.

message 49: by JenniferD (new)

JenniferD (jooniperd) Sandy wrote: "I looked at the description again, and even though it's on that list, I just don't see it as a fairy tale - more of a religious/mythology parody..."

I know. Weird, right? I thought it would be a no-go, but I own the book so thought I would at least ask. Thanks Sandy. :D

message 50: by Petra (new)

Petra Sandy wrote: "the fairy tale doesn't have to be a retelling - it can be its own new story, as long as it meets the general characteristics of a fairy tale. ..."

Thanks!

« previous 1