Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

YA Reading Challenge > YA Reading Challenge #4: Tasks and Discussion

Comments (showing 101-150 of 205) (205 new)    post a comment »

message 101: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (new)

Jennifer W | 1289 comments Mod
My library has 13 Reasons Why on downloadable audio, so I'm going to aim for that because it does seem like listening to it would work extremely well for that book.

message 102: by Kellee (new)

Kellee (KelleeMoye) Mic wrote: "Adding another task:
2.10: I "spun the globe" through a website: spintheglobe.net, which is a good virtual site if you need a random globe destination. I got China! So I'm selecting Ties That Bind, Ties That Break by Lensey Namioka..."

I just read that- it was very good. Enjoy!

message 103: by Michelle (last edited Apr 09, 2010 11:20AM) (new)

Michelle (MicNanDec) | 87 comments Does someone want to be so kind as to "push" a book to me for task 1.10? Most books that have been pushed to me are in my typical reading genre (Fantasy) or in the adult realm. I'm also looking for something easily checked out from the library. Thanks!

message 104: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (MLLoudRed) | 210 comments Mic wrote: "Does someone want to be so kind as to "push" a book to me for task 1.10? Most books that have been pushed to me are in my typical reading genre (Fantasy) or in the adult realm. I'm also looking f..."

One of my favorite authors is Joan Bauer, she writes contemporary fiction that usually has a strong female protagonist. Her books are funny and clean, appropriate for younger YA readers. My favorite was Squashed because my dad is a gardener, but I have enjoyed all of her books.

message 105: by Angela Sunshine (new)

Angela Sunshine (AngelaSunshine) I just finished The Devil's Arithmetic which is historical fiction about the Holocaust. It was well written.

message 106: by Kellee (new)

Kellee (KelleeMoye) Mic wrote: "Does someone want to be so kind as to "push" a book to me for task 1.10? Most books that have been pushed to me are in my typical reading genre (Fantasy) or in the adult realm. I'm also looking f..."

I love Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech!! READ IT READ IT!!!

@Mic & Mandy- Hope was Here by Joan Bauer is fantastic. As was Peeled.

message 107: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (MicNanDec) | 87 comments Kellee wrote: "Mic wrote: "Does someone want to be so kind as to "push" a book to me for task 1.10? Most books that have been pushed to me are in my typical reading genre (Fantasy) or in the adult realm. I'm al..."

I've read Walk Two Moons: excellent read! I would recommend that one as well. Hope was Here was also a great read. Might try a different Joan Bauer.
The Devil's Arithmatic also sounds really good. Thanks for the suggestions!

message 108: by Kellee (new)

Kellee (KelleeMoye) Hi Misty- My points and page numbers are incorrect on the last scoreboard. I have 50 points and read 1461 pages.

message 109: by Misty (last edited Apr 10, 2010 09:23PM) (new)

Misty | 1505 comments Oops. You're right, I somehow missed your post. But you have 1467 pages -- the first listing for Ties that Bind is 160 pages, not 154.
It's fixed now.

message 110: by Kellee (last edited Apr 10, 2010 09:25PM) (new)

Kellee (KelleeMoye) Misty wrote: "Oops. You're right, I somehow missed your post. But you have 1467 pages -- the first listing for Ties that Bind is 160 pages, not 154.
It's fixed now."

No problem :) Thanks for fixing it.
I am just putting the number of pages in the actual book I read.

message 111: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments That's fine, I always check the books for the first listing to keep it fair.

message 112: by Kellee (new)

Kellee (KelleeMoye) Misty wrote: "That's fine, I always check the books for the first listing to keep it fair."

Okay :)

message 113: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (MicNanDec) | 87 comments 1.25 Read 2 books from a series or by the same author. I just finished Runaway by Wendelin Van Draanen and it was a companion to Sammy Keyes and the Sisters of Mercy. These books fall into the early YA range of about 6 to 7th grade, a bit younger for the Sammy Keyes book. I'm treating them as YA due to the subject matter of Runaway and that those who are interested in Sammy Keyes will probably pick it up as well.

message 114: by Misty (last edited Apr 14, 2010 11:51AM) (new)

Misty | 1505 comments I think Middle Grade books are often treated as YA, especially as there is a range of reading skills throughout middle/high school.
So what did you think of them?
And make sure you report your points! :D

message 115: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments Just as a real quick question:
How are you guys enjoying the slant so far? I know it's early, but for those of you playing along, you seem to have read a fair amount of books so far -- have you come across anything that really made you think, or that you didn't expect to like the way you did?
At any point, any time this happens, let us know!
^_^

message 116: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (MicNanDec) | 87 comments Misty wrote: "I think Middle Grade books are often treated as YA, especially as there is a range of reading skills throughout middle/high school.
So what did you think of them?
And make sure you report your po..."

Middle School books are in that fuzzy crossover area. A good example of this is the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series. It's marketed to 6-8th graders but I have plenty of HS students who like them too. It's also really difficult to classify some of these books so they tend to get shelved in multiple areas. A good example of that is the Harry Potter series, in my library they are shelved in Juvenile (children's room), YA section and in some cases the Adult Fiction section.

I just read the Runaway book, and I gave it 3 stars (I think). The voice seemed a bit too old for the main character, but it had a lot of adventure and action in it with a nice, warm, fuzzy ending. Very appropriate for the age group (6-8 graders) particularly for those who want some grit but happy ending. Sammy Keyes is more marketed for 4-6 graders but I do see a lot of 7-8 graders reading them, too.

message 117: by Angela Sunshine (new)

Angela Sunshine (AngelaSunshine) Mic wrote: "Kellee wrote: "Mic wrote: "Does someone want to be so kind as to "push" a book to me for task 1.10? Most books that have been pushed to me are in my typical reading genre (Fantasy) or in the adult..."

Mic, I have a copy of The Devil's Arithmetic on the GR swap right now. (I mistakenly ordered two copies!) Just in case you wanted to get it!

message 118: by Kellee (new)

Kellee (KelleeMoye) Misty wrote: "Just as a real quick question:
How are you guys enjoying the slant so far? I know it's early, but for those of you playing along, you seem to have read a fair amount of books so far -- have you co..."

I am really enjoying the challenge right now.
I haven't been reading as much this week (baseball season started), but I have loved being forced to read books I was putting off or have never heard of.

message 119: by Kellee (new)

Kellee (KelleeMoye) Misty,
How'd you like How I Live Now?

message 120: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments It was really interesting. I was slightly let down by the end, but for the most part, I really liked the choices Rosoff made in the writing. It's stream-of-consciousness, and it gets more and more normal as the situation gets crazier and crazier. I think some of the things that happen will put some people off, but I liked it and think the characters and story will stick with me for awhile.

message 121: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments Oh, I see you've read it. Well, I guess you didn't really need my explanation, just: Yes, I quite liked it. :D

message 122: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (MLLoudRed) | 210 comments I just finished This World We Live In, the third book in the series that started with Life As We Knew It. The diary format worked very well, especially because Miranda keeping a diary was part of the storyline-- she was often the only one who knew what day it was, she was worried about someone finding them, etc. This book tied up the loose ends from the first two, which I was happy to see.

message 123: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments I have the first one, but I haven't read it yet. Wanted to work it into this challenge somehow, but I don't think that's going to happen, so maybe sometime this summer...

message 124: by Kellee (new)

Kellee (KelleeMoye) Misty,
I really loved the audio of The Looking Glass Wars. It gave the book a whole different personality than just reading it. The narrator, Gerard Doyle, was fabulous and brings the characters to life. It does help, though, that the story is FANTASTIC in the first place :)

message 125: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments See, I was a bit indifferent to the book -- I wanted more and felt it lacked polish. But it was so action filled that I think if it's read right, I might like it more.

message 126: by Kellee (new)

Kellee (KelleeMoye) Misty wrote: "See, I was a bit indifferent to the book -- I wanted more and felt it lacked polish. But it was so action filled that I think if it's read right, I might like it more."

If you want to try it- it is a fabulous audiobook. I think sometimes audiobooks can get addictive and you forget about some of the flaws because you just want to know what happens next.

message 127: by Mandy (last edited Apr 30, 2010 05:43AM) (new)

Mandy (MLLoudRed) | 210 comments Kellee wrote: I think sometimes audiobooks can get addictive and you forget about some of the flaws because you just want to know what happens next.

Kellee, I agree, I used to make fun of my mom for listening to books on tape, but I'm a total convert. Now that I actually drive to work, it's a great way to pass the time.

message 128: by Misty (last edited May 27, 2010 08:02AM) (new)

Misty | 1505 comments Alright, made a few more changes and shuffles, and got all of my empty spots sussed out, so I think this is the final edit (fingers crossed).
I still likely won't make it all the way through, though...
Guess I just love me a list.
^_^

1.5 A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly
1.10 The Iron King by Julie Kagawa (pushed by many GR and blogger friends)
1.15 Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler (on the DCPL Teen Faith and Spirituality list)
1.20 Princess Ben by Catherine Gilbert Murdoch (on JOSIE's shelves)
1.25 Zan-Gah: A Prehistoric Adventure & Zan-Gah and the Beautiful Country (series by author I don't know + in genre I don't read)
Buddy Bonus: tbd

2.5 tbd (debating Brave Story, Eidi: The Children of Crow Cove or The Thief Lord, all translated Batchelder winners) <-- ok, this one I'm still undecided on
2.10 Across the Nightingale Floor by Lian Hearn (set in JAPAN)
2.15 The Beguilers (IRELAND'S BISTO AWARD) + A Little Wanting Song (AUSTRALIA'S CBC AWARD)
2.20 Fever 1793 by Laurie Halse Anderson + An American Plague: The True and Terrifying Story of the Yellow Fever Epidemic of 1793 by Jim Murphy (disclosure: Fever is a reread)
2.25 How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (set in ENGLAND) + The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm BY Nancy Farmer (set in ZIMBABWEI) [I chose world dystopias as my theme)
Buddy Bonus: [book:Wildwood Dancing|13929] by Juliet Marillier + the tale of The 12 Dancing Princesses (disclosure: Wildwood Dancing is a reread for me, not for Lydia)

3.5 Linda Grace challenge pick: June Summerland by Michael Chabon
3.10 Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher (book and audio)
3.15 genre #17: LGBT - The Bermudez Triangle
3.20 The Last Exit to Normal by Michael Harmon (LGBT) + All Over But the Shoutin' by Rick Bragg (NONFICTION)
3.25 I Heart You, You Haunt Me by Lisa Schroeder (POETRY) + Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel (MEMOIR/GRAPHIC NOVEL/LGBT) + Sorcery and Cecelia or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot (EPISTOLARY)
Buddy Bonus: Gather Together in My Name by Maya Angelou

4.5 Magic Under Glass by Jaclyn Dolamore -- reviewed here
4.10 Demons of the Ocean (Vampirates - series recommended to me quite enthusiastically by friend's son)
4.15 If I Stay by Gayle Foreman (one of my librarians' picks)
4.20 Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver
4.25Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev
-- still need to do tasks
Buddy Bonus: Foxfire by Joyce Carol Oates (Lydia's task 4.20 pick. Need to check the YAness of it, though, as I didn't know Oates ever wrote YA)

message 129: by Kellee (last edited May 10, 2010 03:49PM) (new)

Kellee (KelleeMoye) My two books for 2.20 were about the Hitler Youth and they were FABULOUS! Here are links to my reviews:

Historical Fiction: The Boy who Dared

Nonfiction: The Hitler Youth

message 130: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments I bought the book Hitler Youth awhile back for my mom (it was 25¢!), but I don't think she's read it yet. I might have to nab it back at some point.

message 131: by Kellee (new)

Kellee (KelleeMoye) Misty wrote: "I bought the book Hitler Youth awhile back for my mom (it was 25¢!), but I don't think she's read it yet. I might have to nab it back at some point."

It is one of my favorite nonfiction books that I've read. It taught me so much and was so easy to read! I really recommend it and it is an easy (and disturbing, but interesting) read.

message 132: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (new)

Jennifer W | 1289 comments Mod
I'd recommend it, too. I read it a while ago and was very impressed, both with the writing and the amazing stories of the youth. The pictures were what got me (those little girls saluting Hitler! Chills!).

message 133: by Mandy (last edited May 17, 2010 12:10PM) (new)

Mandy (MLLoudRed) | 210 comments Task 3.25 Audiobook--I listened to Born Confused. It was 12 discs, so it was long, but it did worked on audiobook. The Indian words were easier to understand when they were pronounced correctly, and the characters were distinct entities. (Apparently in the print version the dialogue does not always clearly distinguish who is speaking.)

message 134: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments Hmm, good to note. Thanks, Mandy!

message 135: by Kellee (new)

Kellee (KelleeMoye) For the challenge I have been reading a TON of multicultural books and most have been from Asia/The Middle East. If anyone else has read or is interested in reading multicultural books that fall under that region, I started a thread: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3...

message 136: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (MLLoudRed) | 210 comments Here's my playlist for One Wish to complete task 4.25:

-what makes you different makes you beautiful by the Backstreet Boys
-look at me, I'm Sandra Dee from Grease
-miss popularity by jordan pruitt
-mean girls by sugarland
-help by the Beatles
-courage by superchick
-it's gonna be me by N SYNC

message 137: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments Great!
How did you choose your songs? Were they all ones you knew, or did you do a little research?
=)

message 138: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (MLLoudRed) | 210 comments I wanted to make the songs plot-related. So I went through the songs I had and did a little research for the others. I didn't know any songs about eating disorders, but I really liked the song "courage" that I found, I think it described the mood near the end of the book pretty well. I also wanted to incorporate the main character's fascination with the popular crowd, which is where "Miss popularity" and "Mean girls" came in. It was an interesting experience making a playlist for a book, I've never done something like that before.

message 139: by Angela Sunshine (new)

Angela Sunshine (AngelaSunshine) Misty, would a bookmark work for 4.25 by any chance??

message 140: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments Sure, why not? It's creating something based on the book, after all.

message 141: by Angela Sunshine (new)

Angela Sunshine (AngelaSunshine) Ok, good. Since I'm in bookmark mode anyhow. Hmm, how to portray a Spackle.. haha

message 142: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments Ooh...intrigued!

message 143: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments A bookmark might actually work pretty nicely for mine, too (Eyes Like Stars). I think I might make a few things for it, actually (rather than just 2), because I sort of wanted to do a playlist, and I am in the process right now of making cinnamon rolls, and I'm going to make a couple of fairy-sized ones. :)

message 144: by Angela Sunshine (new)

Angela Sunshine (AngelaSunshine) I really liked doing the playlist. I hadn't intended to choose that task, but Never Let You Down by the Verve Pipe is one of my favorite songs and when I heard it last it said Todd to me.

message 145: by Heather (new)

Heather Ohana (blackdotbug) Maybe I'll do a playlist for Boneshaker for the other creative part of the task. I don't normally think of music when I'm reading so I'll have to really think about it. I'm still collecting steam-punky bits for my sewing project. I think I'm about ready to begin sewing on it.

message 146: by Misty (new)

Misty | 1505 comments A steampunk/zombie playlist. That has the makings of greatness...

message 147: by Heather (new)

Heather Ohana (blackdotbug) I was thinking one of the options for 3.5 was to read one of the two monthly discussion books. I was hoping to use Life As We Knew It for that one. Is it only the thread formerly known as the Linda Grace Challenge?

message 148: by Misty (last edited May 25, 2010 02:35PM) (new)

Misty | 1505 comments It's the Kellee Challenge now (she took it over).
I suppose we could expand to the monthly group reads. I mean, there's only a handful of us, so if none of the rest of you mind, I don't.
I'd been wanting to read it, too, and couldn't fit it in. I have it, and it's just sitting there, waiting patiently for me.
(Same with Boneshaker)

message 149: by Kellee (new)

Kellee (KelleeMoye) I don't mind although we need more monthly challenge participants too :)

message 150: by Heather (new)

Heather Ohana (blackdotbug) It's your guys' call. I still have that "suggested by a YA" task to fill. I'm sure some YA somewhere would have suggested I read Life As We Knew It. :P

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Magic Under Glass (other topics)
The Thief Lord (other topics)
Eidi: The Children of Crow Cove (other topics)
The Truth About Forever (other topics)
Demons of the Ocean (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Patricia McCormick (other topics)
Sherry Garland (other topics)
Isabel Allende (other topics)
John Marsden (other topics)
Lensey Namioka (other topics)
More...