Start by marking “The Thief Lord” as Want to Read:
The Thief Lord

The Thief Lord

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  72,379 Ratings  ·  3,643 Reviews
"Do you sometimes wish you were grown-up?" Venice. Autumn.
Rich Aunt Esther wants only angelic orphan Boniface 5, not serious Prospero 12. She hires PI Victor Getz. Thief Lord Scipo brings loot, clothes, to runaways in abandoned theatre Stella. Hornet adds brothers to gang with tall Mosca and scrawny Riccio.

But Scipio hides a secret. And old Conte from a cursed isle wants
Published July 17th 2002 by Chicken House (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Thief Lord, please sign up.
Aisha Not everyone has the same opinion. For me, I didn't like how the magic system popped up out of nowhere in the middle of the book, neither how everyone…moreNot everyone has the same opinion. For me, I didn't like how the magic system popped up out of nowhere in the middle of the book, neither how everyone acted like its normal. The ending was disappointing and the adults didn't act like how adults would normally behave. In addition to the strands that were left dangling by the end of the story (like hornets past).(less)
Michael Rhode I just gave it three stars as that's my average rating for a book I enjoy, but wouldn't go out of my way to reread or recommend.
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanTwilight by Stephenie MeyerThe Giver by Lois LowryThe Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Best Young Adult Books
11,064 books — 76,110 voters
The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott LynchThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Thief by Megan Whalen TurnerArtemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer
Thieves
574 books — 1,221 voters

More lists with this book...

Jonathan Terrington

I've read more books than I remember. From the classy literature books (the classics) to the crummy excuses of children's novels thrown into the public libraries to con young readers into believing that they possess quality my reading has been deep and varied. Yet there are some novels I read as a child that impacted me enough to cause me to read them over again. The Thief Lord is one of those books.

What is The Thief Lord? It is a fantasy tale and an adventure story combined and set in modern Ve
✨    jamieson   ✨
THIS IS ONE OF MY ALL TIME FAVOURITE BOOKS!

I love the characters, the world, the story. Scipio was like one of my first book crushes lmao. Seriously, this book is so exciting and fun and has such a great cast of characters who all have such genuine, important friendships and it's magical and beautiful could not recommend it highly enough.

It's like Six of Crows except they live in a movie theatre and they are all like 12

KINDA wanna reread it again now its just the BEST
Tamlynn
Dec 09, 2008 rated it liked it
Ahmad Sharabiani
Herr der Diebe = The Thief Lord, Cornelia Funke
The Thief Lord is a children's novel written by Cornelia Funke. It was published in Germany in 2000 and translated into English by Oliver Latsch in 2002 for The Chicken House, a division of Scholastic publishing company. It was also adapted into a film in 2006.
The Thief Lord follows the story of brothers, Prosper and Boniface (Bo), who run away to Venice, Italy. They are taken in by a group of street children who live in an abandoned movie theater -
Allison
Set in contemporary Venice (around the time of both answering machines and cell phones), this is not exactly what I expected, which was a historical fantasy with lighthearted, adventurous thieving in it. What I got was a more realistic tale of runaways and orphans trying to make it in a contemporary city. Still, bonus points for Venice!

There was a little bit of thieving, but it was more desperate, the group of kids scraping by while living in an abandoned movie theater. It was sad, but heartwarm
Jackie "the Librarian"
Sep 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Venice lovers
It's a great fantasy: Let's run away to Venice, and hide out in an old movie theater. We can dye our hair blonde, so no one will ever find us!
In a way, this is a European version of From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, with siblings running away to a place stuffed with antiquities, and getting mixed up in an art mystery. I guess Victor the detective must have the Mrs. Frankweiler role.
I didn't expect the touch of fantasy at the end. I'd love to read a sequel to find out what ha
Peter
Aug 19, 2007 added it
Shelves: tutoring
Book of the Year Awards... Really? Is it unsympathetic of me to think that this book is... childish? How reductive should authors of children's lit be?

I've been working with a young student this summer, and The Thief Lord, by Cornelia Funke, is a big favorite on the sixth grade circuit. This particular boy had chosen it for summer reading, and so I picked up a copy for myself.

Enh.

Billed as a "fantastical journey" through "the magical underworld of Venice, Italy", The Thief Lord follows a pair of
⇢Eryn
2 / 5

It breaks my heart to say this, but this is my first skimmed/dnf book of 2018. I was really hoping I wouldn’t have any this year … oh well. I have to stick to my philosophy that “life is too short to push yourself to read books you’re not into.” I think most people can agree with that. So many books, so little time, you know?

Really, I don’t have much to say. The Thief Lord started off promising (I really enjoyed Chapter One with Victor and his internal bluntness)—however, the other ch
Denise Bücherwunderland
Ach wie süß!
Ich habe das Buch schon einmal als Kind gelesen, aber ehrlich gesagt konnte ich mich nur noch an den Anfang erinnern und wusste sonst nur noch schemenhaft worum es ging.
Deswegen habe ich mir das Buch vor einiger Zeit nochmal gekauft und es jetzt gelesen 😁.

Die Geschichte rund um Prosper, Bo, Wespe, dem Herrn der Diebe und den anderen, werden wohl viele von euch schon kennen 😁.
Ich finde sie einfach süß!
Allerdings möchte ich nicht zu viel dazu sagen falls ihr das Buch noch nicht gele
Kwesi 章英狮
This book did not work well to me, Cornelia Funke gave me another headache after reading her Inkheart series which I thought will be one of my favorites since the movie was great. I did like the movie very much and I dug a hole 6 feet under for the whole series not be seen by my eyes again. Well, I think I broke one of the important rules of reading and watching book-tie-in stuff. I did watch the movie before the book so that made things worst but I was hoping not.

The last time I remember readin
aria [dear darling reader]
Dec 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those who are child-at-heart
Recommended to aria [dear darling reader] by: Apokripos
Venice would be one of the places I'd visit before I die.
The story of The Thief Lord weaved wonderfully with the gorgeous city of Venice.
If this story had been in a different location it might not have been as appealing.
I love it when a book takes me to places I have never been before.
I rarely travel so that factor is very important to me.
This book did just that.
It took me straight to Venice.
Not only did it take me to Venice, I felt like I was right in the midst of the story.
Like I was one of th
Kris
By the time I hit chapter 45 out of 52, my interest in the plot started fizzling out.

The characters are well-drawn, but there’s not much development or growth shown over the course of the story. The plot takes place within a modern setting, but a fantastical element is thrown in kind of randomly. It feels out of place and there’s a lot of exposition surrounding it. The setting is great, with some nice details thrown into the action and descriptions. But generally the writing isn’t particularly s
Deborah O'Carroll
Peter Pan meets Six of Crows (a younger version) meets The Boxcar Children in modern-day Venice with a slight twist of fantasy near the end, in this gripping adventure tale of two brothers and their unexpected friends... especially a mysterious boy named Scipio. I adored how Prosper looked after Bo--it made me happy. (Also, pet tortoises! Poor Victor. XD)

Solid 4 stars throughout, might have made it to 5 stars if it had ended how I wanted... As it is, it's being kept from a disappointed-2-stars c
Ginger
Oct 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, ya-kiddos
This was a cute read.
Kind of a mix between Peter Pan/Robin Hood/Oliver Twist. I thought the magical aspect would run heavier in the story than it did.
I enjoyed running around on the streets of Venice with these kids, seeing it through their eyes.
Jenniferxoxo
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolute 5 Sterne! Eine unglaublich schöne Geschichte, mit viel Emotionen Witz und voll mit Liebe. Ich habe es als Hörbuch gehört es wurde so schön erzählt und die Musik zwischen den Kapiteln hat das ganze noch wirklicher erscheinen lassen. :) auf Cornelia Funke ist einfach immer Verlass!
Ann
Mar 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
I kept fluctuating between 3 and four stars. Ultimately I'd probably opt for 3 and 1/2, but since that's not an option, I'll go with four because I think it's more of a personal taste thing over the quality of the book.

I'm a huge fan of "Inkheart" so had high hopes for this novel. I quickly realized the two have very different styles, and rightfully so, as this book is (at least I assume) geared for a younger audience.

The cast of characters is delightful, each with their own stories and personal
Iida
Jan 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: four-stars
I read The Thief Lord two years back when I was in Venice for skiing holiday. The book is excellent, and combined with the right surroundings I was smitten.

Venice in the winter is misty and dreamy, and when we walked around the city, I could almost see the Thief Lord running around with his friends, cunningly planning their theft, getting more and more mixed up in the plots of grown-ups around them. Funke's storytelling is wonderful, her characters believable, and, for a children's book, The Th
Gabrielle
Jul 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
still such a brilliant book reading as an adult.
I love the imagination and beauty of this book
AH SO GOOD.
I hope Cornelia continues writing beautiful stories like this.
Clarissa Amabel
May 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-book
What a wonderful story!

My favorite character, aside from the kids, is Venice herself. Cornelia Funke has weaved her story so brilliantly in a gorgeous setting, describing the city as if it had its own personality. I think the story wouldn't be as awesome if it were set somewhere else. The mystery that is Venice, the beauty that is Venice... it took my breath away more than once. I also adore the simple illustrations that began each chapter, allowing us a glimpse of the wonderful world these kids
e.c.h.a
Orang dewasa tidak ingat lagi, bagaimana rasanya,
menjadi anak-anak.
Walaupun mereka mengaku begitu.
Mereka tidak tahu lagi. Percayalah padaku.
Mereka sudah lupa semuanya.
Betapa dunia dahulu berkesan lebih besar bagi mereka.
Betapa repotnya memanjat ke atas kursi.
Bagaimana rasanya kalau harus selalu menengadah?
Lupa.
Mereka tidak tahu lagi.
Kau pun akan melupakannya.
Kadang-kadang orang dewasa bercerita, betapa indahnya
ketika mereka masih anak-anak.
Mereka bahkan bermimpi menjadi anak-anak lagi.
Tetapi apa
Jamie
Mar 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I was told to start with this book, but began with Inkheart instead. Inkheart is entirely of a different variety, totally magical, but this one is destined to be the classic. Set in the streets of Venice, this book has it all: Italian culture, street savvy kids, the Robin Hood-like notion of stealing from the rich to give to the poor, all the while echoing a sort of Les Miserables-like Griviche type thing.
Everybody loves a gang of orphans! These orphans live in a run down movie theater and rule
Jenny
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book helped me to escape from myself.

2016 and 2017 were tough years for me. I was always generally healthy, which didn't serve me well when my body and mind seemed to break apart gradually but ever so steadily. I didn't know how to take care of myself. And when I finally managed to learn, I became obsessed. It became a different kind of unhealthy. I needed to let my mind run far elsewhere, but fear kept drawing me back.. until I picked up The Thief Lord (and Harry Potter again <3)

This bo
demetriaa h.
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book is so good, what a wonderful mix of reality and fantasy! I enjoyed it a lot, even though adventure is not my favourite genre. My favourite character is Scipio, let's applaud him for how much he has changed :)
Sinta Nisfuanna
Bagian paling kusuka dalam kisah Pangeran Pencuri adalah setting tempat yang dideskripsikan dengan sangat baik. Penggambaran sungai yang dipenuhi gondola, jalanan selayak labirin, dan patung/bangunan museum di Venesia, menjadi latar yang sangat mendukung petualangan Prosper-Bo bersama Pangeran Pencuri dan kawan-kawan.

Proper-Bo kabur dari Bibi mereka yang sengaja ingin memisahkan kakak-beradik ini setelah kematian ibunya. Venesia, kota ajaib yang selalu didongengkan sang ibu menjadi tujuan merek
Shaikha
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book as a kid. ❤
Taylor Natkin
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Thief Lord, by Cornelia Funke, is a fantasy novel about a two orphaned kids. After being told Prosper, a boy around twelve years of age, and his younger brother, Bo, were going to be separated through adoption, they run away to Venice, Italy. Nearing winter, Prosper believed he would have to turn themselves in to save his little brother, who was ill. Luckily, the boys were saved by a young girl, with the nickname Hornet. She brought them to her hideout, which held two more boys. Their leade ...more
Mohamad Efazati
واقعیتش من این و به عنوان هدیه برای کسی خریدم و قبل از هدیه دادن خواندمش. خیلی گروه سنیش نزدیک من نبود
داستانش بعضی جاها کش اومده بود
و بهترین تصویرهاش هم از ونیز بود..

در کل به عنوان کتاب متوسط خوب بود :)
Abduraafi Andrian
"Apa saja yang dikerjakan orang dewasa sepanjang hari, Victor?"

"Bekerja. Makan, belanja, membayar tagihan, menelepon, membaca koran, minum kopi, pergi tidur."

"Membosankan."

"Begitulah."

-----

Saat-saat ketika kau begitu rindu dengan kebiasaan lamamu; membaca fantasi. Kau akan melakukan apa saja untuk melepas rindu itu; mengorbankan waktu tidurmu, misalnya. Menyenangkan. Khas Funke (walaupun baru baca "Reckless" saja). Ada yang mau meminjamkan "Inkheart" series?

Kata kunci: komidi putar, Venezia, ana
Patrick
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eines meiner Lieblingsbücher als Kind. Ich habe mir immer vorgestellt selbst durch Venedig zu laufen und in einem Kino zu leben. Ein paar Stellen aus dem Buch konnte ich auch letzens selbst in Venedig besuchen, war dann schon so ein Kindheitstraum der wahr wurde :D
do you want to read this book? 7 28 Dec 06, 2017 03:30PM
2018 Reading Chal...: 2015 Reading Challenge 2 34 Mar 23, 2015 10:31PM
How great is it? 46 139 Dec 31, 2014 03:19AM
Who loves this book? 37 123 Dec 31, 2014 03:14AM
  • Island of the Aunts
  • The Sea of Trolls (Sea of Trolls, #1)
  • The Water Mirror (Dark Reflections, #1)
  • Starclimber (Matt Cruse, #3)
  • Flyte (Septimus Heap, #2)
  • The Supernaturalist
  • Midnight Magic (Midnight Magic, #2)
  • The Great Good Thing (The Sylvie Cycle, #1)
  • Princess Sonora and the Long Sleep (The Princess Tales, #3)
  • The Tenth City (The Land of Elyon, #3)
  • The Secret of Castle Cant: Being an Account of the Remarkable Adventures of Lucy Wickwright, Maidservant and Spy
  • The Little Ghost
  • Fly by Night (Fly by Night, #1)
  • How to Disappear Completely and Never Be Found
  • The Word Eater
  • City of Flowers (Stravaganza, #3)
  • Chasing Redbird
  • Time Cat
Cornelia Funke is a multiple award-winning German illustrator and storyteller, who writes fantasy for all ages of readers. Amongst her best known books is the Inkheart trilogy. Many of Cornelia's titles are published all over the world and translated into more than 30 languages. She has two children, two birds and a very old dog and lives in Los Angeles, California.
“Children are caterpillars and adults are butterflies. No butterfly ever remembers what it felt like being a caterpillar.” 88 likes
“-You forgot something important!
-What?