Into the Forest discussion

General > Introductions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 523 (523 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

message 1: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) | 1388 comments Mod
Since we have some new members, I've started this topic in case anyone wants to introduce him or herself.

If you're new, feel free to add books or start a topic.

message 2: by Mawgojzeta (last edited Mar 16, 2010 09:28AM) (new)

Mawgojzeta | 240 comments I am a couple of weeks new...

My handle, Mawgojzeta, is pronounced (for anyone that actually cares) Ma - go - ZHET - ah. It is the name in a song called "Goldfish & Clowns" by a Scottish singer named Fish. I was told, but am not certain, that it is a Polish version of Margaret. I use it for everything I do online.

In the real world I am Heidi. I live in rural Wisconsin, U.S.A. and am 38 years young - haha.

I am an insane book reader and my list of books read is only limited by my memory of book titles. I have averaged 3-4 books a week since I was about 15. If I am not reading for fun, I am reading to learn. Currently, the Certified Management Accountant study course is taking up a great deal of my time, and that is not fun reading for me. I will be so happy to be done with the exams.

I will read anything if handed to me. If I am selecting myself, I tend to chose fantasy, folklore, science fiction, etc. and shy away from westerns and detective/cop/lawyer kind of books.

message 3: by Christine (new)

Welcome both of you.

I'm Chris, and I'll read just about anything that sounds interesting, at least sounds intersting to me, sometimes other people don't think it sounds interesting.

message 4: by Tonie (new)

Tonie i'm tonie i live in ohio. i'm new to good reads and i'm 18 yrs old. i love most books my faviorites are fantasy. right now i'm reading the city of bones series its really good

message 5: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta | 240 comments Hi, Tonie. I just read the reviews for City of Bones. Sounds like it starts out an interesting series.

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1 comments Hi Everyone! I'm Amanda from Maine, thought this looke like a group with similar interests to me. I already have The Book of Lost Things, so i'm ready for the group read!

message 7: by Whitaker (new)

Whitaker (lechatquilit) Amanda wrote: "Hi Everyone! I'm Amanda from Maine, thought this looke like a group with similar interests to me. I already have The Book of Lost Things, so i'm ready for the group read!"

Great! Welcome aboard! Hope to see you at the discussion.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for letting me into the group. I'm learning my way around Goodreads. It is so tempting for a writer to intrude on groups like this just to promote their book. After going through various sections of this group, and others, I think it's best not to do that.

I'm so busy these days with marketing my current book, placing ads, and playing nice writer, I've hardly had time to read or go back to writing. I hope you will still have space for me when I become more active. Great group!

Always best regards,
Deborah

message 9: by Elley (new)

Elley Murray (elleyotter) Hi! I'm Elley, but I go by Grimalkin or Grim online most of the time... Sometimes I feel like I've read everything there is that I'd want to read, and then I stumble across another gem (or another gem of an author, which unearths a whole treasure trove of printed goodness!) and am off and running again!!

I was (and am) so excited to find this group! I DEVOUR fairy tales, and have a collection of childrens books of different versions (my favorites being the different Cinderella stories from each culture, like Yeh-Shen or the Egyptian Cinderella) and am always looking for new interpretations of fairy tales.

I'm part of a writing group that's writing new interpretations or stories based on themes of various classic fairy tales - because we just can't get enough off fairy tales, we need to write our own!!

I'm so excited to be part of this group - I've been here 10 minutes and already my bookshelf is growing like some sort of rogue beanstalk. x.x;;

message 10: by Christine (new)

Welcome Elley.

message 11: by Hazel (new)

Hazel | 71 comments Elley wrote: "Hi! I'm Elley, but I go by Grimalkin or Grim online most of the time... Sometimes I feel like I've read everything there is that I'd want to read, and then I stumble across another gem (or another ..."

Welcome from me too, Elley. Love your enthusiasm.

message 12: by Christine (new)

Just what to give a quick welcome to the new members.

Hi all.

message 13: by Nicola (new)

Nicola (technicola) Hello, I've just joined. I'm Nicola, I'm 21 and I live in Scotland. I've been on goodreads since the start of the year but this is the first time I've ventured into the groups area! I love fairy and folk tales so this seemed perfect.

message 14: by Hazel (new)

Hazel | 71 comments Welcome, Nicola. Take a look at our current group read.

message 15: by Christine (new)

Welcome Nicola!

message 16: by Nicola (new)

Nicola (technicola) Thanks for the welcome :]

message 17: by Cherie (new)

Cherie | 4 comments Hi Nicola! Welcome!

message 18: by Tia (new)

Tia (tianevitt) Hi, I'm Tia. Since I've written a fairy tale retelling, I think I'll fit right in here. Right now, I'm reading Elizabeth Bunce's A CURSE AS DARK AS GOLD, a retelling of Rumplestiltskin.

tia

message 19: by Christine (new)

Welcome Tia.

message 20: by Cherie (new)

Cherie | 4 comments Hi Tia! Welcome!!!!

message 21: by Christine (new)

Just posting a comment to bump this up the list.

message 22: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (hottoddie) | 4 comments Hello Maeve, and everyone else:) I am quite new to Good Reads and loving the access to loads of new genres and books reviews. My to read list is growing daily! I love stories and story telling and think this is a great idea for a group. I havn't read many retellings of tairy stories but have added plenty from your group book shelf so am quite excited about widening my experience

message 23: by Sam (new)

Sam (Sam_W) | 2 comments Hi, I'm Sam and fairly new to Goodreads as well as to this group. I'm a lifelong mythology fan after an early introduction to 'real' fairy tales by my mother. Some of my free time goes towards working on getting mythology and folklore (and some other genres) onto Project Gutenberg where they can be read for free. I'm looking forward to find lots of great titles from this group to feed my reading habits!

message 24: by Christine (new)

Welcome to all the recent additions. Glad you joined.

message 25: by Annetta (new)

Annetta Ribken (msnetta) | 6 comments Hi :) My name's Annetta, and I have been obsessed with fairy tales and mythology since I was just out of diapers. I saw this group and couldn't resist.

I'm a freelance writer/editor and I live just outside St. Louis with my cat, named Athena. She's a mean kitty but I love her to death. Even when she tries to eat my feet or knocks all the books of the shelf. *sigh*

Nice to meet everyone!

message 26: by Christine (new)

As a cat owner, I have to wonder if the names we chose for them sometimes influence them. My cat Mab is under the mistaken impression she is named after Mad Mab from The Once and Future King, and not Shelley's Mab. I love her, but she is a pain.

message 27: by Glinda the Gallifreyan (last edited Jan 09, 2012 06:13PM) (new)

Glinda the Gallifreyan Hello, everyone! I'm Glindafied of the West (I know, another Wicked-obsessed person, right?), and I'm obsessed with the musical Wicked. Emphasis on the musical, as it is much better than the book. You all can call me Glinda for short. =]

Wait, for the 'Group Rules'... "Spamming or rudeness will result in the appearane of the Wicked Witch?" All I have to say is, "Hi, Elphie!" =]

On the subject of cats, I'm much more of a dog person. That is all I have to say. Period. =]

I pretty much only read fiction/fantasy/mythology-- anything that isn't nonfiction. :) I especially love Greek and Norse mythology, though I'm much more familiar with the Greek myths.

message 28: by Candace (new)

Candace Pettit | 28 comments Hi all. I've been poking around for a while, but never did the introduction thing. I'm Candace. I love fairy tales and read all the adaptations and retellings I can get my hands on.

I work in computers. I live in Indianapolis with my boyfriend and our 4 cats - Jacquelyn (Jack for short), Luna, Isis, and Minerva (Mina for short). I love the number 4, as you can probably tell.

message 29: by Kristina (new)

Kristina Wojtaszek | 23 comments Hi everyone! Glad to see what an enormous bookshelf this group has! I am recently addicted to fairy tale retellings, and I am also writing some!

message 30: by Kristina (new)

Kristina Wojtaszek | 23 comments Hi everyone! Glad to see what an enormous bookshelf this group has! I am recently addicted to fairy tale retellings, and I am also writing some!

message 31: by Jade (new)

Jade (jadev) Hi! I'm Jade. I'm french and I love fairy tales and their modern retellings in all shapes and forms: books, movies, series (loved the 10th Kingdom and I like Once Upon a Time and Grimm at the moment)

message 32: by Jalilah (last edited Jan 11, 2014 01:18PM) (new)

Jalilah | 4343 comments Mod
I've already posted but not officially introduced myself.
So Hi!
I go by jalilah and I am a dance teacher living in Ottawa, Ontario. I've always loved folklore and mythology, but realised when my son was little and I started reading to him that a lot of what I know of European Faerie tales come from Walt Disney versions. I only recently discovered all the great Faerie tale retellings for grownups. I am currently reading the Endicott Mythic fiction list.

message 33: by Alex (new)

Alex Fayle (alexffayle) Hello all:

New to the group but have been around GoodReads for a few months now. I grew up on mythic fiction in the 80s (de Linet and the whole Windling circle of writers). My own fiction definitely has that flavor, too.

As for cats, I agree completely Chris. I named my cat Killashandra Ree from McCaffrey's Crystal Singer series and wow... did she ever fit the personality. Sweet as pie when she wanted something and pure evil when she felt she was being crossed in some way. ;)

message 34: by Annetta (new)

Annetta Ribken (msnetta) | 6 comments I'm just an innocent bystander. I was on a local pet site and I saw this sad little kitty face, and when I saw her name was Athena I knew my fate was sealed (my first novel is titled "Athena's Promise"). She loves to shred my toilet paper and eats bugs. She was at the shelter for about six months :( For the longest time she wouldn't approach me at all, but she's a little friendlier now. She won't let anyone pick her up, but she loves to be petted by feet. She's so weird, heh.

She's funny but all attitude. We get along great.

message 35: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Thorne (jennifer_thorne) | 5 comments I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I'm a fanatical fairytale and fantasy reader from waaaay back (well, not so way back, but enough). I'm looking forward to poking through this group and getting to know folks.
(Plus, my first published story just came out, and it's a fairytale, so I thought it might be of interest to some.)
Cheers!

message 36: by Kristina (new)

Kristina Wojtaszek | 23 comments Congratulations Jennifer! Where can we find your story? I am a hopeful writer myself, so I can imagine how excited you must be! I would love to read it!

message 37: by Kevin (new)

Kevin hey all! I saw this on the featured groups column and thought it looked good!!

message 38: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Fita | 2 comments Hi everyone,
My names Michelle and from Melbourne Australia
And i love reading anything Fantasy/supernatural

message 39: by Kevin (new)

Kevin me too :)

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello all. I'm Beth. I live in Michigan. I'm twenty and still in school. What a great idea for a group. I love reading fairy tale retellings. I haven't read the originals yet but its on my to-do list. :)

message 41: by Kevin (new)

Kevin looks like this group is still active :) seen a lot of dead ones :(

message 42: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (hottoddie) | 4 comments hi Kevin, Michelle and Beth .I'm very new here too. We who love fantasy seem to be drawn to this group :) Its similar but very different and means an exciting venture into new areaS

message 43: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 07, 2011 01:06PM) (new)

Thanks Elaine.:)
I know what you mean. I'm a big fantasy reader too and they're very compatible.:)

message 44: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Fita | 2 comments Kevin wrote: "me too :)"

Ha, awesome!

You just never know with good reads. Ppl are from all over...

message 45: by Ela (new)

Ela I guess I should introduce myself too :).
My real name is Helena, but I go by nickname Ela on the internet, so call me that, please. I'm from Czech Republic (central Europe if you're wondering...), I'm almost 22 years old and I study at uni, majors Czech and English.
I am huge fairytale fan and I enjoy reading original versions of fairytales as well as retellings. My favorite authors in this genre are Robin McKinley and Shannon Hale. I also enjoy watching fairytale movie adaptations (we have many of these in Czech :).
Besides fairytale stuff, I usually read all kinds of fantasy, especially Neil Gaiman or Dianna Wynne Jones. Rowling and Tolkien are on my list too :).

message 46: by Kevin (new)

Kevin lots of new people :p

message 47: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (4sweetz) | 1 comments Hi. I am brand new to goodreads and to this group. I love to read fantasy novels in addition to other types. Any book suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

message 48: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (starfish13) Hello, when this group crept up onto the featured groups list I was so intrigued that I had to join. My name is Vicky, and I'm originally from the north of Scotland but currently living near Oxford.

I recently picked up up Sara Maitland's [Book:Far North and Other Dark Tales|5198379] and absolutely loved it.

message 49: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 08, 2011 06:44AM) (new)

Thanks for sharing:) That book looks pretty good, so I added it to my ridiculously long to-read pile.

message 50: by Annetta (new)

Annetta Ribken (msnetta) | 6 comments I hope I don't die before I get to my TBR pile. In that case, I'd probably live at least another hundred years. Heh. (Oh, if only it worked that way!) :)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11