Start by marking “Geekerella (Once Upon a Con, #1)” as Want to Read:
Geekerella (Once Upon a Con, #1)

Geekerella

(Once Upon a Con #1)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  31,005 ratings  ·  7,306 reviews
Cinderella goes to the con in this fandom-fueled twist on the classic fairy tale.

Part romance, part love letter to nerd culture, and all totally adorbs, Geekerella is a fairy tale for anyone who believes in the magic of fandom. Geek girl Elle Wittimer lives and breathes Starfield, the classic sci-fi series she grew up watching with her late father. So when she sees a cospl
Published April 4th 2017 by Quirk Books

To ask other readers questions about Geekerella, please sign up.
Shannon I would highly recommend "Fangirl" by Rainbow Rowell, if you haven't already read it! :)
Jamie It does seem a bit Wattpad at first glance, but it reads less like a fanfiction and more like a hilarious, relatable love letter to all the nerds out…moreIt does seem a bit Wattpad at first glance, but it reads less like a fanfiction and more like a hilarious, relatable love letter to all the nerds out there.(less)
Always and Forever, Lara Jean by Jenny HanThe Hate U Give by Angie ThomasThe Upside of Unrequited by Becky AlbertalliBy Your Side by Kasie WestOne of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus
2017 YA contemporary
205 books — 588 voters
Lord of Shadows by Cassandra ClareKing's Cage by Victoria AveyardCarve the Mark by Veronica RothCaraval by Stephanie GarberFlame in the Mist by Renée Ahdieh
YA Novels of 2017
1,084 books — 8,395 voters

More lists with this book...

·  31,005 ratings  ·  7,306 reviews

Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
THIS WAS SUPER ADORABLE
I wasn't sure about it for some reason but I was pleasantly surprised! I didn't know before going into it but it's a very by the book Cinderella retelling and it worked so well in a modern setting. Just a quick, easy, feel good read.
*video review to come*
Maria
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
5/5 Stars ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

“Never give up on your dreams, and never let anyone tell you that what you love is inconsequential or useless or a waste of time. Because if you love it? If that OTP or children's card game or abridged series or YA book or animated series makes you happy?
That is never a waste of time. Because in the end we're all just a bunch of weirdos standing in front of other weirdos, asking for their username.”

― Ashley Poston, Geekerella

GUYS THIS BOOK THIS BOOK! I'M CRYING RIGHT NOW OF
C.G. Drews
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Oh this was super cute! And an excellent reason for me to stop judging covers because this waaaaay exceeded my expectations from that cover. Live and learn, Cait. LIVE AND LEARN. It was so absolutely heartfelt, that I just...I can't even?? It reminded me of Fangirl all squished with Kindred Spirits and Queens of Geek and I loved it. NERDOM APPRECIATION FOR THE WIN.

Now I assume the fandom they were cult following was like a Star Wars spin off? Maybe?? I wouldn't have a clue, not knowing anything
Wendy Darling
So. Much. Fun.

This super cute Cinderella-goes-to-Geeky-Con story is probably closer to a 3.5 in terms of merit because I think it could have been even better (view spoiler), but it is such a cute and enjoyable read, it gets roun
☆High Lady of The Night Court☆
“We’re all geeks here”

A love story most unlikely, a friendship most unexpected and a story inevitably beautiful. The horrors of being tied to a stepmom who hates you. The shackles that come along with fame. The tug of the familiar, the nervousness of taking risks. I can't help but fall in love with dreams.

In this book we follow two characters, Danielle Wittimer who is the biggest fan of the Starfield series and grew up with it, and Darien a teen actor who just scored the lead role in the remak
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
UPDATE: $1.99 Kindle US 4/4/19

How sweet was this =) ♥

When I first started reading the book I wasn't so sure and then it started to get to me.

It was a sweet little book about a fandom, some sweet friends, and a retelling of sorts.

Elle lives with her jerk of a stepmother and her two daughters. Elle and her father (when he was alive) were big fans of the show, Starfield. They were geek fans together. I love that. But living with the horrible stepmother is not the greatest thing now that Elle's fa
Melanie
ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was so surprisingly delightful, and made me so unexpectedly emotional. Everyone knows the story of Cinderella, but this modern day retelling feels and was actually able to evoke quite the feelings from me. This is a heartwarming story and if you consider yourself nerdy whatsoever, don't let this book pass you by.

I obviously feel confident saying I'm a pretty geeky individual:
Video Games? I've been raiding for o
Maureen
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
THIS BOOK WAS EVERYTHING.

Well I wasn't expecting to finish this book four hours after I started it but here we are. I loved EVERYTHING about this book. The nerdiness. The cons. The CHARACTERS. Basically it took my favorite things from other Cinderella retellings and wrapped them into one, PLUS EVEN MORE.
I love that it's told from dual perspective and tackles (even in passing) issues like "fake geek girls" and people not understanding how much you love something that's nerdy and your favorite thi
Natasha Polis
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
A love letter to fandom! Super cute, super corny, but all around a story for young readers to love.

Some of the dialogue was super cringe, and I'm not always a fan of "movie star" characters. But it's fiction so you just have to go with it. I'm here for the 15 year old fangirl who would have died to read this book!
may ❀
Buddy read with Skam trash

You would THINK that a book with an adorably epic cover, relatable geek plot, and is a retelling of a v famous story would STEAL my heart and win me over instantly. . .

. . . but you didn’t consider this book.

description
Things this Book Got Right:
- Girl friendship
- The beauty of geeking over something and blogging about it
- The calamity that is chores
- Diets
- Siblings who touch your stuff
- Geek cons

Things this book got WRONG
- Darien’s insured abs
- Yes, you read that co
Samhita  {Multi Dreamer}⚔
Rating: 5⭐
Reread update: I love this book sooo much! I thought I'd get bored during the reread but it wasn't like that at all. Read this if you haven't already.. Its bound to make you happy.

This book just made my favorites list. I usually don't read books from the contemporary genre but after reading this one I started experimenting with the genre more and realised, surprisingly, that I actually really enjoy it. If you have any problems with starting this genre like I did then definitely read th
Mischenko
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is such a cute and clever story!

Ever since Elle was little, she’s loved a Sci-Fi TV series called Starfield. Her parents also loved the show and her dad actually started a convention called ExcelsiCon for the fans. Now, there’s a Starfield reboot with new actors and a chance to enter a cosplay contest. Winners of the contest will get a chance to attend the ExcelsiCon Ball and meet the new actor playing the part of Prince Carmindor. Elle knows she must enter the contest because she’s an ulti
Lola
Apr 10, 2017 rated it liked it
GEEKERELLA is a charming book very reminiscent of CINDER & ELLA. The similarities are evident, so if you’ve read that book, this one may not impress you, but still, it is a pleasant read.

It’s simply not my kind of read. Well I did enjoy it, because it’s close to impossible for me to dislike a fairytale retelling, though it’s definitely not the type of book I will want to reread in the future.

Because I just can’t believe in falling in love through the phone. There are certainly a lot of thin
Claudia Ramírez
Jun 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
3.5 stars.

AWWW this was cute (it was SO CHEESY, tho). And I didn't believe the "falling in love" part, but I'll explain that in my wrap up :).
maram ☂︎
I had high expectations for this and even though it hasn't been met, I still thoroughly enjoyed it :')

Berit☀️✨
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 Geeky Starfield Stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

This book was just SO adorable!

I am not a super fan of anything or part of any type of fandom.... especially not anything involving the word star.... but that did not matter at all this book was a lot of fun.... a very well done retelling of Cinderella with a modern twist...right down to the pumpkin food truck....

Elle was such a fabulously likable character.... even though she and my teenage self had very little in common I still found her so Real and relatable.... D
Bonnie Shores
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: geek-love
I LOVED this book soooooooooooo much!!!😍 I mean, I totally identified with Elle and her devotion to Starfield, the short-lived TV series that spawned a generation of superfans (which is exactly what happened with Star Trek, my first—and still—love).

I jumped at the opportunity to visit a Star Trek Enterprise replica set and totally geeked out with other fans. (above) I even attended the San Diego ComicCon a couple of years ago and snapped a quick pic with a Captain Kirk wannabe. I, however, re
Aj the Ravenous Reader

A fun Cinderella retelling. It’s geeky and current. I liked the twists and how the familiar elements were wittingly spun into a contemporary Cinderella story. The sci-fi bits and the cos-play were a lot of fun although at some point, the plot kind of dragged a bit for me but it was still a generally enjoyable read.
Heather
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.50/5 stars!
What an adorable book this was!!! Loved the nod to Cinderella & how the author Incorporated fangirls and fandoms in it! Loved it!
Kathryn
Sep 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, ya-realistic-fic
A book steeped in fandom and set in Charleston, SC? Yes, please! Seriously, Ashley Poston’s Geekerella has ME written all over it. You’ve got my parents’ hometown (Charleston) combined with a fairy tale retelling (one of my fave subgenres) infused with a fandom-centric plot. Be still my nerdy soul!

As fandom becomes increasingly mainstream more books are being published featuring this unique culture. And what’s better, they’re representing it WELL. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell and Eliza and her Mon
Em Lost In Books
Another cute retelling. This time it is Cindrella in the modern world of fandoms and teen heartthrobes.
Dana Kenedy (Dana and the Books)
Geekerella was adorable! I'm always okay with cosplaying sci-fi nerds
Emer
My feelings while reading this book can best be explained by what this guy just went through:

OUCH!!!!

Oh gosh this was painful! To start with the writing felt very stilted to me. There was no easy flow. It read quite awkwardly I thought. The main characters in the book all had a sort of pantomime-esque vibe going on that also really didn't work for me. This was supposed to be a contemporary right?? Therefore, you'd think that some realism was required!!! And overall it was just an incredibly unim
Anja H.
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
*4 FANGIRLING STARS*

"Look to the stars. Aim. Ignite."

Oh my fangirl heart, this was so adorable!
After Ready Player One, I've finally found another book that made my nerdy self rejoice!
This actually reminded me of Cinder & Ella from Kelly Oram, another book that I really liked last year, even though this one was way more geeky and because of that I actually enjoyed this one a lot more.
Because this is a Cinderella retelling, we all knew beforehand how it was going to end, but nonetheless I w
Emma
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I expected this book to be relatable, but not on such a deep level. I actually cried in one scene which yes, I know I cry a lot in books, but hardly EVER in contemporaries. Plus, the entire thing is a shoutout to nerd culture and fandoms. If you need something that will make you smile, this ones for you.
ambsreads
May 07, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

Okay, so, this wasn't the best book I've read. It was cheesy, it was cringe worthy but it was cute. I was happy for the main characters and despite the cliche story I did find myself grinning from ear to ear in some parts.

Full review? More like bullet point thoughts;

- basically A Cinderella Story
- the one with Hillary Duff
- that's the name right????
- but almost EXACT
- weird pumpkin food truck = the diner
- shitty step sisters and shitty step mum
- popular boy is secretly nerdy?
- G
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was cute as shit, omg. I never had any intention of reading this bc I thought it was just gonna be another cheesy book set at a Comic Con-esque convention but this was SO MUCH MORE THAN THAT and I am sooooo glad that I read it (shout out to Jaclyn for recommending this to get me out of my slump)! There were some moments when it was more than a little cringey, but for the most part I adored everything about this. ESPECIALLY the fact that there was a sneaky little surprise F/F romance in here ...more
Hamad
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Actual rating: 3.75 stars

“My dad said that the impossible is only impossible if you don’t even try. So I want to try.”
RTC...

Cinderella was one of the first stories I have ever read, it will always have a special place in my heart. Let's put that aside and go into my analytical thinking:

💊 This was cute, I didn't have high expectations but it was cute and I like how the re-telling elements were folded up.

💊 The writing style was mediocre to be honest and the Batman thing was a bit ... annoying?

💊 M
alexandra ling
GEEKERELLA was a combination of all my favorite things: anonymous messages, fairy-tale retellings, and fandoms. it was so fun to read and i loved everything. :''')
Lara (Bookish_turtle)
This was the best contemporary, cutest romance, and most adorable thing I read in 2017. It was absolutely perfect! The geekiness and cuteness and just everything! IT WAS INCREDIBLE!

The fangirling was so relatable. Elle was so relatable. It was brilliant!

And the fandom references! They were everywhere and they were perfect! Doctor Who and Star Wars were my faves, but all of them were brilliant. Maybe I'll reread this later after joining more fandoms and pick up on even more of them. I honestly am
YA Buddy Readers'...: Geekerella (Once Upon a Con #1) by Ashley Poston - Restarting June 11th 2019 87 214 Jun 23, 2019 07:15AM
Outlook VCF Export Import 2 2 May 30, 2019 03:10AM
Vcard to Outlook Exporter 2 2 May 28, 2019 10:18PM
75 Books...More o...: Geekerella by Ashley Poston 18 6 Feb 16, 2019 07:13PM
The Theme Thieves: This topic has been closed to new comments. Geekerella: Discussion Post 12 33 Jan 19, 2019 05:49AM
Play Book Tag: Geekerella, by Ashley Poston- 3 Stars 3 18 Dec 20, 2018 04:48PM

• Speak Easy, Speak Love
  • Chaotic Good
  • Foolish Hearts
  • Prince in Disguise
  • Starry Eyes
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Only Thing Worse Than Me Is You
  • The Enchanted Sonata
  • Queens of Geek
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
  • Now a Major Motion Picture
  • I Believe in a Thing Called Love
  • Zodiac Starforce Volume 2: Cries of the Fire Prince
  • The Geek's Guide to Unrequited Love
  • Shuffle, Repeat
  • Public Relations
  • Under the Lights (Daylight Falls, #2)
  • The Epic Crush of Genie Lo (The Epic Crush of Genie Lo #1)
Ashley Poston’s is a part-time author and full-time fangirl. She was born in rural South Carolina, where you can see the stars impossibly well...

Tweet her at @ashposton and read her inner-most rambles at www.ashposton.com.

Once Upon a Con (3 books)
  • The Princess and the Fangirl (Once Upon a Con, #2)
  • Untitled (Once Upon a Con, #3)
“Look to the stars. Aim. Ignite.” 198 likes