Start by marking “Geekerella (Once Upon a Con, #1)” as Want to Read:
Geekerella (Once Upon a Con, #1)

Geekerella

(Once Upon a Con #1)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  47,279 ratings  ·  9,472 reviews
Cinderella goes to the con in this fandom-fueled twist on the classic fairy tale.

Part romance, part love letter to nerd culture, and all totally adorbs, Geekerella is a fairy tale for anyone who believes in the magic of fandom. Geek girl Elle Wittimer lives and breathes Starfield, the classic sci-fi series she grew up watching with her late father. So when she sees a cospl
Published April 4th 2017 by Quirk Books

To ask other readers questions about Geekerella, please sign up.
Shannon I would highly recommend "Fangirl" by Rainbow Rowell, if you haven't already read it! :)…moreI would highly recommend "Fangirl" by Rainbow Rowell, if you haven't already read it! :)(less)
Jamie It does seem a bit Wattpad at first glance, but it reads less like a fanfiction and more like a hilarious, relatable love letter to all the nerds out …moreIt does seem a bit Wattpad at first glance, but it reads less like a fanfiction and more like a hilarious, relatable love letter to all the nerds out there.(less)
Lord of Shadows by Cassandra ClareKing's Cage by Victoria AveyardCaraval by Stephanie GarberCarve the Mark by Veronica RothFlame in the Mist by Renée Ahdieh
YA Novels of 2017
1,104 books — 8,460 voters
Always and Forever, Lara Jean by Jenny HanThe Hate U Give by Angie ThomasThe Upside of Unrequited by Becky AlbertalliBy Your Side by Kasie WestOne of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus
2017 YA contemporary
205 books — 594 voters

More lists with this book...

·  47,279 ratings  ·  9,472 reviews

Start your review of Geekerella (Once Upon a Con, #1)
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
THIS WAS SUPER ADORABLE
I wasn't sure about it for some reason but I was pleasantly surprised! I didn't know before going into it but it's a very by the book Cinderella retelling and it worked so well in a modern setting. Just a quick, easy, feel good read.
*video review to come*
Maria
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
5/5 Stars ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

“Never give up on your dreams, and never let anyone tell you that what you love is inconsequential or useless or a waste of time. Because if you love it? If that OTP or children's card game or abridged series or YA book or animated series makes you happy?
That is never a waste of time. Because in the end we're all just a bunch of weirdos standing in front of other weirdos, asking for their username.”

― Ashley Poston, Geekerella

GUYS THIS BOOK THIS BOOK! I'M CRYING RIGHT N
C.G. Drews
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Oh this was super cute! And an excellent reason for me to stop judging covers because this waaaaay exceeded my expectations from that cover. Live and learn, Cait. LIVE AND LEARN. It was so absolutely heartfelt, that I just...I can't even?? It reminded me of Fangirl all squished with Kindred Spirits and Queens of Geek and I loved it. NERDOM APPRECIATION FOR THE WIN.

Now I assume the fandom they were cult following was like a Star Wars spin off? Maybe?? I wouldn't have a clue, not knowing anything
Wendy Darling
So. Much. Fun.

This super cute Cinderella-goes-to-Geeky-Con story is probably closer to a 3.5 in terms of merit because I think it could have been even better (view spoiler), but it is such a cute and enjoyable read, it gets roun
High Lady of The Night Court
“We’re all geeks here”

A love story most unlikely, a friendship most unexpected and a story inevitably beautiful. The horrors of being tied to a stepmom who hates you. The shackles that come along with fame. The tug of the familiar, the nervousness of taking risks. I can't help but fall in love with dreams.

In this book we follow two characters, Danielle Wittimer who is the biggest fan of the Starfield series and grew up with it, and Darien a teen actor who just scored the lead role in the rem
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
UPDATE: $1.99 Kindle US 4/4/19

How sweet was this =) ♥

When I first started reading the book I wasn't so sure and then it started to get to me.

It was a sweet little book about a fandom, some sweet friends, and a retelling of sorts.

Elle lives with her jerk of a stepmother and her two daughters. Elle and her father (when he was alive) were big fans of the show, Starfield. They were geek fans together. I love that. But living with the horrible stepmother is not the greatest thing now that Elle's fa
Melanie
ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was so surprisingly delightful, and made me so unexpectedly emotional. Everyone knows the story of Cinderella, but this modern day retelling feels and was actually able to evoke quite the feelings from me. This is a heartwarming story and if you consider yourself nerdy whatsoever, don't let this book pass you by.

I obviously feel confident saying I'm a pretty geeky individual:
Video Games? I've been raiding for o
may ❀
Buddy read with Skam trash

You would THINK that a book with an adorably epic cover, relatable geek plot, and is a retelling of a v famous story would STEAL my heart and win me over instantly. . .

. . . but you didn’t consider this book.

Things this Book Got Right:
- Girl friendship
- The beauty of geeking over something and blogging about it
- The calamity that is chores
- Diets
- Siblings who touch your stuff
- Geek cons

Things this book got WRONG
- Darien’s insured abs
- Yes, you read tha
 Teodora
3/5 ⭐

What's not to love about pumpkins?? Just saying:
- Pumpkin carving
- Pumpkin pie
- Pumpkin spice latte
- Pumpkin soup
- (Geeky) pumpkin book
description

This was a cute retelling of Cinderella, definitely, but it was juuuuust a tad boring, it kind of lost me on the way.

(Book-styled)
Maureen
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
THIS BOOK WAS EVERYTHING.

Well I wasn't expecting to finish this book four hours after I started it but here we are. I loved EVERYTHING about this book. The nerdiness. The cons. The CHARACTERS. Basically it took my favorite things from other Cinderella retellings and wrapped them into one, PLUS EVEN MORE.
I love that it's told from dual perspective and tackles (even in passing) issues like "fake geek girls" and people not understanding how much you love something that's nerdy and your favorite thi
Natasha Polis
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
A love letter to fandom! Super cute, super corny, but all around a story for young readers to love.

Some of the dialogue was super cringe, and I'm not always a fan of "movie star" characters. But it's fiction so you just have to go with it. I'm here for the 15 year old fangirl who would have died to read this book!
sam
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing

i’m just going to pretend that i didn’t reread this book for the third time. Now i might be able to write an actual review for this one :)
Miranda Reads
May 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
description

The May Reading Vlog (aka tier listing 30+ books) is up! Now that you know where this one ranks, click the link to check out the rest!
The Written Review
description

Look to the stars. Aim. Ignite.
Elle Wittimer loves, loves, loves Starfield - it has all the best elements of all the best fandoms.

Her late mother and father both loved it, and her father was the man behind the convention for Starfield.

Currently, Elle lives with her Step-mom and twin step-siblings and to put it frank, they're making he
megs_bookrack
Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a geek and I loved this book.

What else can I say?

This was my last completed book of 2019.

A excellent way to end a great reading year!

During the course of my 2019 Christmas holiday travels, I found myself alone in the car, A LOT. I wanted a little romance to keep me alert whilst driving. Not for me, of course, but on audio.

I had been putting this off forever, for unknown and totally irrelevant reasons, and on a whim decided to download it.

The stars blessed me that day, as I found so much mo
Mischenko
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: retelling
This is such a cute and clever story!

Ever since Elle was little, she’s loved a Sci-Fi TV series called Starfield. Her parents also loved the show and her dad actually started a convention called ExcelsiCon for the fans. Now, there’s a Starfield reboot with new actors and a chance to enter a cosplay contest. Winners of the contest will get a chance to attend the ExcelsiCon Ball and meet the new actor playing the part of Prince Carmindor. Elle knows she must enter the contest because she’s an ulti
Claudia Ramírez
Jun 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
3.5 stars.

AWWW this was cute (it was SO CHEESY, tho). And I didn't believe the "falling in love" part, but I'll explain that in my wrap up :).
theburqaavenger➹
gahhhhhh this book was so ... so... so... ummm what is the word?? CUTE (eww i hate that word). gah forget it this book made me smile. ME. SMILING. FROM. THE. MARSHMALLOW. FLUFF. I. AM. IN. LOVE. GAHHHHHHHHH. What is happening to me?
I absolutely adored this. Yes it was quite boring in the beginning but aaaahhhh it picks up and those little details connected to the original Cinderella story i was screaming throughout the book and telling my sister about the "Geek" twists.

🌟 So what's this about?
mxa ☂︎
I had high expectations for this and even though it hasn't been met, I still thoroughly enjoyed it :')

Ashley Nuckles
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I would read this book again and again and again and again! It was the absolute cutest thing and I’m obsessed😭
Emer (A Little Haze)
My feelings while reading this book can best be explained by what this guy just went through:

OUCH!!!!

Oh gosh this was painful! To start with the writing felt very stilted to me. There was no easy flow. It read quite awkwardly I thought. The main characters in the book all had a sort of pantomime-esque vibe going on that also really didn't work for me. This was supposed to be a contemporary right?? Therefore, you'd think that some realism was required!!! And overall it was just an incredibly unim
Berit☀️✨
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 Geeky Starfield Stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

This book was just SO adorable!

I am not a super fan of anything or part of any type of fandom.... especially not anything involving the word star.... but that did not matter at all this book was a lot of fun.... a very well done retelling of Cinderella with a modern twist...right down to the pumpkin food truck....

Elle was such a fabulously likable character.... even though she and my teenage self had very little in common I still found her so Real and relatable.... D
Bonnie Shores
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: geek-love
I LOVED this book soooooooooooo much!!!😍 I mean, I totally identified with Elle and her devotion to Starfield, the short-lived TV series that spawned a generation of superfans (which is exactly what happened with Star Trek, my first—and still—love).

I jumped at the opportunity to visit a Star Trek Enterprise replica set and totally geeked out with other fans. (above) I even attended the San Diego ComicCon a couple of years ago and snapped a quick pic with a Captain Kirk wannabe. I, howeve
Aj the Ravenous Reader

A fun Cinderella retelling. It’s geeky and current. I liked the twists and how the familiar elements were wittingly spun into a contemporary Cinderella story. The sci-fi bits and the cos-play were a lot of fun although at some point, the plot kind of dragged a bit for me but it was still a generally enjoyable read.
Isa Cantos (Crónicas de una Merodeadora)
"We might not know much about each other, and I might not be there, and you might not be here, but I'm glad to share this sky with you. Maybe we should start looking up together, ah'blena".

Ay, dioses, Geekerella es todo lo que está bien en el mundo. Es de esos libros que quiero abrazar, que me dejan suspirando, creyendo en el amor y soñando que algún día conoceré a alguien tan geek como yo y nuestra manera de decirnos "te quiero" será "After all this time? Always".

En este retelling de Cenicient
Heather
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.50/5 stars!
What an adorable book this was!!! Loved the nod to Cinderella & how the author Incorporated fangirls and fandoms in it! Loved it!
Kathryn
Sep 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, ya-realistic-fic
A book steeped in fandom and set in Charleston, SC? Yes, please! Seriously, Ashley Poston’s Geekerella has ME written all over it. You’ve got my parents’ hometown (Charleston) combined with a fairy tale retelling (one of my fave subgenres) infused with a fandom-centric plot. Be still my nerdy soul!

As fandom becomes increasingly mainstream more books are being published featuring this unique culture. And what’s better, they’re representing it WELL. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell and Eliza and her Mon
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was cute as shit, omg. I never had any intention of reading this bc I thought it was just gonna be another cheesy book set at a Comic Con-esque convention but this was SO MUCH MORE THAN THAT and I am sooooo glad that I read it (shout out to Jaclyn for recommending this to get me out of my slump)! There were some moments when it was more than a little cringey, but for the most part I adored everything about this. ESPECIALLY the fact that there was a sneaky little surprise F/F romance in here ...more
Dana Kenedy (Dana and the Books)
Geekerella was adorable! I'm always okay with cosplaying sci-fi nerds ...more
Zaksiazkowane
Prościutka ale bardzo przyjemna! Miłe zaskoczenie, 3.5
Em Lost In Books
Another cute retelling. This time it is Cindrella in the modern world of fandoms and teen heartthrobes.

• Cud, miód, Malina. Kronika rodziny Koźlaków
  • Tweet Cute
  • The Upside of Falling
  • Eliza and Her Monsters
  • Instant Karma
  • Royals (Royals, #1)
  • Najgłośniej krzyczy serce
  • Pusta noc (Żniwiarz, #1)
  • Hurt/Comfort
  • Call Me Maybe
  • Najcenniejszy podarunek (Najcenniejszy podarunek, #1)
  • Maresi (The Red Abbey Chronicles, #1)
  • Yes No Maybe So
  • By the Book
  • Of Curses and Kisses (St. Rosetta's Academy, #1)
  • What I Like About You
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • How the King of Elfhame Learned to Hate Stories (The Folk of the Air, #3.5)
Ashley Poston’s is a part-time author and full-time fangirl. She was born in rural South Carolina, where you can see the stars impossibly well...

Tweet her at @ashposton and read her inner-most rambles at www.ashposton.com.

Once Upon a Con (3 books)
  • The Princess and the Fangirl (Once Upon a Con, #2)
  • Bookish and the Beast (Once Upon a Con, #3)

Articles featuring this book