Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > Do you like it when someone has the same name? (LG's first name isn't really Lobster)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 150 (150 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments Whenever I meet another Gretchen it goes like "OH! My name is Gretchen too!" "Wow! I don't meet too many of those!" Then I usually feel weird because I don't want them to have my name. They usually say something snotty or make a face like they don't want me to have their name either. I'm wondering if this is the same for others or if it's just the nature of having a unique name. It could also be that the only Gretchens I've met are sorta bitchy. (I am too.) There was a Miss USA who seemed pretty nice but that's the best I can do.

message 2: by RandomAnthony (last edited Mar 12, 2010 11:37AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments This is an excellent question. Do you think the name's commonality or lack thereof (did I use that right?) plays a role, like you said? For example, if your name is "Bob" you can't be mad at every other Bob in the world. But Gretchen, sure, I can see that.

message 3: by smetchie (last edited Mar 12, 2010 11:37AM) (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments My husband's name is Chris and he doesn't seem to get pissed off that he works with like 5 of them. His step-brother's name is Chris too. It cracks me up when is step-dad introduces people to his sons Chris and Chris.

message 4: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i know two different couples where both the husband and wife are named kelly. spelled exactly that way. one set are prominent biz owners. when you call you ask for "girl-kelly" or "boy-kelly" wonder how they feel about having not only a semi-common name but the same name as their spouse?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments My name is unusual enough that I don't mind sharing it with a select few.
My best friends in high school were Gretchen and Mindy. You'd think we sought out the other girls with unique names, but it was just coincidence. I think.

message 6: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments My best friend from highschool is named Georgette!

Jackie, is your friend Gretchen sorta bitchy at all?

message 7: by Jackie "the Librarian" (last edited Mar 12, 2010 12:21PM) (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Why, yes, she is, Gretchen. She's a great best friend, but I wouldn't want to work with her.
Why?

message 8: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Actually my brother Daryl and my other brother Daryl and I all have pretty unique names, for the most part.

message 9: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments Jackie "the Librarian" wrote: "Why, yes, she is, Gretchen. She's a great best friend, I wouldn't want to work with her.
Why?"

see my original post. I said all the other Gretchens I've met are sorta bitchy. (and I am, too)

message 10: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I knew a Gretchen in suburban Pittsburgh. We called her the midnight mower. She would mow her lawn until late at night, for some strange reason. I don't think she was bitchy, though.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments So, does being called Gretchen bring out bitchiness? Or is that a quality that parents see, and then decide that Gretchen is the perfect name for their new, somewhat annoyed looking offspring?

message 12: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (mandypants) Apparently the early 80s were all about the Amanda naming. I don't really have any instant dislike for others with my name. My best friend since junior high is also an Amanda E. and I've had other close friends who were also Amanda. It DOES gets annoying constantly hearing your name or having to be known by a description. (Big Amanda, Little Amanda)

message 13: by Misty (new)

Misty | 36 comments Haha at Larry's joke!

message 14: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17322 comments Mod
I've only met one or two other Sallys in my life. One is over fifty, and the other was in the class ahead of me in high school: Sally Nut.

I'm glad I don't meet many other people with my name.

And Gretchen, there was a a Gretchen at my high school too: Gretchen Beaver. I never realized how awful those names sound together until a new girl Katie moved to town and was incredulous that was really her name. But Gretchen Beaver wasn't very bitchy. A little snotty and kind of spacey, but not mean.

message 15: by Sally, la reina (new)

I've been looking at that site, and this one:
http://www.babynamewizard.com/voyager

In my quest to pick a name that is unique, not trendy, and somewhat classic.

I ♥ the internet.

message 16: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments 1973: year I was born!

@sally: I mean snotty, not mean.

message 17: by Sally, la reina (new)

Oh, ok. Well then she totally fits the bill.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Jacqueline's highest rank, 37th, was in 1961 and 1964. Thanks to Jackie Kennedy, I'm sure.
It's never been a trendy name, and I like it that way.

message 19: by Sally, la reina (last edited Mar 12, 2010 01:22PM) (new)

It reminds me of a Cake Franz Ferdinand song.

http://www.lala.com/#song/50468463783...

message 20: by Shana (new)

Shana (Shanac55) | 98 comments I have never met anyone else with the name Shana (pronounced Shawna)who spells it the same. I've known a Shauna and I now work with a Shayna. I also went to school with a Shanna. I think my parents chose the worst way to spell my name. People consistantly read my name and call me "Shanna" It's all very annoying.

message 21: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i don't think i have met more than two people with the same name as me, other than my grandmother who i was named after. i know there are more out there, just not very many and most of them probably live in one country. i did name a cat (male) and a cow after myself. of course my brother, sisters and parents would talk about the crazy things these animals did and i would be very confused because i never knew for sure if they were talking about me or the animal. i have had a few friends with the name petra. the first one turned me off all petra's, but that was made up by petra II who was a great friend and showed up just when i needed her. the petra's were all a bit messed up though, petra I was sexually abused by her father and petra II suffers from depressions/borderline.

message 22: by Shana (new)

Shana (Shanac55) | 98 comments Sally wrote: "It reminds me of a Cake Franz Ferdinand song.

http://www.lala.com/#song/50468463783..."

Sally,
You're a Lala gal! Me too. I used to love to listen at work, then the jerks downtown blocked it.

message 23: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11628 comments I don't run into too many other Phils. When I do, they're generally okay guys, not assholes, which has helped develop a solid reputation for the name.

What I didn't like was that on one episode of "House" there was a guy named Phil, whose LAST name was also the same as mine, and who, it turned out, was cheating on his wife. Jerk. I wasn't sad when that character died - he was tarnishing the rep!

message 24: by Cambridge (last edited Mar 12, 2010 10:05PM) (new)

Cambridge (hsquare) | 509 comments I knew you looked familiar Larry ;) . And Gretchen I know two Gretchens, very interesting, one was a very short blonde, a little bit cocky spit fire total hoot, but pretty and regarded by most girls to be a bitch (you know how girls are *shrug*) . I personally didn't think so, she was one of my best friends. Now the other one is so serene, subdued, quiet, sweet and gentle, actually annoyingly sweet and caring, you kind of want to shake a little personality into her. She is so nice you can't dislike her, but she is most definitely the COMPLETE opposite of the other Gretchen I know, but both are blondes :)

message 25: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24152 comments Mod
smetchie wrote: "Jackie "the Librarian" wrote: "Why, yes, she is, Gretchen. She's a great best friend, I wouldn't want to work with her.
Why?"

see my original post. I said all the other Gretchens I've met are sorta bitchy. (and I am, too)

A Gretchen lived in my dorm at college and she was a major bitch.

message 26: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

There aren't that many people around with my name. I think a lot of them are dead.

message 27: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

They are? NOOOOOOO !

message 28: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart My name is Brittany....very popular

message 29: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Britt-Britt wrote: "My name is Brittany....very popular"

It was most popular in the years 1989-91.

message 30: by Ken (last edited Nov 24, 2010 05:27PM) (new)

Ken (playjerist) | 721 comments The other Kens I meet tend to be either wieners or pricks, which I suppose are only modulations of the same meat product.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) My real name is Amy and I always had at least 1 to 2 other kids named Amy in my class at school, so I had the dreaded last initial tacked onto my name when a teacher would address me.

I won't even use it on Goodreads because there are always at least a couple of people with this name in each group.

message 32: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

message 33: by Ken (new)

Ken (playjerist) | 721 comments Gretchens are usually trouble, though that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

message 34: by Ken (new)

Ken (playjerist) | 721 comments Exactly, LG.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Awww poor Gretchen.

message 36: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

[image error]

message 37: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Gretchen Mol is very pretty.

message 38: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments To all your parents' credit, I don't personally know any Barbaras, Kens, Gretchens, Brittanys, Stacias or Kevins other than you people. I know a few Rachels meself, but I dinnae hang out with them too much because I find people start comparing us.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

no, i've never known anyone else w/my name. the only problems i've had are things being addressed to ''mr.'', and once i was turned away from a certain college because it was "only for women" (by mail, they didn't see me !!). i have often thought though, that it is better to have a name that can be softened by a "Y", or an "ie". ex: stacy, amy, sandy, slurpy, sloopy, etc.

message 40: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments Rachel, are you Scottish?!?

message 41: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments Rachel-y wouldn't work.. Nor would Gretchen-y. Hey! Sally!

message 42: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments LG, what's your name?

message 43: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments smetchie wrote: "Rachel, are you Scottish?!?"

No, I'm not, but I like switching dialects and accents sometimes even in speaking. More colourful!

message 44: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments Rachel wrote: "Rachel-y wouldn't work.. Nor would Gretchen-y. Hey! Sally!"

But Smetchie does!!

message 45: by Jonathan (last edited Nov 24, 2010 05:40PM) (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Lobster.

(ETA: In answer to "LG, what's your name?")

message 46: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments smetchie wrote: "Rachel wrote: "Rachel-y wouldn't work.. Nor would Gretchen-y. Hey! Sally!"

But Smetchie does!!"

Lucky!

message 47: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

smetchie wrote: "LG, what's your name?"

I cannae reveal.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) So is girl her last name?

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

girly

message 50: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

My name hit its peak popularity in the 30s.

« previous 1 3