Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Bulletin Board > List your country/state

Comments Showing 1-50 of 107 (107 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Vincent, Mod & Author (last edited Mar 09, 2010 09:19PM) (new)

Vincent Lowry (vlowry) | 1105 comments Mod
As our membership grows, I think it would be fun for readers and authors to find out the different states/countries our group covers.

I live in Los Angeles, California.

-Vince
Constellation Chronicles: The Lost Civilization of Aries

message 2: by J. (new)

J. Guevara (jguevara) | 63 comments 24n85w

I hope this method catches on. think of how much easier it would be to teach geography. Why, maybe kids will be able to find their own state. Works great for mine, they can even find Washingtonian DC, and they're not even Americans. they're 14n120e'iers. Give 'em your lat/lon and they may not know the name, but they can tell you where it is on the globe, what season it is, your language, major religion, race and what time it is. first one gets a peso. for another peso they can look up the currency exchange rate. And yes, we home school. kids call it home's cool

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 09, 2010 10:09PM) (new)

I'll throw my 2 bob's worth in the hat (-: ..........
city of Cairns in the tropical far north state of Queensland, Australia.

Normally when someone asks what state I'm in I usually respond with mostly drunk hehehehe!!

message 4: by J. (new)

J. Guevara (jguevara) | 63 comments those who only put in their 2-cents (bob's worth)shouldn't expect much change. However, I'll add that it's too bad kids can't use that response on a geography exam. heheheh!!

message 5: by Steven (new)

Steven (tbones) | 408 comments I'm in Washington State, USA and we like to get drunk here too :o)

message 6: by Mandy (new)

Mandy I'm from Perth, Western Australia. Our state is called the Wait Awhile (WA) state in Australia, we're always behind the other states. However, that is not always a bad thing.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Awww!!..c'mon Mandy you mob are only about 4 hrs behind in sand groper country (-:

message 8: by Cleveland (new)

Cleveland | 60 comments I live in Faringdon, in the Cotswwolds part of the country.
The beautiful area is steeped in magic, mystery and intrigue as shown in The Devil Drum.

message 9: by A. Colin (new)

A. Colin Wright (acolinwright) | 23 comments Now in Kingston, Ontario, Canada, but originally from Chelmsford, Essex, England.

message 10: by Chrizette (new)

Chrizette I call Cape Town in South Africa home.

message 11: by Paul (new)

Paul | 27 comments Malvern, Worcestershire, United Kingdom. But I was born in Mid Wales.

message 12: by Pat (new)

Pat Whitaker (whitakerbooks) | 19 comments Born in Whitney, England (between Oxford and Cheltenham) but a long time ago. I live in New Zealand - way down the bottom of the Pacific - in Otaki, a small, west coast town about an hours drive north of the capital, Wellington. And talking time zones - the day starts with us!

message 13: by Laura (new)

Laura Rittenhouse | 53 comments Sydney Australia is home. But I haven't been living there since 2007. I'm on my way home - the long way around - and should be there by September. Currently in Hawaii (tomorrow, San Francisco).

I guess this topic has been opened while a lot in the US have been asleep, but I do find it interesting how many aren't Yanks in this group. Reading and Writing is truly an international thing.

message 14: by Steven (new)

Steven (tbones) | 408 comments wow what a wide range of locations. Lots of cool info to learn about from everyone here.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I reside in Ball, Louisiana, born in Houma, Louisiana.

message 16: by Susan (new)

Susan Gottfried (westofmars) | 68 comments I'm West of Mars, which is a purposely vague area outside of Pittsburgh, PA. Yep, home of the Steelers and Penguins, for you sports fans. The rest of you may know our now mostly-defunct steel town history, but did you know about our rivers, too?

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

G'day Susan, the answer is nope!, nope! & nope! but please enlighten me (-:

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Marc wrote: "Hello to you everyone from Phoenix, Arizona. It is in the southwestern part of the United States. Phoenix is in the desert, but there are mountains over 12,000 feet just a two hour drive north in..."

Eh!..everyone eer's me mate Marc, bloody fine poet to boot (-:

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

West Lothian, Scotland (smack bang between Glasgow and Edinburgh - central belt)

message 20: by Gary (new)

Gary Ballard (gary_ballard) | 54 comments Born and raised in Mississippi, I still live there - currently in a suburb of the capital Jackson, MS.

Gary Ballard
Under the Amoral Bridge: A Cyberpunk Novel

message 21: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Lender (fantasyauthorsandylender) | 4 comments Hey, there, Paul!
My maternal family comes from Wales. All that Welsh ancestry has left me pasty white and ripe for sun burns...here in sunny Naples, Florida.

From Sandy Lender
"Some days, you just want the dragon to win."

message 22: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Pilgrim (oldgeezer) | 140 comments Hi,
I'm the Paul, among all the other Paul's. I come from near King'Lynn, Norfolk U.K . Just off the edge of the 'Fens', just in the edge of 'Breckland' an area of woods and heathland. Cold in winter, pretty warm in summer, buy U.K. standards.
Been to thirty odd countries, New Zealand is the only one which could tempt me back, maybe Canada.
All the best Paul Rix [oldgeezer

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Howdy y'all! From Nashville, TN! Music City, USA.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

G'day Shawn, haven't bumped into fellow Aussie's Keith & Nicole, have you? LOL.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Actually, they are frequently seen around Nashville. You can't swing a cat without bumping into some celebrity. They don't try to hide,like in Los Angeles, they mingle. In fact, my daughter saw Sean Connery at a local Starbucks.

Looking over the location of everyone posting, I'm amazing by how many I can relate to. I lived and worked in Los Angeles, my husband is from Phoenix, I've been to the Cotswald and other parts of England, along with Scotland and Wales, while my daughter spent a year in Auckland, New Zealand studying at Massey University. So, as Disney once said, "It's A Small World After All." lol

message 26: by Jaleta (new)

Jaleta Clegg | 41 comments I live in Utah, but I work in space. Well, not literally. My day job is at the Christa McAuliffe Space Education Center. http://www.spacecamputah.org

It's not uncommon to see Klingons or space pirates attacking our simulators. I love my job.

Jaleta Clegg
http://www.jaletac.com

message 27: by Robert (new)

Robert Page | 7 comments Born in the Forest Fields district of Nottingham UK. I still live in Nottingham. Not very adventurous.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow a diverse crowd here. I am from a small town in the middle of Nebraska called Louisville.

message 29: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne (jeanne_voelker) | 42 comments Hello from Washington, the 'Evergreen State'. It's true -- I see greenery around me all winter. I live near Seattle, in the same house since 1978. Love it!

message 30: by Guido (new)

Guido Henkel (guidohenkel) | 51 comments I'm hailing from Orange County, California - and no, it's nothing like the TV show here and our housewives are also not those trashy bimbos they show on TV either.

message 31: by A.O. (new)

A.O. Peart (aopeart) | 6 comments Hello,
I'm new to the group - just signed up. I grew up in Poland but made US my home about 18 years ago. Currently I live in Sammamish, Washington. My favorite book genre is YA Urban fantasy.
Stop by my blog and sign up to follow! :-)
Angela @ http://www.cheeriosandpearlsstories.b...

message 32: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie Well since my state isn't represented I'll chime in I live in the great state of North Dakota USA.

message 33: by Gloria (new)

Gloria (gloriaoliver) | 20 comments Saying "Howdy!" from The Colony, Texas USA.

message 34: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Sturak (jonathansturak) | 4 comments Las Vegas, NV

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

G'day Marc & all, I will also, I live in Cairns, Far North Queensland, Australia, we have the Barrier reef, beautiful green mountains & lush rainforest. Did you know that Texas fit 7.9 times into Queensland & we have a cattle station the size of Kentucky (-:

message 36: by Lisa M (new)

Lisa M | 76 comments Wow, there are people from all over the globe here! Here's my shout out from Westminster, Colorado (USA). Hello to all!

message 37: by Jen (new)

Jen Knox | 11 comments Hi all, I'm from Ohio, but live in San Antonio, Texas. Way to upstage us Texans, David :)

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 37 comments Lisa MH wrote: "Wow, there are people from all over the globe here! Here's my shout out from Westminster, Colorado (USA). Hello to all!"

:-)I'm in Boulder County, Colorful Colorado, USA!

message 39: by AH (new)

AH Hi Everyone.....

I'm from a suburb of Montreal, Quebec Canada.

message 40: by Amber (new)

Amber Lehman (amber_lehman73) | 28 comments Hi Everyone!

I'm from Newport Beach, California- a very tame and quiet part of the USA!

Amber :)

message 41: by Alan (new)

Alan (coachmt) | 46 comments Currently in Billings, Montana, but went to school in Boulder, Colorado... and grew up in Durango, Colorado... so, so long ago ; )

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 37 comments Alan wrote: "Currently in Billings, Montana, but went to school in Boulder, Colorado... and grew up in Durango, Colorado... so, so long ago ; )"

I also lived in Montana for a short time :-) I was only in Billings for 3 Months - I prefer Western Montana (Missoula, Kalispell etc)

message 43: by Alan (new)

Alan (coachmt) | 46 comments Too much snow over there ; ) Billings is the sun belt of Montana : D

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Jen, but remember we don't have the same population or as many states. (-:

message 45: by Breanna (new)

Breanna | 6 comments I'm from a tiny town in the foothills of the Rockies. Berthoud, Colorado. I've lived in Colorado all my life and I hope to keep it that way :)

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 37 comments Breanna wrote: "I'm from a tiny town in the foothills of the Rockies. Berthoud, Colorado. I've lived in Colorado all my life and I hope to keep it that way :)"

Hmmm. I've heard of that place :-) Once you've found yourself in Colorful Colorado, why would anyone want to leave?

message 47: by Breanna (new)

Breanna | 6 comments Dustin wrote: "Breanna wrote: "I'm from a tiny town in the foothills of the Rockies. Berthoud, Colorado. I've lived in Colorado all my life and I hope to keep it that way :)"

Hmmm. I've heard of that place :-) O..."

It's true. :) I love Colorado. Who in their right mind would ever leave it. Who knows, maybe some day I'll have to for some unknown reason, but I hope that day never comes. Plus... I think Berthoud needs a writer :D

message 48: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (fiona64) Currently live in the Silicon Valley region of California (USA).

Home town is Portland, Oregon ... and I don't miss it at all.

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 37 comments Breanna wrote: "I think Berthoud needs a writer :D "
Have you had anything published yet?

message 50: by Breanna (new)

Breanna | 6 comments Dustin wrote:"
Have you had anything published yet?"

No, not yet... unless you count all the short fiction pieces I got published in the local paper when I was in Middle School and High School (there used to be a contest in the paper for creative stuff called "Thought and Voice"). I was planning on sending my book to an agent before graduating college (which is next week) but school got so busy that I never found time to make it past six chapters :( So... hopefully soon I will get it published. I have a Children's book done too but I have yet to sit down and actually illustrate it ha ha :)

« previous 1 3