Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Totally Off Topic > Looking for a series to get a friend started...

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (mrs_hf) | 173 comments So, my best friend is really into murder mystery books. LOVES the drama and the "who dunnit" types. I'm trying to break her into the PNR world because she recently read all of the Twilight books and is currently making her way through The Host. She is all kinds of excited so I need another series to REALLY break her into the world and sort of bring her passed the YA PNR. Any advice? I'm talking "Murder Mystery/Drama Style PNR". I know a lot of the series have a big baddie that they fight throughout the whole series but what do you guys think about would be the best to break someone in with?

Thanks!!

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore What about the Haper Connelly series by Charlaine Harris?

message 3: by Shelleyrae (new)

Shelleyrae at Book'd Out | 145 comments JD Robb's In Death series would be a great start - more murder mystery with a tweak of paranormal/future

and Raechel Caines Weather Warden series is right up there as my favourite series.

I'd agree the Harper Connelly series would be great too

Iv'e just started a series by Tanya Huff that begins with Blood Price that I'd recommend as well.

Several of the Nora Roberts trilogys also fit the idea such as the Three Sisters Island, Sign of Seven,

There is also the Psychic Eye Mysteries by Victoria Lauurie
Bewitching Mystery series by Madelyn Alt

and there are the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher

Innocent in Death (In Death, #24) by J.D. Robb Ill Wind (Weather Warden, #1) by Rachel Caine Grave Sight (Harper Connelly Mystery, #1) by Charlaine Harris Blood Price (Victoria Nelson, #1) by Tanya Huff Three Sisters Island collection (Three Sisters Island trilogy #1-3) by Nora Roberts Abby Cooper, Psychic Eye (Psychic Eye Mystery, #1) by Victoria Laurie The Trouble With Magic (A Bewitching Mystery, #1) by Madelyn Alt Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1) by Jim Butcher

message 4: by new_user (last edited Mar 10, 2010 06:32PM) (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Does she like them darker or more cozy? She can try the Kay Hooper series.

Stealing Shadows (Shadows trilogy #1 - BCU #1) by Kay Hooper

message 5: by Kirttimukha (new)

Kirttimukha TheCat | 93 comments Is JD Robb related at all to Candace Robb (amazon says JD is a pseudonym)? Candice Robb's Owen Archer mysteries are fantastic. Well researched and clever.

How about the Sookie Stackhouse True Blood books. Those are entertaining and interesting. They have an element of mystery that I enjoy and I'm a mystery fan myself.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 737 comments JD Robb is a pseudonym for Nora Roberts. =)

message 7: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 216 comments Some good mystery/urban fantasies I'd suggest are:
Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden series
Seanan McGuire's October Daye series
Carole Nelson Douglas's Delilah Street, Paranormal Investigator series
Justin Gustainis's Quincy Morris Supernatural Investigation series
Faith Hunter's Jane Yellowrock series

message 8: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 320 comments To me it sounds like your friend wants more urban fantasy. I second the sookie stackhouse series and harry dresden as well as kitty norville and this weekend I was browsing the bookstore and found a series called Blood lines it looks like it maybe a keeper.

message 9: by Jo (new)

Jo  Singh | 95 comments I would recommend the Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead, even though it is YA its real good.

Then for a more Adult series The Blackdagger Brotherhood series by JR Ward is Awesome.

I thoroughly enjoyed both series.