Start by marking “Innocent in Death (In Death, #24)” as Want to Read:
Innocent in Death (In Death, #24)

Innocent in Death

(In Death #24)

The death of history teacher Craig Foster devastated his young wife, who’d sent him off to work that morning with a lovingly packed lunch. It shocked his colleagues at the Upper West Side private school. And as for the ten-year-old girls who found him in his classroom in a pool of bodily fluids, they may have been traumatized for life.

Lieutenant Eve Dallas, of course, is m
Published February 20th 2007 by G.P. Putnam's Sons (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Innocent in Death, please sign up.
Winona It's quite mellow for the love scene, still ignite passion but not too much waves

Phrynne
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5000-books
This is one of Robb's best books in the whole series. It really consists of two story lines, the drama of Roarke versus Eve when a woman from his past reappears on the scene, against a rather unusual set of murders and a very unlikely murderer.

When Eve and Roarke fall out they do it big time and the sadness is overwhelming. Now that we are in book 24 we know and love them so well that their pain is ours! I liked the way that just as things became too uncomfortable in their relationship world Rob
Aisling Zena
4 stars

Is it bad that I read this series as a "palate cleanser" of sorts? I know that whether I read an amazing book that I wish I could live in a little longer or a crappy one that I wish I never touched, Roarke and Eve are guaranteed to fix my mood either way so I can read the next book on my list without residual or lingering emotions. I know I can go back to them whenever I want and I have 20+ books to catch up.

As for this book, I don't know what it says about me that I figured out the kille
Mo
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it. An old flame of Roarke's turns up and she is out to cause trouble. Eve is not happy. She is feeling insecure. Magdalena is everything that she is not ... ooooh, the angst. Roarke was clueless. Well, he is a man, right? He thought nothing of meeting with "Maggie" for lunch or the odd meeting. Her presence in NYC means that Eve is finding it hard to concentrate on the case in hand.

We had the secondary cast of characters but they did not seem to be to the fore much really.
Mavis gives he
Shawna
5+ stars - Romantic Suspense/Futuristic/Mystery/Crime/Romantic Thriller

Wow! This is definitely one of my favorites of the series!

An old flame of Roarke’s shows up and causes trouble for him and Eve, and I really felt for Eve in this one. Roarke pretty much bungled things in the beginning in how he dealt, or rather didn’t deal, with Magdalena.

Jilly
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Points for the best murderer in the series. Creepy and unexpected.

But, the main story in this is the woman who is trying to come between Roarke and Eve. And, she's succeeding. This book has an emotional pull if you have come to know and love this couple - which I have. I was pissed off at Roarke, so it was my first fight with a book boyfriend. I felt bad for Eve, but kept hoping she'd knock that bitch back. But, I also had no doubt that they would come through it.

Mei
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary

The maître d’ swooped down on her like a vulture on readkill.
“Mademoiselle. I regret, we cannot seat walk-ins.”
“How do you seat anyone if they don’t walk in?”

And since we all know that Eve is not a girl who let others walk on all over her, and here she’s against a very astute killer, she does some great ass-kicking! LOL

If a complicated killer is not enough, one of Roarke’s exes is murking waters! And, we see some serious trouble between Eve and Roarke! WOW!!!

Hahaha!!! And here Sommerset and E
Denise ~The Procrastinating Book Diva~
Although I'm an absolute fan of this series, I'll be the first to admit the majority of the "whodunnits" in the books are relatively easy to figure out before the halfway point. However, Innocent In Death was a nice change. There were so many possible suspects going in so many different directions I was never quite sure who could have killed the innocent Craig Foster. The fact that throughout the story Eve herself couldn't even pinpoint a motive only added to the mystery's mystery!! When I final ...more
Alex ♈
Suspense 4.5 stars / Romance: Roarke 2 to 4 stars, Eve 3 to 5 stars

Excellent suspense. Despite I knew pretty early who was the murderer, the story was extremely captivating. Deep and psychologically well written. Bravo!

Romance. Well, I knew about this book / OW drama for a long time. I was prepared, but still pissed 😤

Damn, Roarke disappointed me. He was so blind and definitely led by his dick. His ex, Magdalena, whom he dated for a year 12 years ago, was a bitch, but very intelligent one. Yes, I
♥Sharon♥
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it

I have to say that this was another solid read in the In Death Series. But I also have to say this one was not my favorite.

For me the murder mystery just wasn’t my cup of tea. It wasn’t gruesome or anything like that rather the basis of it just didn’t sit well with me. There was little page time for Feeney, McNabb and Baxter which was a tad disappointing. I missed having them around.

Then there was some drama going on with Roarke and Eve and this BITCH from his past. It caused me anxiety. I’m no
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
Rereading April 2018 for buddy read. Innocent is one of my Top five - probably Top three In Death books...possibly #1! :) A Five Star Read every single time!! Oh the feelings!

(2015 review) While the case in this book is a good one with a shocker ending, it's the character relationships that shoot this one to the top of my list of In Death books. The character relationship development is huge! When a past love of Roarke's returns to claim the love she left behind 12 years ago, Eve's world is seve
Hulya Kara Yuksel
Oh god, oh god this book was so good!!! J.D.Robb, you're bloody amazing... <3

"You’re not just the center of my world, Eve.” He kissed her brow, her temples, her lips. “You’re the whole of it.”
Ann Lou
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
First, I won't talk much on the murders on this one but the murderer? Oh man, it was damn right creepy.  So unexpected and it was like a punch in the gut.  I was thinking, can it really happen?  Is it possible?

Also a woman (who I want to b*tch slap)from Roarke's past is set to cause trouble and grief in their marriage.  For the first time in starting this series, I did not have hearts in my eyes while reading about Roarke.  Not happy with him here.  Men can be so dense! And also for the first
Bonnie-Anne Carmichael (Love Triangles Are Fucking Stupid.)
In what fucking universe is telling your wife she filled a hole another woman left in you romantic? Like, what the actual fuck?

Jo ★The Book Sloth★
My favorite in the series so far!!

I knew it was that demon!!
Aly is so frigging bored
May 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook, mistery
1st read 11-16 September 2013

2nd read 9-18 January 2016
The kid is the creepiest one I have ever read.
İlkim
Very disturbing one. I knew from the beginning who the killer was but I hoped to see someone else murdered the people. But I wasn't lucky, reading those last pages made me feel sick. But I had to say; an amazing story as always. Eve and Roarke had the biggest problem in their marriage in this one and I was sad half of the book. Of course they worked it out but it was depressing to read.

The author still amazes me. At her every book I can't stop reading. I'll definitely go on.

“She would be a spar
Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide
Roarke vs. Magdalena:"Listen carefully. I'd crush you like a bug for causing my wife one single moment of pain. Believe it. Fear it." ....

Any threat to Eve, whether it be emotional or physical, sure brings out Scary Roarke with a vengenance. Yeah, Roarke was a blind fool at first when it came to Magdalena, but he came to his senses and when he finally saw through Maggie's farce he didn't hold back one bit on his wrath.

Eve vs. Magdalena: I had no doubt Eve would come out swinging, literally. In
Lauren
Innocent in Death
5 Stars

As Lieutenant Eve Dallas and her team strive to uncover the truth behind the shocking death of a well-liked teacher, another threat in the form of a former lover from her husband's past strikes closer to home and jeopardizes everything Eve and Roarke have created together.

Innocent in Death is one of the best installments in the series. The mystery surrounding Craig Foster's murder is gripping and the resolution is both horrific and monstrous yet believable at the same ti
Samantha
Feb 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Innocent in Death is number 24 of J.D. Robb’s “In Death” series and my introduction to the books.

It’s the year 2060 and lieutenant Eve Dallas has taken a case involving a young teacher’s murder. The case seems like a standard poisoning, but Eve is having trouble building a good list of possible suspects. The young teacher seemed honestly well liked in the community with no real enemies. On the home front, Eve is battling her own insecurities as an old flame from her husband’s, path has suddenly
Jul 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It probably means there's something wrong with me but it was good to see a bit of a shake-up in Eve and Roarke's relationship. The introduction of Magdelena, Roarke's reaction, then Eve's reaction to his, and most of all, Summerset's, somehow...it was just all really, really good. There was some really genuine emotion going on, as usual for her books with these characters. But deeper, sadder, more difficult. For the first half of the book at least, the murder seemed almost a distraction from the ...more
Nikk the Sapphired Book Dragon
Yet again another compelling instalment! I both listened and read portions of this instalment and both formats had me glued to the pages. While i kind of guessed the killer early, the twists and turns of the story had me doubting my guess for a while and I really liked there way the mystery unfolded. There was also drama in the Rourke/Dallas relationship arena and I liked the way this was dealt with and the way Rourke and Eve worked through this.

All in all and absolutely thrilling instalment in
Holly
I decided to re-read this book after a discussion about it on Twitter. This was the last In Death book I really loved. Though I've enjoyed some of her other latest releases, none have touched me as much as this one.

I figured out early in who the killer was the first time I read it, but it was still chilling. While the case was interesting and the direction Robb took us for the killer unique, it was the relationship aspects that really grabbed me.

It's no secret that my favorite books in the serie
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
How is it that after 24 books in this series never fails to surprise and excite me. No other author has done that to me, been consistent in their writing.

I have been waiting to read this book especially after seeing reviews that Roarke's former lover will appear in this one, I know we have seen several of the ladies he's slept with but with this book he was pretty infatuated with this particular lover and it made for some tension between him and Eve. The way that tension was handled is among th
Jen
Feb 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eve-and-roarke
Eve and Roarke

One of my favorite books in the series. Magdelana was huge pain in the rear and it was painful yet compelling to watch Eve and Roarke stumble their way through her.

I had an idea who the killer was pretty early on but it was still quite chilling to hear the confession at the end. Very sick.
Ira
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.

I read this one last year, I'm not sure how I feel to be honest.
Roarke's oblivious regarding his ex's attitude make me wanted to smash him often and I'm glad Eve gave him that punch! Hah!

And the villain? I didn't know what to say about it, I think the world it really is getting mad...
Angela James
This has always been one of my favorite In Death books, because the appearance of Magdalena and the interpersonal tension between Eve and Roarke is totally delicious and full of awesome. The only problem with this book is that Roarke doesn't do NEARLY enough groveling.
Catherine
Oy, that was a tough one. The crime was ick. Love it!
Carol
Sep 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
First Read: I'm an absolute fan of this series. Innocent In Death was a strange change. There were so many possible suspects going in so many different directions I was never quite sure who could have killed the innocent Craig Foster. The fact that throughout the story Eve herself couldn't even pinpoint a motive only added to the mystery's mystery!! When I finally did zero in on the killer, I dismissed her for a more "appropriate" suspect. The final showdown between Eve and the suspect was the m ...more
Kavita Kumar-Karthik
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Re-read.

This is by far the most ruthless story I have read in this series. I mean, what the hell ??? I was shocked and scared when the identity of the killer was revealed. When the book began, and we had two teachers die in a school, I was seriously thinking a parent or a colleague. Everything looked so easy and smooth. But damn, I never expected the twist.

As Eve removed the curtains one by one on why she was sure about the killer, everything became clear. And as a mother, this plot affected me
Diane
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
How do you spell evil? I spell it "Raylene Straffo"!

I love this book for many different reasons - a horrible psychopathic child and a woman who strives to be the number one home wrecker - both of whom are extremely dangerous and also pathetic!

Two very good story lines with interconnecting or would that be parallel meanings/morals.

Once again we see how human our main characters are - 2 thumbs up and 5 stars!
J.D. Robb : Innocent In Death - April 2018 182 49 Aug 03, 2018 09:19AM
J.D. Robb : Innocent in Death (Spoiler Zone) 61 278 May 03, 2017 10:11AM
J.D. Robb : Buddy Read - Innocent In Death (Jan. 2015) Spoiler Zone 103 41 Jan 13, 2015 09:41PM
persistence 3 75 May 05, 2014 05:58AM
  • A Touch of Minx (Samantha Jellicoe, #5)
  • Silver Master (Ghost Hunters, #4)
  • Valley of Silence (Circle Trilogy, #3)
  • Gone Too Far (Troubleshooters, #6)
  • Concealed in Death: by J. D. Robb -- Review
  • Ice Blue (Ice, #3)
J.D. Robb is the author of the #1 New York Times bestselling In Death series and the pseudonym for #1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts. The futuristic suspense series stars Eve Dallas, a New York City police lieutenant with a dark past. Initially conceived as a trilogy, readers clamored for more of Eve and the mysterious Roarke. Leverage in Death, on sale September 2018, is the 47th ...more

In Death (1 - 10 of 49 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)
“No. No, I don't believe you'd betray me with her. I don't believe you'd cheat on me. But I'm afraid, and I'm sick in my heart that you might look at her, then at me. And regret.” 957 likes
“She stepped forward as if to pick up the fur she'd tossed over a chair. Smoothly, she turned to hand it to him. And with perfect timing, flung herself into his arms.

The sable fell as he took her shoulders to shove her back.

Eve stepped to the doorway to see Magdelana with her arms locked around Roarke's neck, his hands on her bare shoulders--one of the ivory straps sliding to her elbow.

"Son of a bitch," she said.

On cue, Magdelana spun around, her face full of passion and shock. "Oh, God. Oh...it's not what it looks like."

"Bet." Eve strode in.

Actually, Roarke thought, it was more of a swagger. He had a moment to admire it, before Eve rammed her fist in his face.

"Fuck me." His head snapped back, and he tasted blood.

Magdelana cried out, but even the deaf would have caught the suppressed laughter in the sound. "Roarke! Oh, my God, you're bleeding. Please, let me just--"

"Don't look now," Eve said cheerfully. "But he's not the only one." She decked Magdelana with a straight-armed jab. "Bitch," Eve added as Magdelana's eyes rolled back and she fell, unconscious, to the floor.

Roarke looked down. "Well, now, fuck us all.”
89 likes