Comfort Reads discussion

General > Questions about using Goodreads?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 164 (164 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Post here if you have any questions about how to use Goodreads or you're having problems finding or doing things on Goodreads.

We can help each other out, including sometimes directing questions/concerns to one of the official groups in order to get help.

message 2: by Chrissie (last edited Mar 07, 2010 09:36AM) (new)

Chrissie Lisa, this was a good thread idea. I have in the past always asked Lee in a message to her inbox..... She has always been so kind and helped me! Here we can all help each other, and I will not have to bug poor Lee!

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Chrissie, and All,

Yes, Members message me frequently with questions because I'm so active on the site. I like helping people and so I enjoy that, but sometimes I refer them to the Goodreads Feedback or Goodreads Librarians groups because many heads are better than one.

I don't know if group members here will need/want to use this thread, but I do know that some people are new or fairly new to Goodreads, and even those of us who've been Goodreads members for a long time are always learning about new features, etc.

message 4: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

Lee (leekat) | 3959 comments Mod
I'm learning how to do new things here all the time so this is a great idea. We can all help each other!

And Chrissie, I don't mind you or anyone asking me for help. I don't always have the answers though - LOL! We can pool our knowledge this way.

message 5: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie I know Lee, that is because you are such a nice friend!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I need Goodreads help. There is a member who pops in on another group I'm in just to aggravate the members and disturb the discussions. Where are the official Goodreads rules about blocking members from your group? Where are the Goodreads rules about being a moderator?

message 7: by Lisa (last edited Mar 09, 2010 06:29AM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Jeannette,

It's at the moderator's discretion whether or not to oust a member.

It depends on what you mean by aggravate. You can flag comments, block the member, all depending. You can message the member first if you want but if they're just being provocative deliberately, there's not much point in that.

Here are Goodreads' moderator guidelines:

http://www.goodreads.com/group/modera...

ETA: If you need more guidance, feel free to post again!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks. I will read up on it. :)

message 9: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

Jeannette, it also might be helpful to check out the moderator support group. You may get more ideas about creating guidelines and rules for your group there.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks, Lee. I'll look there, too.

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Jeannette wrote: "Thanks, Lee. I'll look there, too."

Lee wrote: "Jeannette, it also might be helpful to check out the moderator support group. You may get more ideas about creating guidelines and rules for your group there."

Ha! Jeannette, I just messaged you about that group and was then going to mention it in this group. ;-)

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, I am supposed to introduce my self to the moderator group, but I couldn't figure out how to go about it. So, I went ahead and sent a request to join anyway. I suppose someone will contact me? Man, I feel like a newbie today. lol

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Jeannette, Lori handles all the acceptances into the moderator group. She will approve you. Then, there's an introduce yourself thread at the very top of the discussion threads. I think it's a really helpful group.

Anyone who's a mod or co-mod of any Goodreads group might want to consider joining:

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/2...

message 14: by Chrissie (last edited Jul 06, 2010 09:00AM) (new)

Chrissie I have requested at: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3...
that it would be nice if we got a message when our GR friends add a picture to their profile page. I miss when others have posted new photos. Lisa suggested that one could opt in or out for this message, which sounds great! I f you too would like this please go to the above site and voice your opinion. Maybe if many of us want this it could be added!

message 15: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Chrissie, Yes, I do love the idea too! I don't want to miss any Oscar photos!!! ;-)

message 16: by Chrissie (last edited Jul 06, 2010 04:28AM) (new)

Chrissie Lisa, I really was unhappy when I missed the new photo of Lee's Maggie and kitty! That is when I got the idea. (BTW - there are new photos of Oscar.) After missing Lee's photo, I went and tried checking, but everywhere I checked there were no new photos. It is impossible to check everyone! It would be so much easier with the messages!!!

message 17: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Chrissie, I agree. I'm surprised nobody has asked for this before. (Maybe ages ago someone did??) And, yes, I've seen the new photos of Oscar because I happened to see one new addition on my home page so I went to your profile and looked at them all. He's just beautiful. You look great together. I'm glad it's gotten somewhat easier!

message 18: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Much easier!

message 19: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

Chrissie, thanks for starting the thread in feedback group. I just left a comment. It seems like it would be something they could apply quite easily and with a choice to opt in/out, how could anyone object? That picture of Maggie and the cat has been up there since last year I think! I should make an effort to post some more recent ones soon.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I know they send an email when someone comments on a photo, so I would think they could do this, too. I try to just post on chat that I have put up new pictures, but people can miss that, too.

message 21: by Chrissie (last edited Jul 06, 2010 08:38AM) (new)

Chrissie If you want it, please go to the link, above in message 14, and say you do! It doesn't help to just say so here at Comfort Reads.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Chrissie wrote: "If you want it, please go to the link and say you do there! It doesn't help to just say so here at Comfort Reads."

Yes, ma'am! I had to join the group first. :)

message 23: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Thanks, Jeannette! It will come in handy to belong because issues such as this come up fairly frequently, ones where you might want to put in your 2¢.

message 24: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) I think everyone who's posted so far in the Goodreads Feedback thread belongs to this group! Yay Comfort Reads!

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Lisa wrote: "Thanks, Jeannette! It will come in handy to belong because issues such as this come up fairly frequently, ones where you might want to put in your 2¢."

I was a member of the group for a while, back when the "search posts" bug was a top issue, but I winnowed some of my groups in the last month. I do that in a vain effort to reduce my online time. It never works! :)

message 26: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Oh that is nice Jeanette. I guess we are all online right now. I always get a jolt when this happens. We are all sitting here doing this together. :0)

message 27: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Well Jeannette, you could make a point to just not read the Feedback posts and only read and post in threads that come to your attention and in which you have interest.

Yep, it's fun to be posting at the same time with people in all different time zones! ;-)

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

It is a funny feeling to know we are all sitting typing/reading on Goodreads, even across the continents! It was fun when I was in Norway to know that I was in the same time zone with my European friends. :)

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Lisa wrote: "Well Jeannette, you could make a point to just not read the Feedback posts and only read and post in threads that come to your attention and in which you have interest.

Yep, it's fun to be posting..."

I did set it to "no emails" from the group. We should spread the word to other groups about this one. Plus, it will get noticed by other people eventually.

message 30: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie I have also mentioned the link at the Hisotical Fiction Group. Anybody who wanted to could mention it in other groups they often look at.......

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Someone posted to the feedback group that this is already a feature. Lee, I will post a picture to my profile. Let me know if you get any kind of notification of this.

message 32: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Jeannette wrote: "Someone posted to the feedback group that this is already a feature. Lee, I will post a picture to my profile. Let me know if you get any kind of notification of this."

Jeannette, No, I saw someone said it appears on our home pages which is true, but I don't see all the activity on my home page. When my friends get active, it doesn't take long for things to be bumped off the home page. That's why an email each time would be helpful for those of us who want it.

message 33: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 06, 2010 10:25AM) (new)

Thanks, Lisa, now I understand how this works, showing up on the home page feed. I seldom look at my homepage, and if the GR team can post to the update feed, they should be able to add the email notice pretty easily. The mechanism is mostly in place to do this, I would guess.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

I have a general question: I have two friends named "Joy". How can I differentiate between them when I send a message. The auto-type feature just brings up "Joy" twice. I have been going to the profile page and selecting "send message" and that is tedious. Any suggestions?

message 35: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

Jeannette, I have several friends with the same name but I notice the auto feature always differentiates between them with either a last name or an initial. I think I would go crazy if they were all identical like yours. I'm sorry I don't have any bright ideas on how to get around that.

message 36: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) I go to their profile pages and send a message from there. I tell them apart by their avatars. If first name only is what I'm given, which is sometimes the case.

message 37: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Jeanette, you can also go to your inbox and reply to an earlier sent message. Of course you must have already sent the correct Jo a message!

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

I have been using the reply feature and/or the profile method. I can tell them apart by their avatars, but on the "send to" list they are indistinguishable. Thanks everyone! :)

message 39: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Yes, the ability to reply is very helpful!

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Lisa wrote: "Yes, the ability to reply is very helpful!"

I just like to change the subject sometimes. I switched from Jane Austen to soccer today, both conversations with the same person.

message 41: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Jeannette wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Yes, the ability to reply is very helpful!"

I just like to change the subject sometimes. I switched from Jane Austen to soccer today, both conversations with the same person."

I often change the subject heading, yes.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

I guess I didn't think of the obvious, did I? I can just edit the subject line. I am still using regular email protocols, while GR just gives you one uninterrupted email stream. I have to get used to that! :)

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Lisa!

Any tips on how to use the new "tags" feature? What kind of tags will you put on Comfort Reads, for example?

Will they be announcing this feature somewhere?

message 44: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Jeannette, Well, that's a good question because actually members can already search for this group with the words comfort and reads so maybe comfort-books. But, everybody feel free to give suggestions. I added some tags so we'd have some and Lee said she was sure she can think of more, but we're open to suggestions.

Which words besides comfort and reads would have helped you all find this group?!

For my Vegan Book Club group I added:

animal-rights, book-club, bookclub, fiction, real-world, san-francisco, vegan

but I obviously didn't need to add vegan.

I added tags to the 2 groups I mod and the 2 groups I co-mod but it's just a work in progress so far.

Any ideas anybody for this group?

message 45: by Lisa (last edited Jul 07, 2010 06:21PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Jeannette wrote: "Hi Lisa!

Any tips on how to use the new "tags" feature? What kind of tags will you put on Comfort Reads, for example?

Will they be announcing this feature somewhere?"

Otis has announced it in the Feedback group and Rivka came in and announced it in the Moderators Support group, but I don't know about a general announcement. It's in the group settings areas so mods should see it when they go into that area.

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

I've already seen it spreading around to some of the smaller groups I'm on. :)

Thanks for giving me some ideas!

message 47: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Jeannette wrote: "I've already seen it spreading around to some of the smaller groups I'm on. :)

Thanks for giving me some ideas!"

Sure! If you think of any tags for this group, feel free to post your ideas! Thanks, everybody. (Lee might have it covered but I think there's no limit or a large limit, so...

message 48: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie I think we discuss alot in this group. Its members are very active. Could discussions be a tag? Or friendly-people?

message 49: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

Hi Chrissie,

I like your friendly people idea. Discussion might be a little too general because every group has discussions of some sort.

message 50: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Lee, what makes this group exceptional is that the people REALLY are friendly to each other and we all blabb and exchange ideas. Their is alot of real discussion going on. So much so, I cannot read everything.......

« previous 1 3 4