Gigi's Company discussion

Group Reads Discussions > March '10 BotM: Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Burket (kathleengigicompany) | 20125 comments Mod
Please post comments and discussion here for the March '10 Book of the Month:

Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, Book 1) by Jeaniene Frost

message 2: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 166 comments I just finished it and I loved it! I'm glad that this was picked as BoTM because I have had it on my book shelve for months now and never really felt like reading it. But I'm glad I did! Can't wait to start the next one.

message 3: by Gina (new)

Gina (ginrobi) | 3325 comments Mod
*sigh* If I wasn't in love with my hubby, I could easily fall for Bones. Oh, Kristie, wait until you read the rest of the series! I loved Bones even more, LOL! I truly adore the characters, and the cast gets more complicated as you go along, too. Makes for interesting charactes indeed!

message 4: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 166 comments I can't wait!!! I just ordered the others so I'm sitting here waiting for them to arrive in the mail. I can't wait to find out what happens with Bones and Cat. I really though just want to read more about Bones. LOL

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (thehopelessbibliophile) I loved this book! It had been on the TBR pile for a while, and this group finally made me sit down and read it. I still can't believe that I let it sit on the shelf for so long. Kristie, I did the same thing, ordered all the other books in the series as soon as I finished this one. And Gina, I'm right there with you about Bones. If he was real, well... let's just say the boyfriend wouldn't stand much of a chance! ;)

message 6: by Gina (new)

Phew! Glad I'm not the only one, LOL! And you know what? The rest of the series, you'll love Bones all the more.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* I read this one last year and have finally gotten the rest of them. You ladies are right..Bones..yummmmm

message 8: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (colleenct1) | 1537 comments I read this book for another group and this is what I put after I finished:

The prologue did suck me in but as I got futher along it kind of slowed down for me.

I really liked Bones and Cat they were good together. I did not like Cat's mother. I kept thinking, who in their right mind would send a teenager out to kill vampires. I thought she was a bit over the top.

I though this story was just alright, it started out good, the middle was slow and then I liked the ending. I would like to find out how Cat and Bones get back together but it is not high on my list of books to buy right away.

message 9: by Kathleen (last edited Mar 22, 2010 02:44PM) (new)

Kathleen Burket (kathleengigicompany) | 20125 comments Mod
I glad that Colleen posted her review before me because I would think I seriously missed something if I was the only person who thought that this book was a fairly stereotypical, but slightly flawed, paranormal. Here goes.

-------------------------------

Quick, easy read. It didn't dragged and I never felt like I was forcing myself to continue. Few inconsistencies.

On the converse, I didn't like the mythos that Frost has created. With the exception of Bones and Spade, vamps in this universe are amoral creatures who routinely take human life (or worse) without remorse. I enjoy vampire novels where vamps are a separate species, different, not evil. There are a few authors who write excellent series about turned vamps, Maggie Shayne comes quickly to mind, but Frost hasn't hooked me into this series and I doubt that I will continue with the Night Huntress books. Also, I really didn't like Bones or Cat.

Bones - Maybe this is as much a mythos problem as a problem with the character, but I didn't enjoy Bones' hormonally driven territoriality. He scares Timmie, Cat's college student next door neighbor, and later breaks the hand of the jerkwad who was Cat's first lover. Okay, the guy was a jerk, but I would have enjoyed it more if Bones had compelled him to cackle like a chicken while standing naked on the highway in full view of the public, rather than breaking his hand -- an act of gratuitious violence. Also, Bones' testosterone chest thumping response ultimately resulted in the deaths of Cat's grandparents.

Cat - Cat's character showed equal hormonally driven territoriality in her response to Francesca. That's why I'm not sure if it is more a problem with the mythos, rather a problem with the characters, but these characters did not win my sympathy.

Honestly I think that I would like to rate this book 3.5 stars, but Goodreads does not let us click half a star. It does read more smoothly than most of the books to which I have given 3 stars, but isn't the "pretty, darn good book" to which I would normally give 4 stars. So, I'm clicking 3 stars, but it is a little better than that rating.

message 10: by Amanda A (new)

Amanda A (carolinabookworm) I also read this book last year and really enjoyed it. I just recently got around to reading the second book and I enjoyed it as much as the first. I can't wait to read the rest of the series and the new spin-off series.

message 11: by Gina (last edited Apr 01, 2010 08:10PM) (new)

The spin off series isn't as good, but they're okay. I can't wait for Mencheres's book, coming out in July, Eternal Kiss of Darkness. After what he went through in the Night Huntress series, he deserves an HEA.

message 12: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 166 comments I just read the second book in the series!One Foot in the Grave HOLY COW!!!! WOW is all I have to say. Can't wait to start the next.

message 13: by Gina (new)

Kristie, I know what you mean. I want Bones, LOL!

message 14: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 166 comments I finished this series last week. I was sad to see it end, but at the same time thought it ran its course. I thought the first two were the best in the series. I felt bad for Tate in this series, even though he was sort of a jerk, he loved her and was upset. I hope that she makes him be one of the vampires in her next series that gets to finally find someone to love and love him back.

This has become one of my all time favorite series and I'm excited to start reading her other series.

message 15: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 166 comments Ok I spoke to soon! The series isn't over, lol there is a fifth one coming out soon. This Side of the Grave (Night Huntress, #5) by Jeaniene Frost This Side of the Grave. =)

message 16: by Gina (new)

Rubbing my hands together! I can't wait!

message 17: by Sam (new)

Sam | 1857 comments I finally got around to reading this book back in September, I had started it back in March but only got a few pages in and then started another book and HTG needed to go back to the library. I picked the book up cheap at a used book store this summer and tried it again. I enjoyed it and ended up giving it a 4 star rating.

I loved Bones right away, Cat took awhile for me to warm upto. I look forward to reading more of this and see how it develops.

message 18: by Gina (new)

Same here, Sam. Bones was it for me. I warmed up to him before Cat. For me, it was like Cat was trying too hard.

The rest of the series only gets better.