Start by marking “Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1)” as Want to Read:
Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1)

Halfway to the Grave

(Night Huntress #1)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  151,875 ratings  ·  7,821 reviews
Flirting With The Grave…

Half-vampire Catherine Crawfield is going after the undead with a vengeance, hoping that one of these deadbeats is her father – the one responsible for ruining her mother’s life. Then she’s captured by Bones, a vampire bounty hunter, and is forced into an unlikely partnership.

In exchange for help finding her father, Cat agrees to train with the sexy
Mass Market Paperback, 358 pages
Published October 30th 2007 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Halfway to the Grave, please sign up.
Mai_mostafa It is an even mix, you may say. prefect for me, really. There is action scenes and a storyline enough to be a pageturner but this book also build the …moreIt is an even mix, you may say. prefect for me, really. There is action scenes and a storyline enough to be a pageturner but this book also build the romance of one of the greatest couple in the PNR world, so there is character development, humor, angst, romance, family, friendship and of course steamy sex. Above all, the two main characters are individually loved AND a loved couple. Cat is a badass, sassy, funny, emotionally-damaged, insecure in ways and over secure in others but she grows so beautifully to except who she is. Bones is simply one of the most amazing swoon worthy males in PNR, not only is he a hot british dude with the accent and looks and charm, he has a very well built character that makes you fall in love with him no question asked.
I highly HIGHLY recommend this series to everyone(less)

·  151,875 ratings  ·  7,821 reviews

Start your review of Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1)
Kat Kennedy
May 16, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People who balance out their literary diet with Junk Food Fiction.
I remember someone explaining, chemically, how a cheese burger works. How the fatty meat combined with the fatty cheese and the white buns make a cholesterol parade in your blood stream that gives you endorphins that make you happy when you eat it. Something about that combination, seems to give our bodies a buzz. They were explaining that THAT'S why cheeseburgers and Mcdonald's in particular are so damn popular. They're addictive foods because we get addicted to the buzz of eating them.

When it
Lyndsey
Calling all Spikeaholics. Warning. Warning. Sexual content abounds!

This book is the perfect fit to fill the Buffy-sized hole in my heart.

Cat is a part vamp/part human, super-strength, vampire-slaying goddess with eyes that glow green when she gets riled up. She has been slaying since the age of 16. Bones is her sleek-and-sexy, bleach blonde, British vampire sidekick who also slays vampires for kicks. And for the bounty. Together they form a kick-ass team who love to heat things up on the dance f
Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
5 Hallo Kitten Stars

First read 2/20/2014
Reread 11/19/2015
Re re read 11/11/2019
Reread 4/13/2021 (reread to refresh details for the costume funko pops)

*Spoilers*

"Is that a stake, Bones, or are you just happy with my new dress?"-Cat

photo 10230401_zpsq1lk7d1r.gif

"Maybe he knew. Maybe on some deep, deep level, he could sense I was evil. I wish I hadn't been born this way. I wish I hadn't been born at all."-Cat

My God I love this series. I loved this book the first time I read it and I love it more now. Night Huntress series is
Val ⚓️ Shameless Handmaiden ⚓️
4 Stars

One of my followers (shout out to Natisha!) sent me a message yesterday asking me if I had read this series. She said it was one of her all-time favorites and, being that I love Knox so much, she thought I would love this too (if I hadn't read it already).

Now, I have read and loved all romance - especially PNR - since I was 12 years old...so over 25 years now. And being that this was originally released in 2007 (I believe), I have NO clue why I haven't read this series yet.

NONE.

I mean,
Cece ❀Rants, Raves &Reviews❀
Welcome to the wonderful (cliche) world of vampires. TBH I read this book for the funny title but it actually surprised me.
description

It had a great blend of supernatural and urban fantasy world building – sexy, dark, romantic, witty, action filled plot, filled with fantastic characters.

So the plot *deep raspy voice* Its been years since Cat learned of her true despicable nature, and hundreds of people have died. Some by bad luck. Others by pure stupidity. I mean really, why would you CHOSE to go to a
Tatiana
May 17, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: fans of very light paranormal romance
Shelves: romancelandia, 2010

I feel a little torn about this book. Can't say I didn't enjoy it in some way, but at the same time I can hardly say anything in its defense.

What I liked:

1) Spunky dialog.

2) Dirty talk.

3) Steamy hooking-up - Bones is a very generous, attentive and giving lover, if you know what I mean.

What I didn't like:

1) This is not urban fantasy, this is paranormal romance. The majority of the book is dedicated to flirting, snogging, hooking up, and love confessions.

2) Many complain that Bones is Sp
Debra

★★★★★ 5 'I think I've found my new favorite PNR/UF SERIES!!' STARS.

CAT:

"You're not a woman. You're the Grim Reaper with red hair!"

BONES:
"If you run from me, I will chase you, and I'll find you…"

Short summary:

Catherine "Cat" Crawfield is a 22-year-old half human/half vampire. Ever since she was a little girl her mother, a human who was once date-raped by a vampire and thus became pregnant with Catherine, has told her that all vampires are evil, demonic creatures that c
Aestas Book Blog
This is one of THE ABSOLUTE BEST PNR/UF series out there!! With one of the strongest long-lasting couples. Here's how I see Bones... are you drooling yet??

Alex is The Romance Fox
I am ecstatic …….a fabulicious new series!!! Sexy vampires….what else could I ask for???? Cat & Bones are now my favorite vampire couple!!!!
 photo images2_zpse9821aa6.jpg
Cat is a sexy, kick-ass half-human/half-vampire determined to kill vampires…after all her mother was raped by an evil vampire, aka her father.
“I'm saying that I'm a moody, insecure, narrow-minded, jealous, borderline homicidal bitch, and I want you to promise me that you're okay with that, because it's who I am, and you're what I need.”

Katrina Passick Lumsden
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm.......

Conflicted.

I've been pondering for far too long regarding this book and how I feel about it. In the beginning, I dug it. I mean, I dug it! Right? I did. I mean, yeah, the writing is shallow and quick, the characters are just shoved in your face and then taken away at the author's whim, but the dialogue and action are engaging, and it keeps you reading. That's good, right? Turns out, not always. Like road trips. They're awesome until someone blindfolds you and directs you right off
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁
2/7/18 - ON SALE for $2.99:

GAH.

So here's the deal: NIGHT HUNTRESS by Jeaniene Frost is one of the first UF series I ever read, so it holds a special place in my heart.

That being said, there are aspects that haven't aged well. At all.

Things that were cornball the first time I read them in 2007 are borderline stoopid in 2015.

Things like:

“I thawt I thaw a putty tat.”

Okay, that was always stoopid.

How 'bout this:

“Tell me why you registered for college?” I
xrysa
Jun 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The greatest thing you can learn from love is to be loved in return.

Bones

Cat

I have no words about this book!I was aware that the series is addictive and really good but I didnt expect perfection and yes it was indeed perfect.The characters,the storyline and everything were so carefully developed and well written.Bones made me swoon so badly with his attitude/arrogance and his conversations with Cat either left me giggling or laughing out loud.

“You're not a woman," he said finally. "You're t
Kristen
Solid 4 Stars!

description

It's about time I started this series!! I won't waste time writing a review for a book/series that everyone but me seems to have read.

I adored Cat and Bones. Their banter, chemistry, and humor was simply fabulous. I now understand why so many readers consider them their favorite paranormal couple. Even with the lame cliffhanger ending, which is no big deal considering the series is complete, Halfway to the Grave is a great start to what looks to be an awesome series.
Emily May
Mar 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: PR fans, buffy fans :)
Shelves: paranormal-uf, 2011, pnr
EDIT: I'm adding a honorary star to the first two books in this series, just because Frost has been consistently awesome throughout.

If you know me at all, you'll know about my teeny tiny obsession with a certain TV show, and one certain character in particular... even if you don't know me, anyone who's read this book has probably guessed it, right?

So, let's see:

Platinum blonde hair... check.

Vampire... check.

Killer cheekbones... check.

English accent... check.

Eloquently employed British slang ("so
Tammy
Great book.

Lots of laugh-out-loud fun.

Best dialogue I've read in a very long time. Brilliant!

Sexy vampires and a kick-ass heroine.

Do I need to point out that the paranormal genre is NOT my favorite? It doesn't matter - this author's writing style and fantastic sense of humor sucked me right in.

No need for me to write a review on this one since I am probably the last person on GR to finally read it, but I am posting a few of my favorite quotes ...

"Lucifer's bouncing balls, Kitten, not again!"
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Re/read
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Buddy read with Danae, Asya, Shelly, Mariana, Lea, Vicky & Robin (our official, cape-wearing stalker) starting Feb. 13, 2015.

💀 DNF at 74%.

Thou art not dreaming dear friends, it happened again. I'm the freak who didn't like the book with a stellar average rating.

First of all, let me say that my rating for this book has nothing to do with the book itself and everything to do with what I expected it to be. I had made some silly assumptions before reading this (don't ask me where they came from, I
Shawna
5+ stars – Vampire Romance/Urban Fantasy

I know a review isn’t really necessary for this book since there are already so many raves for it and lots of Cat and Bones fans, so I’ll just use my review as a means for gushing over how much I loved it!

Bad-ass half human/half vampire Cat Crawfield, armed with her acerbic wit, bitchy attitude, flaming red hair, slut gear, thigh-high leather boots, and silver knives, stakes, and bullets, slays vampires with a gusto that makes Buffy look like a girl scout.
Sophia Triad
“You're not a woman," he said finally. "You're the Grim Reaper with red hair!”

Hahahahaha

Cat is a feisty red-haired heroine who usually kills someone first and introduce herself and ask questions later, i.e. normally there is no one alive to ask him questions after she finishes. Half vampire and half human (an impossible, unheard-of breed), Cat has one and only purpose in her 22 years of existence: She has to kill as many vampires as possible. Nobody told her that not all vampires are
Amy | Foxy Blogs
On sale for $1.99 -> http://amzn.to/1vSsSq4
12/15/2014
---------------------------------------

SERIOUSLY!!! Why’d I wait so long to read this book?! I bought it a year ago but let it sit on my kindle. Now, I’m kicking myself because this whole year I could have been experiencing BONES! Move over, Edward, there’s a new vampire in town and he’s sexy, British and has a sense of humor.

•••••••
I laughed so hard while reading this book. Who knew vampires could be so humorous?!

“Lucifer's bouncing balls
Ronda
Nov 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cat and Bones.... an explosive double act that had me on the edge of my seat at times! I loved the action packed romance, the deceit and mystery of their enemies and the funny quips that filled the pages along the way.

I really enjoyed this book, the fight that Cat has on her hands throughout, her mother's hatred of vampires (and for good reason) and the way it impacts on her life. A really gripping story that left me with a desire to reach for the 2nd book straight away!!

For those that enjoy Ker
Rachel Reads Ravenously
reread 8/2020

5 stars

This is a book I read before I started reviewing and blogging, and it's oh so special to me. Cat and Bones are my favorite PNR couple, and when I recently got myself into a horrifyingly bad book slump, I turned to them for help. I've read this book so many times I've lost count, but I always find something new to appreciate I may have never noticed the first time around. I am so very tempted to continue rereading the rest of this series, and switching to PNR books only f
Lady Vigilante (Feifei)
4 stars!

description

I recently got caught up in this awesome anime show Naruto so I lost a lot of my reading mojo but thankfully, my friend Rachel recommended this book to me and thinking that all I needed was a break from contemporary I picked it up. Though the first quarter of the story was on the slow side, once the plot moved forward and the action and steamy scenes were showcased, I could not put this book down. The spunky dialogue, the kickass main characters, and the author’s ability to captivate me
carol.
Aug 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of PNR
Two and a half stars.

If you love this, great. I'm happy you and Frost have found each other, and I wish you many hot and heavy installments. But I suggest moving on to another review, because I'm going to be very blunt: I remain unimpressed by paranormal romance, and Frost's Halfway to the Grave seems a rather mediocre example of the genre.

I occasionally get tempted to try paranormal, searching for that one story to surprise me. In this case, a number of friend reviews, particularly Mimi's revi
Robin (Bridge Four)
Jun 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Re-reading the Series with my friends at Buddies Books and Baubles

This held up remarkably well. Sometimes when I go back to reread a series I don't enjoy it nearly as much but Cat, Bones and the world of the Night Huntress withstood the test of time.

“You're not a woman," he said finally. "You're the Grim Reaper with red hair!”

A female Blade in her early years as a vampire hunter. Cat has a few daddy issues, one is she doesn’t know who he is since he raped her mother and then vanished. But t
Darynda Jones
Mar 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
WOW! I am loving this!!!
Auntee
Jul 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of JR Ward or Kresley Cole's IAD--or anyone who enjoys a wickedly exciting paranormal
Recommended to Auntee by: All my GR buddies
Awesome F-U-N!! I loved this book--I'd rank it right up there with any of the BDB books. Jeaniene Frost writes in a similar witty style as JR Ward does, which I love. I swear I had a smile on my face for 90% of the book. And it was HOT! Not quite erotic, but plenty steamy. I knew that I was in for some steamy reading when the hero Bones was trying to train the heroine Cat not to blush when he 'talked dirty to her'. Whew! There was also tons of action with Cat as a kick-ass, yet vulnerable, lovea ...more
Jilly
This is the story of two hipsters who rescued, yes re-purposed, two dogs and ironically named them "Cat" and "Bones".

Freaking hipsters ruining everything! Leave our doggies alone!

So, just kidding. Obviously. But, the dumb-ass names are why I have never read this book series, even though it is totally in my wheelhouse. I just couldn't handle the idea of a romantic lead being named "Bones". It's stupid, so I have held off all of these years. But, recently I read one of those .5 books where there a
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
Third re-read: 12.01.2021
I love Bones. Cat is awesome, though a bit naive and childish, and frankly a bit too arrogant. But their chemistry is great and again, I love Bones.
New Rating - 3.5 stars.

⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱*Kitten*⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱

Second re-read: 05.11.2018
The book centers around half-vampire Catherine ‘Cat’ ‘Cathy’ ‘Kitten’ Kathleen Crawfield (22) and a vampire bounty hunter/(view spoiler) (view spoiler)
Don
WHY

HAS

"I thawt I thaw a putty tat"
The mocking voice caused my pain to dissipate in a rush of terror. When I saw the vampire close by, I shuddered.
"I did , I did thee a putty tat!"

IT

TAKEN

"Fine. I promise I won't kill him."
He said it too easily. My eyes narrowed.
"Promise me right here and
PureFit StellaTrim : *Must* Read Review Before Order 1 4 Dec 19, 2019 10:23PM
Movie/TV Show 47 666 Jan 05, 2019 01:27PM
Vampires, Weres a...: April BotM: Halfway to the Grave 116 36 Apr 21, 2018 10:05PM
A Million More Pages: BOTM 2017 - Halfway To The Grave - Starts 7th January 120 104 Feb 21, 2018 08:48AM

• Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, #1)
  • Darkfever (Fever, #1)
  • Angels' Blood (Guild Hunter, #1)
  • Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1)
  • Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1)
  • A Hunger Like No Other (Immortals After Dark, #1)
  • Slave to Sensation (Psy-Changeling, #1)
  • Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #1)
  • Some Girls Bite (Chicagoland Vampires, #1)
  • First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1)
  • Burn for Me (Hidden Legacy, #1)
  • Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, #1)
  • Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1)
  • Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1)
  • Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2)
  • Blood Bound (Mercy Thompson, #2)
  • Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3)
  • Bloodfever (Fever, #2)
See top shelves…
Jeaniene Frost is the New York Times, USA Today, and international bestselling author of the Night Huntress series, the Night Prince series, the Broken Destiny series, and the new Night Rebel series. To date, foreign rights for her novels have sold to twenty different countries. Jeaniene lives in Florida with her husband Matthew, who long ago accepted that she rarely cooks and always sleeps in on ...more

Night Huntress (7 books)
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • At Grave's End (Night Huntress, #3)
  • Destined for an Early Grave (Night Huntress, #4)
  • This Side of the Grave (Night Huntress, #5)
  • One Grave at a Time (Night Huntress, #6)
  • Up from the Grave (Night Huntress, #7)