The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 30.1 (Roseann's Task - Spring Fling)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments 30.1 - Roseann's Task - Spring Fling
A.Read a book with the word Spring in the title.
And
B. Read a book with "Fling, Throw, or Toss" in the title.

message 2: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments SWEET IDEA! Can't wait to investigate!

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments Interesting! I have no books in my to be read shelves that fit this challenge :).

message 4: by Nicole (last edited Feb 28, 2010 07:47PM) (new)

message 5: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Roseanne, would The Dead-Tossed Waves work for the second part of the task?

message 7: by Diane (new)

Diane | 742 comments Wow. I have 1357 books here and none with those words.

message 8: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Nicole wrote: "I am being Cait right now (you don't mind, right Cait?)!

Part B Ideas:
The Toss of a Lemon
Toss the Bride
Throw Like A Girl: Stories
Million-Dolla..."</i>

Not at all! And thank you for the link to [book:Cold Spring Harbor
. That looks really good.

message 9: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Diane wrote: "Wow. I have 1357 books here and none with those words."

I have 1500+ and no matches either, lol. :o)

message 10: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra The only books my library has for Part B are:
Fling And Other Stories by John Hersey
A Stone's Throw from Ellis Island by Thomas J. Espenshade

I don't want to subject myself to 500 pages of the economic implications of immigration to New Jersey, so Fling and Other Stories it is.

John Hersey is a Pulitzer prize winner, if anyone else is looking for something to read.

message 11: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Another question. Are we accepting any variations? Like threw, thrown, or throwing?

message 12: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments My library doesn't have a copy of Cold Spring Harbor! WTF, Timberland Regional Libraries?

message 13: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Cait wrote: "My library doesn't have a copy of Cold Spring Harbor! WTF, Timberland Regional Libraries?"

WTF! Mine does not either! Must be out of print or way random since Columbus Public Libraries has had EVERYTHING I have ever searched for!

message 14: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Would pluralizing or suffixes be allowed?

i.e.: springs, springing
tossed, tossing, flinging

message 15: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15624 comments Mod
Just did a search on my library website and found one that sounds interesting -
No applause-- just throw money, or, The book that made vaudeville famous : a high-class, refined entertainment
by Trav S. D.

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 335 comments I think I'm reading Dark Spring for the first part. Still trying to figure out what to read for the second part.

message 17: by Rach (new)

Rach (rachlovestv) | 263 comments Cait wrote: "My library doesn't have a copy of Cold Spring Harbor! WTF, Timberland Regional Libraries?"

SnoIsle Libraries FTW! http://catalog.sno-isle.org/cgi-bin/c... They have 2 copies. Maybe you could do an ILL, Cait?

message 18: by Sara ♥ (last edited Feb 28, 2010 10:16PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments I've got:

Scandal in Spring by Lisa Kleypas
New Spring by Robert Jordan
Rites of Spring (Break) by Diana Peterfreund

Nothing for fling, etc.

Edit: Searched my library database. Apparently "Highland Fling" is a popular book title... I think I'm going to go with the Katie Fforde version... Highland Fling

Edit #47: I'm sad I can't read Dragons Don't Throw Snowballs (too short), because I'm not entirely convinced that's true... ;)

message 19: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Sara ♥ wrote: "I've got:

Scandal in Spring by Lisa Kleypas
New Spring by Robert Jordan
Rites of Spring (Break) by Diana Peterfreund

Nothing for fling, etc.

Edit: Sear..."

New Spring! Yes. I knew I had a book with Spring in the title! Thanks Sara!!!

message 22: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Rachel wrote: "Cait wrote: "My library doesn't have a copy of Cold Spring Harbor! WTF, Timberland Regional Libraries?"

SnoIsle Libraries FTW! http://catalog.sno-isle.org/cgi-bin/c......"

How do I love thee? Let me count thy ways... :o)

Thank you! I'll put in a request tomorrow and see what they say. You're the best!

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments Would Springs work? Just wondering.

message 25: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Just bumping this up. I am still struggling to find things that sound good that my library has!

message 26: by Angela (new)

Angela | 412 comments Yes, I have spring but nothing for the second part...

message 27: by Angela (new)

Angela | 412 comments Rosanne seems to be MIA??!!

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments Nicole, I am reading Spring Rain by Gayle Roper AND The Fling by Elda Minger

message 29: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Until told otherwise, I'm planning to use The Girl Who Threw Butterflies. I mean, if she's MIA, she can't say no, right?

*clutches book to chest, shifty eyes*

It doesn't help that my library system has nothing but children's picture books and bodice rippers for the dictionary forms of "throw," "toss," or "fling."

message 30: by Erin (NY) (new)

Erin (NY) (erin_p) | 629 comments Would Spring Awakening count for part A? It is a play, but it is over 100 pages...

message 31: by Angela (new)

Angela | 412 comments True Ms. Anderson!! I was hoping to get clarification about using alternative words myself as asked by someone else earlier.

message 32: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments the term "bodice rippers" always cracks me up! :)

message 33: by Liz M (new)

Liz M I wish the other synonyms of fling were acceptable: affair, party, etc.

message 34: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments I agree. Those three words are almost impossible to find. As of this point I am going with the Jessica Fletcher book. But that isn't really want I want.

message 35: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments I ended up choosing
Spring and Fall

and still am undecided about part 2. Very odd selection of books with those words in it!

message 36: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments For the first part, I can't decide between Death in Spring and Demons in the Spring - they both look really interesting. I'm leaning toward Demons in the Spring since I just happened to pick up one of his novels at a library sale and the back cover had good reviews from Tom Perrotta and Irvine Welsh. I just requested both from the library, so we'll see. Maybe I'll end up reading them both. :o)

I've decided on Throw Like A Girl: Stories for part 2. The description sounds good and my library has a copy of this as well.

message 37: by Alice (new)

Alice (aliceg) | 429 comments i'm finding to find any book that i want to read at all for this task. might be one of the ones i don't even attempt to do this season!

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments I emailed her and asked her and she said that she wants us to stick with these words.

message 39: by Manday (new)

Manday | 311 comments Nicole - I am getting Cold Spring Harbor from the OSU library, if you have any connections. I was going to use it for the names task, but it is probably better to put it here since choices are so limited.

message 40: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Manday wrote: "Nicole - I am getting Cold Spring Harbor from the OSU library, if you have any connections. I was going to use it for the names task, but it is probably better to put it here since choices are so l..."

I do not...but thanks for the idea!

message 41: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Dang. I found an interesting book but it's THROWS :(
When Life Throws You a Curve: One Girl's Triumph Over Scoliosis

message 43: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments kiki wrote: "the term "bodice rippers" always cracks me up! :)"

I've read a lot of romance novels, but no one has ripped any bodices yet... Sad times!

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 335 comments Boo. I really wanted to read Found: The Best Lost, Tossed, and Forgotten Items from Around the World for this but we can't use tossed.

I'm all out of ideas. My library doesn't have alot of these and I am not about to spend money on something I am forcing myself to read. lol. I'll probably skip this one because I doubt I will come close to finishing this monster of a challenge anyways! :) ... that is unless anyone has any really good ideas.

message 46: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Are we sure Roseann isn't going to allow other FORMS of the 3 words?

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 335 comments I'm not sure. I thought Sarah said she messaged her but maybe she was just talking about other words. I'm just going with no until I hear otherwise so I don't get my hopes up lol

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments This is what she said to me: I really wanted to stay with these words. If you have terrible trouble finding anything, let me know and I will update the challenge.

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments So if you guys want to explain your troubles to her in emails. I guess that would be the best way to get across to her.

message 50: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Or at least ask her if she'll take variations of the words, like "flings" and "tossed" and stuff...

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.