Urban Fantasy discussion

UF BOOK CHAT > Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews (Possible Series Spoilers!)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 90 (90 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Bookworms (new)

Bookworms | 10 comments I'm not sure if you discussed this great series, didn't find a topic here.

I finished with the third book of this series and it was very good like the other two. The books are full of tension and the story around the nice character Kate and the sexy shapeshifter Curran are very very hot and full of magic.

I like this series very well and can't wait for the next book.

Part 1: Magic Bites
Part 2: Magic Burns
Part 3: Magic Strikes
Part 4: Magic Bleeds (06/2010)

What you are think about this series?

message 2: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 367 comments No Magic Bleeds is released 5/2010 in the US. I am VERY excited. Love Curran and Derek!To me this is one of those series that just gets better each book.

message 3: by Bookworms (new)

Bookworms | 10 comments Oh, was a mistake in writing with 06/2010. Thanks for the correction :-)

Yes, I totally agree with you, that this books are better and better with each book. Similar to Patricia Briggs, I think.

message 4: by Paula (last edited Feb 28, 2010 01:16PM) (new)

Paula (pauldajo) The Kate Daniel series made me appreciate Urban Fantasy. Ilona Andrews is responsible for the huge UF TBR pile in my living room!

message 5: by DREA :) (new)

DREA :) | 12 comments I am so excited for thee one, I love the series.The whole magic and tech ruling over ,kates power and her task of killing her super powerful father, and of course CURRAN :)

message 6: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 367 comments I just want to understand why she has to kill him. I feel like we have only seen a glimpse into that back story.

Also does anyone know if there is a finite number of books in this series?

message 7: by DREA :) (new)

DREA :) | 12 comments I fell the same way... I cannot wait till she meet him to see his reaction. I kindaelike she's slowly having a change of heart

message 8: by VMom (new)

VMom (votermom) | 23 comments This is one of my favorite series. I love the worldbuilding most of all, I think.

I really, really like On the Edge, which is the start of another series.

message 9: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 109 comments Dawn, I think they are contracted for 7 books in the series. I guess maybe that could change, but so far expect 7.

I love this series. I have to admit, I wasn't in love with Magic Bites. I think it took a while for me to understand the magic/tech world. After Magic Burns I was in, and after Magic Strikes I was completely addicted. Since we get more Curran with each book, that could have something to do with it. :P I absolutely love the banter and tension between Kate and Curran.

message 10: by Tina (new)

Tina | 21 comments Carrie - I agree. I wasn't in luv with Magic Bites either. It took be until Magic Burns to finally understand the magic lingo. But I'm totally hooked on this series. Can't wait for more.

message 11: by Bookworms (new)

Bookworms | 10 comments 7 books? wow, that sounds great because I can't read enough of this wonderful series

message 12: by Ctanner (new)

Ctanner | 9 comments I found this series on accident and man am I glad I made a mistake. I just finished Magic Strikes and it was fabulous. The series is getting better and better. I love Kate. She is strong, very independent, loyal, but still flawed. The sexual tension between Curran and her is awesome and I am glad that the entire series is not just about their relationship. Cannot wait until Magic Bleeds. I recommend this series to anyone who will listen to me.

message 13: by VMom (new)

VMom (votermom) | 23 comments I love the series. But the one character I can't get is Saiman. Is he supposed to be hot? I can't take him seriously and I wonder what his role will be further on.

message 14: by Tina (new)

Tina | 21 comments Mayakda wrote: "I love the series. But the one character I can't get is Saiman. Is he supposed to be hot? I can't take him seriously and I wonder what his role will be further on."

LOL ... I'm so with you! I have a hard time picturing him because it's such a weird character. I don't get him either. His true form is monsterous (?) but he can morph into anything. I think kate always says he makes his bodies to perfect and looks funny and unnatural.

message 15: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 367 comments Saiman for some reason I like him. He is so self absorbed he is like I deal in information and you will pay me. I think it is a nice change in power I also love the fact he is insecure in how he really looks.

message 16: by VMom (new)

VMom (votermom) | 23 comments Dawn wrote: "Saiman for some reason I like him. He is so self absorbed he is like I deal in information and you will pay me. I think it is a nice change in power I also love the fact he is insecure in how he re..."

There is something childlike in him, isn't there? At least for me. He could make a good villain, imo.

message 17: by Ctanner (new)

Ctanner | 9 comments I like the character of Saiman because you don't really know what to think of him. You start to like him and then he does something messed up, like co-owning the illegal Midnight Games where killing is a sport.

message 18: by Mrs. (new)

Mrs. Badass (mrsbadass) | 20 comments One of my absolute favorite series. I love Kate. I think she is a fantastic Lead. Curran too. I can't wait for May. I'm wishing away months :-) I follow the blog for snippets and teasers, it's torturous but Ilona posted page 71 (of the manuscript) the other day for us to read and OMG!!!! I can't wait.

I like all the characters. Even Saiman, who I find just as confusing as Kate does.

message 19: by Dawn (last edited Mar 06, 2010 03:45PM) (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 367 comments Her world and characters are fantastic! I love the fact that the men feel like men and not a tool, like "Oh love me because I love you" or "I will not use my alpha ways with you"...as if an alpha could all the sudden become submissive.

I wonder what happened to Anna she was in the first book and then poof just gone...

I also wonder what is up with Nick, who does he really work for Roland or the Order...However he did give Kate some awesome advice about alienating herself.

By the way is Kate a mage?

message 20: by DREA :) (new)

DREA :) | 12 comments Dawn wrote: "Her world and characters are fantastic! I love the fact that the men feel like men and not a tool, like "Oh love me because I love you" or "I will not use my alpha ways with you"...as if an alpha c..."

I totally agree. I think/hope that nick is working under cover to bust roland. And I love how curran acts towards kate

message 21: by Bookworms (new)

Bookworms | 10 comments @ Dawn

Well, a good question. From my perspective as I has understand it right than she have magic abilities. But in which way it's not clear for me at the moment. Maybe the next books will clear that.

message 22: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 179 comments I get the impression that in Kate's world a mage is a more dedicated magic user. I think technically she is one, considering she has words of power, but she doesn't identify as one?

message 23: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 367 comments I will be glad to get the next book! Maybe she is just other... I hope she will not have to fight Roland but I expect Hugh to make an appearance.

@Drea I love Curran!

message 24: by Ctanner (new)

Ctanner | 9 comments Andrews has stated that there will be 7 books in the series. So, IMO, the showdown with Roland is not going to happen until the 6th or 7th book. It feels like everything is leading to that and then the series will end. Love the series!

message 25: by Shannon (new)

Shannon C. | 22 comments This is one of my favorite urban fantasy series. Terrific! Don't miss the anthology in Must Love Hellhounds, which should be read after Magic Strikes. A nice short story to tide us over until the next book comes out!

message 26: by E. (new)

E. (angelmercury) | 1 comments I'm currently on the third book and I have to say this is one of my favorite series. The world of Tech vs Magic is great.

I love that Kate is obviously really powerful but uses magic pretty sparingly. She's also great Show, don't tell character. She never narrates how kick butt she is, she just goes out and get to it. The tension with Curran is also great.

This series has a lot of forward potential and I can't wait to see where it goes.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 113 comments Eva, Magic Strikes is brilliant; hands down my favorite UF book of last year. It's at once hilarious and heartbreaking and I loved the continued development of the series. I'm looking forward to rereading them all before Magic Bleeds comes out.

message 28: by Ctanner (new)

Ctanner | 9 comments Eva wrote: "I'm currently on the third book and I have to say this is one of my favorite series. The world of Tech vs Magic is great

I totally agree with you. When I started the series I really liked it, but it wasn't unitl the third book that the series now tops my list of favorite urban fantasy series (tied with The Dresden Files).

message 29: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 367 comments SCook wrote: "This is one of my favorite urban fantasy series. Terrific! Don't miss the anthology in Must Love Hellhounds, which should be read after Magic Strikes. A nice short story to tide us over until the n..."

That was really good and I knew at some point Andrea was going to cave I mean how could you not??

SPOILER
The apple thing threw me though and I wondered if pie Curran ate had similar apples??

message 30: by Mrs. (new)

Mrs. Badass (mrsbadass) | 20 comments Dawn, I'm going to go out on the apple branch and say that yes Curran ate the magic apples she used in her pie :P

is it May 25th yet?

LOL

message 31: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 179 comments Did ya'll notice she has the beginnings of a short story in a recent blog post?

Birthday Story Part 1

message 32: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 367 comments That blog is like crack not healthy for me. I love how you get snippets or Currans POV.

BTW I loved the short story!

message 33: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 179 comments I always miss the damn snippets! Makes me ill when I do!

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 113 comments Dawn wrote: "That blog is like crack not healthy for me..."

I know... Their recent move left them away for too long. LOL

message 35: by Tina (new)

Tina | 21 comments Read the novella in Must Love Hellhounds (Includes Guild Hunters, #1.5; Kate Daniels, #3.5; The Guardians, #9) by Charlaine Harris . It was awesome. I'm a fan of Rafael, now I'm even a bigger fan!

message 36: by Tina (new)

Tina | 21 comments Dawn ... wasn't there a snippet somewhere, where she makes the apple pie for him and he never shows up. Looks like he doesn't eat the pie with Persophone's apples.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 113 comments Not Dawn, but I'll jump in. He steals pie from her fridge as proof that he can get in without her knowing. It's the dinner that he won the bet for at the end of Magic Strikes that he fails to show up for - we learned this when they gave us the snippet from Magic Bleeds

message 38: by Tina (new)

Tina | 21 comments Yeah but the Persaphone apples don't happen until after Magic Strikes. She then makes the meal for him that he skips out on. Therefore, he doesn't eat those apples. That was what I was referring to. Not the previous pie. Luv this series!

message 39: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 367 comments It is actually in the first chapter of Magic Bleeds, I would suggest that you do not read it...just torments you.

There was another snippet where Curran and Kate are about to fight and Jim has to break them up. So of course I wonder is this in response to Kate feeling a little broken-hearted?

How much longer before May??

message 40: by Tina (new)

Tina | 21 comments A very long time until May and these snippets only make it worse, LOL.

message 41: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 179 comments ::whinging and grumbling::

Freaking months. Why must they move so slowly...

message 42: by Mrs. (new)

Mrs. Badass (mrsbadass) | 20 comments SOON!!! SOON!!!

It is worth the wait I promise!!!

message 43: by Mrs. (new)

Mrs. Badass (mrsbadass) | 20 comments Barnes and Noble is shipping early.... hold out if you can, but if you can't....

The book is fantastic :D

message 44: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (crys25) | 90 comments Well, I didn't win a copy of the book at Ilona's website-sooo I will do what another poster suggested. I will buy one copy now, cause I'm an instant gratification kinda girl, then buy another after the official release date and donate it to my library. I forget who suggested it-but it's a great idea!

message 45: by Shannon (new)

Shannon C. | 22 comments I just bought Magic Bleeds earlier today at Books a Million and read it straight through. They just got them in early, if you want to try calling your local BAM. It was a GREAT read! I did a review (no spoilers) on it if you want to check it out. :)

**spoilers below--only read after reading book**

After reading Magic Bleeds, where do you think the next book will be going? I thought this book raised some questions that I assume will be addressed in future books...

Saiman said he saw hundreds of words written in dark ink on Kate's skin. This wasn't explained, and I wonder what it will mean.

Local head of the vampires Nataraj gave order to Ghastek to call Kate in to help investigate. She was concerned because they never call for help and seemed to be up to something. That was never really explained. Why are the vampires getting more involved with her? Did Nataraj hear about what happened with the sword? Does he suspect who she really is?

There were hints that an old enemy will reappear--Hugh d'Ambray (Warlord of Roland's armies and Kate's stepfather Voron the Raven's best student)...I'm guessing he'll be the bad guy in the next book.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 113 comments LOL, I'm so not reading below that spoiler line, but I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it so much. I can't wait for my copy to arrive - I've read the last snippet a few times already. =)

message 47: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (crys25) | 90 comments I was a good girl too, and didn't read below the spoiler line.

message 48: by Ria Lize (new)

Ria Lize (rialize) | 3 comments la la la~ didn't read spoiler. ^_^

Glad to hear Magic Bleeds was worth the wait. Can't wait to devour it. Am jealous of those lucky people who received early copies.

message 49: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (crys25) | 90 comments I should have it by tomorrow!!!!!!

message 50: by Mariel (new)

Mariel (fuchsiagroan) I cannot wait for Tuesday. Kate Daniels is my favorite series after Mercy Thompson.

« previous 1