Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives - '09 - '10 > March AOM Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kelley Anne (last edited Mar 18, 2010 03:06PM) (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments We're going to do an Author of the Month challenge again for March. The challenge is to read (either for the first time or as a re-read) one book by the author that we are spotlighting each month.

For March, to complete the challenge you need to read one book by Nalini Singh. Of course, if you want to read more than one, that's great too!

In this thread, please post which book you are planning on reading, and then when you are done with it, let us know how it was!

If you have any questions about this, please let Jess or I know! Have fun reading!

This is a list of the paranormal books that Nalini Singh currently has published:

Angels' Blood
Archangel's Kiss
Slave to Sensation
Visions of Heat
Caressed By Ice
Mine to Possess
Hostage to Pleasure
Branded by Fire
Blaze of Memory

Angels' Blood (Guild Hunters, #1) by Nalini Singh Archangel's Kiss (Guild Hunter, #2) by Nalini Singh Slave to Sensation (Psy-Changeling, #1) by Nalini Singh Visions of Heat (Psy-Changeling, #2) by Nalini Singh Caressed By Ice (Psy-Changeling, #3) by Nalini Singh Mine to Possess (Psy-Changeling, #4) by Nalini Singh Hostage to Pleasure (Psy-Changeling, #5) by Nalini Singh Branded by Fire (Psy-Changeling, #6) by Nalini Singh Blaze of Memory (Psy-Changeling, #7) by Nalini Singh

CURRENT PARTICIPANTS
Amy of "Ames" - COMPLETED Congrats!
Carolyn F.
Cherra
Chrissy315
Darcy - COMPLETED Congrats!
DarkHeart "Vehngeance" - COMPLETED Congrats!
Dawn
Jess - COMPLETED Congrats!
Jessica
Kelley Anne - COMPLETED Congrats!
Nichole - COMPLETED Congrats!
Rebekah - COMPLETED Congrats!
Sandra - COMPLETED Congrats!
Sarah ~Sehrenity~ - COMPLETED Congrats!

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) Since I nominated Nalini Singh I feel like I should really participate. :)

I will try to read Hostage to Pleasure and Angel's Blood.

message 3: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I've read all of these books, multiple times, but maybe I'll re-read one again :)

message 4: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Which series should I start with? Opinions? I've never read either one!

message 5: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3119 comments I think the Psy/Changling series is the better one, but if you haven't read any and want to get caught up fast on a series then the angel series would be the way to go.

message 6: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I enjoy them both... don't make me pick which one is better!!!

message 7: by Chrissy315 (new)

Chrissy315 Jones | 17 comments I have never read anything by this author. But I had read a lot of good things about her books. I just bought Slave to Sensation. So I'll read this one.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

For PNR, read the Psy-Changeling books starting with Slave to Sensation.
For UF, read the Guild Hunter starting with Angels' Blood.
I personally prefer the Guild Hunter books.

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 237 comments I've read the Guild Hunter books (LOVED Angels' Blood) but not the others so I'm going to read Slave to Sensation in March.

message 10: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3119 comments Can I upset the boat here and read Angels' Pawn? It is an e-story In the Guild Hunter books. I have read all the others and could do a re-read, but if there is something new that is even better.

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 237 comments Oh yes, that's a very good short story, Darcy. Janvier is HOT! It ties in with Angel's Blood and gives you Ashwini's background.

message 12: by Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (last edited Feb 28, 2010 07:22AM) (new)

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 237 comments Oh and there's a short story in Must Love Hellhounds called Angels' Judgement. It's about how Deacon and Sara get together and her rise to director of the guild hunters.

message 13: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3119 comments Amy or "Ames" wrote: "Oh and there's a short story in Must Love Hellhounds called Angels' Judgement. It's about how Deacon and Sara get together and her rise to director of the guild hunters."

I read that one too and really liked that one.

message 14: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3119 comments There is also a short story in the Psy/Changeling world in An Enchanted Season. This was how I first heard about this series and a great introduction as it has Nate and Tammy and Lucas is a boy.

message 15: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4413 comments I've read them all too, except for Blaze of Memory, but I feel like a re-read and will go with Slave to Sensation.

I certainly couldn't pick either series over the other, either. Love them all.

message 16: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I think that I am just going to have to pick by whichever book I can get my hands on first!

message 17: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 536 comments I'm going to have to find a book on my shelf. Can I read an anthology with one of her short stories in it?

message 18: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Carolyn - I think so, but I'll check with Jess and see what she thinks.

Also, I'm going to add something to the challenge this month. Up in the start of the thread, I'm going to list everyone that's participating in the challenge, and then I'll update it as people finish reading!

message 19: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4044 comments I am in and will read Angels Blood

message 20: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Just a follow up on the question about reading one of her short stories. Jess and I agree. Yes, that counts!

message 21: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 536 comments Thanks!

Sarah ~Sehrenity~ | 766 comments I'll do Archangel's Kiss.

message 24: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Bair-Epps Count me in!

message 25: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Sounds great! I'm excited to see what everyone thinks? Am I the only one that this will be my first book to read by Nalini Singh? Are you already fans?

message 26: by Purple (last edited Mar 02, 2010 03:34AM) (new)

Purple (purpletan) | 14 comments I've read them all and my favorite is that of Dorian and Ashaya, Hostage to Pleasure. The series is like BDB with a different breed, instead of vampires you have shifters. After you read this series, I'm betting you'll have your on set of favorites. =D

As for the Guild hunters series, the first book Angels' Blood is unforgettable, just like the 5 stars says, it was indeed amazing. Can't say much without spoiling it. The second book? Not so much, but you'll have the reader's review for that. That was just my opinion.

I wish to join this challenge except this month, I'm fully booked, (smirking on the irony of that) but still eagerly awaiting for the next installment of both series.

Enjoy!

message 27: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I think I'm in for a re-read of Slave to Sensation. I could always use some more Sascha and Lucas.

message 28: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Bair-Epps Kelly, it will be my first, but I've heard great things about her books.

message 29: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4413 comments I've just finished rereading Slave to Sensation and really enjoyed it. It'd been awhile, and I now want to keep reading the rest of them again. Unfortunately, too many other challenges, but I'll make time to get back into them, soon.

message 30: by Carolyn F. (last edited Mar 05, 2010 10:19AM) (new)

Carolyn F. | 536 comments I'm going to read Must Love Hellhounds which has a short Singh story.

message 31: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (rowen1313) | 29 comments I am currently reading the short story Angel's Pawn then will move on to the rest of the Angel series. I have also put a request in for the Psy-Changeling series from my local library. From all of your reviews, it seemed like they would be of interest to me at least read the first books ing each series to see which one I would enjoy.

message 32: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Sandra - Great job! You're the first to finish the challenge!

message 33: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (rowen1313) | 29 comments I have finished the short story for the Angel's series. It was very cute but uninformative. It did though grab my attention and perked my interest to continue on to Angel's Blood. I will be starting that one tonight.

message 34: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3119 comments I've finished Angels' Pawn. A good story in the Guild Hunter series.

message 35: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4413 comments Yay, me. Really it was no hardship, just love those changelings.

Yay, Rebekah & Darcy.

Rebekah you'll really love Angel's Blood, much better than the short.

message 36: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Great job Rebekah and Darcy!

message 37: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I'm going to begin my re-read tonight. Knowing me I'll end up deciding to go through the whole series lol!

message 38: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I finished my re-read of Slave to Sensation, and I also re-read Visions of Heat. I love both of these books. I think besides these two, my next favorite would be Branded by Fire. Mercy was a hoot!

Sarah ~Sehrenity~ | 766 comments Finished Archangel's Kiss, and I was kind of disappointed. The characters who were so dynamic in Angels' Blood weren't even likeable in this one. All the relationships felt forced and the creep factor was high. If I hadn't known this was Singh's book, I'd never have guessed it. 3 stars.

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) I'm about 50 pages into Hostage to Pleasure. I'm a little bored with the whole blind hatred of entire races theme in PNR, but oh well. You have to get your conflict somewhere. Still waiting for Angels Blood to come in the mail.

message 41: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Sarah ~Sehrenity~ wrote: "Finished Archangel's Kiss, and I was kind of disappointed. The characters who were so dynamic in Angels' Blood weren't even likeable in this one. All the relationships felt forced and the creep fac..."

Yeah I was a little disappointed as well :(

Sarah ~Sehrenity~ | 766 comments I hope the next Guild Hunter is better. If not, I'm just going to read the Psy-Changeling series.

message 43: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I didn't mind the characters as much, but I was just annoyed with the ending. All that build up and then I was left unsatisfied and frustrated. Ha... my mind just went to the gutter.

But anyway... at least we can always rely on the psy-changelings to not disappoint. The last book had me crying my eyes out.

Sarah ~Sehrenity~ | 766 comments ***Archangel's Kiss spoiler***

I agree about the massive buildup and let down, but the characters still bugged me. I know angels are cold, predatory beings in this world, but do they have to be glacial? Everything was so blase. Beijing's gone? Oops. Most of the interactions between key characters felt forced to me, where they didn't in the first book.

I think I was most disgusted when Elena dreamed of Slater feeding her Belle's blood, and she woke up in a panic. Raphael's solution? Let me take your mind off it with hot sex. Really?

message 45: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3119 comments I agree with you all that Archangel's Kiss wasn't as good. I am hoping the next one will be better or I will be dropping this series.

As to the answer of hot sex, isn't that the answer in most romance books, not that this is one, but it seems to be what they come up with a lot of the time. LOL

Too bad real life wasn't like that. :)

message 46: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Yeah that seems to be a common solution in romance/ pnr etc.. Oh we were just about to be killed be a demon, let's have sex.

Or, we're in the middle of being chased by a demon, do you think we have time to stop and have sex.

I just hope that the next book is better, because Angels' Blood was so fantastic, and I thought the series had so much promise.

message 47: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Congrats Jess and Sarah on finishing the challenge.

Now I really need to find 5 minutes to get to the library so that I can get started! I'm determined to finish this challenge by the end of the month, but not doing so great yet!

message 48: by Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (last edited Mar 13, 2010 02:12PM) (new)

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 237 comments I've just finished Slave to Sensation. It was brilliant! The only thing I can criticise is the ending. I thought there would be a big fight with casualties on both sides but it wasn't enough to stop me from giving this 5 stars!

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) Finished Hostage to Pleasure this morning. This is a great series. I'm kind of bored with m/f romance in general so I like that there's plenty of plot outside the romance in these books.
Next up, Angel's Blood!

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 437 comments I finished Slave to Sensation last night and quite enjoyed it. I may get to Angel's Blood before the end of the month.

« previous 1