Start by marking “Angels' Pawn (Guild Hunter #0.6)” as Want to Read:
Angels' Pawn (Guild Hunter #0.6)

Angels' Pawn (Guild Hunter 0.6)

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  6,649 Ratings  ·  322 Reviews
Angels’ Pawn is a stand-alone novella set in the Guild Hunter world. It features the guild hunter, Ashwini, and the vampire, Janvier.
Published March 3rd 2009 by Berkley (first published February 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Angels' Pawn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angels' Pawn

Jo
“Will you tease me this way forever, Ashwini?”

I have loved the feisty Guild Hunter Ashwini and the sexy Cajun vampire Janvier since the first moment they appeared in this series. And this little novella just made me even more desperate to get their full story.

I love the fact that Ashwini is always the hunter that takes the jobs where Janvier needs to be found, and that he always leads her on a merry chase, where right before she catches him, he makes up with whoever hired the Guild to retr

Sharon
WAIT WHAT THAT CAN’T BE IT???

So we get a novella on characters that we are not too familiar with, and I was NOT expecting so much developments, details, backstory, foreshadowing in this 65 page thing. Like I’m so curious and invested now in Ashwini and Janvier’s story.

Fingers crossed that we will get more in the future.

Also, this book has made me properly chilled in some of this angel-vampire politics. Nalini Singh’s storytelling skill is again brilliant, and this is only a novella.

Anyway, I’m
Choko
Sep 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
*** 4 ***

This is a short story about the guild hunter, Ashwini, and the vampire, Janvier. The Angel Overlord of Atlanta gets them involved in some of his games, and I hated that winged bastard with all my heart!!! But the story was short, cool and to the point! We get to know Ashwini very well and I am looking foreword to seeing her around in the full-sized books:):):)

Happy Reading, ya'll!!!
Dina
4 1/2 stars

This short story is an interesting add-on to the Guild Hunter series. It's marketed as a prequel to the series, but I think you should read at least the first book, Angels' Blood, before reading it, or you'll have a hard time understanding the world created by Nalini Singh. As it is, this story isn't complete on its own - and that's the only reason I couldn't give it 5 stars.
Lisa Kay
★★★★ I liked it a lot. These two “frienmies” banter back and forth instead of bicker. Yes, there is a difference. As, Sans, my GRs friend says:
Gimme witty dialogue any day over "I hate you, get away from me, go to hell, let's have sex."
Loved the action. Some romantic suspense authors have the H/h do things separately, and I can see the reason for the logistics sometimes. But as a reader, I want to see them working together, side by side, in the thick of it. That happens here.

As a new-to-me-auth
Lana *Lifeinwordsandlyricscom*
Ashwini and Janvier's relationship was my favourite sidestory from the books, making me curious about how it came to be. These two take the game of cat and mouse to a new level and damn if it isn't sexy! But when push comes to shove, it's Janvier who Ash asks for assistance. Going alone in the den of a sadistic angel is never a good idea, ending up in the middle of a power play between two vampire fractions is also a headache, so having an ace up her sleave (or a sexy Cajun for that matter) is a ...more
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
5 Short Ash+Janvier Stars

*I know the title is Angels' Pawn and not Angel's Pawn but I was too bored to correct it when I saw it.

A short story about the growing romance between a gifted Guild Hunter and a stronger than his age would suggest vampire. It isn't a love story. Not yet. This was more action focused, a short adventure.
Julie (jjmachshev)
Apr 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009-reads, e-read
If you read and liked "Angels' Blood" by Nalini Singh, then "Angels' Pawn" is like an after-dinner mint...a touch of spice with a little heat to round out your meal. If you haven't read "Angels' Blood", then you'll likely just be confused. So far, "Angels' Pawn" is only available as an e-read.

Ashwini, the tormented hunter, approaches Janvier the sexy, Cajun vampire for assistance on a Guild mission to Atlanta. It seems an Archangel has contracted Ashwini's services to retrieve one of his vamps.
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
I’ve read plenty of short stories and now after reading Singh’s novella, Angels’ Pawn has become of my favourites.

This time we get a closer look at Ashwini, Elena’s Guild Hunter colleague. Ash possesses similar characteristics as Elena – She’s smart, tough, and can kick some serious ass. But she also has her own Guild Hunter “talent”, or a curse, in her opinion. She can hear the thoughts and emotions of others through a single touch. A talent that is unique, but debilitating when the person who
Maria Dimitrova
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Guild Hunter Ashwini caught my attention the first time she showed up n the pages of Angel's Blood. I was really curious about this Cajun she keeps on hunting time and again. In this short story I got a chance to both meet this strange vampire and get to know the bizarre even by the Guild standards hunter. Those two are simply hilarious together. They kind of remind me of my all time's favourite fictional couple - Luke and Mara from SW Legends. So I instantly fell in love with them :)

Added
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
A short, but interesting read. It'll be fascinating to see Ashwini and Janvier's relationship develop. Also, Ashwini intrigue me. I wonder what her scars are/is(?)...
Angela
August 2016 re-read.

Angels' Pawn is an introduction to the world that we'll learn more about in Angels' Blood (due out 3/3/2009). A world where angels and vampires not only co-exist, but have an interesting connection. As a Guild Hunter, one of those that hunts rogue vampires down for the angels, Ashwini finds herself suddenly stuck between two vampire factions, and the angel wanting to manipulate them all, in Atlanta. She turns, for help, to Janvier, a vampire himself - who may have his own rea
Ren
Angel's Pawn is prequel of Guild Hunter Series. The event of this novella is happening before Angel's Blood. This one is the story about Ashwini (Ash) a Guild Hunter, and Janvier, a Cajun vampire and Ashwini everlasting "frenemy". But for now, Ash meet Janvier not to play "catch me if you can" like usual, but she need his help to save one of the vampire member, prevent a war and to avoid an angel's wrath...

The usual problem when I read novella...

TOO SHORT!!!

In this novella, we know more about
Lady Heather
 photo ashwini.jpg

Aw... the dance between Aswini (Ashblade, the Hunter) and Janvier (The Cajun, Vampire)
Kathy Davie
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal, romance
This is one of the prelude short stories, 0.6 in the chronology, in the Guild Hunters paranormal romance series and revolving around one of the Hunters, Ashwini, and her sometimes-prey, Janvier. Based in Louisiana.

My Take
"Angels' Pawn" is fun, adventurous, and full of action with quite the twist in how Singh portrays vampires and how she provides insight into the rules that govern Guild Hunter and angel interaction. While the Guild was created to retrieve runaway vampires for the angels, they do
Zeek
Feb 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Ashwini is a Guild Hunter, a human who hunts vampires. In this world, Vamps are made and controlled by Angels and one such Angel is not happy with the powerplay taking place below him.

Ashwini wants no part of the politics surrounding Angels and Vamps but she has no choice when the fierce Archangel Nazarach comes a calling. Now she and her arch nemesis, the Cajun Vamp Janvier- who btw, happens to built like "the sexiest dream she'd ever had"- are contracted to retrieve a kidnapped member of the
Melody

I'm eagerly awaiting Ashwini and Janvier's book because those two really have the potential to form a great couple.
Theresa
I am completely intrigued and fascinated by Ashwini’s character... I want to learn more of her past and her abilities; I definitely want to see how this connection with Janvier evolves... so many questions to be asked and secrets to be unveiled... looking forward to seeing what role this duo plays in the series... 4 Stars:)
Shannon
Feb 12, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: diehard fans of the Guild Hunter series
I didn't really like this ebook. It was confusing and didn't really make me want to read the series. Too many characters were thrown into the mix and not enough explanation was given. You could chalk that up to this only being a 19-page ebook, but I think if you can't write something coherent you shouldn't make it a short story.

I'd suggest not even bothering with it unless you really want to know about Ashwini and Janvier - supposedly Singh is going to revisit their relationship at some point in
SheLove2Read
Mar 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to SheLove2Read by: Keri
Shelves: best-of-2012, 2012
Reread Dec 2012. Positively sinful.

Original review:
'Scuse me while I fan myself!

Someone PLEASE tell me Ashwini and Janvier get their own book!! What can you say about a smokin' hot Cajun vampire and a kick ass female Vampire Hunter except GIMME MORE!

The story itself was vicious and scary and is a world I definitely don't want to live in, especially since it's set in Atlanta - close enough to throw stones at - for me. I do like the authentic feel of the Angels in Singh's world - not the blond, f
Misa
Dec 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone who enjoys paranormal romance
Recommended to Misa by: Patricia Lopes
Esta novela introduz-nos duas personagens, Ashwini, uma caçadora muito misteriosa e completamente passada das ideias, e Janvier, um vampiro cajun que se diverte bastante com Ashwini.
Ashwini é uma caçadora que pertence à guild, tendo por diversas vezes teve “caçado” Janvier, visto este andar constantemente a faltar ao respeito a vários anjos e/ou outras entidades mais importantes. No entanto, Janvier consegue sempre, no último momento, fazer as pazes com o ofendido, tornando o contrato nulo, o q
Apr 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013

I read this story as part of the Angels' Flight anthology which contains 4 Guild Hunter novellas.

If you have read any of the other books you'll probably remember talk of guild hunter Ashwini and her vampire nemesis. Janvier has a very bad habit of getting himself in trouble with the angels and doing a disappearing act which means the guild are called in to track him down. Ash has spent years chasing him across the world and through the bayou only for him to always make his peace with th
Vicky (the Blowtorch-Wielding OotCDCB™)
This short novella set in the Guild Hunter world introduces us to Ashwini, a tough hunter who had my heart from the get-go, and a certain sexy, raw, earthy Cajun vampire. Oh, hello there Janvier...

I absolutely loooove them! They are both so wild and they flirt like crazy :D. Plus, their endless banter never fails to amuse me and make me smile.

“Pretend I’m holding a rifle. In fact, pretend I have you in the crosshairs.”

Janvier sighed, rubbing at a jaw shadowed by morning stubble. “I love it when
Tara♥
1st read - 2014
2nd reads - 5 February 2017

__________________

So this is 0.6 in the series and it can totally be read before all the rest of the books but my personal recommendation would be saving this until just before you read Archangel's Shadows as it's a nice lead in even though they take place years apart.

This felt less about plot and more about the strange and wonderful relationship development between Ashwini and Janvier, both have their own stories to tell but this really highlighted the
Beate
Mar 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
So good. So very, very, VERY good. Makes me want to put any other book I've planned to read on hold, and just throw myself into the next one in this series.

Merciless Angels. Vampires having been turned by Angels. Hunters who hunt Vampires and brings them to Angels. Sexy Vampires. Scary Angels. Intrigue. Drama. This novella had it all! I want to be able to write like this. I want to be able to spin stories this unique. This one really made me sigh happily. :D
Nareh
Janvier and Ashwini, what can I say other than I love them both? Janvier is a dangerous predator who uses his charm to great affect and Ashwini is a Guild Hunter with no patience for any prevarication. Janvier and Ashwini dance around each other and yet their romance will be legendary. This was an amazing novella that shows a little more about their relationship and sets up their book wonderfully.
Heather C
I read this in preparation for Angels' Blood. I thought it was ok, but it had too much going on and too many characters for a novella. The majority of the time I didn't have a clue what was happening or what any of it meant.

I liked the romantic tension between the two main characters (sorry, but I can't pronounce, spell, or remember either of their names). Unfortunately it was left open ended, also.
Cristina Buzoianu
Jan 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-paranormal
This was odd. Good odd though. Too short, for sure, but it's a novella and I expected that. On to the next one.
Jackie Sigerson
Gina
Jun 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal
Ashwini and Janvier, I liked these two.
Read Angel's Blood first! 6 39 Oct 24, 2013 04:08AM
  • Must Love Hellhounds (Sookie Stackhouse #9.2; Guild Hunter #0.5; Kate Daniels #3.5; The Guardians #5.5)
  • Burning Up (Children of the Sea #3.5; Psy-Changeling #0.6; Iron Seas #0.5)
  • Angels Of Darkness (Alphas, #0.5; Guild Hunter, #3.5; The Guardians, #7.5; Samaria)
  • An Enchanted Season (Psy-Changeling #0.5; Murphy Sisters #1)
  • Demon Blood (The Guardians, #6)
  • The Magical Christmas Cat (Breeds, #12.5; Feline Breeds, #11; Murphy Sisters, #2; Psy-Changeling, #3.5)
  • Magic Bites - Fernando's (Curran POV #2)
  • Hunter's Season (Elder Races, #4.7)
  • Overkill: Snippets of Demonica Life (Demonica #5.7)
I've been writing as long as I can remember and all of my stories always held a thread of romance (even when I was writing about a prince who could shoot lasers out of his eyes). I love creating unique characters, love giving them happy endings and I even love the voices in my head. There's no other job I would rather be doing. In September 2002, when I got the call that Silhouette Desire wanted t ...more
More about Nalini Singh

Guild Hunter (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Angels' Blood (Guild Hunter, #1)
  • Archangel's Kiss (Guild Hunter, #2)
  • Archangel's Consort (Guild Hunter, #3)
  • Archangel's Blade (Guild Hunter, #4)
  • Archangel's Storm (Guild Hunter, #5)
  • Archangel's Legion (Guild Hunter, #6)
  • Archangel's Shadows (Guild Hunter, #7)
  • Archangel's Enigma (Guild Hunter, #8)
  • Archangel's Heart (Guild Hunter, #9)
  • Archangel's Viper (Guild Hunter, #10)

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Heat Wave
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Pleasures (Pleasures, #2)
  • Hello Love
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Be Mine Tonight  (Brotherhood of Blood, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • A Darker Dream
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
  • Emergency Contact
    $10.99 $3.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Rock Me (Ross Siblings Book 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be
  • Love, Chloe
    $3.99 $1.99
“I want no blood from you--not until we're both sweaty and naked and you're screaming my name.” 60 likes
“Stay with me. I’ll show you things that’ll make you laugh in delight, scream in passion, cry for the sheer joy of it.” 44 likes