Start by marking “Slave to Sensation (Psy-Changeling, #1)” as Want to Read:
Slave to Sensation (Psy-Changeling, #1)

Slave to Sensation

(Psy-Changeling #1)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  52,878 Ratings  ·  3,283 Reviews
an alternate cover edition can be found here

THE HOT NEW NAME IN PARANORMAL ROMANCE. Nalini Singh dives into a world torn apart by a powerful race with phenomenal powers of the mind-and none of the heart. Born a Psy, Sascha Duncan must hide the emotions which mark her as flawed. But a passionate Changeling will tempt her to reveal everything-and risk her very soul.
Published 2010 by Gollancz (first published September 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Slave to Sensation, please sign up.
Brit Ok so this is a huge list - but I promise all the books listed really great or at least very good if not great)

Elder Races - Thea Harrison (The MOST…more

Elder Races - Thea Harrison (The MOST similar to psy-changeling series in my opinion...)
Immortals After Dark by Kresley Cole is a close second...although some of the books beat psy-changeling books in my opinion (same with Elder Races)...also the novellas for Thea Harrison are seriously amazing, just like psy-changeling novellas are great. (Also, this series is great in audio)

Kingmaker - Amanda Bouchet

K.f. Breene - ALL her books but in order from favorite to (still great but..)less favorite - Fire and Ice, Darkness, Fate of Perfection, Warrior Chronicles... but really all these are FUN reads! And the first 3 series listed are not only cool PNR but funny too!

Burn in You- suzanne Collins (more interesting and likeable characters than Phoenix pack series by the same author...plus great romance and really funny)

Kate Daniels - Ilona Andrews

Poison Study(and spin off series) - Maria V. Snyder - LOVE LOVE! (Also this is a great series to listen to on audio)

Graceling series - Kristen Cashore - highly recommend!

Court of Thorns and Roses - Sarah J Maas (AMAZING book 2 and 3, and better than Throne of Glass series, which I highly recommend also)

Walker Saga - Jaymin Eve (really interesting world, and like this series each book has new main characters)

Charley Davidson - Darynda Jones (Awesome series with so many LOL moments)

Seven Realms - Cinda Williams Chima (OMG you will love this series!)
OMG how could I forget - Immortals after Dark is AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME! Definitely start with "A war lord wants forever, I think its listed as .5) (Also, this series is great in audio)

Fae Chronicles - Amelia Hutchins ( really really recommend this series, LOL moments, fun world, no annoying characters...just really great.

Ollie Witt - Donna Augustine (only 1 book out but a good start to a series that I am sure will be great)

Pride - Shelley Laurensten (the world and characters are more fun than serious and definitely LOL moments here and there)

Bargainer - Laura Thalassa (1 book out so far but the second book to be released soon) - This is also a top pick..

Dragons of Bloodfire - Erin Kellison (I loved book 1 and enjoyed book 2, I am not sure why it isn't more popular but, in my opinion I really liked it, and if you have read through the suggestions thus far and agree with me about the ones you have read, then I say...trust me and not the mixed review for this series)

The Remnant Chronicles - Mary Pearson (This series was amazeballs! AND the series is complete so you can read it straight through without waiting for the next in the series to be released.)

An Ember in the Ashes - Sabaa Tahir (GREAT start to a series)

Vampire Academy - another series that is complete.

Starbound and Illuminae Files - Amie Kaufman (more sci-fi than paranormal but definitely good reads)Nightwalker - Jacquelyn Frank (I loved this series, but World of Nightwalker series is really bad! and her stand alones aren't great either. but THIS series I highly recommend. AND the series is complete - so no waiting)

Both C.L Wilson series - Tairen Soul series is complete. Weathermages series book 1 was really good, but the second book is seriously taking forever, which is really annoying...
And just some other series to check into -

Seven - Dannika Dark

Immortal Guardians and The Gifted Ones - Dianne Duvall

Black Daggar Brotherhood - alot of people LOVE this series but I think its good, not great)

Lords of Underworld - Gena Showalter

Kricket - Amy Bartel (series complete)

The Black Mage - Rachel E. Carter (series complete and book 1 is so much less than the rest of the series, so if you start this series and are unsure if you want to continue, DO continue because the rest of the series gets better with every book).

Blood Destiny - Helen Harper

Fever - Karen Marie Moning

Merry Gentry - Laurell K Hamilton - VERY graphic sex and erotica (just warning you)

A few standalones -
Firebird - Susanna Kearsley(the audiobook is AMAZING - irish accents!!)
Anything by Marissa Meyer!!
The Duke of Shadows - Meredith Duran - some really memorable moments and a sweet romance

Ok these are NOT PNR but still HIGHLY RECOMMENDED -

Maiden Lane - Elizabeth Hoyt (books 3 on are my favorites, you dont necessarily need to read in order)

Neighbors from Hell - Hilarious series and the book that is the 1 historical romance (the original family) is so so funny with the sweetest romance and ending!

I hope I have given you many choices that you have not already read! Please let me know your opinion on my suggestions!(less)
M.L. Sparrow In my opinion, the first few books could act as stand-alones though you won't get the full effect, however, the story line gets more complex as it…moreIn my opinion, the first few books could act as stand-alones though you won't get the full effect, however, the story line gets more complex as it goes on so you probably should read them all in order. I absolutely love this series and would definitely recommend it! (less)

Kat Kennedy
This is a romance novel. If you're unfamiliar with the romance formula then I'm about to spoil every single romance novel ever:

They all end on a deliriously happy note with an abundance of perfection.

So whilst I won't discuss the actual end to this book, I don't think I really will be spoiling everything if I discuss the TYPE of end this book has and why it means that I just wasn't really meant for the romance genre.

There was a lot to enjoy about this book. For starters, considering it is billed
Val Shameless ⚓️ Steamy Reads ⚓️
***Updated for book 16***

This is the kick starter for one of my FAVORITE UF/PNR series of all time.

ALL.

FUCKING.

TIME, people.

If you love paranormal romance and/or urban fantasy, look no further than this series.

Look no further than Nalini Singh.

Her writing is flawless.
Her world building is incredible.
And her characters and story lines are in a league of their own.

LOLZ.

See what I did there?

Side note: I actually have a love/hate relationship with this movie. When you played softball for 16+ ye
Kristen
5...HUGE...GIGANTIC...IMMENSE...
STARS!

WOW! WOW! WOW!
I honestly don't know what to say about this book that hasn't already been said numerous times other than it's easily become my FAVORITE paranormal romance thus far. There wasn't a single thing about this story that I didn't absolutely and completely love.

I won't go into detail about the plot, the characters, or the writing; there are plenty of fantastic reviews already written that fully express my feelings, thoughts, and sentiments about th
Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
4 Feels for the first time stars

Slave to Sensation is my first book by Nalini Singh and I really enjoyed it. I know I have had this baby on my kindle for a few years now and I sit here and wonder why I waited so long to start this series. I loved the whole world set up. The Psy being all mind with great psychic powers, and no feelings , the Changelings being shifters that feel greatly, and of course the boring humans. I do wish there would have been a bit more paranormal world development as I
Dd
Jul 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites

A short conversation between me and my conscience-

Dd...Dd......

Hmmm????

DD!!!!DDDDDDDDD....

WHAT??

Oh God.Stop reading Visions of Heat for a second.Shouldn't you be writing a review for this book, instead of starting with the next one immediately?

All right!!!

Readers, this is one of the best PNR I have ever read.Excellent writing.Excellent characters.And a world in which you'll lose yourself.If there is anyone who has not yet read it, please do it ASAP!

There.Happy?

Huh.Fine, just do not forget that
Blacky *Romance Addict*
This book goes to one of the best pnr's I've ever read. The writing is phenomenal, so great that I knew just with the first book that I'll be reading all the others :)

I first heard of this series a few months ago, and my reaction was like this: O.o Psychic people devoid of emotions and shape-shifters as couples Photobucket . I decided I definitely wasn't going to read something like that.
I was VERY, very, very, very stupid. Photobucket Photobucket

The story very much remindes me of the movie "Equilibrium", in which the hero l
Maya
description

So... I've heard a lot of good things about this series and since I'm already a big fan of this author's Guild Hunter series, I knew there would come a time to read this series. BUT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, WHY DID NOBODY TELL ME IT WAS THIS FREAKING GOOD SOONER!!! It's what I've been waiting my whole life for! And now I've finally found it! Thank you, Nalini! THANK YOU!!!

description

Annnnd on to the next book it is!!!

Sophia Triad
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shifters, leopards
Sascha Duncan (Psy) and Lucas Hunter (Changeling)

This was about murder… and the greatest lie that had ever been perpetuated by a race upon its own kind.

This book is an impressive start to a series that I have a feeling that it will become one of my favourite PNR series.

Psy-world is an interesting different new world. I haven't read anything similar before to be honest. The Psy have great psychic powers, but not feelings or desires.
They basically live in two worlds:
1. The real world which also
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
I'm not usually a fan of romance and I'm pretty new to PNR so I didn't really know what to expect from this book. I've had the whole series on my Kindle for some time but wasn't planning on reading it until Sarah and Angela ganged up on me. Ah, good old peer pressure never fails! So I decided to give the series a try despite the cheesy titles and ridiculous book covers. Well, I have to say, thank you so much ladies because this was fun!

I expected silly romance but what did I get? Complex, well t
Beatriz
La novela empezó requete bien. Me tenía atrapada el universo que creó la autora, con estas razas que conviven con los humanos y me gustó como las introdujo, ya que a las pocas páginas era muy fácil entender las características e intereses de cada uno, y cómo lo anterior se transformaba en juegos de poder. También me tenía muy interesada y expectante la relación que comenzaba a desarrollarse con la pareja que protagoniza la historia.

Peeero, avanzando un poco más, la narración se vuelve bastante r
Choko
Aug 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*** 3.66 ***

A buddy read with the Paranormal Romance friends at BB&B!

The world is divided. It is populated by Psy and Changelings, and human races, all different in their ways of life, mores and codes, things they hold dear. We learn nothing about the humans here, unfortunately. The Psy have been bread out of emotions, which are considered as weaknesses and flaws, a hurdle keeping them away from perfection. The Psy hold power by "linking" into a network of all Psy individual minds, feeding
Navessa
There are various reasons that I can’t rate this book fairly. You see, there’s too much riding on it. Friendships might be broken, chocolate could be withheld, fisticuffs might ensue. So instead I’ll say this:

If you think that Luke is “yours”, you have another thing coming.

If your name is Joanna, you’ll be pleased to note our friendship isn’t over. Also, your level of crazy far exceeds mine if you have a thing for Enrique.

If your name is FREEBIRD, you may have to choose weapons and seconds to
Karla
Jun 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Karla by: Jayne, Kris and Autumn

5 Stars!!! Fantastic! What took me so long to read this?!?!

Out of all the paranormal creatures, shifters are my favorite, and Slave to Sensation, captured the true nature of these sexy human/beasts!!! RAWRRRRR!! The merging of the unfeeling, emotionless citizens of the Psy community, and the touchy feely, possessive Changeling pack members, made for a very sensual, fascinating, and extremely gratifying read. Amazing world building, memorable characters...that got under my skin, terrific dialogu
Shawna
4 -5 stars – Paranormal Romance

Since I’m a little late jumping on the Psy-Changeling series fan bandwagon, there probably isn’t much to add that hasn’t already been said about this fantastic series. Slave to Sensation is a fabulous debut that sets the foundation for the war between the emotionless, cold, psychically powerful Psy race and the Changelings in the year 2079.

In a world where the Psy have enforced a mandatory code of Silence that denies and prohibits all emotion, Psy member Sascha Dun
 Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~*
(Edited to add further thoughts.)

5 Stars - Also reviewed at: Lady Jayne's Reading Den

The ragged breath,
Cerebral death;
Who thought such bliss,
In just one kiss?
Now, his changeling touch, she craves,
Has sh
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

Well I think the Psy's are jerks. Except for Sascha and a few others!

Anyway, Psy's are made to feel no emotion, void, nothing, zip, zilch. But . . . Sascha has feelings and if they find out she is "broken" they will rehabilitate her or kill her. REALLY?

Because I'm broken. And the Psy don't allow borken creatures to live.

The Changelings are the shifters and they are cool and then there are humans but they don't take on a big role in the book.

Sascha is sent by her mom who is on the Psy Council
Emily May
Mar 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: pnr, 2011
This book receives so many rave reviews that I guess I was just expecting a bit of something more. In fact, I was fully convinced before I started that I would probably give this book a 4 star rating, it just shows that I should stop making predictions - I'm usually wrong. I will say that I liked it enough to take a curious look into the rest of the series, it's not as if they're particularly difficult to read so I don't mind as much suffering through them.

The thing about this novel was that I
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Boy, I am so glad that I had read one of Nalini Singh's Silhouette Desire novels, and was searching for some more paranormal romances to read and finally picked this one up by her. I kicked myself for having waited so long. I loved this book. Lucas is to die for. He's totally yum. I loved the combination of paranormal with science fiction. I typically find science fiction a little bit dry at times, since I am more of a fantasy person. But there is a perfect mix of science fiction and paranormal ...more
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
It's been a little over a year since I read this the first time. I wasn't really impressed, but I just finished the Guild Hunter series (LOVED it), so I decided to give Singh's other series another shot.

I'm glad I did.

I might have been in a reading slump the last time I read Slave to Sensation, or maybe I just couldn't get past the cheesy (and let's be real--it is cheesy) title and book cover. Whatever it was, second time was the (a?) charm.

Sascha is a Psy. That means she's been trained to be a
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

4.5 Holy Hot Shifters stars!

Slave to Sensation is the first book in Nalini Singh’s wildly popular Psy-Changling series. This world she’s created is exciting, passionate, poignant… it’s like none I’ve ever read before.

Description…
Dive into a world torn apart by a powerful race with phenomenal powers of the mind—and none of the heart…

In a world that denies emotions, where the ruling Psy punish any sign of desire, Sascha Duncan must conceal the feelings that brand her as flawed. To reveal them woul
Jilly
The cover of this book? The name of this book? I was like no-way-Jose. But, then Jose said to me, "jilly, stop being a snob. Your friends all loved this book for a reason. Now, go read it." That Jose is so freaking smart.

and a cheerful mofo too!

Anyhoo, the world-building in this book is fun. We have humans (boooring), Changelings (shapeshifters), and people called "Psy's" who are psychically gifted and connected to each other through a network in their brains. The Psy race undergoes a treatment
Dija
*Buddy read with Sarah. You can read her review here.*

What I expected:
1. Lust at first sight leading to lots of sexy times that magically develop into love overnight.
2. A boring plot.
3. A lickable likable yet cliched hero.
4. A nice but entirely forgettable heroine.
5. A hundred eyeroll-worthy and puke-inducing moments.

What I got:
1. A beautiful romance that slowly develops (emphasis on slowly) into true love on the basis of friendship, understanding, communication, respect, and a healthy dose o
Kate's Corner
5 Unfortunately I can’t give it more as Goodreads won’t let me Stars.

When you read a lot of pnr/uf you need something that stands out of the mass otherwise you think that you are reading the same things. Finding something as exceptional, unique and remarkable as what I read with a Slave to Sensation is rare.

I worship the ground that Ms. Singh has walked on since the Guild Hunter series. Admittedly I read both a sample of Angel Blood & Slave to Sensation a couple of years ago and I wasn’t im
Felicia
Ok, trash trash trash. And this cover is utterly awful, someone get the Barbie Hookah out of there, the pink smoke kills me! But actually, I really enjoyed this book. This is WAY more romance oriented than I usually read, but I was interested in the characters, the world was interesting with the Psy aspect, sci-fi angle something new (Vulcanish perhaps). Whatever, I read it in one sitting, satistfyingly indulgent! I might read another in the series. Maybe.
valee
Jul 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
There's just not any other book more worth of a re-read than this one! I'm not kidding. OMG, I mean, I had loved it the first time I read it but nothing close as the way I felt about it this second time. I had completely forgot what it was to be so lost in a book that you didn't notice at all the pass of time. I just couldn't put it down, and every time I checked my clock I was so sure only an hour had passed but so much more had... *blushing, seriously, I completely lost track of time. But what ...more
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
5 Wild Stars

This is gonna be short because I have the whole series to re-read to get to the last one.

Why I love this book

1) Lucas is HOT! As an Alpha he is possessive, protective, domineering, caring. All that in just the right measure to be hot and not overbearing.

2) Sascha is so brave. I can't even imagine how hard it must be growing up with secrets that will get you killed when you know that your mind is intimatelly connected to those you're keeping your secrets from.

3) The packs. The packs a
Elizabeth Hunter
It's somewhat mind-boggling to me that I have not reviewed this series here because this is one of my all time favorites. So this review is WAY overdue. I'll review this book and then give you a brief overview of my view on the series, which is something like fourteen books now and I'm still not bored.

Fourteen books. Still not bored. Yes, you read that correctly.

description

First off, like other reviewers have said, ignore the cheesy US cover. It makes this book look like a typical paranormal romance (not t
◊♦ Naomi

To be completely honest, I was only going to give 4.5 stars to this one but that was before I read the two short stories, “The Cannibal Princess” and “The Shower”. I think Nalini should have included these short stories at the end of Slave to Sensation, as a part of the epilogue or something, because I found the ending of the book a bit too abrupt and I was a little disappointed. But I've read the two short stories right after Slave to Sensation and, for me, it was still Lucas and Sascha's story
Bark
May 03, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, romance
*Ugh, I am sorry I accidentally bumped this one when I was fixing a typo I spotted. I wish that damn add to my update feed was left unchecked!! Old review alert . . .

I won an unabridged copy of Slave to Sensation over at the All About Romance Blog (thanks!) and “read” it for Lea’s Audiobook column.

I have to say I was expecting a super fantastic read. This is a series that seems to be a favorite of many of my goodreads (and real life) friends but I’m afraid it didn’t quite live up to the amazin
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Oct 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: paranormal romance and science fiction fans
Recommended to Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) by: Suzanne
How Singh can write such complex storylines and characters with such ease and fluidity is beyond me.

First off, I want to talk about her amazing worldbuilding in this series. It’s only the first book but my god, there is so much depth and complexity to the world that Singh has built! Set well into the future, Singh has created a world were humans live among Psy and Changelings.

Out of the two new races, I must say my favourite has to be the Changelings. There is the DarkRiver panther pack and th
Vampires, Weres a...: Slave to Sensation 26 23 Jan 22, 2018 04:29AM
Best Courtship Ever........... 9 121 Oct 14, 2017 04:08AM
Vaginal Fantasy B...: * VFH03: Slave to Sensation Discussion 34 606 Jul 12, 2017 08:06AM
Goodreads Librari...: Psy-Changeling Series connected to wrong author 4 34 Jan 29, 2017 06:06PM
Nalini Singh Fans: Slave to Sensation (#1) 102 227 Sep 05, 2016 11:44AM
  • An Enchanted Season (Psy-Changeling #0.5; Murphy Sisters #1)
  • Burning Up (Children of the Sea #3.5; Psy-Changeling #0.6; Iron Seas #0.5)
  • The Magical Christmas Cat (Breeds, #12.5; Feline Breeds, #11; Murphy Sisters, #2; Psy-Changeling, #3.5)
  • Dragon Bound (Elder Races, #1)
  • The Mane Attraction (Pride, #3)
  • No Rest for the Wicked (Immortals After Dark #3)
  • Ecstasy Unveiled (Demonica #4)
  • About a Dragon (Dragon Kin, #2)
I've been writing as long as I can remember and all of my stories always held a thread of romance (even when I was writing about a prince who could shoot lasers out of his eyes). I love creating unique characters, love giving them happy endings and I even love the voices in my head. There's no other job I would rather be doing. In September 2002, when I got the call that Silhouette Desire wanted t ...more

Psy-Changeling (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Visions of Heat (Psy-Changeling #2)
  • Caressed by Ice (Psy-Changeling #3)
  • Mine to Possess (Psy-Changeling #4)
  • Hostage to Pleasure (Psy-Changeling, #5)
  • Branded by Fire (Psy-Changeling, #6)
  • Blaze of Memory (Psy-Changeling #7)
  • Bonds of Justice (Psy-Changeling #8)
  • Play of Passion (Psy-Changeling #9)
  • Kiss of Snow (Psy-Changeling #10)
  • Tangle of Need (Psy-Changeling #11)
“Sometimes I remember that I can't always protect those I love." Under his fingers, her hair was soft and silky.

She didn't try to tell him that he wasn't God, that he couldn't protect everyone. He knew that.

But knowing and believing were two different things. What she did say succeeded in stopping his heart. "I wish you'd love me."

"Why?"

"Because then maybe you could protect me, too." Haunting sorrow whispered through her tone.”
162 likes