Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy Addicts discussion

Cassandra Clare
This topic is about Cassandra Clare
Series Discussions > The Mortal Instruments - Cassandra Clare

Comments Showing 1-50 of 90 (90 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by GinBee, Founder & Mod (last edited Feb 25, 2010 02:48PM) (new)

GinBee (jennymbee) | 4468 comments Mod
City of Bones (Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare City of Ashes (Mortal Instruments, #2) by Cassandra Clare City of Glass (Mortal Instruments, #3) by Cassandra Clare

message 2: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melobrien) I have all these books! I love them! And it is rare that I buy books (seeing as we are poor collage students) so I only buy book I really LOVE and know that I will read again and again. I did get a little weirded out about the relationship between Clary and Jace at first.

message 3: by Susan (Suz) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) I have the first two in my stack at home, but haven't gotten to them yet....

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (animallover07) I have read the first one it was GREAT i cant wait to read the next two. I have them just got to read them.

message 5: by Lacy (new)

Lacy (lacy_stewart) Great series! I'm looking forward to City of Fallen Angels coming out in April. City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments, #4) by Cassandra Clare My 18 year old daughter loves this series also.

message 6: by Wildcat-Mimi (new)

Wildcat-Mimi | 6 comments i am currently reading book 2 city of ashes.. it is sooo good. The relationship between Jace and Clary is what makes the books soo good.. but bad ::sinister laugh:: i cannot put this book down..

message 7: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 1 comments I got all 3 of the books on my ereader and am rereading them to get back into the story line. They are going to be my first books read on the ereader even though I've had it for a couple of months. I can't wait for the next one to come out I'm already on the waiting list at the library.

message 8: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashniss) I am reading City of Glass now. I wish I could read faster bc I love it so much and want to know what happens!

Stephanie (Bookfever) (bookfever) I love this series! Can't wait for City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments, #4) by Cassandra Clare !
I also really loved Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1) by Cassandra Clare :D

message 10: by Shellbelle (new)

Shellbelle Lacy wrote: "Great series! I'm looking forward to City of Fallen Angels coming out in April. City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments, #4) by Cassandra Clare My 18 year old daughter loves this series also."

I'm with you! I can't wait until April 5th! This series is amazing, and I can't wait to see what will happen next :)

message 11: by Jess (new)

Jess (otherstories) I love these books! I can't wait for City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments, #4) by Cassandra Clare so exciting!

message 12: by Jillian (new)

Jillian (jzmick) Great series! Love the characters. Defiitely recommend this series...and the Clockwork Angel spin-off...

message 13: by Emily (new)

Emily | 13 comments I absolutely love this series. I am like in love with Jace. I think some dark fantasy books rely too much on the plot, but these books have complex plot and beautiful writting, everytime i read them (and that's a lot) I am blown away by the sophistication of the writing and relationship between Jace and Clary. They are the only pair that I think ever have I really wanted them to be together. In the first book at the end, I threw the book across the room, and in the last one. I recommened this book to anyone who loves romance, dark fantasy and a great thrilling read.

Fangs for the Fantasy | 13 comments This series had problems from start to finish. Alec and Magnus did nothing but reinforce gay stereotypes from the beginning. If that were not enough Clare actually had the nerve to have people fighting in saris. Hey why bother to develop characters as colour when you can just add a drive by sari warrior.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments City of Lost Souls is up for one of Mays reads!!

****Use Spoiler tags!!***

message 16: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Saying ''I'm in love with Mortal Instruments'' is in my case, completly not enough. I'm CRAZY about Mortal Instruments. I adore Jace- he's... he's... I don't even have words to describe him- I love Isabelle, Magnus and Alec are so funny, Clary is ok . This series has only one problem- and it's name is Simon. Brr. I really HATE characters like '' her-best-friend-in-love-with-her''. They're making me shiver.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Natalie wrote: "Saying ''I'm in love with Mortal Instruments'' is in my case, completly not enough. I'm CRAZY about Mortal Instruments. I adore Jace- he's... he's... I don't even have words to describe him- I lov..."

I don't think there will ever truly be any words that can capture his essence. ^_-

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments For December 2012 we will be starting our first YA series read! Starting with The City of Bones.

Was this worth all the buzz that's out there? Or if you're re-reading it, was it just as good as you remembered it?

Spoilers
Remember to utilize the (view spoiler) tags so that you don't spoil anything for any other readers. Check out the "some html is ok" options on goodreads for details or ask! We've even got a special thread for more details.

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare

message 19: by Mika Mckeena (new)

Mika Mckeena (mikamckeena) | 6 comments I would read it again

message 20: by Jillean (new)

Jillean Wallace I loved this book. I think I'm ready for the fourth book.

message 21: by Think (new)

Think Oh wow! The Mortal Instruments series is amazing! I have all of them so far!

message 22: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 198 comments I have started this one also.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments It really is fun. I just remember getting to the end and my head exploding!!

message 24: by Jazmin (new)

Jazmin Rivas (jazminrivas24) | 2 comments I love the mortal instruments series!! I can't wait for the final book

message 25: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 9 comments I own the first three, have yet to read the fourth.

message 26: by Tohrutohno (new)

Tohrutohno | 122 comments I own and have read the first three, I loved them. Word on the street though is that they are being made into a movie next year (well the first one is to start off). So if you want to read before it comes out, read quickly!

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments The trialers already out, it's really good.

message 28: by Timothy (new)

Timothy (jeditimothy) | 240 comments Saw the trailer during breaking dawn 2 I was wondering if there is a reading order for this series preqlues included if any as well spin offs?

message 29: by Ceri (new)

Ceri (ladycarrington) Am i the only one who didnt like this book?

message 30: by Janey (new)

Janey | 14 comments I recently read City of Bones and really enjoyed it. Watched the trailer afterwards and the film looks good. Can't wait to read the next book in the series.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments You're not alone Ceri. Personally I loved it, but I know a number of readers who are underwhelmed by it.

And I can see where they are coming from.

I'm curoius what were some of the sticky points for you Ceri?

message 32: by Ceri (new)

Ceri (ladycarrington) Shera (Book Whispers) wrote: "You're not alone Ceri. Personally I loved it, but I know a number of readers who are underwhelmed by it.

And I can see where they are coming from.

I'm curoius what were some of the sticky points ..."

There were many reasons why i hated the book Shera. I had read Clockwork Angel and thought the book was ok and because of all the buzz around the Mortal Instruments i thought i would give it a go. To be fair i didnt think it was my type of book, i enjoy romance and this book didnt contain any, i enjoy books focused more about the character, but this book was more focused on action. I thought the plot was careless and no sense of direction, seems like there were parts just thrown in which provided nothing or added any substance. It was barely desciptive and lacked feeling and emotion. I was so bored and kept putting the book to one side to read another book, it took me 3 months to read and i had finished reading 11 books inbetween. I love reading young adult and paranormal but this was nothing like anything i read before and i wouldnt want to read anything like it again. Overall Shera, i think it was just the entire book and how it was written, not just a few sticky points. Cassandra Clare isnt for me.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

I am another underwhelmed reader of MI. i had read loads of fantastic quotes on FB groups, mostly from Jace and was expecting to love it but it just didn't grip me. I didn't enjoy the Jace/Clary dynamic, maybe I'm too much of a romance reader at heart. And the other characters didn't grip me. So I haven't read any of the others. I will admit the trailer for the movie looked great though I'm not sure on the casting for Jace.

message 34: by Ceri (new)

Ceri (ladycarrington) S.J. wrote: "I am another underwhelmed reader of MI. i had read loads of fantastic quotes on FB groups, mostly from Jace and was expecting to love it but it just didn't grip me. I didn't enjoy the Jace/Clary dy..."

Yes likewise, although i didnt enjoy the book i still would like to see the movie. I dont have high hopes for the movie as the director isnt someone i am familiar with so im not expecting it to be any good.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Ceri, that's good food for thought.

The book is a huge world wind of events and some of it doesn't seem important. (Though I do think quite a bit of it comes up later on in the series.)

It's always to hear other opinions! Personally I felt there was romance and a I liked it. (But I like crazy romance.)

message 36: by Ceri (new)

Ceri (ladycarrington) Shera (Book Whispers) wrote: "Ceri, that's good food for thought.

The book is a huge world wind of events and some of it doesn't seem important. (Though I do think quite a bit of it comes up later on in the series.)

It's alwa..."

What did you think of the Clockwork Angel series? I havent read Clockwork Prince yet, but i enjoyed the first book better than MI.

message 37: by Linda (new)

Linda (logjavannah) | 13 comments Melanie wrote: "I have all these books! I love them! And it is rare that I buy books (seeing as we are poor collage students) so I only buy book I really LOVE and know that I will read again and again. I did ..."

I have real all of this series so far. If you love them you should also read the other series that goes along with this. They all have Clockwork in the title of them. They are about the Infernal Instruments and Jace's ancestors. They are great too.

message 38: by Linda (new)

Linda (logjavannah) | 13 comments Ceri wrote: "Shera (Book Whispers) wrote: "Ceri, that's good food for thought.

The book is a huge world wind of events and some of it doesn't seem important. (Though I do think quite a bit of it comes up later..."

They are great too! I have read everyone so far.

message 39: by Linda (new)

Linda (logjavannah) | 13 comments Natalie wrote: "Saying ''I'm in love with Mortal Instruments'' is in my case, completly not enough. I'm CRAZY about Mortal Instruments. I adore Jace- he's... he's... I don't even have words to describe him- I lov..."

You really should try the books that go along with this series. They all have Clockwork in the title. They are kind of about Jace's ancestors. Magnus is in these books also and they are about the Infernal Instruments. I liked them a lot too.

message 40: by Linda (new)

Linda (logjavannah) | 13 comments Think wrote: "Oh wow! The Mortal Instruments series is amazing! I have all of them so far!"

Try the ones about the Infernal Devices. They all have Clockwork in the title and go along with these. They take place in an earlier era but Magnus is still in some of them.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Ceri wrote: "Shera (Book Whispers) wrote: "Ceri, that's good food for thought.

The book is a huge world wind of events and some of it doesn't seem important. (Though I do think quite a bit of it comes up later..."

I've got them sitting on my shelves. Maybe I'll get to them faster.

message 42: by Christine (new)

Christine (christined22) | 2 comments Ceri wrote: "S.J. wrote: "I am another underwhelmed reader of MI. i had read loads of fantastic quotes on FB groups, mostly from Jace and was expecting to love it but it just didn't grip me. I didn't enjoy the ..."

I think I may be in the same boat. I heard all these great reviews and now that I am halfway through I am not sure about the book. It's entertaining enough, but I'm not loving it. :(

message 43: by Tina Theresa (new)

Tina Theresa | 47 comments I also didn't enjoy this book. The world building was interesting but the characters I found lacking. I didn't care for Clary.

message 44: by Dale (new)

Dale Ibitz (goodreadscomdale_ibitz) | 43 comments I liked the book. A lot, in fact. Though I did find it slow and draggy in spots, I thought it was pretty interesting. I liked the characters, and while I didn't *love* Clary, she didn't annoy me either. I'm looking forward to the next book!

message 45: by Reader-ramble (new)

Reader-ramble I'm only 23% of the way through, and have come to the realization that I've been spoiled by all the amazing books recommended on my twitter feed. It's all so very... boring.

How should I put it? Clary could jump of a bridge right now and I would barely notice.

Oh, well. I'll keep trudging.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments We're moving on to the second book in the series, City of Ashes.

Also an email will being going out with a link to whether or not members want to coninue on reading this series or not!

Spoilers
Remember to utilize the (view spoiler) tags so that you don't spoil anything for any other readers. Check out the "some html is ok" options on goodreads for details or ask! We've even got a special thread for more details.

City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2) by Cassandra Clare

message 47: by Guna (new)

Guna (guncha102) I have read all of them. Can't wait for the last to come out!!! Aww it's so long 'till 2014.. ;(
Only thing that will keep me alive before the 6th book comes out is The Clockwork Princess :DD

message 48: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Turner (tashaturner) | 41 comments A friend just loaned me three of these. I'm looking forward to reading and discussing them.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 2569 comments Members are voting on if they want to continue reading this series for our YA series.

Vote here:

http://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/29...

The poll ends the 4th.

message 50: by Vita (new)

Vita (vitanostri) | 9 comments read all the books, wonderful series.

« previous 1