Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Paranormal Romance > What can i read after '' Sookie'' ???

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lana (last edited Feb 24, 2010 05:32AM) (new)

Lana Standley (lana241189) I have just finished reading Charlaine Harris - sookie stackhouse series and loved it. I read stephenie meyer series before that and again loved it but it was more for YOUNG adults.

i need a good adult paranormal romance book like the Charlaine Harris series. I heard the J R Ward - Black Dagger Brotherhooh series was a good one?
Any suggestions!!!

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Bair-Epps | 725 comments Have you read Succubus Blues by Richelle Mead? I highly recommend it.

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 208 comments Love Love Love black dagger brotherhood!
definitely a good one to read next. another one is Immortals after dark by Kresley Cole
or Dark hunters by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Jessica  `~Blahyze~` I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY reccomend the Black Dagger brotherhood, after I fin the sookie stackhouse series I was also looking for adult books it filled the void... I also liked Succubus Blues..very good and Storm Born by the same author was really good too.

Hope this helps.

message 5: by Pickles (new)

Pickles (angstypickles) | 219 comments The Black Dagger Brotherhood is a good series, especially the first 3 books, but I'm preferring Kresley Cole's "Immortals After Dark" series right now. It's a hot, fun series. It starts with A Hunger Like No Other (Immortals After Dark, #2) by Kresley Cole . (Well, that is the first novel in the series, but technically the first story set in the IAD universe was a novella in Playing Easy to Get (Includes Immortals After Dark, #1; Vikings Underground, #3; and B.A.D. #5) by Sherrilyn Kenyon . I read the novella after I had already read all of the full-length novels in the series, though, so you don't really have to start there.)

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Keri Arthur's Riley Jensen series is also excellent, and definately worth a look!
Full Moon Rising (Riley Jenson Guardian, #1) by Keri Arthur (First Book in the series)

message 7: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 565 comments Those are really good Kat. Also Patricia Briggs and Eileen Wilks are really good authors too.

Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos) | 280 comments Amanda Ashley has some really good books

message 9: by Christie (new)

Christie (cibarra) The Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost. The first book is

Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost

message 10: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (Savhage Temptrest) (savhagetemptress) | 330 comments After I finished with Sookie, and pined for the next installment because I absolutely love these books, I read the following series, and LOVED them completely!

Twilight series (of course!) by Stephenie Meyer
Psy/Changeling and Guild Hunters series by Nalini Singh
Black Dagger Brotherhood series by J.R. Ward
Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost
Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews
Mercedes Thompson series by Patricia Briggs

1st books of the series:

Twilight (Twilight, #1) by Stephenie Meyer Slave to Sensation (Psy-Changeling, #1) by Nalini Singh Angels' Blood (Guild Hunters, #1) by Nalini Singh Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews Moon Called (Mercedes Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs

message 11: by April (new)

April (AprilC2000) | 1 comments I would definitely recommend Laurell K. Hamilton. I fell in love with the Meredith Gentry series and the Anita Blake series.

message 12: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 320 comments All of the ones listed are great reads and I would also add the Rachel Morgan series by Kim Harrison.

Dead Witch Walking (Rachel Morgan/The Hollows, #1) by Kim Harrison The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (Rachel Morgan/The Hollows, #2) by Kim Harrison Every Which Way But Dead (Rachel Morgan/The Hollows, #3) by Kim Harrison A Fistful of Charms (Rachel Morgan/The Hollows, #4) by Kim Harrison For a Few Demons More (Rachel Morgan/The Hollows, #5) by Kim Harrison The Outlaw Demon Wails (Rachel Morgan/The Hollows, #6) by Kim Harrison White Witch, Black Curse (Rachel Morgan/The Hollows, #7) by Kim Harrison Black Magic Sanction (Rachel Morgan/The Hollows, #8) by Kim Harrison

message 13: by Mhollie (new)

Mhollie | 175 comments Lords of the Underworld Series by Gena Showalter

message 14: by Charity (new)

Charity (charity4130) | 1 comments I would recommend Christine Feehans Ghostwalker Series and the Drake sisters series! I SERIOUSLY keep rereading them both!!!

message 15: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (cassielo) | 37 comments I filled my Sookie void with the Queen Betsy series (I thought they were just absolutely hilarious) and the Mercedes Thompson series.

message 16: by Katie (new)

Katie (lekaza) | 11 comments Just about any book by Katie MacAlister A Girl's Guide to Vampires (Dark Ones, #1) by Katie MacAlister is the first in the dark one series You Slay Me (Aisling Grey Guardian, #1) by Katie MacAlister is the first in her Dragon series

message 17: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 565 comments I loved the Dragon series. It was so funny. I was hoping there would be another book (not the Silver Dragon ones), but I haven't seen anything.

message 18: by Shanon (last edited Feb 25, 2010 07:55PM) (new)

Shanon (shazamy) I just read Tempest Rising by Nicole Peeler. I think if you like Sookie, you'll really like this one too.

Tempest Rising by Nicole Peeler

message 19: by Lana (new)

Lana Standley (lana241189) thanks for that i will add them to my must reads xxx

message 20: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda (helpmerhonda72) Jessica wrote: "Have you read Succubus Blues by Richelle Mead? I highly recommend it."

I agree!! Book#5 is coming out March 30th!! Yea, can't wait!

message 21: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda (helpmerhonda72) Christie wrote: "The Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost. The first book is

Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost"

OOOOO, Yea... I just finished the 4th book today, Oh how much I loved this read!!!!

message 22: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Fallscheer | 1 comments Lana wrote: "I have just finished reading Charlaine Harris - sookie stackhouse series and loved it. I read stephenie meyer series before that and again loved it but it was more for YOUNG adults.

i need a g..."

You will absolutely love the J.R. Ward book series. LOVE THEM. Hot and everything a woman needs.

message 23: by Angela (new)

Angela (angbens) | 343 comments I read the BDB series, by J.R. Ward after I read Sookie....

message 24: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 2659 comments Mod
and, to thrown a downer on our BDB fan(atics) a word of warning. If you aren't into weird spelling habits, totally bogus slang, villians that are totally pathetic, and bad writing in general--then you won't like BDB. (Ducking for cover) Sorry gals, but after trying 3 times to get through the FIRST BDB book (and never making it past page 50 or so before throwing the book at the wall) and then taking THREE DAYS to read book 2 (normally takes me 4 or 5 HOURS) well. . .

Ok, I DID read Covet by Ward--and it was ok. I did get it from the library. And while I am willing to give book 2 in the series a chance, I'm again, waiting for my name to make it to the top of the list at the library (I believe I'm #35 when it finally gets released.)

The weird thing is--I'm normally NOT a picky reader. Just not sure what it is with Ward that sits so badly, but I can barely get through her works. Ah well, if we were all alike, it would be a truly boring world, right?

message 25: by Regina (last edited Mar 25, 2010 11:25AM) (new)

Regina (reginar) I agree with many of the ones recommended above, so I won't repeat, but one I highly recommend, I think it is more Urban Fantasy with romance thrown in but it is excellent, and that is the Fever series by Moning:

Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning
Bloodfever (Fever, #2) by Karen Marie Moning
Faefever (Fever, #3) by Karen Marie Moning Dreamfever (Fever, #4) by Karen Marie Moning Shadowfever (Fever, #5) by Karen Marie Moning by Karen Marie Moning

My other faves (mentioned already):

Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost
Kiss of Midnight (Midnight Breed, #1) by Lara Adrian (heavy on romance, romance is central to plot)
Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward

message 26: by Evilkitty (new)

Evilkitty | 3 comments Christine Feehans Dark Series. I love the series.

message 27: by Selena (new)

Selena Lem | 4 comments Lana wrote: "thanks for that i will add them to my must reads xxx"

you should serisoly read the sookie stackhouse novels. especially the 4th one dead in the family

message 28: by Amanda (new)

Amanda The Book Slayer (amanda_the_book_slayer) | 111 comments Carolyn F. wrote: "I loved the Dragon series. It was so funny. I was hoping there would be another book (not the Silver Dragon ones), but I haven't seen anything."

I also loved the Dragon series. Actually I love all the books she writes. I think she is hillarious.

Jen  ~The dreamer~ | 649 comments Black Dagger Brotherhood JR Ward
Succubus series Richelle Meade
Vampire Academy Richelle Meade (YA)

I've got the following series waiting for me in my Library:

Halfway to the Grave
A Hunger Like No Other
Kiss of Midnight
The Warlord Wants Forever
Pleasure Unbound
Guilty Pleasures

message 30: by Laura (new)

Laura Definitely the Night Huntress series!

message 31: by Scarlet (new)

Scarlet (extraordinarygirl86) | 81 comments I highly suggest Succubus Blues and Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead. The Succubus Blues series is very similar to the Sookie Stackhouse Series in regards to her interaction with men. Like Sookie, the main character in this series has trouble with romantic relationships because she is not an average human. Vampire Academy is quite similar to Buffy The Vampire Slayer, so if you like that show you will like Vampire Academy. VA is a young adult series, but it is very well written.

message 32: by Christina (new)

Christina (kriska1976) | 99 comments Scarlet wrote: "I highly suggest Succubus Blues and Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead. The Succubus Blues series is very similar to the Sookie Stackhouse Series in regards to her interaction with men. Like Sookie, ..."

I second this recommendation!

message 33: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (elainereads) | 21 comments Evilkitty wrote: "Christine Feehans Dark Series. I love the series."

I definitely agree. I can't get enough of the Carpathians.

message 34: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (elainereads) | 21 comments Scarlet wrote: "I highly suggest Succubus Blues and Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead...."

I haven't read the Succubus Blues series, but I love Vampire Academy. I finished book five, Spirit Bound yesterday.

message 35: by Christina (new)

Christina (kriska1976) | 99 comments Elaine wrote: "Scarlet wrote: "I highly suggest Succubus Blues and Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead...."

I haven't read the Succubus Blues series, but I love Vampire Academy. I finished book five, [book:Spirit ..."

The Succubus series is as well written as the Vampire Academy series and I love it just as much. I highly recommend it.

message 36: by Audrey (new)

Audrey | 35 comments I like the Georgina Kincaid series (aka Succubus series) just as much as Vampire Academy.

message 37: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (elainereads) | 21 comments I think I may have the first one in my library. I'll have to check and see.

message 38: by Lisa (last edited May 24, 2010 11:38AM) (new)

Lisa Harris | 77 comments I enjoyed the Wicked series by Nancy Holder and Debbie Viguié. Good mix of romance and action, some past life stuff. I guess it is more YA than adult. But still a very good story.

message 39: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Try Chicagoland Vampires. I think you'd like it!

Some Girls Bite (Chicagoland Vampires, #1) by Chloe Neill Friday Night Bites (Chicagoland Vampires, #2) by Chloe Neill Twice Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires, #3) by Chloe Neill

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Try Lifeblood. If you are having trouble finding it I just got a link that might help:

Lulu's free printing package doesn't include one. Tell her to order it from http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/li... . It sells for $9.87, plus S & H. Hope she like it!