This is not The Haters Club You're Looking For discussion

Random Friend Requests

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 2198 comments I know this has been done before, but I'm going to do it again. Lately there has been a surge in friend requests from people with whom I've never exchanged words. They don't even send me a message with the request.

You can't just pull me into a dark alley, grab my ass, and expect me to do the deed with you. I don't know you, or where you've been. Or who you've been with. And then when I check your profile and see that you've been with several hundred people - nuh uh. Hell no! Especially when you've only read a few dozen books. I'm essentially an old-fashioned guy, so that shit doesn't work for me.

Okay, this analogy doesn't even work for me any more, so I should stop.

message 2: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments ::grabs Rusty's ass::

message 3: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 2198 comments Always with the ass-grabbing.

message 4: by Tom (new)

Tom Foolery (tomfoolery) I won't grab your ass, Rusty. Or any of your other livestock, either.

message 5: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 2198 comments Tom wrote: "I won't grab your ass, Rusty."

Yeah, yeah. That's what you said last time.......

message 6: by Arminius (new)

Arminius I used to get a lot of random friend requests. So I added that they must give a reason for the request.

The requests slowed down but I still got a few. Some gave good reasons and a few gave reasons like "to compare books." Then I checked their bookshelf and I found that they haven't read anybooks that I have read.

So, I changed the question. Now to be my friend you have to guess who is the greatest president. So far I had only have two attempts.

message 7: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 2198 comments Arminius wrote: "I used to get a lot of random friend requests. So I added that they must give a reason for the request.

The requests slowed down but I still got a few. Some gave good reasons and a few gave rea..."

Thanks. I’m still pretty GR illiterate, it seems. I’ll have to (find and) mess with that application when I get home.

And Arminius, that question is way too easy.

message 8: by Sally (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 0 comments Who is the answer?

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 01, 2010 03:57PM) (new)

Reagan.

(edit: that's who I think that Arminius will say. And Rusty. I think it was Jimmy Carter based on nothing but his smile and accent. Lincoln was cool, too.)

message 10: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments George Washington.

message 11: by Arminius (new)

Arminius Do you want name to tell you now? Or should I wait for more guesses?

message 12: by Dave (last edited Mar 01, 2010 03:59PM) (new)

Dave Russell Are you guys guessing what Arminius would say or saying who you think the best president is?

message 13: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 2198 comments Sally wrote: "Who is the answer?"

It has to be Jefferson Davis or William Henry Harrison, right?

message 14: by Sally (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 0 comments I'm thinking Abe Lincoln. Who doesn't love Lincoln?

message 15: by Arminius (new)

Arminius This is my challenge question for friend requests:

"Who is America's greatest president? You have three chances to match mine. So send me three."

But please stick with one guess in this game.

I am going to have to change it after I tell you the answer.

message 16: by smetchie (last edited Mar 01, 2010 03:41PM) (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments I was guessing what Arminius would say because it's his question and I was trying to get it right.

message 17: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell Sarah's probably right, then: Reagan. The other possibility is too horrible to imagine.

Servius  Heiner George Washington is clearly the greatest president our nation ever had. George Washington in chronological order did each of the following things , unprecedented in history, which independently merit his special place:

He won a Revolutionary War based upon revolutionary ideas.
Having commanded through peril his armies to victory, he gave up power.
He suppressed Shays Rebellion and preserved the Articles of Confederation.
He presided over the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia.
He created the informal term limits for presidents.

Thomas Jefferson would have to be next on the list of best presidents. His purchase of "Louisiana" not only doubled the size of the United States, but it meant that the refugees from Ireland, Italy, Poland, Russia, and Germany would have land to settle and, with all the risks inherent in true freedom, to thrive.

Jefferson also defeated the first and perhaps greatest threat to our constitutional liberties. When the Federalists passed the Alien and Sedition Acts Jefferson demonstrated that the states and the people, not the courts and the bureaucrats, would protect individual rights.

And the Ronald Reagan... We all know about him right?

Did I nail It Arminius?

message 19: by Arminius (new)

Arminius For now, all I will say is Jefferson stunk as president!

Servius  Heiner Damn my eyes!

message 21: by smetchie (last edited Mar 01, 2010 04:44PM) (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments Has everyone always been 10 feet up George Washington's ass or is it just recently? Is he just back in style or something? I mean, yeah he's always been a prominent historical figure but lately I keep noticing people sucking his dick. I haven't been sticking around long enough to hear if there are some specific reasons that relate to current events.

Servius  Heiner I don't know if he is the it item right now, but if he is, it is probably because so many are down in the dumps. In times of distress people often look back on great historical figures for guidance/reassurance that we will pull through.

message 23: by Harry (new)

Harry  (Harry_Harry) FDR although Teddy Roosevelt was pretty cool too.

message 24: by Tom (new)

Tom Foolery (tomfoolery) GW, historically, is kind of a big deal. Just by stepping down after two terms he established a precedent of peaceful change of power. If he had wished, he could have become president for life...and left chaos and a power vacuum when he died.

message 25: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 2198 comments What, no love for William Henry Harrison? He taught us the importance of coats.

message 26: by Sally (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 0 comments Part of AJ Jacobs new book was living according to George Washington's social conduct/etiquette. I learned a lot about Washington through that, and then there was something about him in this most recent Sunday paper too!

You're right Gretchen, he is all up in everything right now. I don't know if exactly as, ahem, graphically as you describe, but yes. Lots of love for that man.
Someone posted a big ol love thread to him one week AFTER his birthday in TC. That weirded me out, and then I thought it was his birthday and told everyone it was when it wasn't.

message 27: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 2198 comments Thanks, Arminius. Now, before anyone friend requests me (and who wouldn't want to?) they have to guess which number I'm thinking of right now.

Also, I see nothing wrong with appreciating GW. He was one of the greats.

message 28: by Arminius (new)

Arminius Gretchen and Servius got it.

Of course, George Washington was the best.

He created the executive branch that is still used today and modeled by other governments. He put an expert to head each part of the government (such as State, Treasury and War) to advise him.

He instituted a capitalist economic system which led to the world's largest economy.

His voluntary relinquishing of the presidency led his most bitter rival, King George III, to call him the greatest man of the age.

message 29: by smetchie (last edited Mar 02, 2010 08:14AM) (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments I love being right.

Thanks for explaining why, Arminius. I didn't know the part about him stepping down. That's really interesting.

message 30: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 2198 comments I didn't know the part about him stepping down. That's really interesting.

Yeah, he stepped down, Gretchen. He's no longer president.

message 31: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments I guess I should have figured that out when I heard last week that he was dead but sometimes I'm a bit slow.

message 32: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 2198 comments You're doing just fine, Gretchen. We're all very proud.

message 33: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments Rusty wrote: "Thanks, Arminius. Now, before anyone friend requests me (and who wouldn't want to?) they have to guess which number I'm thinking of right now.

Also, I see nothing wrong with appreciating GW. ..."

Rusty that's too easy. It's obviously 2.

message 34: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 2198 comments I no understand.

message 35: by Tom (new)

Tom Foolery (tomfoolery) I would have thought 69.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

3 kajillion.

message 37: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 2198 comments Tambo is almost dead on.

message 38: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Spurfect, you sound suspiciously familiar, I cannot place it but it's like I know your voice from around here.

message 39: by Kasia (new)

Kasia You tell me.

message 40: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Just saying you sound familiar, no need to jump to name calling. I can live with Keira if that's what you want.

message 41: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 2198 comments This one is entertaining. Should we keep her/him/it for a while?

message 42: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 2198 comments I know it's a dupe, but it's funny.

message 43: by Kasia (last edited Mar 03, 2010 07:14AM) (new)

Kasia I'm for it, it's like having a bad behaving pet...

If it's a dupe, it will die out anyways. Can you imagine having an active alter ego on top of your usual participation? In the long run it would be a chore.

message 44: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 2198 comments Okay, so what should we name it?

message 45: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments Alfonsette?

message 46: by Rusty (last edited Mar 03, 2010 09:53AM) (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 2198 comments Quick Gretchen, what’s a “glomp”? Should I attack or say thanks?

message 47: by smetchie (last edited Mar 03, 2010 09:56AM) (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments Rusty wrote: "What, no love for William Henry Harrison? He taught us the importance of coats."

I can't get on board with anyone who thinks making whiskey is a sin. That's just silly.

message 48: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 2198 comments Would you agree that making bad whiskey is a sin? Maybe that’s what he meant.

message 49: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments yes. agreed.

message 50: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 2198 comments Then we are of one mind.