The Bronze Horseman discussion

The Books > Maybe a silly question...

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Carly (new)

Carly | 47 comments I loved The Bronze Horseman, but just got tired of all of the love scenes. I skimmed most of the part where they were in Lazarevo. I really want to read the second and third books. Would anyone mind telling me (if you can remember off the top of your head) which parts are the most explicit, so I can skip them? I love the love story and the deovtion that Alexander and Tatiana show to one another, but prefer not to read details about their sex lives. As passionate as they are for each other, I can imagine how passionate they would be physically.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

So why exactly do you not likethe love scenes ??? are they to detailed for you? or do you not like loves scenes all together?..the next 2 books are no where near as "active under the covers" if you no what i mean but each book does have a fair share of sexual scenes . and they are in my opinion very well written.. they arnt cheesey or to errotic .. i guess you kind of no when they are coming you could just skip them ..

message 3: by Carly (new)

Carly | 47 comments They are a bit too detailed for me. I'm sure they are well-written, because the rest of the book is excellently written. Maybe I'm a bit old-fashioned - I view sex (especially between a husband and wife) as very private, sacred even, and though they are fictional characters, I don't feel comfortable reading about it in such detail.

message 4: by Carly (new)

Carly | 47 comments I guess I was mostly asking if there is a huge chunk of the last two books that is as sex-heavy as the middle portion of The Bronze Horseman. That is almost all sex, so if there were parts like that in the other books, I would know to just skip them altogether and read the other parts.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

HI Carly .. each to their own .. the other 2 books are no where near as detailed i do hope yo read them they are brilliant and the story has such a good ending.

message 6: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 637 comments TSG has quite a bit of love scenes they are scattered over the whole book where TBH all seemed to come at the end.
From reading your comments Carly I think you would call it excessive. One of the things T&A have that never really waivers is the deep sexual connection. They struggle so much in TSG and each time they need to connect again they do it with sex.
Alexander finds Tatiana sacred and that communion between them is why I love the books.

message 7: by Diane (new)

Diane (LadyDi4476) | 107 comments Wow, I can't imagine TBH without the Lazarevo scenes. I understand everyone is different and it may be too much detail for some, but I loved every word of it. If it were just two random people screwing then I would find it uncomfortable. But it was two young people desperately and completely in love with each other and after all the longing they went through I needed to feel their physical intimacy. Plus they were young and full of desire. It was a physical union. But to each their own.

message 8: by Mishelle (last edited Feb 21, 2010 10:27PM) (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) Diane wrote: "Wow, I can't imagine TBH without the Lazarevo scenes. I understand everyone is different and it may be too much detail for some, but I loved every word of it. If it were just two random people scre..."

I totally agree. Although, I can see how it may be uncomfortable for some readers. I found all the love scenes necessary, and beautiful. After all, we are reading their story, those scenes are very much part of it. But I can definatly understand some people's aversion to it. Tatiana and Alexander is tame compared to TBH, and its all at the end, other than a few short, memories. The Summer Garden, the scenes are shorter, but there are plenty.

message 9: by ChristinaRae (new)

ChristinaRae | 163 comments Mod
I got sort of sick of the sex in Lazarevo, but I thought it was a plot device to demonstrate how they couldn't carry on that way forever and to contrast the intensity of their relationship with the bleakness of Leningrad.
I agree with the others, Carly, that sex in the other books is more evenly distributed, not given in one huge chunk like TBH, but it would be hard to read them and completely avoid the sex. I think you would end up asking yourself "wait-how did they resolve that?" if you were to entirely skip those scenes.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Well said Christina Rae:)

message 11: by Alycia (new)

Alycia | 549 comments Mod
In Tatiana and Alexander, there are hardly and sex scenes... very different from TBH. Maybe one or two, I can't remember. T & A is good, but different from TBH.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Al wat ya read'n

message 13: by Alycia (new)

Rachael wrote: "Hi Al wat ya read'n"

Hey Rachael. Almost done with The Tea Rose and picking up Secret Ties every now and again for some steamy sex. I'm not too far into it yet to decide if I really like it or not.

message 14: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 22, 2010 02:41PM) (new)

If you want steamy .. read Everything Forbidden (Albright Sisters, #1) by Jess Michaels
it will knock your panties of LMAO its a fabulous short read ..
im not into the hardcore stuff .. i like it tame but dangerously naughty

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Im reading PNR .. BDB its so different to what im use to .. but im up for the challenge !

message 16: by Alycia (new)

Rachael wrote: "If you want steamy .. read Everything Forbidden (Albright Sisters, #1) by Jess Michaels
it will knock your panties of LMAO its a fabulous short read ..
im not into the hardcore stuff .. i like it tame but dangerously..."

I'm with you there. I'll check this one out, thanks. I love the BDB! It is my fav. pnr series! Those Brothers are so smoking hot! I could talk about those books forever.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

So if you liked it then i no i will like it .. but its just so hard to get into ... good sex scenes???

message 18: by Alycia (last edited Feb 22, 2010 02:52PM) (new)

Rachael wrote: "So if you liked it then i no i will like it .. but its just so hard to get into ... good sex scenes??? "

Book 1, Dark Lover is good, but compared with the rest of the series is a little weak since it's the introduction to the series. Stick with it though, this really is an amazing series. I have my definite favorites of the series. Yes, awesome sex scenes! They are good, descriptive enough, but still tasteful. Cold showers are needed after some of them, lol!

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I LIKE

message 20: by Mishelle (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) Alycia wrote: "Rachael wrote: "Hi Al wat ya read'n"

Hey Rachael. Almost done with The Tea Rose and picking up Secret Ties every now and again for some steamy sex. I'm not too far int..."

Why, you finding 'The Tea Rose' lacking Alycia?

message 21: by Alycia (new)

No, not at all. It's just taking me longer to read it because I pick up others as well. It is slow in a few parts, but not boring or lacking. It is just an involved story.

message 22: by Mishelle (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) Alycia wrote: "No, not at all. It's just taking me longer to read it because I pick up others as well. It is slow in a few parts, but not boring or lacking. It is just an involved story."

Lacking in the Steam factor, I meant.

message 23: by Alycia (new)

Yes,sorry I misunderstood Shell. it's not steamy. He heroine has been away from the love of her life, he is looking for her. I do anticipate some sex, but I don't know what it will be like. The sex mentioned just kinda skims over/ hints at what they are doing then moves on.

message 24: by Mishelle (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) Was it you who was asking me about 'Through A Glass Darkly'?

message 25: by Carly (new)

Carly | 47 comments So, I appreciate the response, everyone. I agree that Tatiana and Alexander needed and deserved their Lazarevo - and I totally understand that they have a deep, sexual communion too:) I just wasn't comfortable reading about it in such detail, but look forward to the other two books now that I have a better idea of what to expect. I bought the Bronze Horseman on a whim at Barnes & Noble - had no idea what it was, had never even heard of it. I've really enjoyed it.

message 26: by Linda (new)

Linda C | 30 comments Alycia wrote: "Rachael wrote: "Hi Al wat ya read'n"

Hey Rachael. Almost done with The Tea Rose and picking up Secret Ties every now and again for some steamy sex. I'm not too far int..."

I loved The Tea Rose. I wouldn't say it was great writing, maybe not even particularly good writing, but it was a great read.

message 27: by Diane (new)

Diane (LadyDi4476) | 107 comments I think the problem most people have with the sex scenes is because they are in one huge lump sum. It goes on for about 100 pages and after a while it's unbelievable. But I don't know...I never seemed to have a problem with it because I understood what they were feeling. A year is a long time to have been building all these intense emotions and cravings and it just erupted from there. Plus as someone as mentioned, they knew it wasn't going to last. It's not like they had years and years ahead of them to look forward to. Alexander knew he had to go back and Tatiana was aware she may never see him again. So that explains to me the level of desperate intimacy they needed to convey to each other. They could not get enough because it was all they were going to have and live the rest of their lives based on.

message 28: by Alycia (new)

Shell wrote: "Was it you who was asking me about 'Through A Glass Darkly'?"

Yes, it was me :)

message 29: by ChristinaRae (new)

Yeah . . . if you were young and hot and had a month to live, would you sit around and knit socks? I don't think so.

message 30: by Alycia (new)

Linda wrote: "Alycia wrote: "Rachael wrote: "Hi Al wat ya read'n"

Hey Rachael. Almost done with The Tea Rose and picking up Secret Ties every now and again for some steamy sex. I'..."

I am enjoying it so far, Linda. It is slow in a few places.

message 31: by Alycia (new)

Diane wrote: "I think the problem most people have with the sex scenes is because they are in one huge lump sum. It goes on for about 100 pages and after a while it's unbelievable. But I don't know...I never see..."

I didn't have a problem with the sex scenes. I was glad they were included because at that point T and A got to be together and finally express their love.

message 32: by Alycia (new)

ChristinaRae wrote: "Yeah . . . if you were young and hot and had a month to live, would you sit around and knit socks? I don't think so."

HAHAHA! Agreed :)

message 33: by Mishelle (last edited Feb 23, 2010 02:48PM) (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) Alycia wrote: "Shell wrote: "Was it you who was asking me about 'Through A Glass Darkly'?"

Yes, it was me :)"

Okay, well... It is awesome. Like nothing I have ever read, and so many things happening, it blows my mind. Not quite what I thought it was, going in.... Magnificent writing. It's sucked me in.

message 34: by Alycia (new)

Did you write a review for it Shell? I may have to mark it then since I wasn't sure before.

message 35: by Mishelle (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) Alycia wrote: "Did you write a review for it Shell? I may have to mark it then since I wasn't sure before."

No not yet, Im not quite finished. I will when I'm done.

message 36: by Diane (new)

Diane (LadyDi4476) | 107 comments ChristinaRae wrote: "Yeah . . . if you were young and hot and had a month to live, would you sit around and knit socks? I don't think so."

LOL certainly not while staying in a secluded cabin in the forest with Shura!!

message 37: by Alycia (new)

Shell wrote: "Alycia wrote: "Did you write a review for it Shell? I may have to mark it then since I wasn't sure before."

No not yet, Im not quite finished. I will when I'm done."

Oh, ok. Well, I look forward to reading your review.

message 38: by Carly (last edited Feb 23, 2010 07:15PM) (new)

Carly | 47 comments ChristinaRae wrote: Yeah . . . if you were young and hot and had a month to live, would you sit around and knit socks? I don't think so.

Of course not - I never said that. I understand why the scenes are there and what they mean to the characters. I'm not trying to debate the reality of sex - we're all grown ups and people have sex :) I get it, just don't want to spend endless pages reading about it.

message 39: by ChristinaRae (new)

Carly wrote: "ChristinaRae wrote: Yeah . . . if you were young and hot and had a month to live, would you sit around and knit socks? I don't think so.

Of course not - I never said that. I understand why the..."

That comment was meant generally. :)

message 40: by Carly (new)

Carly | 47 comments Thanks - I really do appreciate the responses. The TBH communit is one of the nicest ones I've come across. It's nice to find others who are enthusiastic about the books, as well.

message 41: by Linda (new)

Linda C | 30 comments I agree with Carly, although albeit for somewhat different reasons. I have no problem with the descriptions (I have read better and I have read worse), I simply get bored with the pages (and pages and pages) devoted to their lovemaking during this part of the book, which is a shame because it also has some of the most beautiful quotes, as we've noted on other threads.

In this section, they seem more immature to me than during other parts of the book. Tatiana is very young and what 17/18 year old girl is not consumed with passion for her boyfriend? I thought I would die when my high school boyfriend left for college, yet obviously, I survived, and now I barely remember his name.

I think Simons would have been able to convey their desperation better with a more selective use of steamy scenes. After all, Romeo and Juliet may be the greatest love story ever, certainly the greatest poetry ever written and they were dressed almost the whole time. (There is a movie from the 1960s directed by Franco Zeffereli that starred Olivia Hussey and Leonard Whiting-- it turns up on cable once in a great while and it is stunning, watch it if you ever have the chance.)

message 42: by Linda (last edited Feb 24, 2010 06:42AM) (new)

Linda C | 30 comments I think I gave Shell a glowing recommendation of Through A Glass Darkly, so I'm so glad that she is liking it.

Always a risk, when you love a book, and then someone else reads it and is like "What were you talking about? I hated this book!" LOL

message 43: by Carly (new)

Carly | 47 comments Linda, I felt the way you do about Lazarevo. Not that the characters didn't need and deserve their time together - but I was anxious to find out what would happen next and it seemed to slow things down a bit. And yes, compared to the beginning and the end, they did seem a bit more immature here. But then, they didn't get to have a normal courtship and experience the immaturity at the beginning of their relationship when most people do.

message 44: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 637 comments That Romeo and Juliet is my favorite movie. The music is beautiful and Hussey is a perfect Juliet.

" Wilt thou be gone? It is not yet near day:
It was the nightingale, and not the lark,
That pierced the fearful hollow of thine ear;
Nightly she sings on yon pomegranate-tree."

message 45: by Mishelle (last edited Feb 24, 2010 08:49AM) (new)

Mishelle LaBrash (mishalabrash) Linda wrote: "I think I gave Shell a glowing recommendation of Through A Glass Darkly, so I'm so glad that she is liking it.

Always a risk, when you love a book, and then someone else reads it and is like "Wh..."

Yes Linda, I love it, almost done... 42 more pages...

message 46: by Alycia (new)

I agree. This group is great! I loved all the sex scenes in TBH, I just wished they were spread out a little more

message 47: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  | 637 comments I have to return my copy of TSG to the library.
I am so sad. :-( I love picking it up when ever I need a little Alexander fix.

message 48: by Alycia (new)

That is sad :( I was thinking of picking up TBH again. I need to get a copy of TSG though as well.

message 49: by Linda (new)

Linda C | 30 comments I can't find a copy of TSG through the library. My library is part of a library network of about 15 towns and none of our libraries have a copy. We can also borrow outside of the network from other participating libraries in the state so I did a search on the state website and could find only one library in the Massachusetts network with a copy-- and they aren't sharing.

Guess I will have to buy it! According to Amazon, the paperback is coming out in June.

message 50: by Alycia (new)

I looked on Amazon, it only listed T & A coming out in June. I couldn't find TSG. I am trying to decide if I should buy it used or through an amazon seller or wait till June.

« previous 1