The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 25.8 (Helen's Task - Talk to the Animals)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 102 (102 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments 25.8 - Helen's Task - Talk to the Animals
In honor of our animal friends, read two books (fiction or non-fiction):
A. A book narrated by or written in the voice of an animal Ex: The Art of Racing in the Rain
AND
B. A book demonstrating the relationship between owners and pets Ex: Marley and Me or Dewey

If you need suggestions OR have suggestions for books to read for this task post them here.

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments Helen first of all can I say that I LOVE this task!!! I just wanted to ask if these two books would work. Would The Autobiography of Foudini M. Cat work for A and What Wendell Wants: Or, How to Tell if You're Obsessed with Your Dog work for B?

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I am switching Black Beauty by Anna Sewell from the horse task to this task since the story is told by the horse.

message 4: by Jen B (new)

Jen B (jennybee618) | 322 comments Will Dog on It: A Chet and Bernie Mystery work for Part B?

message 5: by Rachel Erin (new)

Rachel Erin | 85 comments Can I read Watership Down for part A or does it need to be written in first person?

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) How about the Redwall books for part A?

message 7: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments Here is a web page that could possibly help with part a...

http://www.readersadvice.com/readadv/...

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Great list Cynthia, thanks!!

message 9: by Bunny (last edited Feb 18, 2010 07:11PM) (new)

Bunny (neonbunny) | 76 comments i love this task. :)

would a nonfiction (but not a memoir) book about caring for a pet work for part b?

message 10: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Oh yay! I was just saying how I think it's odd that I was an English major and a book FREAK and I never read Orwell. I put 1984 in for the What's in a Name? task and now I can fit in Animal Farm for Part A of this task!

message 11: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Could I use The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane for my animal narrator book? A stuffed animal is still an animal, right?

message 12: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments I am going to read Animal Farm because I never did and Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World because you suggested it and it sounds ADORABLE. I love cats and libraries, so it's gotta work for me!

Thanks for the suggestion!

message 13: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Nicole wrote: "I really need help for B. I can't think of any pets and their owners books except Marley and Me, which I read already!"

Think any children's dog book ever created:
Old Yeller
Where the Red Fern Grows
Sounder
Because of Winn-Dixie
Henry and Ribsy
Ribsy
Dog Who Wouldn't Be
Love That Dog
Shiloh

Of course, the dog book I like best, No More Dead Dogs, won't work because it's not actually about a dog...

message 14: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Ms Anderson wrote: "Nicole wrote: "I really need help for B. I can't think of any pets and their owners books except Marley and Me, which I read already!"

Think any children's dog book ever created:
[book:Old Yeller|..."

Thanks! I chose the one suggested in the task name when I saw that it was about a library cat!!! Then I deleted my post asking for help. sorry to make you go to the trouble!

message 15: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Nicole wrote: "Ms Anderson wrote: "Nicole wrote: "I really need help for B. I can't think of any pets and their owners books except Marley and Me, which I read already!"

Think any children's dog book ever create..."

Nah, it's okay--I only wrote the ones I could remember off the top of my head. Maybe someone else will be able to use that list. Glad you found something you like :3

message 16: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Would either The Story of Edgar Sawtelle or Travels with Charley: In Search of America work for the second part of the task?

message 17: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments If I can find a copy of Simon's Cat, could I read that for part B? The YouTube videos are HILARIOUS.

message 18: by Helen (new)

Helen Southall (hsouthall) | 359 comments Sarah wrote: "Helen first of all can I say that I LOVE this task!!! I just wanted to ask if these two books would work. Would The Autobiography of Foudini M. Cat work for A and [book:What Wendell ..."

Both work. You will really like the Foudini M. Cat character. Great fun.

message 19: by Helen (new)

Helen Southall (hsouthall) | 359 comments Jen B wrote: "Will Dog on It: A Chet and Bernie Mystery work for Part B? "

Works for either Part A or B since it is narrated by the dog and includes a dog/owner relationship. If the next one in the series is out, you could read both and cover A and B.

message 20: by Helen (new)

Helen Southall (hsouthall) | 359 comments Rachel Erin wrote: "Can I read Watership Down for part A or does it need to be written in first person?"

Perfect for this task.

message 21: by Helen (new)

Helen Southall (hsouthall) | 359 comments Lyn M wrote: "How about the Redwall books for part A?"

All of those work.

message 22: by Helen (new)

Helen Southall (hsouthall) | 359 comments Bunny wrote: "i love this task. :)

would a nonfiction (but not a memoir) book about caring for a pet work for part b?"

That would be fine.

message 23: by Helen (new)

Helen Southall (hsouthall) | 359 comments Cynthia wrote: "Here is a web page that could possibly help with part a...

http://www.readersadvice.com/readadv/..."

Thanks Cynthia - that is a super list.

message 24: by Helen (new)

Helen Southall (hsouthall) | 359 comments Ms Anderson wrote: "Could I use The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane for my animal narrator book? A stuffed animal is still an animal, right?"

Yes, I'll take that.

message 25: by Helen (new)

Helen Southall (hsouthall) | 359 comments Cait wrote: "Would either The Story of Edgar Sawtelle or Travels with Charley: In Search of America work for the second part of the task?"

Either would work since they depict the owner/pet relationship.

message 26: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (kalypso) | 24 comments Would Life of Pi work for part b?

message 27: by Katie (last edited Feb 19, 2010 05:36AM) (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 263 comments Would either of these books work for the 2nd part of the task?

All Things Bright and Beautiful : It's about a vet, but the owners of the animals he treats are part of the storyline.

Unspoken : The book description says specifically that the gorilla is owned by the zoo, but the animal researcher is her caretaker and the gorilla lives with her.

message 28: by Helen (new)

Helen Southall (hsouthall) | 359 comments Alicia wrote: "Would Life of Pi work for part b?"

That will work.

message 29: by Helen (new)

Helen Southall (hsouthall) | 359 comments Katie wrote: "Would either of these books work for the 2nd part of the task?

All Things Bright and Beautiful : It's about a vet, but the owners of the animals he treats are part of the storyline.

..."

Both work.

message 31: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Wesley the Owl: The Remarkable Love Story of an Owl and His Girl by Stacey O'Brien is a great story that would fit Part B.

message 32: by Helen (new)

Helen Southall (hsouthall) | 359 comments Fiona (Titch) wrote: "Can I read One Dog at a Time: Saving the Strays of Helmand - An Inspiring True Story for part B?"

That's good.

message 33: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Helen wrote: "Ms Anderson wrote: "Could I use The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane for my animal narrator book? A stuffed animal is still an animal, right?"

Yes, I'll take that.

"

YES! *does a little dance* It's a reread, which I didn't want to do, but...*ahem* Thank you, Helen! <3<3<3

message 34: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (kalypso) | 24 comments Helen wrote: "Alicia wrote: "Would Life of Pi work for part b?"

That will work.

"

Awesome! Thanks!

message 35: by Donna Jo (last edited Feb 19, 2010 12:16PM) (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Another good one for part B: The Elephant Keeper by Christopher Nicholson. If you like old-fashioned animal stories like Black Beauty and Beautiful Joe: An AutoBiography of a Dog, you'll like this new book.
A couple other oldies
Lassie Come-Home by Eric Knight
The Incredible Journey by Sheila Burnford

message 36: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Prepare for waterworks with Red Fern. Sniffle.

Awesome about Life of Pi. Definitely putting that one down. Now to consider Part A - what ones I haven't read yet.

Oh another good Part B, I believe?, Water for Elephants??

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 335 comments Lost & Found would be a good one for Part B.

message 38: by Bridgit (new)

Bridgit | 515 comments I am going to read Three Bags Full and The Story of Edgar Sawtelle.

Very excited about the first one! Looks so fun and I have heard great things.

message 39: by Felina (new)

Felina I read Dewey for this past challenge and if you like cats you'll love this one. I got all watery eye'd and hugged my cats for a lot longer than they cared for.

message 40: by Felina (new)

Felina I'm doing this thing where I am devoting as much reading time this year as possible to Stephen King. Would Cujo work for either of these? The relationship between animal and owner doesn't have to be positive does it? Anybody know of any King books that would work for the first part?

message 41: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 198 comments For Part A, there are several YA series written from animal perspectives, would these work (for those of you who ready YA)

Warriors by Erin Hunt (cats)
Seekers by Erin Hunt (bears)
Guardians of Ga'Hoole by Kathryn Laskey (owls)

message 42: by Petra (new)

Petra I recommend Waiting for Gertrude: A Graveyard Gothic, which is told from the perspective of many cats who live in the Pere Lachaise Cemetary in Paris, all of whom are reincarnations of famous people buried in that Cemetery.
Sounds bizarre but it's really humerous.

message 43: by Manday (new)

Manday | 311 comments There is a series of mysteries written from the POV of a cat, but I don't know the name... My mom told me about them, the cats solve the mysteries and have to find ways to tell the people without giving away that they understand what is going on.

message 44: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Manday wrote: "There is a series of mysteries written from the POV of a cat, but I don't know the name... My mom told me about them, the cats solve the mysteries and have to find ways to tell the people without g..."

Is it the "Cat Who..." series? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_Who_...

message 45: by Manday (new)

Manday | 311 comments That might be it, but I swear she said it was POV of the cat, those would work for part B though, eh?

message 46: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Manday wrote: "That might be it, but I swear she said it was POV of the cat, those would work for part B though, eh? "

These may be the mysteries by Rita Mae Brown with Hairsteen Harry and Mrs. Murphy. The Purrfect Murder is one of many. Brown has written some other books based on other characters, so watch what ones you pick.

message 47: by Helen (new)

Helen Southall (hsouthall) | 359 comments Manday wrote: "That might be it, but I swear she said it was POV of the cat, those would work for part B though, eh? "

Donna Jo is right. The Mrs. Murphy mystery series by Rita Mae Brown works for both Part A and B. They are very entertaining and interestingly formatted. Regular type is for narration and dialogue by humans; italics are for dialogue and narration by the animals - two cats and a dog and sometimes other animals that the particular plot calls for.

message 48: by Donna Jo (last edited Feb 21, 2010 01:21PM) (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Also Susan Wittig AlbertSusan Wittig Albert has written a series of Beatrix Potter mysteries that are partly narrated by various animals from her stories. These are not children's books, but use Potter and her animal friends to look at mysteries. Very cozy mysteries. Not my cup of tea, but..

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2916 comments Can anyone give suggestions for part A. I already read Black Beauty.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2916 comments Would The Tale of Despareaux work for Part A?

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.