Start by marking “Lassie Come-Home” as Want to Read:
Lassie Come-Home

Lassie Come-Home

A beloved classic gets a beautiful new look.

Lassie is Joe's prize collie and constant companion. But when Joe's father loses his job, Lassie must be sold. Three times she escapes from her new owner, and three times she returns home to Joe, until finally she is taken to the remotest part of Scotland—too far a journey for any dog to make alone.

But Lassie is not just any dog.
Published April 1st 2003 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published 1940)

To ask other readers questions about Lassie Come-Home, please sign up.
Anne Lessie's new owner was going deaf because his years were catching up on him?
Anne The Carracloughs were kind people who were happy in their day to day living?
The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth SteinA Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce CameronMarley and Me by John GroganWhere the Red Fern Grows by Wilson RawlsThe Call of the Wild by Jack London
Great "Dog" Books
1,094 books — 1,892 voters
Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteWatership Down by Richard  AdamsAnimal Farm by George OrwellBlack Beauty by Anna SewellWhere the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
Best Books About Animals
1,487 books — 1,820 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Lassie Come-Home
Mario
Jul 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I think everyone and their mother knows the story of Lassie. I mean, there are countless movie adaptations. But for some reason, I haven't picked up the book until now. And I've got to say, this truly is a beautiful and heartwarming story, from start to finish. It was great hearing from a dogs point of view, and the struggles she survived. The story even had a few unexpected twists.

So in conclusion, amazing book, and I've got a feeling that it'll stay one of my favorite children's books for a re
classic reverie
I was looking for dog 🐕 centered books and knowing all about Lassie via the TV show, movies and the general public knowledge of this "lass", but I did not expect a story so meaningful and powerful. I chose to end my yearly May reads celebrating our beloved dog, Blondie with this book.💖🐶 When I chose this book last year, I had no idea, she would not be near me as I read this but we did enjoy watching the 1943 "Lassie Come Home." based on Eric Knight's 1940 novel, a couple months before her death. ...more
booklady
I have always wanted to read this book; I've seen the movie many times. Now I finally read it as an adult. However, I didn't read it just as ‘story’, but from the perspective of the “Great Journey Home” which we are all on. My read was a quest for universal themes, and one in particular. This quote had me in tears when I first encountered it and saw it as pertaining to my own journey back to Jesus:
‘...there was no hesitation. She was going home. Her senses were now aware of a great satisfacti
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Lassie is one of those stories I thought I knew. I finally got around to reading this 1001 Children's Book You Must Read this summer. I was surprised to discover the actual story is very different from my perception of the story.

Lassie is a strikingly beautiful collie owned by a poor family in Great Britain. She is devoted to the boy in the family. The father loses his job and decides to sell the dog to a rich man in the community. The man takes the dog to Scotland, but, somehow, though the dist
Mikayla
I take back every joke I ever made about Lassie. The TV series has nothing on this book.
I have never read such a perfect description of a dog. The author described Lassie's actions without giving her the thoughts of a human. The journey was super interesting, and I loved getting to meet all the people along the way.
This actually made me cry. I seem to be making a habit of that lately.

So don't judge by the book by it's movie. This book is epic.
Wendy
Sep 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book would be great for any animal-loving child, but adults like myself can find enjoyment, too. The writing style isn't too simplistic, actually giving kids credit for having some brains. The book also gives children credit for being able to handle more mature subjects, without going into any gruesome details. (view spoiler) Lassie's journey is touching, and I think both adults and children should find this book rewarding ...more
Mary Neary
Mar 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a book that a read and retread as a child as well as watched the movie. The characters, the Scottish countryside and the heart wrenching story of the loyalty of a dog and a family's poverty still stay with me 45 years later. It is a testament to how a great book can become a part of our being and life experience, as if we lived it ourselves.
Ali
Jan 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
i was surprised by the emotionally maturity that the author gave to the son.

i love this book.
Tarissa
Aug 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is a delightful and heartwarming story that takes place right after World War I, in England and Scotland. The storyline centers on Lassie, the Carraclough's pet Collie. The family loves their dog very much... but when hard times hit, the family is forced into making a life-changing and heart-wrenching decision.

The town of Greenall Bridge could always depend on seeing Lassie trotting down the streets with her owner, young Joe Carraclough.
As the story unfolds, you will discover how determined
Teresa
Dec 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone! Lassie Rules!!!
I had to put this book on here, because this was by far one of my favorite books when I was little... I would constantly check Lassie out from my elementary library and read it over and over agian... It got me into stories like Call of the Wild, and White Fang... But this book was one of the books that made me the reader I am today... I love lassie! =)
Rebecca McNutt
May 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Timeless classic and a lesson of friendship and perseverance; I loved this wonderful dog story when I was a little kid and it's definitely worth reading. I can't say I cared for the film adaptation(s?) but I really enjoyed the book and I highly recommend it.
Carly
May 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is the book (coupled with the old TV show) that made the collie my all-time favorite dog. Even now when I know that having a sheep dog in a house in the suburbs doesn't work out very well, I still can't help but stop and stare in fascination whenever I see a collie or a sheltie (the miniature equivalent) on the street or on TV.
Georgie
May 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
what a lovely book. I enjoyed it so much. I've watched the films too which are good, son of lassie and courage of lassie are very good films to watch too I would recommend watching them as they are very interesting.
Ejayen
Jun 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It is so good as to almost make me want a collie.
Jersy
Very mature for a children's book and very compelling.
Following Lassie on her long and hard way home, reading about the people she meets and the one's that care for her, was great.
The characters were realistic, especially the emotionally immature reaction of the parents, in a way that impressed me. It also didn't shy away from topics like war and killing for survival. Lassie had enough character to her to be interesting as a main character while still being a real dog.
Fast read and very enjoyabl
Gale
“TO OWN A DOG”

What does it take to be a true dog owner and dog lover? Certainly more than a piece of paper or a pedigree chart. Besides, what is an owner compared to being a dog’s one, true Master? Eric Knight’s 1940 tale of a dog who risks everything to be
reunited with the boy who loves her leaped into the hearts of readers the world over. Based on his youth in the mountains of Yorkshire the story opens with basic conflict: Man versus man, but unfolds into dog versus the world: man, beast, a
Gina
Mar 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: dog lovers
Can't help but love Lassie! I wish I had more to say on this one, but I don't really have any complaints or notable praises. It's well-written, engaging, and I enjoyed it. Next!
Debra Barstad
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Who does not love Lassie, I remember watching this show when I was a kid. Lassie will do anything to get back to the people she loves. Growing up I always wanted a dog like Lassie even thou I did have a dog that was just as protected over me as Lassie. I would recommend this book to all dog lovers and a good wholesome story to share with children.
Amanda
Sep 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-kids
This sweet book was so great. I would have picked it up earlier if I had known it was set in Yorkshire and Scotland and not a remake of the TV show. My boys loved it. If only I could fake a Yorkshire accent.
ProfBen10
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As classic as classic can be. This story ingeniously narrates a dog's perspective without making the dog's inner thoughts "talk".

In other words, it is the most naturalistic approach to a narrative about a dog trying to get home.

The minimal dialogue and regular description of Lassie's surroundings may be dry for some. But I personally loved it. I also liked how the author would occasionally shift perspectives to the humans Lassie encountered.

If you have patience for old descriptive writing, thi
Mira | I Read Like Phoebe Runs
The nine-year-old me loved this book to bits and pieces, and no wonder. It's such a moving and heartwarming story for anyone who identifies her/himself as a dog person.
Dan
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics
I read this when I was twelve. I didn't know there was a book behind the TV show till then.
Kelsey Bryant
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like most stories about animals, this one really tugged at my heart. Lassie went through so much on her journey! And I really enjoyed that it was a journey through Scotland and northern England. (I read Kidnapped earlier this year, which details a similar trek.)
Carolyn
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this to my 8 year old, dog-lover, daughter at bedtime. The dialect was hard to read at times, and she giggled at my attempts to sound like a Yorkshireman, but we loved the story!
Alexander Ahuja
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nice book
LuluTheRealPanda
Big feelings in heart area.
Horsegirl
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pamplemousse
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was so much better than I expected it to be. Granted I more or less accepted a children’s book about a boy and his dog, and I was ready for some condescending corniness, maybe with some casual sexism, but instead I got a tense and heart-wrenching story about perseverance and hardship. Simply beautiful.
Judy
Aug 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is described as being a "new picture-book edition written for young readers." The art is beautifully done by Susan Jeffers. She captures elements of the story that will help young (and old) readers visualize the setting. There's a beautifully rendered full-page map that shows Lassie's journey from the very north of Scotland to Greenall Bridge in England.

I have not read the original version of Lassie, but this seems to capture the essence of the story. There were a couple places where the st
Joshua B
Sep 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please correct 978-2013219549 3 13 Apr 11, 2016 06:29PM

• Lad: A Dog
  • National Velvet
  • Bambi
  • My Friend Flicka (Flicka, #1)
  • Lady and the Tramp
  • The Incredible Journey
  • The 101 Dalmatians (The Hundred and One Dalmatians, #1)
  • Disney's Sleeping Beauty
  • Old Yeller
  • Born Free: A Lioness of Two Worlds (Story of Elsa, #1)
  • Disney Sleeping Beauty (A Little Golden Book)
  • Babe: The Gallant Pig
  • The Story of Doctor Dolittle (Doctor Dolittle, #1)
  • Man O'War
  • Big Red (Big Red, #1)
  • Eclipse of the Crescent Moon
  • Gentle Ben
  • A kőszivű ember fiai
An author who is mainly notable for creating the fictional collie Lassie.

He was a native of Yorkshire in England, and had a varied career, including service in the Canadian Army during World War I and spells as an art student, newspaper reporter and Hollywood screenwriter.

His first novel was Song on Your Bugles (1936) about the working class in Northern England. As "Richard Hallas," he wrote the h