Start by marking “Lassie Come-Home” as Want to Read:
Lassie Come-Home

Lassie Come-Home

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  20,344 Ratings  ·  220 Reviews
A beloved classic gets a beautiful new look.

Lassie is Joe's prize collie and constant companion. But when Joe's father loses his job, Lassie must be sold. Three times she escapes from her new owner, and three times she returns home to Joe, until finally she is taken to the remotest part of Scotland—too far a journey for any dog to make alone.

But Lassie is not just any dog.
Published April 1st 2003 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published 1940)

To ask other readers questions about Lassie Come-Home, please sign up.
Anne Lessie's new owner was going deaf because his years were catching up on him?
Anne The Carracloughs were kind people who were happy in their day to day living?

Mario
Jul 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, own-read
I think everyone and their mother knows the story of Lassie. I mean, there are countless movie adaptations. But for some reason, I haven't picked up the book until now. And I've got to say, this truly is a beautiful and heartwarming story, from start to finish. It was great hearing from a dogs point of view, and the struggles she survived. The story even had a few unexpected twists.

So in conclusion, amazing book, and I've got a feeling that it'll stay one of my favorite children's books for a re
booklady
I have always wanted to read this book; I've seen the movie many times. Now I finally read it as an adult. However, I didn't read it just as ‘story’, but from the perspective of the “Great Journey Home” which we are all on. My read was a quest for universal themes, and one in particular. This quote had me in tears when I first encountered it and saw it as pertaining to my own journey back to Jesus:
‘...there was no hesitation. She was going home. Her senses were now aware of a great satisfaction
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-1001
Lassie is one of those stories I thought I knew. I finally got around to reading this 1001 Children's Book You Must Read this summer. I was surprised to discover the actual story is very different from my perception of the story.

Lassie is a strikingly beautiful collie owned by a poor family in Great Britain. She is devoted to the boy in the family. The father loses his job and decides to sell the dog to a rich man in the community. The man takes the dog to Scotland, but, somehow, though the dist
Sandra Bašić
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
O dobroj i vjernoj Lassie samo sam pogledala film, tako da je ova nepravda konačno ispravljena.
Wendy
Sep 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book would be great for any animal-loving child, but adults like myself can find enjoyment, too. The writing style isn't too simplistic, actually giving kids credit for having some brains. The book also gives children credit for being able to handle more mature subjects, without going into any gruesome details. (view spoiler) Lassie's journey is touching, and I think both adults and children should find this book rewarding ...more
Ali
Jan 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
i was surprised by the emotionally maturity that the author gave to the son.

i love this book.
Reta Anna Maria
Ala-asteella koulun kirjastossa oli tämä kirja. Luettiin kaverin kanssa kilpaa. Pistetekniikalla tehdyt kuvitukset ovat jääneet mieleen. Kirjan kansi oli erilainen kun tässä.
Tarissa
Aug 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is a delightful and heartwarming story that takes place right after World War I, in England and Scotland. The storyline centers on Lassie, the Carraclough's pet Collie. The family loves their dog very much... but when hard times hit, the family is forced into making a life-changing and heart-wrenching decision.

The town of Greenall Bridge could always depend on seeing Lassie trotting down the streets with her owner, young Joe Carraclough.
As the story unfolds, you will discover how determined
Teresa
Dec 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone! Lassie Rules!!!
I had to put this book on here, because this was by far one of my favorite books when I was little... I would constantly check Lassie out from my elementary library and read it over and over agian... It got me into stories like Call of the Wild, and White Fang... But this book was one of the books that made me the reader I am today... I love lassie! =)
Mary Neary
Mar 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a book that a read and retread as a child as well as watched the movie. The characters, the Scottish countryside and the heart wrenching story of the loyalty of a dog and a family's poverty still stay with me 45 years later. It is a testament to how a great book can become a part of our being and life experience, as if we lived it ourselves.
Carly
May 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is the book (coupled with the old TV show) that made the collie my all-time favorite dog. Even now when I know that having a sheep dog in a house in the suburbs doesn't work out very well, I still can't help but stop and stare in fascination whenever I see a collie or a sheltie (the miniature equivalent) on the street or on TV.
Alexandra

กับพลอตพืนๆ และวิธีเลาเรียบๆ
แตมันเปนหนังสือหมาทีดีทีสุดเทาทีเคยอาน (และเทาทีจำได)
Gale
“TO OWN A DOG”

What does it take to be a true dog owner and dog lover? Certainly more than a piece of paper or a pedigree chart. Besides, what is an owner compared to being a dog’s one, true Master? Eric Knight’s 1940 tale of a dog who risks everything to be
reunited with the boy who loves her leaped into the hearts of readers the world over. Based on his youth in the mountains of Yorkshire the story opens with basic conflict: Man versus man, but unfolds into dog versus the world: man, beast, a
Rebecca McNutt
May 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Timeless classic and a lesson of friendship and perseverance; I loved this wonderful dog story when I was a little kid and it's definitely worth reading. I can't say I cared for the film adaptation(s?) but I really enjoyed the book and I highly recommend it.
Onur Uslu
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics
Aklıma gelmişken! Bir ara tekrar okumak da yarar var :)
Gina
Mar 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: dog lovers
Can't help but love Lassie! I wish I had more to say on this one, but I don't really have any complaints or notable praises. It's well-written, engaging, and I enjoyed it. Next!
Cristina Torrão
Apesar de não possuir alta qualidade literária, resolvi dar a pontuação máxima de cinco estrelas a este romance, porque o recomendo a toda a gente
Trata-se do romance original que iniciou o fenómeno à volta da personagem canina, publicado pela E-Primatur, por ocasião do seu 75º aniversário, com as ilustrações originais de Marguerite Kirmse. O criador de Lassie, Eric Knight, escreveu unicamente este livro, dando origem ao primeiro filme, cuja rodagem ele acompanhou. Infelizmente, viria a morrer co
Helin Puksand
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
Raamatut mäletan oma lapsepõlvest. Ma ei suuda meenutada, kas ma olen seda varem lugenud või mitte, sest Lassie lugu on tuttav ju kõigile. Lausa nii tuttav, et tahaks kõikidele kaunitele kollidele Lassie öelda. Nii et kui hea sõber Eiemari pani oma kollile nimeks Lasse, siis tundus see kohe õige ja loomuliku valikuna ega tekitanud küsimusi. ;)
Raamat räägib koera ustavusest oma perele. See sunnib teda ka tuhandete miilide kaugusel koju tagasi pöörduma. Oma teel kohtub ta nii halbade kui heade ini
Mira
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, classics, kids
The nine-year-old me loved this book to bits and pieces, and no wonder. It's such a moving and heartwarming story for anyone who identifies her/himself as a dog person.
Dan
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics
I read this when I was twelve. I didn't know there was a book behind the TV show till then.
Horsegirl
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Joshua B
Sep 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great
Judy
Aug 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
This is described as being a "new picture-book edition written for young readers." The art is beautifully done by Susan Jeffers. She captures elements of the story that will help young (and old) readers visualize the setting. There's a beautifully rendered full-page map that shows Lassie's journey from the very north of Scotland to Greenall Bridge in England.

I have not read the original version of Lassie, but this seems to capture the essence of the story. There were a couple places where the st
Amy Keane
May 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read this to my son recently and it is wonderful! A friend gave it to me because she and I have a dream-in-planning to visit England next summer with our families. It takes place in Northern England in Yorkshire, so I tried my best to read it aloud to my son using a Yorkshire accent. I am sure I sounded Scottish. Lassie is taken by a wealthy lord to his home in Scotland to train for dog shows. Of course she misses her "boy" and makes her way back.

The book we read had a map of the regions invo
Samuel Arnett
This book is awesome i mean awesome.its about this dog named Lassie and her best friend Joe the human,Joe's dad is Sam and his mother.Lassie is a well known dog the hole naberhood knows her,until this mean nasty man named the Duke.The Duke loved this dog so he bought her off of Joe.well Sam.So the Duke takes her home.The Duke is A very rich man,the reason why he's rich is because he trains the dog he collects and put's them in show's.The Duke owns these cage's and keeps the dogs in there.so its ...more
Alex Gaboury
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

A spectacular book!
SPOILER ALERT:

A beatiful book about a dog who tries to find her way home. She starts with her family as a fine dog. She has never left this family. She waits for her little master after he has completed the school day. One day she is sold to a mean duke who doesn't spend a lot of time with her. She escapes to her family, but is always brought back. One day she is taken hundreds of miles away from her family. She finds her way back home, to the suprise of many people. On her wa
Greta
Jan 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Verona
Jul 31, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this to my girls before nap time, it took us a couple days. My girls were concerned because I was crying at the end, but we made it through.great story about a boy and his dog. the dog is sold to a wealthy family because the Dad lost his job and they need money. However, the dog keeps getting away and returning to the boy.Then the new owner takes her 800 miles away and of course she escapes and heads home. the book is a tender account of her hardships to reach her beloved boy.It has a happy ...more
Attila
Apr 03, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals
Lassie Come-Home is about a dog who finds her way home to her owners after walking several hundreds of miles and going through various hardships and adventures. Read it when I was about 10 years old; at that time it did not leave much of an impression on me, but I would like to revisit it with adult eyes.
Goodreads Librari...: Please correct 978-2013219549 3 12 Apr 11, 2016 10:29AM
  • Lad: A Dog
  • Big Red (Big Red, #1)
  • National Velvet
  • Bambi
  • Gentle Ben
  • My Friend Flicka (Flicka, #1)
  • The Black Stallion and Flame (The Black Stallion, #15)
  • Justin Morgan Had a Horse
  • Only One Woof
  • The Incredible Journey
  • Beautiful Joe
  • Kazan
  • The 101 Dalmatians (The Hundred and One Dalmatians, #1)
  • Babe: The Gallant Pig
  • A Dog So Small
  • Hans Brinker, or the Silver Skates
  • Ash Road
  • Clorofila del Cielo Azul
An author who is mainly notable for creating the fictional collie Lassie.

He was a native of Yorkshire in England, and had a varied career, including service in the Canadian Army during World War I and spells as an art student, newspaper reporter and Hollywood screenwriter.

His first novel was Song on Your Bugles (1936) about the working class in Northern England. As "Richard Hallas," he wrote the h
More about Eric Knight

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • As Close to Us as Breathing: A Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Father's Day
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
  • The Wednesday Sisters
  • Allie and Bea
  • After the War Is Over: A Novel
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Shanghai Girls (Shanghai Girls #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • All the Summer Girls
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Girl From the Train
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Winds (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #3)
  • If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This