SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

Retired Topics > Crusader's 100+

Comments Showing 1-50 of 166 (166 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Crusader (new)

Crusader (crusaderza) | 2453 comments Mod
I'm aiming for 100 books this year. Last year I managed around 60.

These are the ones I've already read so far:
A is for Alibi
The Last Continent
The Lake House
Thief of Time
The 6th Target
The Naked God
4th of July
Triptych
Act Of War
The Neutronium Alchemist
2nd Chance
When the Wind Blows

message 2: by Crusader (new)

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan I've never counted how many books I've read in any given time period, but I can get through an average paper back in a day or two, unless my life is particularly busy. Perhaps I should keep a list of what I've read then I can also recommend the best to other bibliophiles. What about books one abandons because you know you don't have the time to spend reading something that is a waste of time (I finally grew out of feeling I had to finish everything I started) - do they count too?

message 4: by Lauren (last edited Feb 16, 2010 09:49PM) (new)

Lauren Smith Keeping a list is what GoodReads is for :) If you use the currently-reading function, it will record the date you finished a book (unless you're re-reading, then you have to alter the old date). And of course you can just make a thread like this one.

I don't count abandoned books as read, I don't see why, because, well, I haven't really read them. However, I have a shelf tag - 'unfinished' - for all those books. I don't feel I have to finish what I start, but I do find that most of the time I'm just in the wrong mood for a book, and if I go back to it later I will enjoy it, so it's good to keep a record.

PS: Sorry for invading your thread Crusader!)

message 5: by Crusader (new)

You thread hijackers!!!

No problem at all. That's what threads are for.

I only started keeping track of the books I read last year, and then not very accurately.

This year I've made it a goal to do a proper job and with Goodreads it's actually quite easy. I've made a 2010 Read shelf and that makes it very easy to keep track.

As for abandoned books, I don't count a boo unless I actually finish it.

And on that note:
14: Cat & Mouse

message 6: by Crusader (new)

15: Night Watch

message 8: by Crusader (new)

17: Roses Are Red

message 9: by Crusader (new)

message 10: by Crusader (last edited Mar 03, 2010 08:37AM) (new)

19: 7th Heaven

I'm starting to really enjoy the Woman's Murder Club series. Best of all it makes for some fast and gripping reading. Managed to finish this one in a day.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I see you enjoy James Patterson as a whole Crusader??? I love his books...

message 12: by Crusader (new)

20: 8th Confession

Yes, James Patterson is pretty good. I like the fast pace of his novels since it's quite easy to finish one in a single day (which I did with 7th Heaven and 8th Confession).

His Alex Cross series seems to be much darker than WMC, but it's very good as well.

I actually started reading Patterson since my small local library has run out of SciFi books I haven't read yet. I spend more time trying to find a book I haven't read yet, than actually finding ones I want to read.

I decided to grab an interesting looking author and read all the books they have of that author. James Patterson was the first, and I've just about read all his books currently available at the library. The downside is that you can't always manage to read the books in the series order, but it makes life kinda interesting.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I know what you mean, I love how James writes his chapters within 1 or 2 pages, makes the book flow better... and the twists at the end... cause there's always a twist! Love it.

I'm going slow on the WMC reading it at work, but read Lifeguard, The Beach House, Beach Road and The Lake House recently, thought it was amazing, I just think he's one of those rare writers who can never become boring

message 14: by Crusader (new)

21: Without Fail

My first Lee Child novel. Quite enjoyable although quite slow in places.

message 16: by Crusader (new)

23: Against A Dark Background

This was a slow read and not on par with the Culture novels. Almost gave it around page 300, but luckily it did pick up at the last 150 or so pages.

message 17: by Crusader (new)

24: Shadows

Very gruesome at times. Somewhat of a disappointing ending since the author ends with a twist that really doesn't make all that much sense.

message 18: by Crusader (new)

25: Step on a Crack

Very interesting read. Different than the WMC but just as gripping. I like the new character this books focuses on. Highly recommended!

message 19: by Crusader (new)

26: Sail

Makes for a nice break from Patterson's normal type of novels.

message 20: by Crusader (new)

27: Persuader

message 21: by Crusader (new)

28: The Enemy

message 24: by Crusader (new)

31: Chosen Prey

message 25: by Crusader (new)

32: Ghosts of Onyx

A surprisingly good read for a novel based on an XBox game.

message 26: by Crusader (new)

message 27: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith What did you think of The Wasp Factory Crusader? I read the first bit, looks very good, and it's been M-less Banks list for a while.

message 28: by Crusader (new)

It's decent it a weird kind of way. This was his first novel and the storyline is plain strange. It's pretty macabre and gruesome in bits: the main character blows up a rabbit with a pipebomb, has candles with live wasp in them, and his lunatic brother has escaped from a mental institution and likes to set dogs on fire... and EAT them!

message 29: by Crusader (new)

35: Mostly Harmless

message 30: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1081 comments Crusader wrote: "It's decent it a weird kind of way. This was his first novel and the storyline is plain strange. It's pretty macabre and gruesome in bits: the main character blows up a rabbit with a pipebomb, ..."

Sounds like a great fireside read lol

message 32: by Crusader (new)

38: Dead Men

message 33: by Crusader (new)

message 34: by Crusader (new)

message 35: by Crusader (new)

41: Echo Park

message 36: by Crusader (new)

42: Compulsion

message 37: by Crusader (new)

43: The Red Dahlia

message 38: by Crusader (new)

44: The Woods

message 39: by Sonette (new)

Sonette | 384 comments 43. Any comments on Red Dahlia? I just loved the Anna Travis books! Can't wait for the next one!

message 40: by Crusader (new)

I enjoyed it although the pace was somewhat slow at times. This was the first book I read so it could be that I missed out on some of the history between some of the characters.

message 41: by Sonette (new)

Sonette | 384 comments You have to read the rest!!

message 42: by Crusader (new)

45: The Narrows

message 43: by Crusader (new)

46: Dead Run

I'm a bit behind schedule. Will need to find some more time or read shorter books.

message 44: by Crusader (last edited Jul 10, 2010 12:18PM) (new)

47: The Way of Shadows

Gripping fantasy that looks like it has the making of an excellent trilogy. Can't wait till the 2nd and 3rd book gets returned to the library so I can read the rest.

message 46: by Crusader (new)

50: Shadow's Edge - Very good!

message 47: by Crusader (new)

51: Beyond the Shadows - Very good!

It's not often that you come across a trilogy you just want to finish in one sitting. The Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks is excellent. Highly recommended!

message 49: by Crusader (new)

53: Live Fire

message 50: by Crusader (new)

« previous 1 3 4